Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

fyallm posted:

Isn't that an rpg?

Ehhhh depends on who you ask. I wouldn't really call it an RPG but it could be seen that way.

Have you ever played any of the Harvest Moon games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

Isn't that an rpg?

Ostensibly, yes. It's basically Harvest Moon.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Len posted:

Ehhhh depends on who you ask. I wouldn't really call it an RPG but it could be seen that way.

Have you ever played any of the Harvest Moon games?

I have not. What are they?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fyallm posted:

Isn't that an rpg?

Sorta, it's not like any of the Squeenix games I would normally recommend to people looking for an airplane game.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Ok, i will try stardew for todays flight. Thanks guys

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

Farming games. You own a farm, plant crops, chop trees, build fences, etc. Sell crops for profit, upgrade your house and tools to clear more land. Stardew also has a deep dungeon for mining and fighting for monster materials, and a big town full of people to build friendships with. It's basically ":3, The Game"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fyallm posted:

It's a farming simulator kinda, very cartoony. You plant and harvest crops, hang out in the town with the people who live there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The best thing about Stardew is that it's a full, premium game, and there's zero P2W/F2P/IAP involved.

I kind of like the mobile version better than the PC version, but I also don't care about mods.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The best thing about Stardew is that it's a full, premium game, and there's zero P2W/F2P/IAP involved.

I kind of like the mobile version better than the PC version, but I also don't care about mods.

Is the fishing minigame in any way playable on mobile?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I know the missus prefers the PC version because of the mods (particularly the time manipulation, tractor and label mods), but every time she tries to play it it takes an hour or two of updating windows, steam, SMAPI and the various mods by which time she's gotten bored and started playing Borderlands 2 on the PS4.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

fyallm posted:

Best airplane mode games? I dont really like rouge or rpg games.

I have the candy crushes, gardenscapes, clockmaker, cn match, minesweeper, archero, crossyroad, thebrunning surfer game , dead city. Mr robot.

Any suggestions?

Never heard of Clockmaker before so I thought it was a Zachtronics game like SpaceChem where you have to make clocks. Disappointed it was just a match 3 game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah, why wouldn't it be? Instead of clicking your mouse, you touch the screen. Works quite well.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't find it difficult to get it down for the phone. I do have 300 some hours though between the PS, X Box, PC and now android version though

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Yeah, why wouldn't it be? Instead of clicking your mouse, you touch the screen. Works quite well.

It's impossible to fish in the console versions

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It's impossible to fish in the console versions

Playing it on Switch right now and fishing was the first skill I got to rank 5. I know you're being hyperbolic but it isn't

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

While we're doing recommendations, are there any good colony building games a la dwarf fortress or rimworld?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

Playing it on Switch right now and fishing was the first skill I got to rank 5. I know you're being hyperbolic but it isn't

I don't get why people have a problem with fishing between versions; the mechanic is based on a digital on/off state, it's not using any sort of weird control. Clicking the mouse, pressing a key on a keyboard, tapping the screen, and hitting a controller button are essentially the same action.

This is assuming that there isn't some sort of janky code in a certain version that complicates the whole thing. That aside, the fishing is pretty much identical.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I remember people complaining about the fishing minigame when the game first came out too. Turns out a lot of people just didn't understand how it worked/controlled.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The way the bar sinks and rises with inertia while the fish dart around like maniacs is tricky to get your head around, and for me (and alot of others) it gets frustrating very quickly.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah, they may have adressed it in a patch, but early on, once you lost inertia on the PS4, your icon would bury itself at the bottom of the bar and by the time you got it going again, the fish was gone

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Stardew Valley really is perfect in mobile.
God drat it. I just bought it for Vita.

That said, so far it plays great on Vita, but it's another device to carry around. Mostly been just phone-gaming lately.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I think I'm done with Archero. I got to world 5 and just get obliterated in a few hits and it takes me ages to kill anything. I've upgraded my gear and pets as much as I can (purple weapon, blue everything else) and it is just feeling too grindy now. Without the perfect RNG of skill rolls right from the beginning, I feel that it is too much to overcome. It is a shame too, I was really enjoying the game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Chaitai posted:

I think I'm done with Archero. I got to world 5 and just get obliterated in a few hits and it takes me ages to kill anything. I've upgraded my gear and pets as much as I can (purple weapon, blue everything else) and it is just feeling too grindy now. Without the perfect RNG of skill rolls right from the beginning, I feel that it is too much to overcome. It is a shame too, I was really enjoying the game.

