Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bust Rodd posted:

Also is there possibly a spoiler-free way someone can explain which ending is (good) and which is (bad)?
Ultimately there are basically just two endings from beating the last boss, with the first one having two different flavors based on you having a certain item or not and the difference between them is IMO small enough that I wouldn't worry about it. The two endings themselves are extremely obvious/distinct in how they differ and I doubt you will need any help determining both how to access them and which one you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I should go beat the game, then reload and do white palace? Sounds cool.

My buddy who also has Hollow Knight didn’t know about White Palace so we stuck our heads in to check it out and we’re just erupting with laughter at how mean these puzzles seem

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's safe to finish the Palace first and go straight to the Seals/Black Egg, if coming back seems like a pain.

Speaking of which, look up the Path of Pain if you want some real laughs.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 23, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks yeah I wanted to finish the White Mask ok so that’s my day today WHITE PALACE LETS GOOOOO

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Don't listen to this guy, there is definitely a good ending and you get it by beating pantheon 5

This is a very curious definition of good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bust Rodd posted:

The key to the mantis lords is that they have the single most obvious “this is a safe time to heal” attack in the game. Don’t be greedy, just hop like a bunny, and try double tap them any time you could get in a hit.

Ok gang, I’ve made it to the White Palace... wut the gently caress dudes, this place is a meat grinder, any tips? Charms can’t really help me here, can they?

Deep Focus
Grubsong

with these two charms taking damage gives you enough soul to heal the damage, almost indefinitely; it might even be possible to go infinite with it as long as you don't overheal or get interrupted

those two are the most important, but Quick Focus (faster healing) and any charm that makes your nail bigger might also make things a little more convenient

another hint is that White Palace is extremely susceptible to sequence breaking, and the sequence break routes are usually easier

Bust Rodd posted:

Also is there possibly a spoiler-free way someone can explain which ending is (good) and which is (bad)?

The easiest/first bad ending leaves you in an unsustainable position, the middling / still bad ending leaves you and a good friend in an unsustainable position, and the difficult / "good" ending requires you to use the Dream Nail.

There are also two extra endings that unlock by doing the boss rush DLC, or by doing the boss rush DLC + an incredibly difficult and tedious platforming challenge first, but they're harder to mix up.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hiveblood (?) works well for the White Palace as it'll just auto regen the mask you've lost.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, Hiveblood + patience is the way to go if you really struggle

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hiveblood is garbage, you have to sit around forever, not taking any new damage, for it to work. I'm not surprised people hate White Palace so much if they honestly think that's the way to go, it makes the experience a million times worse.

Grubsong + Deep Focus will let you spend a couple seconds every few attempts at a given puzzle and be back at full health. You don't need anything else.

e: if you're really worried about efficiency / how many attempts you'll need, remember to always heal yourself before you fill up the additional bubbles in your soul meter. the first (big) orb fills at full efficiency, after that it's fractional.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 23, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Grubberfly's Elegy increases the SOUL you get from Grubsong so if you combine that with Deep Focus you will literally never run out of healing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Grubberfly's Elegy increases the SOUL you get from Grubsong so if you combine that with Deep Focus you will literally never run out of healing

I didn't even know about this! But yeah, if the above advice still isn't enough to make it fully sustainable, there you go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

If you beat the game your save still says right before the final boss, there's no new game+, so you can just go ahead and do both endings if you do them in the right order.

Generally, each ending requires you to do more than the one before, so I assume the "better" endings are the ones with the most requirements.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I should go beat the game, then reload and do white palace?

Yes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Grouchio posted:

Does each Mantis Lord have like 40 hit points? :stare:

Everyone struggles with different bosses in this game, so I don't want this to sound like I'm giving anyone poo poo, but the Mantis Lords have extremely recognizable tells. You need to be on the ball, but try to force yourself to remain calm and spend a little time observing how they attack. They only have a couple of attacks and none of them look the same. Be ready to dash out of the way if they drop from above and be ready to jump upward (and downslash!) if they charge in from the side. It's a technical fight, but very learnable. I have never actually lost to the Mantis Lords. It gets a little hairier with two, but the same principles apply. Usually if I get hit it's because I got too panicky. That's actually true of a lot of the bosses -- if you can stay relaxed and avoid the panicked button mashing, you'll do a lot better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I did all of White Palace, got basic ending, did up to Nightmare Grimm and uh def not tonight lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

guppy posted:

