Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1065020457764704256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone actually read the Nagle book?

Was wondering if there's loads of foreboding for her increasing alt-right congeniality. She appears to be heading down the 'Tim Pool Rabbithole'.

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019
It never ceases to amaze me that people think Nagle is arguing in favor of racism rather than pointing out one the origins of working-class racism and what to do about it (make it so that the global economy isn't hosed in such a way that everyone must flock to the rich imperialist countries, and make it so people who do migrate aren't being exploited and undercutting the wages of local labor).

PRESIDENT LADYCOP has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jun 23, 2019

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

I'm quite enjoying the revolutions podcast, just on the 3rd episode. so much to get through tho.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the motion for debate is literally just a collection of words to me, completely wretched empty headed nonsense.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kill All Normies isn't good, and anyone who reads it should go in knowing they'll be let down. You can take away whatever you like from the book because Nagle isn't a very rigorous thinker. She doesn't think very hard about solutions to the problems she lays out, and often formulates the problems poorly in the first place. The haters are partially right: she sucks at getting across her points in the text and comes off looking like a reactionary because of it. She did much better in advance interviews, ironically.

It's obvious to me that she followed the fame after publication and ended up in some vaguely center-left bubble of too-online cranks and sadboys.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat what the gently caress is up with that dudes eyes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRESIDENT LADYCOP posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that people think Nagle is arguing in favor of racism rather than pointing out one the origins of working-class racism and what to do about it (make it so that the global economy isn't hosed in such a way that everyone must flock to the rich imperialist countries, and make it so people who do migrate aren't being exploited and undercutting the wages of local labor).

everyone should stay where they are born, except for me, an irish phd who gets to travel freely to the us and the eu

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

Badger of Basra posted:

everyone should stay where they are born, except for me, an irish phd who gets to travel freely to the us and the eu

Yeah, it's almost like brain drain and mass emigration are problems that require solutions at the national and international level rather than the individual.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, it's almost like brain drain and mass emigration are problems that require solutions at the national and international level rather than the individual.

this still presupposes that the good and natural thing is for people to stay where they are born, and not to move

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"we gotta get more racist" -good praxis, apparently

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

Badger of Basra posted:

this still presupposes that the good and natural thing is for people to stay where they are born, and not to move

Yes, it's bad when people feel compelled to leave their homes because staying is not economically viable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

really queer Christmas posted:

I just finished the French Revolution series, you can definitely tell he's still pretty liberal because of how squeamish he got over the terror. when he covered Kosciuskos revolt and mentioned that 20,000 poles died in a single day because of the Russians wanting revenge compared to 16K Frenchmen dying over the entire span of the terror... I got my answer on how bad it really was.

it's still a good series and I'm looking forward to starting Haiti next week. also, you should really give a listen to citations needed OP, they're absolutely fantastic.

quote:

Like in his previous battles, when he had ordered his men to spare non-combatants and the evacuation of townspeople,[12] Suvorov issued an order on 3 November 1794 that included special instructions regarding the treatment of enemy civilians, "Do not enter houses; spare any enemy asking for quarter; do not kill unarmed men; do not make war on women; do not touch youngsters".[13][14] However, after the battle spread to the streets[15] and the insurgents hid in civilian houses,[16] vowing to fight to the last man,[17] the Russian troops, against the orders given by Suvorov prior to the battle, started to invade the houses held by the insurgents and killed a number of townspeople in revenge for the slaughter of the Russian Garrison in Warsaw...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Praga#Massacre

Yes, these two situations are entirely similar.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

y’all are gonna lose your minds when the revolutions guy says that maybe the Soviets did something bad once

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Lol 16,000 poles and 20,000 Frenchmen

Over 80,000 children have starved to death from our genocide in Yemen since 2016

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

CountFosco posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Praga#Massacre

Yes, these two situations are entirely similar.

yeah the suvarov one is worse because a lot of the people who got got in the terror had it coming

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

"She doesn't support racism, she's pointing out that it's existence is justified specifically because the left aren't infallible actors who've already created the perfect socio-economic system"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bedshaped posted:

Has anyone actually read the Nagle book?

Was wondering if there's loads of foreboding for her increasing alt-right congeniality. She appears to be heading down the 'Tim Pool Rabbithole'.

