Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does the law exempt convicted minors? Think black 12 year old getting chemically castrated for dating a white 13 year old.

*tries 12-yr-old as an adult to justify the indecency with a minor charge in the first place*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tennessee preacher, who is also a cop, tells people that the government should put LGBTQ people to death

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

How long do you think until incriminating evidence emerges of him engaged in homosexual activity?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
E: Rather than bloviating in the wrong thread, I actually have a question re: war with Iran.

If Trump decided to actually try to go through with a war with Iran, how would he navigate around the War Powers act? I know in the past it's been open to interpretation, but would he have any shot at starting a full-scale war like this without congressional approval?

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 16, 2019

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Hope to find out more as the story develops
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1140140715818795008?s=21

TL;DR - she wasn’t there at the time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LordSloth posted:

Hope to find out more as the story develops
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1140140715818795008?s=21

TL;DR - she wasn’t there at the time

It's not trespassing, she invited Ted Cruz in. This is always why I have running water around all my doors and windows.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Capn Jobe posted:

E: Rather than bloviating in the wrong thread, I actually have a question re: war with Iran.

If Trump decided to actually try to go through with a war with Iran, how would he navigate around the War Powers act? I know in the past it's been open to interpretation, but would he have any shot at starting a full-scale war like this without congressional approval?

Laws are only as strong as their enforcement mechanisms. If Trump's lawyer says it's legal, it's going to be treated as legal until a court says otherwise. If Congress doesn't like it they can pass another bill (which will just move the timeline back as the war continues), accept that the president is above the law, or impeach him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not trespassing, she invited Ted Cruz in. This is always why I have running water around all my doors and windows.

lmao

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Capn Jobe posted:

AUMF because the Iranian military is a “”””terrorist organization”””””””

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

There are a few myths about vampires who drink blood from the feet. It would explain an awful lot of the weirder things about the right.

Here’s a real story on the trespassing with the most details so far.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...r-a8961286.html

Didn’t breach her office, did get in the building and a utility closet; was stopped before getting in anyone’s actual office. Undergoing psychiatric evaluation.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

I may be wrong, but I remember reading this from another news outlet who confronted the sheriff in question and he defended himself by saying that what he said was fine because he wasn't saying they should be immediately put to death -- they would get a trial first :downs:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I may be wrong, but I remember reading this from another news outlet who confronted the sheriff in question and he defended himself by saying that what he said was fine because he wasn't saying they should be immediately put to death -- they would get a trial first :downs:

Ah yes, the Cardassian approach.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

sticksy posted:

How long do you think until incriminating evidence emerges of him engaged in homosexual activity?

Hahaha I get it, the homophobe's a human being, how funny!

Don't do this. Seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Saraiguma posted:

Hahaha I get it, the homophobe's a human being, how funny!

Don't do this. Seriously.

yeah, nah

there's a long and varied history of hardcore anti-queer crusaders winding up doing super gay poo poo and the joke is focused on the statistical likelihood of them being hypocrites, not whatever gay joke you're desperately trying to see

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Kith posted:

yeah, nah

there's a long and varied history of hardcore anti-queer crusaders winding up doing super gay poo poo and the joke is focused on the statistical likelihood of them being hypocrites, not whatever gay joke you're desperately trying to see

The idea that all homophobes are secretly gay is also a way for straight people to deflect from all of their homophobia. It's like white people monomaniacally focusing on all the instances of some black person acting like an 'Uncle Tom' to avoid thinking about where they fit in the big scheme of things.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Maybe don't be tempted to call it "incriminating" evidence, however hilarious you think it is (it's not).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kith posted:

yeah, nah

That's what's being referenced. "All homophobes are closeted queer people" is a harmful and often false cliche and puts the blame for their terrible behavior on their queerness, real or imagined (since there's a whole lot of homophobes and transphobes out there who aren't), rather than them just being lovely people. It's usually not true and isn't really helpful, it's just a way for people to not have to think too hard about things and also mock the homophobic individual for... Being gay, apparently.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's really about hypocrisy not sexuality

But it's a bad idea to casually joke about because it's so early misinterpreted

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Bloop posted:

It's really about hypocrisy not sexuality

But it's a bad idea to casually joke about because it's so early misinterpreted

yeah fair enough i guess

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LordSloth posted:

Didn’t breach her office, did get in the building and a utility closet; was stopped before getting in anyone’s actual office. Undergoing psychiatric evaluation.