Everyone struggles with different bosses in this game, so I don't want this to sound like I'm giving anyone poo poo, but the Mantis Lords have extremely recognizable tells. You need to be on the ball, but try to force yourself to remain calm and spend a little time observing how they attack. They only have a couple of attacks and none of them look the same. Be ready to dash out of the way if they drop from above and be ready to jump upward (and downslash!) if they charge in from the side. It's a technical fight, but very learnable. I have never actually lost to the Mantis Lords. It gets a little hairier with two, but the same principles apply. Usually if I get hit it's because I got too panicky. That's actually true of a lot of the bosses -- if you can stay relaxed and avoid the panicked button mashing, you'll do a lot better.

I didn't have too much trouble with them, although you can fight them WAY earlier than I did in my playthrough. But I loved the feeling of having 2 enemies attacking at the same time, even if really its not thaat different from any other boss. The difference between if they both dash at you or if one dashes and one does the drop down, that's just so cool seeing the attacks line up and the cadence of the two attacks with a short break between.

Also feels like that fight really rewards you for reading the moves just right, you can manage to hit one after they dash you before the next one attacks if you're quick, or you can more safely just dodge both and poke after the second, depending upon how gutsy you are. Things like that. Good fight.

what about with three :getin:

I definitely agree that its all about staying relaxed so you don't panic and eat several attacks in a row, although its also important that until you can read the attacks reliably, you're not going to be able to recover and you're going to basically have to panic. Its impossible not to get overwhelmed. Until you do learn all those tells, and it clicks, and then at that point you're not really getting hit anyways. (But if you do, you see the next hit coming so you get back in rhythm)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thank god for the collector's map. I have like 5 grubs left and I was about to give up on actually finding them all.

Getting close to 100% completion now. :) then its gonna be a big godhome push.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

FYI, the final percentage after all the DLC is 112%.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I guess I've got a fat thumb or something but I can't use dashmaster because it causes me to dash downwards all the dang time when I'm trying to dash sideways and that'll get you killed every time.

I also wish I could turn OFF desolate dive, because I never use it in combat but every once in awhile when I'm trying to do a shade soul it'll do a desolate dive instead and again, get me killed.

Maybe this controller is getting worn IDK.

Soul Tyrant was kinda easy for me, but Fallen Knight is kicking my rear end holy crap.

Nostalgamus posted:

FYI, the final percentage after all the DLC is 112%.

yeah I know.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I also wish I could turn OFF desolate dive, because I never use it in combat...

After watching a couple speed runs of this game, I came to realize that not using desolate dive in combat was a mistake. It has a much bigger area of effect than you might expect, and you get loads of invincibility frames to get out of harm's way.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess I've got a fat thumb or something but I can't use dashmaster because it causes me to dash downwards all the dang time when I'm trying to dash sideways and that'll get you killed every time.

I'm pretty sure despite the speed increases, speedrunners specifically don't tend to use dashmaster purely because of this. It's definitely not just you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Soul Tyrant was kinda easy for me, but Fallen Knight is kicking my rear end holy crap.

The thing I found is that if you stick really close to Failed Champion, he'll spend a lot of the fight just short-hopping over you and not actually attacking. At least, that was my experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Desolate Dive with Shaman Stone and Soul charms allowed me to utterly clown the God Tamer fight. I had no idea you take no damage for like half it’s frames.

Ok so the only bosses I have left are The Radiant, NKG, the ghosts in the spirit Grove or the Godhome bosses. Is every Godhome boss NKG level? I beat all the base game dream knights so I’m thinking the bosses in the grove should be my next move?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Desolate Dive with Shaman Stone and Soul charms allowed me to utterly clown the God Tamer fight. I had no idea you take no damage for like half it’s frames.

Ok so the only bosses I have left are The Radiant, NKG, the ghosts in the spirit Grove or the Godhome bosses. Is every Godhome boss NKG level? I beat all the base game dream knights so I’m thinking the bosses in the grove should be my next move?

