Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I can see that in theory, but I live in Australia and have characters in the NA servers (because the alternative is playing with Australians), so most of my gameplay is in off-peak hours for most of the playerbase.

We have a fledgeling Asia-Pacific goon fc on Kujata if you want to play with Aus goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

It looks a bit like Scholar's situational buffs (as well as some team buffs in other games I've played), where you can probably do just fine by slamming things when they're off cooldown but putting in the effort to figure out the right timings in relation to everyone else can go a long way. There's a lot of space between 'decent play' and 'high-level play' but you're still worth having around if you're closer to the 'decent' side of things, which is also something I enjoyed about Scholar.

I think you're overestimating the complexity. You're going to be hitting your dps CDs on cooldown, because they're going to line up with trick attack and every one else's raid burst windows. (Sabre, Technical on 120, Flourish on 60.) You have one dance partner otherwise, which you're going to hit every 30s with standard step. Beyond that you have a party physical defence boost, and a heal which will be situational. They don't have a wide variety of defensive buffs or situational tools, especially compared to SCH.

There's going to be dps optimization of course, but as far as buffing goes it's probably pretty simple and it's going to follow party/encounter lines. If anything the hardest part will likely be how spammy the job can get with all the DDRs and oGCDs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I can see that in theory, but I live in Australia and have characters in the NA servers (because the alternative is playing with Australians), so most of my gameplay is in off-peak hours for most of the playerbase.

As someone in the same position, possibly more so being a West Aussie, don't worry about it PFs pop up all the time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ibblebibble posted:

We have a fledgeling Asia-Pacific goon fc on Kujata if you want to play with Aus goons.

kujata is good there are barely any english speakers

it rules

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Dunno if they post, but a friend suggested we do maps and we grabbed someone out of FC chat to make four and took them on their first maps run. Shout out to Eden! We had a blast and we got like 6 portals in 7 maps (counting a bonus map dropping in a run) and even got the new spinner roulette canal I wasn't aware existed! It's always enjoyable to take someone on their first map run so they get to see all the different fake outs the game can throw at you! :D

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mikeycp posted:

kujata is good there are barely any english speakers

it rules

It shares a data center with Tonberry so there's plenty of English speakers here :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ibblebibble posted:

It shares a data center with Tonberry so there's plenty of English speakers here :shrug:

i turned off english matching so i only see then when they're dirtying up limsa

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Cleretic posted:

So, I need actual help in picking a new job, because I'm not even certain what I'm looking for is actually in the game.

I mained Scholar for most of my playtime. Not necessarily because I wanted to heal (although the short queue times didn't hurt), but because I enjoyed that Scholar wasn't really a job with a rote skill chain. The real strength of Scholar was all of its weird situational cooldown skills, making them a lot less about execution of a set sequence (although it sort of had a bread-and-butter combo) and more about reading the fight and deploying the weird esoteric skill that was useful at right this moment. It got really fun and frantic for some of the harder bosses, where it ends up feeling like you're spinning five plates at once.

The strict rotations of DPS classes might seem really boring, but in difficult content they can take a lot of focus to execute properly and I found it really satisfying to just stop dying in extreme trials and to put out a really good DPS parse.

I think we agree the best part of Scholar and healing in general is trying to minimise your healing and maximising everything else. The big draw for me back in the day was stance dancing with cleric stance, because it was exciting to take the risk of being unable to heal properly if something went bad (except Scholar had a Lustrate with a percentage based heal back then).

I think what you're looking for is just going to be the most technical DPS class you can find, or something you can still feel min-maxy on. BLM might be a pretty good fit, but I've never really played them. Astrologian will probably be the most fun healer to play in ShB, so maybe that.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

mikeycp posted:

i turned off english matching so i only see then when they're dirtying up limsa

:same:

I found the skill floor is much higher after doing that. Doesn't work for savage, but I've started a static to cover that purpose.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh nice, I've been thinking of moving over from Primal DC

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Krabboss posted:

The strict rotations of DPS classes might seem really boring, but in difficult content they can take a lot of focus to execute properly and I found it really satisfying to just stop dying in extreme trials and to put out a really good DPS parse.