"Utility closet" made me wonder if he was affiliated with James O'Keefe.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1140655199352213505?s=21

There’s nothing ominous about this, nothing at all.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LordSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1140655199352213505?s=21

There’s nothing ominous about this, nothing at all.

From the replies:
https://twitter.com/JulieAnto1/status/1140676758892625922

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Deleted. Anyone remember what it was?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
She claimed that searching “list of” on the ICE site lead her to a list of deaths since April 2018.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Electoral Surgery posted:

She claimed that searching “list of” on the ICE site lead her to a list of deaths since April 2018.

She must have had a typo or broken link
https://twitter.com/julieanto1/status/1140676758892625922?s=21

https://www.ice.gov/death-detainee-report

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shearm/status/1141907380982169600

a war with iran seems to rest on whether john bolton can bully donald trump into it or not, so that's cool

e: still, it's a no so far and I'll take it!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess it’s a bit of “luck” that Trump doesn’t respect or give a poo poo about any of his “advisors’” positions and just goes based off what Fox News says directly to him because they’re not 100% on board with the Iran war stuff as of yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDg2bx-CsH4

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

awesmoe posted:

https://twitter.com/shearm/status/1141907380982169600

a war with iran seems to rest on whether john bolton can bully donald trump into it or not, so that's cool

e: still, it's a no so far and I'll take it!

weirdly enough i believe he won't take us to war at least outside where we already. trumps a selfish coward and he doesn't want the repercussion of tons of dead american servicemen on his hands, i doubt he cares about them but i do believe he knows that would look bad.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I guess it’s a bit of “luck” that Trump doesn’t respect or give a poo poo about any of his “advisors’” positions and just goes based off what Fox News says directly to him because they’re not 100% on board with the Iran war stuff as of yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDg2bx-CsH4

this too. tucker is alt right and they tend to be isolationist at least until the homeland is "clensed". hannity is true believer moron so he is fine with bombing everyone and everything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh poo poo, the first debates are this week? How is it almost July already?

God, I already want it to be over. Why do our elections have to last 18 months?

Edit: wrong thread, but leavin' it not since I got quoted.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Skippy McPants posted:

Friend, our elections never stop.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: wrong thread, but leavin' it not since I got quoted.

I had the same reaction when I saw it come up in the news, so it fits. It's not even halfway through 2019 and 2020 election buzz is already making the news.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oregon Statehouse Shut Down After Lawmakers Team Up With Right-Wing Militias

More context on Reddit, with sources, regarding the rising militia threat in Oregon.

So, that's a thing. :stare:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just some good American Patriots defending their rights ok?

What's that you say, a major step towards fascism is declaring opposition parties and candidates illegitimate/illegal/national security risks?

Nope, don't see what that has to do with this.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

What's that you say, a major step towards fascism is declaring opposition parties and candidates illegitimate/illegal/national security risks?

It's actually the opposition party declaring the governing party illegitimate, so even worse I guess? It's hard to tell anymore

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

quote:

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist warned police in a televised interview shortly before his walkout. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember when I thought Republicans walking off with the gavel from a subcommittee was bad for democracy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember when I thought Republicans walking off with the gavel from a subcommittee was bad for democracy.

Turns out the 2nd amendment is far worse for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yep, looks like we should have Janet Reno'd those Bundy fucks in the wildlife center.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sure is cool we have a media unable to refer to these psychos as domestic terrorists, and instead present them as poor, upset patriotic Americans. Real good for discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
My therapist doesn't charge enough to listen to me rant about how badly I want to murder these fucks and their entire bloodline. She's a saint.