Kill All Normies is extremely forboding of someone who doesnt quite understand anything thats going on and learned everything they know on 4chan and accepted a great deal of it uncritically.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

y’all are gonna lose your minds when the revolutions guy says that maybe the Soviets did something bad once

"Lenin, like Robespierre, did nothing wrong"
-Michael Duncan

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
she could have interviewed goons and made a far better thesis based around the “failson”

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Kill All Normies is extremely forboding of someone who doesnt quite understand anything thats going on and learned everything they know on 4chan and accepted a great deal of it uncritically.

it's pretty good as an anthropological study of the lovely tribe in question

as literally anything else it's godawful and somewhere along the line she got the idea it was something else.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's pretty good as an anthropological study of the lovely tribe in question

as literally anything else it's godawful and somewhere along the line she got the idea it was something else.

She literally just took them at their word that they turned radical because of feminists.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Has Nagel done anything besides making leftist posters thirsty?

Serious question

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Has Nagel done anything besides making leftist posters thirsty?

Serious question

i don't think you know what "thirsty" means

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dr. Killjoy posted:

she could have interviewed goons and made a far better thesis based around the “failson”

to be fair I think one or two "academics" already tried this and the results were disastrous yet hilarious

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
they should interview me I'm an expert on 4chan circa 2004-2013

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I think there is a truth in 4chan and Tumblr rhyming, in that they were both places filled with people constantly foaming at the mouth at fake screenshots and endless cruelty for themselves and each other, both in their respective in groups and outside them

I think this is more the result of having a bunch of alienated young people with politics completely stripped of any class consciousness and a feeling of total powerlessness, along with the fact that these kind of groups allow people who would previously "age out" of this kind of stuff, because even if they didn't their friends would go on to meet people and settle down get married etc.
the idea that either of them "caused" each other or whatever justifies whatever else doesn't make any sense because both groups are simply products of their environment, at one point they thrived off each other, but at this point both are indistinguishable from parodies enough it doesn't matter, also current 4chan is a very different userbase from back then, as is Tumblr id guess, so it's not really useful or interesting unless you care about internet culture history

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

This general perception feeds the weird victim mentality of magazines like Quillette, which they use to lend a bogus nobility to their various articles peddling right-wing pseudo-history and defending scientific racism. It is what has allowed the comedian Andrew Doyle to receive what must be, judging by the amount of coverage he has received recently in the British press, a pretty hefty advance for a book ostensibly authored by “Titania McGrath,” a sort of cack-handed parody of an online left-wing commentator — exactly the sort of person middle-aged men like to imagine is telling them they're not allowed to say whatever they want any more. And it is what led Angela Nagle, who used to be seen as being “of the left” before she started hanging out with alt-right YouTubers and voicing anti-immigration rhetoric in conservative magazines, to declare in Kill All Normies that “the politics of transgression” was no longer the purview of the left, but rather a resurgent and dynamic right.

According to Nagle, in the 1960s “transgression” was enshrined as a virtue by left liberals, who sought to profane and dismantle every stuffy hang-up and crusty preconception of a dully moralistic conservative establishment. Left-wing politics was thus lent a subversive thrill, joyfully energizing a vibrant counter-culture. But nowadays, what is stuffy and crusty is the PC left, who in Nagle's view are driving a young people to the right by moralizing about every little thing that, in the name of equality or compassion, we must or must not say.

By contrast, spaces like the /b/ board on 4chan, associated with the Pepe-posting culture of online Trump supporters, are the inheritors of a tradition which Nagle insists “can be traced” from the Marquis de Sade through Nietzsche and the surrealists to bell hooks: glorious niches of liberation, in which posters are free to shrug off the constraints of “imposed morality” and laugh at whatever the hell they want to, from suicide to disability. Thus /b/ ripples with what Nagle identifies as a “carnivalesque” laughter, “the laughter of all the people... universal in scope... directed at all and everyone, including the carnival's participants.”

But of course: the problem with this theory is that it is flatly and obviously false: a fantasy painted by a writer whose book is primarily interested in punching left, despite the MacGuffin of it purporting to be about understanding the right. Yes, some people identified with the “online left” can be heavy-handedly pious at times: but “the left” is also a spectrum that runs the gamut from the British Labour party to the IWW to crudely humorous podcasts like Chapo Trap House, which for better or worse can hardly be accused of sanctimonious moralizing.

[...]

