Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Having non-encrypted patient data on a phone is probably a no-no, but medical record apps generally require a separate login. Either way, having an EMR app on your phone would be a good excuse to not unlock it for TSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah that’s not the concern. I just wonder if telling TSA to gently caress off to somehow be a bad thing clearance-wise like getting arrested or whatever.

I suppose it depends on the outcome of telling them that. But who knows?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I could be wrong but I believe HIPAA only applies to health care workers anyway.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Most LEO jobs have a system where if you get arrested, your higher ups and/or HR automatically get notified. I'd imagine that's the case for federal jobs, but I'm not sure.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I could be wrong but I believe HIPAA only applies to health care workers anyway.

It applies to all employees in healthcare settings, from cooks to security guards or campus police, to janitors or anyone else. They don't actually have to be nurses or doctors or techs of any sort.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bored As gently caress posted:

It applies to all employees in healthcare settings, from cooks to security guards or campus police, to janitors or anyone else. They don't actually have to be nurses or doctors or techs of any sort.

Right, but not to TSA agents, is my point.

A TSA rear end in a top hat on a power trip would not get in trouble for doing anything with patient data, because they are not bound by HIPAA.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 23, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s a loophole I never saw coming :stonklol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Right, but not to TSA agents, is my point.

A TSA rear end in a top hat on a power trip would not get in trouble for doing anything with patient data, because they are not bound by HIPAA.

....no, actually, accidental leaks still place weight upon those who receive it, and if a TSA agent leaked HIPAA data they would likely be held liable.

But no doctor should be carrying medical patient data on their phone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what’s the deal with this if you have a (civilian) security clearance? On the one hand I’m just enough of a prick to tell a TSA agent who wants into my phone to pound sand and deal with the delay and bullshit, on the other hand I like having a job and paying rent.

You tell them you can't be party to violating Federal law and if they question you further you call the legal department of whoever you work for, whether a Federal agency or a contractor, to talk to them about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
TS/SCI = "Tough poo poo/Stop Complaining Idiot" to the TSA.

The TSA has very few good eggs and way, *way* more bad eggs that are permanently pissed off that *you're* going someplace and they're staying *right there*, every day.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TS/SCI = "Tough poo poo/Stop Complaining Idiot" to the TSA.

The TSA has very few good eggs and way, *way* more bad eggs that are permanently pissed off that *you're* going someplace and they're staying *right there*, every day.

Yup, they're the only agencies union that endorsed Trump because of little brother syndrome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

demand to speak to a GS light colonel equivalent

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EBB posted:

demand to speak to a GS light colonel equivalent

What, so you can make fun of his house when he gives you the same response as the minion?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Refusal to voluntarily unlock your devices for search by TSA means they will indefinitely confiscate them and try to brute force their way into them instead.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr. Nice! posted:

Refusal to voluntarily unlock your devices for search by TSA means they will indefinitely confiscate them and try to brute force their way into them instead.

And you can then report them to the federal agency which says you're not allowed to share the information in them. It's out of your hands, literally and figuratively.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I work for an international organization that falls under the UN charter, and both my phone, laptop and iPad have huge stickers on them basically saying “if you search this device, you’re violating the UN charter and there will be consequences” in both English and French. I have never run into an issue coming back into the US (I have Global Entry and a UN lasseiz-passez which confers certain privileges, but not full immunity) but that said, I’m always ready for someone on a power trip to screw with me whenever I come back from a trip.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MRC48B posted:

"We're not arresting or charging you, but you can't have counsel or leave" what the gently caress.

lol ok then I'm leaving and you can arrest me and get me a lawyer if you want

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

That's fair, just prepare for the rear end-beating of your life.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If I ever fly internationally i'm shipping my phone through fedex or something and just reading a physical book on the plane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

my kinda ape posted:

In a lot of those cases you're being prevented from entering the USA not just getting on a flight. You're not free to go, because you're trying to come into the country and they literally do not have to let you in if they don't want.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've got friends who travel international a lot, and can't stand the TSA, so they just factory reset their phones when they come in.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

If I ever fly internationally i'm shipping my phone through fedex or something and just reading a physical book on the plane.

Enjoy the rectal cavity search, since they'll never believe in ~TYOOL~ 2019+ that you don't have a smartphone on you. Better ship your laptop, too.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’ve often wondered about getting a cheap Android phone and making a new throwaway email address to use as my personal device when I go overseas. Not just because of the US, but because lots of governments have Stingrays and other devices set up at the airport to basically hoover up everyone’s poo poo when they turn on their phones.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
You guys are underthinking it. Night before/morning of your flight, backup your phone on your laptop. Factory reset your phone. Put the backup file on a secured cloud server or something. Uninstall all your web browsers from your laptop.

Boom, no phone data.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Better yet, since baggage fees are getting so crazy, just mail all of your luggage. TSA agents love it when people come through security with no electronics our luggage!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

Better yet, since baggage fees are getting so crazy, just mail all of your luggage. TSA agents love it when people come through security with no electronics our luggage!

Lol i totally want my poo poo taking a month-never to get there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Bad Poster posted:

Put all the important stuff on an encrypted server, with a passphrase you've memorized. Travel with a dumbphone with ACLU on speed-dial. Buy electronics at a random retail store at your destination, get your important things, and you're good to go.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’ve often wondered about getting a cheap Android phone and making a new throwaway email address to use as my personal device when I go overseas. Not just because of the US, but because lots of governments have Stingrays and other devices set up at the airport to basically hoover up everyone’s poo poo when they turn on their phones.

Yep, friend of mine bought an iPhone 5 last year and brought that with him to the US. He had some innocuous text messages on it from his wife and father, and put on his thickest hillbilly Australian accent, "yeahh nahh I don't really use those things eh?". Bought a cheap laptop and downloaded all his files from his company's secure server, scrubbed it and donated it before coming home. He's in infosec, and not super interested in sharing his poo poo.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

I've got friends who travel international a lot, and can't stand the TSA, so they just factory reset their phones when they come in.

This can be very much a heat score maneuver if they decide to check your phone.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dillbag posted:

This can be very much a heat score maneuver if they decide to check your phone.

As in to see if someone gives a poo poo about you enough to put you through it?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, you have the US NASA scientist with a JPL issue device getting forced to unlock it at the border:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/02/a-nasa-engineer-is-required-to-unlock-his-phone-at-the-border/516489/

I'm sure it doesn't happen often but it does happen.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'm curious what they would do if you told them that it isn't your phone and that you don't know the password. I'm guessing they'd just take it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm curious what they would do if you told them that it isn't your phone and that you don't know the password. I'm guessing they'd just take it?

probably also tase you for going after their gun and arrest you for theft.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Alright, new plan: change the password to a random alphanumeric, email that to someone else, make that the only way to unlock the phone.

Except also register one of your toes on the fingerprint sensor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Except also register one of your toes on the fingerprint sensor.

Always one of the middle ones - they'll expect the big toe and pinkie. :tinfoil:

Better yet, use your *pet's* paw print. :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what if i leave my thumb at home

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

EBB posted:

what if i leave my thumb at home

Replace all of your fingers with thumb drives, set your fingerprint lock to a freckle, mole, or other easily locateable blemish.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don't forget, everyone needs a ~Real ID~ (or military ID/CAC) to fly as of 10/1/20. :rolleyes:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can you set the end of your dick to unlock your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or be like me and just be too poor to fly anywhere