The groves aren't bosses. They're just kick starter rewards. Only one of them fights and it's a lovely fight.

Difficulty would probably be:

Pantheon 1 - 3 bosses, radiance, NKG, pantheon 4 boss, pantheon 5 boss.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Overall pantheon 3 is tough though you're right the end boss isn't especially hard. If you were smart and let zote die pantheon 3 should be easy. But otherwise pantheon 3 onwards starts to be much harder than any of the content in the game up to that point.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 25, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

If you were smart and let zote die

You monster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

You mean the dream bosses? Like someone already said the grove isn't really a fight. There's normal ghost warriors that are bosses though, plus the dream bosses.

Godhome only has like 3 new bosses. The rest are just bosses you've already done but with tweaks. Which makes them harder than they were, but still not quite radiance or NKG level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

You monster.

true monsterhood is to let him continue to live, as Zote

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

If you were smart and let zote die

the correct term is "if you yote the zote"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok I was annoyed about never having beaten pantheon 3. This bothered me for five months until I finally did it tonight. I still think I will randomly lose to zote 30 percent of the time if he just calls summons over and over but those Uumuu nerfs from february really made the difference the boss is hilarious now. I have no temptation to do pantheon 4 as I would have to do 4+5 to unlock a single new fight and ha ha ha ha ha yeah right just the thought of fighting watcher knights makes me want to throw up.

Checking out Godseeker mode, the sisters of battle are amazing, winged nosk is horrible, PV is PV.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
e: nvm

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
For White Palace a big one that helped me was using the Dream Nail on the bugs to fully refill my soul juices

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Schneider Inside Her posted:

For White Palace a big one that helped me was using the Dream Nail on the bugs to fully refill my soul juices

The Grubsong + Grubfather + Deep Focus Combo means actual literal infinite soul, you outheal your damage completely its an infinite feedback loop

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Grubsong + Grubfather + Deep Focus Combo means actual literal infinite soul, you outheal your damage completely its an infinite feedback loop

Even without grubfather you're losing a negligible amount of soul.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The charm is actually called Grubberfly's Elegy, in case anyone was looking for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm in love :swoon:

Can't wait for the art book / guide to arrive in a couple weeks

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm in love :swoon:

Can't wait for the art book / guide to arrive in a couple weeks

That's awesome.

This arrived for me today.

I'm bad at photos.

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 1, 2019

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

No Wave posted:

Ok I was annoyed about never having beaten pantheon 3. This bothered me for five months until I finally did it tonight.

I've also gone back to P3 in the last couple of days. Zote is a goddamn lunatic, I can beat him maybe 25% of the time right now which is lame. I haven't actually even made it to Sly yet but I'm still in the practice phase in the Hall of Gods. I need to get some consistency down with Zote, then go practice Hornet a few times and then take a crack at unlocking Sly. The others are mostly pushovers.

Zote did remind me of one of the few things I don't like about HK, which is when bosses re-adjust position mid-jump to target you after you've moved. Lost Kin drove me nuts with this before I gave up trying to evade and just tanked him. It just feels bad.

But, crucially, I'm sitting here practicing a boss rush even though I've always known myself as someone who disliked boss fights. HK is so magical that it's made me actually like them, which is insane to me.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm doing my first replay of this game since it's been long enough that I don't remember where everything is and I can confirm that it's tied for the best game ever made

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

romanowski posted:

I'm doing my first replay of this game since it's been long enough that I don't remember where everything is and I can confirm that it's tied for the best game ever made

I'm slowly but surely exploring and working my way through it. I always wanted to play through a Metroidvainia-type game and I'm glad I picked a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm playing through this blind, but on-and-off for a variety of reasons. Between the map being gigantic and me just forgetting places I might be able to go back to with new tools, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed sometimes when I pick it up to play for a bit. Is there any sort of resource I could use to point me in the right direction, like maybe say "hey if you just got the dream nail you might want to poke around areas x, y, and z a bit more"?

If the answer is "just ask the thread" then I can provide some more details as to what I've done so far.

As an aside, I'm usually pretty good about mentally mapping places and navigating them well without needing to use the map and compass, but I got to deepnest earlier today and holy poo poo I was just lost the entire time. That was kind of nice.