In the case of 4chan, this is particularly striking: the “transgressive” behavior and language which Nagle identifies with /b/ precisely serves to demarcate the limits of a particular community. “/b/ is the guy who tells the cripple ahead of him in line to hurry up,” runs an anonymous poster's manifesto, as quoted by Nagle. “/b/ is the first to get to the window to see the car accident... /b/ is the best friend that tags along to your first date and cock-blocks throughout the night. The decent girl you're trying to bag walks out on the date, /b/ laughs and takes you home when you're drunk, and you wake up to several hookers in your house who /b/ called for you.”

If someone went on /b/ and did not act like the other posters do, did not use language in the way that they do, did not call everyone and everything by homophobic slurs, refused to hound the grieving families of teenage suicide victims, then they would simply not fit in. Thus /b/'s laughter cannot be what Nagle claims it is: the carnivalesque “laughter of all the people.” /b/'s laughter is only — as should have been obvious to everyone to begin with — the laughter of /b/. And if you wanted to share in it, as a member of the /b/ community, then you'd have to be careful not to transgress /b/'s norms. (More recent news, which broke after I’d written the bulk of this article, suggests to us that what communities like /b/ ultimately induce in the world at large is not raucous laughter, but mute horror.)

https://theoutline.com/post/7219/free-speech-debates-are-silly

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

She's not wrong.

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

MizPiz posted:

"She doesn't support racism, she's pointing out that it's existence is justified specifically because the left aren't infallible actors who've already created the perfect socio-economic system"

She never claimed racism was justified. She claimed there are material conflicts between different segments of the working class and that the left must address those conflicts, not just stick our fingers in our ears and shout "RACISM!!!" when they are brought up, because if we don't the right is perfectly willing to to address them with racism.

PRESIDENT LADYCOP has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Jun 23, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

She never claimed racism was justified. She claimed there are material conflicts between different segments of the working class and that the left must address those conflicts, not just stick our fingers in our ears and shout "RACISM!!!" when they are brought up, because if we don't the right is perfectly willing to to address them with racism.

the material conflicts between those "different segments of the working class" are caused by white supremacy though

addressing the racism at the root of these problems is the literal opposite of sticking your fingers in your ears.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

420 Gank Mid posted:

the material conflicts between those "different segments of the working class" are caused by white supremacy though

addressing the racism at the root of these problems is the literal opposite of sticking your fingers in your ears.

They're caused by the global system of capitalism which can be completely color blind when it's convenient. Racism is one way of making people accept the horrible injustice of the system, not the cause of the injustice.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Grevling posted:

They're caused by the global system of capitalism which can be completely color blind when it's convenient. Racism is one way of making people accept the horrible injustice of the system, not the cause of the injustice.

Neither racism nor capitalism are subordinate to the other but rather feed into each other in perfect symbiosis. Trying to disentangle that Gordian knot is pointless

Also white supremacy and chattel slavery were absolutely a foundational cause of capital accumulation necessary for the modern international capitalist system.

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

420 Gank Mid posted:

So, like, if somebody objects to having their job outsourced to a different country where their boss can get away with paying a lower wage, or a union member objects to their boss hiring migrants at less than the union wage, the only basis for those objections is white supremacy? And, let me guess, if they're politically organized enough to get the state to intervene in their favor, that's fascism? I understand now, the true left-wing position is the abolition of unions and labor parties.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

So, like, if somebody objects to having their job outsourced to a different country

lmao, hell of a euphemism

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

420 Gank Mid posted:

lmao, hell of a euphemism

I'm gonna level with you, I have no idea if you think the word "outsourced" is dumb or if you think opposing the free movement of capital is racist.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I'm gonna level with you, I have no idea if you think the word "outsourced" is dumb or if you think opposing the free movement of capital is racist.

Human beings are not capital, fascist.

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019

420 Gank Mid posted:

Human beings are not capital, fascist.

If you think it's racist for organized labor to oppose a corporation closing a factory in one country and re-opening it in another because the cost of labor is cheaper in the latter country, you're the kind of woke neoliberal Nagle is criticizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

If you think it's racist for organized labor to oppose a corporation closing a factory in one country and re-opening it in another because the cost of labor is cheaper in the latter country, you're the kind of woke neoliberal Nagle is criticizing.

That's not what the chinese exclusion act did you complete moron. You're willfully using lovely euphemisms to paper over your rampant racism with a faux-left veneer. Just like nagle.