I think we agree the best part of Scholar and healing in general is trying to minimise your healing and maximising everything else. The big draw for me back in the day was stance dancing with cleric stance, because it was exciting to take the risk of being unable to heal properly if something went bad (except Scholar had a Lustrate with a percentage based heal back then).

I think what you're looking for is just going to be the most technical DPS class you can find, or something you can still feel min-maxy on. BLM might be a pretty good fit, but I've never really played them. Astrologian will probably be the most fun healer to play in ShB, so maybe that.

Like I said, I've tried Black Mage before (it was actually my first ever job, although I abandoned it sometime around mid-Heavensward in favor of the SMN/SCH duo), and I feel like it's a bit too much. The mechanics of it get really involved, and it's a strain to keep things up because when I got disrupted, it was a lot more about just resetting everything and building up rather than the more improvisational and reactive style that Scholar has when things get tough. I think Black Mage is overall the job that struggles most in 'poo poo's gone haywire' situations, since so much of it is reliant on setup and long-ish cast times.

The DPS job I've tried that I really had high hopes for was Ninja, because it did look like it had that 'situational toolbox' style with the combo system, the basic skills doing extra positional damage, and the mudra skills. But the mudra skills sort of killed it for me, because that's not really the basket of situational skills it looks like at first, it's a basket of 'Huton, Raiton and sometimes Doton' with some extra obfuscation.

It does look like Dancer has a lot of the feel that I was hoping Ninja has, and a similar energy to what I liked about Scholar, so that's good. And Samurai seems like it could play in that improvisational style now that I'm looking at it. Astrologian I might check out, since it does seem to have gotten a little crazy in a good way in its efforts to keep up, but I'm not sure.

I do wish that Machinist were more up my alley mechancially, because it's absolutely my thing aesthetically.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Like I said, I've tried Black Mage before (it was actually my first ever job, although I abandoned it sometime around mid-Heavensward in favor of the SMN/SCH duo), and I feel like it's a bit too much. The mechanics of it get really involved, and it's a strain to keep things up because when I got disrupted, it was a lot more about just resetting everything and building up rather than the more improvisational and reactive style that Scholar has when things get tough. I think Black Mage is overall the job that struggles most in 'poo poo's gone haywire' situations, since so much of it is reliant on setup and long-ish cast times.

The DPS job I've tried that I really had high hopes for was Ninja, because it did look like it had that 'situational toolbox' style with the combo system, the basic skills doing extra positional damage, and the mudra skills. But the mudra skills sort of killed it for me, because that's not really the basket of situational skills it looks like at first, it's a basket of 'Huton, Raiton and sometimes Doton' with some extra obfuscation.

It does look like Dancer has a lot of the feel that I was hoping Ninja has, and a similar energy to what I liked about Scholar, so that's good. And Samurai seems like it could play in that improvisational style now that I'm looking at it. Astrologian I might check out, since it does seem to have gotten a little crazy in a good way in its efforts to keep up, but I'm not sure.

I do wish that Machinist were more up my alley mechancially, because it's absolutely my thing aesthetically.

New Machinist could be your thing, although they won't have a lot of situational stuff or room to improvise still. You could try tanking, but I think in a lot of content they can be pretty dull, especially now that there's no stance dancing in ShB.

It's pretty sad I think what the game has lost by continuously stripping things away from Scholar.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nothing in this game really had that kind of design unfortunately, everything is all about managing your internal job mechanics while keeping enough situational awareness to not gently caress up encounter mechanics that are generally designed to make you gently caress up one or the other. No one just has a bag of unconnected tools that you can improvisationally pull out as the situation dictates. You can kind of get that playing healer, but the encounter design being what it is healing at the extreme high end is totally regimented and doesn't actually have that much improv except when things are loving up. That just isn't this game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Nothing in this game really had that kind of design unfortunately, everything is all about managing your internal job mechanics while keeping enough situational awareness to not gently caress up encounter mechanics that are generally designed to make you gently caress up one or the other. No one just has a bag of unconnected tools that you can improvisationally pull out as the situation dictates. You can kind of get that playing healer, but the encounter design being what it is healing at the extreme high end is totally regimented and doesn't actually have that much improv except when things are loving up. That just isn't this game