Yeah I started to see the way it was going around world 3 and dropped it. It was definitely fun at the beginning but it needs some sort of dodge mechanic to really shine. Some of the projectiles are too bullshit to deal with and there's a LOT going on at a time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I like how in Dawn of Isles you can give your character a Hitler mustache, but you can't make them dark-skinned.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I like how in Dawn of Isles you can give your character a Hitler mustache, but you can't make them dark-skinned.

I ended up uninstalling Dawn of Isles. I really wanted to like it, but there's several major problems and I think ultimately it would have been better on Switch.

The experience system destroys the leveling and leaves the player with no idea what's happening. I got almost to level 50 in the first zone completely by accident, just by exploring and trying different systems. There are too many different systems - gathering, building, crafting, research, pets, attributes, weapons, gear, tribes, etc which would be great on console/PC but they come at you too fast and without giving you a chance to try them. But if you try them, they give so much experience you outlevel the next system! I didn't have the chance to figure out the combat system or new skills in general since I vastly outleveled the skill system once I unlocked it. There's something to be said for slowing things down so your players can internalize your systems.

The zones are way too big for a mobile device but also have too many quests and players concentrated in small areas. Did they want me to explore? I couldn't see anything with the sides and bottom of the screen taken up by the UI. Navigation is such a pain on a Pixel 3 screen that I ended up using auto-navigate. A lot of quests are some variation of go here, talk to this person, go back to where you just were by teleporting, go back to the second place again by teleporting, and finish by teleporting back to the first person. Why?

Overall I think it has decent bones but is just way too big for its britches.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

norp posted:

Did you lie on one of the "test" questions

Apparently they can blacklist you for lying about things they know about.

Edit: woah a whole page of posts saying the same thing that I missed....

Yeah, they pay to reward good behavior, like telling the truth on questions they are confident about. Why waste a perfectly good reinforcement reward on a random* or regular dispersement?

They also might have added more detailed categories that may have targeted someone better in a broad career field without many reliable survey takers.

*other than making sure the reward still feels random for purposes of satisfaction

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 24, 2019

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I ultimately quit dawn of isle because the combat was so simple. I was so annoyed to find that you can only use 3 of your 6 abilities during combat. It ended with ruining all my syngeries. I wanted my spell dancer to make a pool of water around enemies and shock them. However then I couldn't use my shield or heavy attack ability.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Yeah, they pay to reward good behavior, like telling the truth on questions they are confident about. Why waste a perfectly good reinforcement reward on a random* or regular dispersement?

They also might have added more detailed categories that may have targeted someone better in a broad career field without many reliable survey takers.

*other than making sure the reward still feels random for purposes of satisfaction

I couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten repeat questions for basic info, but I'm truthful, they get consistent answers out of me, and they keep them coming.

Also, there are times when I've been near a place that's come up on the list of possible choices, but I don't think I've ever faked an answer there. They still pay around 10-20 cents each for those.

Couple years ago, I was barely getting surveys, but then I moved 9 hours east, and I've been getting at least one per week since. So, all you really need to do in order to guarantee survey bucks is to pick up your life and your family and make a considerable life change by moving a fair bit away from where you are now.

It's not that hard :shrug:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The way the bar sinks and rises with inertia while the fish dart around like maniacs is tricky to get your head around, and for me (and alot of others) it gets frustrating very quickly.

I'm playing it on android and fishing was at first impossible, but I realized after some research you really shouldn't even try to and fish the difficult fish (I think it's the "darters" in the fish wiki) until you get the 3rd tier rod and lures. There's a lure that cuts bar loss substantially and should be the only one you really use. It's a bit annoying to have to level fishing that much, but I find it's actually quite easy to burn excess stamina at the end of the day fishing garbage from your farm pond.

And of course, always tap... never hold down the button.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How does Cultist Simulator hand a Pixel 2? From what I know of it the thing has a fairly large footprint and my phone is not that.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Len posted:

How does Cultist Simulator hand a Pixel 2? From what I know of it the thing has a fairly large footprint and my phone is not that.

I've just started on a pixel 3 which I assume is almost the same size at the pixel 2 and it's acceptable, but you definitely need to hit the pause button often just to scroll around the screen and keep tabs on everything. You can zoom out to see it all fairly easily but it gets pretty jagged and impossible to read once you have over the full table in view.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 25, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also, there are times when I've been near a place that's come up on the list of possible choices, but I don't think I've ever faked an answer there. They still pay around 10-20 cents each for those.
Those ones are odd, because occasionally it'll name somewhere I walked past but didn't go in. However it doesn't always ask both follow up questions - when did you visit, and then what did you do (didn't go in, went in but didn't buy anything, bought something w/ card, bought something with cash, other). So it's hard to answer honestly if you didn't visit a shop, you just walked past, because essentially you have to say yes you 'visited,' and then in the follow up question that doesn't always come up, clarify that you didn't go in.

Because of this I'm pretty sure I've been penalised for 'lying' and lost surveys for a while for being careful and saying no to places I merely walked past but didn't go into (in case it didn't ask the follow up questions), but the GPS knew I was there (and probably even stopped outside for a few seconds to catch a pokemon).

I feel like I'm not explaining this right and probably just getting stuck on the linguistic precision of the word 'visited.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 25, 2019

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I don't think I've ever had a follow up question where it asks if I went in or not, it's always whether I paid for something or left without paying. If I was near a store but it wasn't the one I was actually at I usually just say that no I didn't go there.

I think the questions I struggle most with are owning/renting and household income. A few years ago I moved back in with my parents (lame, I know) who do in fact own the house, and I pay no rent. Now technically it's not me who owns the house but I also don't pay rent so I believe I've just said I own the house. Then there's household income, in which for tax purposes I would not fit under that definition but while living here I've included what I estimate my parents' income is. :confused: Oh well, still get location surveys when I go somewhere and still get the "have you heard of this niche and possibly not real thing" surveys so I think I'm doing okay.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Clocks posted:

I don't think I've ever had a follow up question where it asks if I went in or not, it's always whether I paid for something or left without paying. If I was near a store but it wasn't the one I was actually at I usually just say that no I didn't go there.

I think the questions I struggle most with are owning/renting and household income. A few years ago I moved back in with my parents (lame, I know) who do in fact own the house, and I pay no rent. Now technically it's not me who owns the house but I also don't pay rent so I believe I've just said I own the house. Then there's household income, in which for tax purposes I would not fit under that definition but while living here I've included what I estimate my parents' income is. :confused: Oh well, still get location surveys when I go somewhere and still get the "have you heard of this niche and possibly not real thing" surveys so I think I'm doing okay.

Yeah they have to have some sort of system of dealing with major life changes, so I think you're safe there.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Chaitai posted:

5 is definitely a bitch. The hard part is learning to deal with the reapers. Scythes hit in both directions, so it requires a change in strategy.

I found that abusing the timing with Invicibility helps a ton. Also, use the boomerang and do not take ricochet. One major thing is that the turrets do not have collision damage. if you have diagonal/side, you can stand on top of them and it down in a second.

Zone 6 was probably the most fun I've had in the game. Zone 7 is a bitch.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
What's a good casual game? Even idlers nowadays have crazy mechanics/gacha/events so I can't even tell what's good anymore from just browsing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Adventure capitalist use to be good no clue if they've broken it.

Idle oil tycoon is a+

I like resources.. it's gps and idle as well kind of fun if you're into that kind of thing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

With Stardew Valley, do I have to sleep to save my game? I've quit the game time now during/after the Fall festival and both times when I've restarted my game I find my character waking up that same day. It's turned into Groundhog's Day: The Game.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Usually it loads right into where I was. If I am closing it for awhile I end up clicking the pause menu and going to settings and tapping save backup just to make sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

me your dad posted:

With Stardew Valley, do I have to sleep to save my game? I've quit the game time now during/after the Fall festival and both times when I've restarted my game I find my character waking up that same day. It's turned into Groundhog's Day: The Game.

(EDIT: Yes, in short, sleeping saves your game)

What kind of phone do you have, and how much RAM? I don't actually know if that affects it, but how it works for me and my Samsung S8 is that, unless I just woke up in-game, I can switch out of the app, and either by using other things before going back to SV, or swiping it away completely from my recently-used app list (or whatever that's called), it asks if I want to continue from where I left off when I load it back up again, right after the Concerned Ape splash screen, and just as the mountains come into view.

If I did just wake up in game before quitting out, there's no temporary save or 'save state' made, and it just starts me at the beginning of the day when I had left. It's like you have to do something significant, or a certain amount of time has to have passed before a save state is made.

I've also gone into the controller menu to do a manual backup of my save from time to time, as I'm paranoid about losing all of my progress. There ARE times when I'll go back into the game, a lot of things will be full-on blacked out (as if it's glitched, which it seems to be at that point), it puts me back to sometime in Spring Year 1, and my money is drained down to 500. Like it actually animates my previous total quickly depleting. At that point, I switch out, remove it from my recently played, and start again. Sometimes, I'll even do a quick device cleanup (I don't know if that's just a Samsung thing, or if it's part of Pie OS or something?) to make sure everything is cleared out of my RAM, and everything is fine after that.