Bard maybe, but the extent of improvisational play is "Did proc proc? Use proc in ogcd time"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

Bard maybe, but the extent of improvisational play is "Did proc proc? Use proc in ogcd time"
Yeah, you're still working within a framework and trying to keep your plates spinnning. Bard guides always look idiotic when they try to write down the rotation like other jobs, but it does kinda coalesce into a rotation once you get it down.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't get why you're looking for something "reactive" from dps though, at any moment they all have an optimal action which you have to take to maximize dps, everything else is just not getting hit and doing mechanics. Like a couple of others have said the most "reactive" you can get is just playing a healer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Playing through WoW a month ago made me feel like sure, reactive DPS with fast GCD and lots of procs can be fun, but they can have horrible plateaus where you are not doing anything because your cooldowns aren't up, your resources are depleted and nothing is proccing

Dancer is probably going to be the most button intensive class in the game despite her combos not being that long just because of her procc mechanics and resource generation. I dont know if she'll have a feast or famine type of gameplay, I dont think she will have that sort of pitfall because she can always default to the normal rotation if she isn't proccing, so its probably more like feast and super feast.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 23, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I mean, I'm not exactly looking for 'reactive' from DPS specifically. I'm just looking for 'reactive' on Scholar's level, from jobs that aren't Scholar, and for other reasons I've personally tried a lot of DPS jobs. I'm very happy to swing at another healer or a tank, but most jobs are DPS and I'm leaving a healer job, so it makes sense that they're the ones that keep getting suggested. I'm disappointed that tanks generally haven't fit the bill (outside of 'Dark Knight I guess but not for much longer'), but that also makes sense since tanks are kinda by nature required to be prescriptive and setting the pace for everything else.

Tanks in general in XIV have been sort of disappointingly hard for me to get into because they all look really similar, with that similar look being generally unappealing to me. I kept wanting some kind of 'magic tank' option that'd be more aligned with the magic jobs in both playstyle and aesthetic (because it never made sense to me for my Amano-looking willowy main to be clad in big chunky armor) but I know that's not gonna happen.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can they fix BLU please, or just remake it.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

I just had a dungeon run with a very cute Ninja sprout who would turn 180 degrees away from a pull, walk some distance away, turn back and start throwing knives.

Fat_Cow posted:

Can they fix BLU please, or just remake it.

I know the point of BLU and future classes like it is that people are responsible for unlocking the skills and it can happen in any order. And some of the skills are supposed to be overpowered and broken too. I really do wish BLU was just a normal class with a normal rotation that learns skills in its job quests in a BLU-y way.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m getting into the 60s with my monk, which may be a bit late to ask for tips but I’m wondering besides making sure to do the rotation (which I need to look up again, are there any good guides for level 60 monk rotation) or there any general dos and donts I should be considering? It FEELS like I’m doing an ok job (heh), but it can be hard to tell if I’m actually taking too long to kill things.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Krabboss posted:

I just had a dungeon run with a very cute Ninja sprout who would turn 180 degrees away from a pull, walk some distance away, turn back and start throwing knives.

I know the point of BLU and future classes like it is that people are responsible for unlocking the skills and it can happen in any order. And some of the skills are supposed to be overpowered and broken too. I really do wish BLU was just a normal class with a normal rotation that learns skills in its job quests in a BLU-y way.
W

I mean I wish it was a "Solo" class instead of begging friends to take me to kill primals, with RNG skill learning chances. Like, what is the harm in it soloing old content alone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

So, I need actual help in picking a new job, because I'm not even certain what I'm looking for is actually in the game.

-Bard (has some neat-seeming toys but I'm pretty sure Bard is 60% 'trap skills you shouldn't be using' by weight, I ended up just using the same two or three skills constantly and occasionally refreshing a song)

What did you level Bard to? Early on as Archer it does definitely feel like that, enough that they are straight up removing skills from the game next patch and just consolidating stuff. But later on it feels like a pretty adaptive class and you have all sorts of abilities that need you to pay attention to what's happening with procs and such.

Spoiler: I literally only played Bard and am basically new to the game lol

Francis posted:

It doesn't even have to be that nefarious. The time between cutscenes at the end of Praetorium is seconds. If you get sufficiently behind the leader by, say, getting lost or missing an elevator, you can hit the 'activate magitek armor' cutscene late enough that the party hits the nero cutscene before you come out of it. Then more and more cutscenes get added to the stack and you come out of it in the Ultima Weapon fight or not at all.

Better than that, I never actually got into a Magitek. Like I somehow arrived late enough everyone was running out as 7 magiteks and I was a bard running alone lost in a sea of magiteks shooting fire and lasers trying to chase along plinking things with arrows

As soon as the first open the gate cutscene started, I literally did not get a chance to fight anything. It was my first time watching so I actually paid attention but wow that is a lot of cutscene.
After how cool the dungeon before it was I was a bit underwhelmed, as an "ending" to the first campaign I'm sure it's quite cool to experience legitimately and feel like you won properly. If that happened to me again I would honestly just put the controller down and leave the room and come back to my level up

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Since the other two guilds posted theirs, here's TPT's.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Is it too late for SAM glams?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What did you level Bard to? Early on as Archer it does definitely feel like that, enough that they are straight up removing skills from the game next patch and just consolidating stuff. But later on it feels like a pretty adaptive class and you have all sorts of abilities that need you to pay attention to what's happening with procs and such.

Spoiler: I literally only played Bard and am basically new to the game lol

Level 50 at the very least, I think I scraped together another couple levels after that too. My Bard was my alt I was planning on doing Blue Mage stuff with, which then got shelved entirely when I found out that Blue Mage was an overall unsatisfying experience that kinda just wound up falling into its worst possible situation by trying to avoid it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Oh hey if you want a basket of situationally useful skills that you have to play for might I entice you with this very fun but input heavy heale- Aaaaand it's gone.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

small bird pudding posted:

Is it too late for SAM glams?

Makai striking top is always good.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah i think i see your problem here, ya cant really be sure of a play-style until you max a class, and bard in particular gets a number of things that change it up from 50 to 60. Summoner is practically a different class at 70 than at 50 as well, if you didn't max that.

Unfortunately no matter what you will not find a reactive class, all the reactive gameplay in ff14 is in savage raiding and extremes and even then its a sometimes. raids are usually all planned out and if nobody fucks up plays almost the exact same every time. That being said trying to fix fuckups as a healer might be decently reactive, so maybe keep playing sch and actually try doing raids and extremes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I'm not exactly looking for 'reactive' from DPS specifically. I'm just looking for 'reactive' on Scholar's level, from jobs that aren't Scholar, and for other reasons I've personally tried a lot of DPS jobs. I'm very happy to swing at another healer or a tank, but most jobs are DPS and I'm leaving a healer job, so it makes sense that they're the ones that keep getting suggested. I'm disappointed that tanks generally haven't fit the bill (outside of 'Dark Knight I guess but not for much longer'), but that also makes sense since tanks are kinda by nature required to be prescriptive and setting the pace for everything else.

Tanks in general in XIV have been sort of disappointingly hard for me to get into because they all look really similar, with that similar look being generally unappealing to me. I kept wanting some kind of 'magic tank' option that'd be more aligned with the magic jobs in both playstyle and aesthetic (because it never made sense to me for my Amano-looking willowy main to be clad in big chunky armor) but I know that's not gonna happen.

What you're looking for does not exist. Your choices are WHM and AST.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only reason that healers have reactivity is because a large portion of their kit involves interacting with other players who behave unpredictably. Enemy NPCs are, in general, highly predictable, which makes it difficult to introduce reactivity that isn't randomized procs. You could have NPC enemies randomly choosing to perform actions that need to be interrupted or the like, but that's not the kind of game the devs are making.

ShB AST is probably the closest to what Cleretic is looking for. Cards are randomized and have two elements - which job type it's most effective on (ranged vs. melee) and which celestial seal it's aligned to - that require you to quickly determine A) who to put it on and B) whether you need the seal for Horoscope or whether you should Minor Arcana it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, healers will always be complicated and reactive because people are endlessly inventive in their stupidity and you have to be prepared for anything.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Vermain posted:

You could have NPC enemies randomly choosing to perform actions that need to be interrupted or the like, but that's not the kind of game the devs are making.

They're adding interrupts in ShB but given the history of FFXIV design, they'll presumably be scripted like everything else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zoig posted:

Yeah i think i see your problem here, ya cant really be sure of a play-style until you max a class, and bard in particular gets a number of things that change it up from 50 to 60. Summoner is practically a different class at 70 than at 50 as well, if you didn't max that.

Unfortunately no matter what you will not find a reactive class, all the reactive gameplay in ff14 is in savage raiding and extremes and even then its a sometimes. raids are usually all planned out and if nobody fucks up plays almost the exact same every time. That being said trying to fix fuckups as a healer might be decently reactive, so maybe keep playing sch and actually try doing raids and extremes.

Summoner, for the record, I obviously did get to 70 given the fact that I had Scholar at 70. I didn't play it in teams but it was my solo of choice because solo play as a healer is a special circle of hell.

I kinda do want to elaborate on what I felt about Summoner, because I did see someone question it. At level 70 (and from 60-70, in fact) it felt a little weirdly empty, like it was missing a core component of some sort somewhere in its 'middle'. I can slam in the first Dreadwyrm Trance in like fifteen seconds, and then spam Ruin III/IV until it was time to cast Deathflare. And then when Aetherflow's back off cooldown I can slam together another Dreadwyrm Trance, then summon Bahamut and just go ham for a while.

But the point between those Aetherflows was what felt empty. I didn't have much to do, just lay down some debuffs and do a 1-2 punch of Ruin spells while I waited. And I think that might be a consequence of playing Scholar in teams, which always plays like that 'between stage' but has a lot of healing and buffs it could and should be throwing around that Summoner doesn't. So rather than judging Summoner on its own merits, I could only see it as 'I'm playing a lazy, heal-less Scholar, except that sometimes I get to flip the gently caress out'.

I have decided I'm definitely giving Astrologian a swing, though. I can get a head start on getting that together before Shadowbringers launches, and while I probably won't be at 70 by the time it does I'll at least be a fair way along.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the Job you're looking for is... Scholar.

Ultimately they're only going to lose a couple fairy abilities, but the rest of their toolkit remains, and they gain a few other tools on top.

Their dps set is simplified, which might be a bit boring, but the only interesting or improvisational part of it now is if aetherflow's cooldown is 5 times the number of stacks you have remaining. If an interesting dps toolkit is important, don't look at any healer unfortunately.

Astrologian will have some improvisation based on your card draw, but otherwise their toolkit seems smaller than Scholar.

White Mage will just decide which of their hundred raw healing options is appropriate at the time.

e: As you're levelling Astro now, try not to get attached to the current card buffs, or Royal Road. They're out.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 23, 2019

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
To other people playing potatoes, do you get a lot of people doing /pat and other creepy emotes at you when you're just minding your business in-world, or is playing on a Preferred server maybe skewing my experience? I guess it's nice that people will occasionally actually acknowledge each other's existence in dungeons, but I'm really not enjoying this whole aspect of FFXIV being "more community-focused" than WoW at the moment. I don't want to have creepy weirdos doing poo poo in my general direction when I'm just minding my own business and doing stuff solo.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HELLO LADIES posted:

To other people playing potatoes, do you get a lot of people doing /pat and other creepy emotes at you when you're just minding your business in-world, or is playing on a Preferred server maybe skewing my experience? I guess it's nice that people will occasionally actually acknowledge each other's existence in dungeons, but I'm really not enjoying this whole aspect of FFXIV being "more community-focused" than WoW at the moment. I don't want to have creepy weirdos doing poo poo in my general direction when I'm just minding my own business and doing stuff solo.

That's pretty much lalafel life as far as I've gathered from friends who play them. They all have stories like that.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

That's pretty much lalafel life as far as I've gathered from friends who play them. They all have stories like that.

It goes both ways, as any skirt-wearers can tell you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

My experience is that there's the occasional /pet but that's pretty much it. I don't think I've had an experience I can call "creepy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
If you want to play the creepy weirdo race you sign up for a token amount of mockery. :shrug: