Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I wouldn't be surprised to find recordings of train noises buried in the SMiLE sessions somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

tribbledirigible posted:

Tribble the Younger [exiting living room]: Dad, why are you listening to train noises?
Me [entering living room]:???

Checked the playlist, and a couple of Beach Boys songs had just been in rotation.

Good Vibrations? That always makes me think of trains.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Overheard in a Chick-fil-A:

"You are the best mommy ever and I want to date you!"

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Overheard in a Chick-fil-A:

"You are the best mommy ever and I want to date you!"

When in Alabama...

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
About once a year, I shave my beard completely off and let it start fresh.

After coming out of the bathroom, my daughter says "Daddy, can you grow your beard back right away? I don't want to kiss your face like that." :(

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My dad used to have a mustache. He shaved it off when I was five. When I saw his face I asked him what happed to the mustache. He said "I shaved it off."
To which I replied "well shave it back on again!"

I hear that story every year at Thanksgiving.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've been trying to get a kid in the kindergarten to call me by my name instead of 'adult', this has backfired somewhat because she no longer consider me to be an adult. Like, I told her that only adults can open and close the gate to the kindergarten and she replied "you're not an adult, you're Alhazred".

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jun 24, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Shaving off your beard is one of the worst things you can do to a little child's perceptions. My uncle shaved off his decade-old full black beard when I was ten years old.

It took me years until I was able to reliably recognize him again when we walked past each other in public.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Shaving off your beard is one of the worst things you can do to a little child's perceptions. My uncle shaved off his decade-old full black beard when I was ten years old.

It took me years until I was able to reliably recognize him again when we walked past each other in public.

Hell, I’m in my 30s and I’m pretty sure that I’d have a hard time recognizing my dad at first if he shaved off the beard he’s had since I was ~10.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't recognize myself if i shave.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I avoid the existential confusion by just never shaving. My beard is glorious.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I've been trying to get a kid in the kindergarten to call me by my name instead of 'adult', this has backfired somewhat because she no longer consider me to be an adult. Like, I told her that only adults can open and close the gate to the kindergarten and she replied "you're not an adult, you're Alhazred".

"The Mad Arab, author of the Necronomicon, Ia, Ia, Shub Niggurath, the Goat with Ten Thousand Young!" she added, before vomitting black ooze and phasing through the gate in a suspiciously non-Euclidean manner.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The_White_Crane posted:

"The Mad Arab, author of the Necronomicon, Ia, Ia, Shub Niggurath, the Goat with Ten Thousand Young!" she added, before vomitting black ooze and phasing through the gate in a suspiciously non-Euclidean manner.

:kimchi:, they grow up so fast

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I was trying to pick a music video on youtube for my kids to dance to. Was considering "Don't Stop Me Now," but wondered if some of the lyrics would send a few of them into a tizzy if they caught it, so I opted for something else.

About 20 minutes later, as we were transitioning from reading to writing, the kids are gathering at the rug, and one child just begins singing to himself, "Having a good time, having a good time..."

Me: Are you... are you singing a Queen song?
Kid: Yes, it's one of my favorite songs.
Me: That's so funny! I was going to put that on for our dance break. How did you know I was thinking about it?
Kid: (chuckling pleasantly) I'm a psychopath!

Me: Do you mean a telepath?
Kid: (continuing to chuckle in a detached way) Yes, that's it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

drat, y'all need to teach rich people's kids. I cleaned UP today. Ruby and pearl bracelet, a plethora of Rituals shower sets, and three robots made of recycling bin garbage. Guess which gifts I like the most?

Yo this is real life. My girlfriend taught at a Montessori school for a bit and when she left one of the parents gave her a white gold chain with a pretty nice sapphire on it. Rich people are wild.

In terms of thread content, a couple years later she was a nanny for a pair of kids whose mother was German and whose father was British, so they watched a lot of soccer. There was a period when the 5 year old kept giving the 3 year old yellow cards. He'd do it whenever the 3 year old did something he didn't like, and it made the 3 year old so mad.

Kenning has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Jun 26, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One of my old checkout managers used to do that. To her staff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

drat, y'all need to teach rich people's kids. I cleaned UP today. Ruby and pearl bracelet, a plethora of Rituals shower sets, and three robots made of recycling bin garbage. Guess which gifts I like the most?

I used to get wine, but that stopped with new guidelines. Ine year I got a really fancy winter stocking and I honestly felt like I really earned it.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kenning posted:

In terms of thread content, a couple years later she was a nanny for a pair of kids whose mother was German and whose father was British, so they watched a lot of soccer. There was a period when the 5 year old kept giving the 3 year old yellow cards. He'd do it whenever the 3 year old did something he didn't like, and it made the 3 year old so mad.

I mean, it was a pretty lovely thing to do.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kenning posted:

Yo this is real life. My girlfriend taught at a Montessori school for a bit and when she left one of the parents gave her a white gold chain with a pretty nice sapphire on it. Rich people are wild.

lmao

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Today my sister and her two-year-old were colouring with crayons and my sister noticed that the kid's name was on one of them. She said, "Hey look, this one's called Rouge Violet!"

Violet immediately picked up an orange crayon and said, "This one called rouge Mama!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"I have cake inside my blood"

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

"I have cake inside my blood"

When my sister and I were really little, she once announced "I'm full of meat!" at the dinner table. She meant she had eaten enough meat and didn't want anymore but that line is still hilarious to me, some 20+ years later. :kimchi:

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
I visited my 2 yo. niece yesterday and when I was leaving she put on a sad face and said, "I'm gonna miss you."

So I took her 7 mo. sister and chased her around making airplane and machine gun noises from the baby's butt. Favorite auntie.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ramaroot posted:

I visited my 2 yo. niece yesterday and when I was leaving she put on a sad face and said, "I'm gonna miss you."

So I took her 7 mo. sister and chased her around making airplane and machine gun noises from the baby's butt. Favorite auntie.

This is praxis.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive posted:

This is praxis.

I have some bad news.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Was over at my parent's house this weekend, my sister and her kids live there, she was out picking them up from a weekend at their dad's, while I was waiting around I was playing Super Mario Maker 2 on my Switch, a game my nephew has been super hyped about but he's probably never gonna get since he's not allowed to play games online so it defeats a lot of the purpose. They get back and my nephew (6) runs into the house and straight up to me and looks over my shoulder.

Him: "Whatcha playing?"
Me: "Super Mario Maker"
Him, very calmly: "Is there a '2' after that?"
Me: "Yeah..."
Him: "Hooray it's Super Mario Maker 2!" proceeds to flip out for a few minutes (later on accidentally deletes my Endless Easy run that was at 300+ levels :doh: )

My sister had me queue up this level to see if we could get him to give it a go but he immediately noped out of it:
https://twitter.com/YTSunnys/status/1150872752414498816

Also Boo Houses are too scary :ohdear:

Later on my niece (3) is playing doctor with one of her cabbage patch dolls and is having grandma act like the doll's mother.

Her: "Give the baby these pills and it'll be alright"
Grandma: "What if they're still sick?"
Her: "More pills!" while dancing around
Her mom: "Are you being silly?"
Her: "No, I'm a doctor"
Me: "Yeah, she's a doctor, she's serious"
Her mom: "Are you a serious doctor?"
Her in the most 'wtf are you crazy' tone: "No. I'm a pretend doctor..."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Brightman posted:

Her mom: "Are you being silly?"
Her: "No, I'm a doctor"
Me: "Yeah, she's a doctor, she's serious"
Her mom: "Are you a serious doctor?"
Her in the most 'wtf are you crazy' tone: "No. I'm a pretend doctor..."
Children have the weirdest ability to make you feel like a complete idiot any time you try to play along with them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cardiovorax posted:

My Dad ALWAYS had a mustache. One day he hosed up shaving and had to shave it off and let it grow back. My grandma dropped me off at home right at supper time and all I could do was stare at this guy who I *thought* was my Dad, but I wasn't entirely sure and didn't want to ask. Everyone else was acting normally so I rightly figured it was him. But it was so weird how his appearance changed. I think I was 11 or so at the time.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I have an elderly, blind dog (bichon frise), and she can't really take walks because she gets too anxious, but she loves to get out and about. Solution - I now have a dog stroller. This blows kids minds. I was at the farmer's market this weekend and a little girl stared for a while, then pulled on her mom's hand and pointed it out.

"Mommy! That dog is in a stroller!"
"Uh-huh."
Short pause. "Is that even allowed?"

Stroller rules are very important.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My wife and I were talking about that video of a guy kicking a black bear, so we asked our son, "Is it smart to kick a bear?"

"No. It's not September!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

marshmallow creep posted:

My wife and I were talking about that video of a guy kicking a black bear, so we asked our son, "Is it smart to kick a bear?"

"No. It's not September!"

Where do you live where September is Bear-kicking season?

(Obvious answer: Wisconsin. Go Packers!)

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Your mom is praxis!

Another niece got her first your mom in at the ripe age of 2.5. She also had an amazing grasp of sarcasm for a small child. At four, when told to clean up, she said "cause the world will end if I don't, huh mom."

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

omnibobb posted:

About once a year, I shave my beard completely off and let it start fresh.

After coming out of the bathroom, my daughter says "Daddy, can you grow your beard back right away? I don't want to kiss your face like that." :(

My son really wanted to shave off my beard when he was 4 or 5 - I let him help and as soon as I looked at him, he starts laughing hysterically and goes "Papa you look SILLY!"

I was seeing a 2 year old for a check up today, talking to mom about how he's been doing, and the little guy goes "I'll be right back...", flings the door open, and bails down the hall.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Not a say but a do:

Headed home on the bus, saw a little girl in a stroller on the footpath leaning backwards over the side pulling the sides of her woolly hat down with an expression of woe on her face, as if she Literally Can't Even deal with her Mum right now. She must have been 3 at the most. Too cute.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

From the Car Talk episode I listened to yesterday (kids writing about religion):

The Egyptians were all drowned in the dessert. Afterward, Moses went up on Mount Cyanide to get the ten amendments.

The seventh commandment is: "Thou shalt not admit adultery."

Solomon, one of David's sons, had 300 wives and 700 porcupines.

Jesus enunciated the Golden Rule, which says to do one to others before they do one to you.

It was a miracle when Jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.

St. Paul cavorted to Christianity. He preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marriage.

Most religions teach us to have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

St. Paul cavorted to Christianity. He preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marriage.

Most religions teach us to have only one spouse. This is called monotony.
It's funny because it's true.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

a mysterious cloak posted:

From the Car Talk episode I listened to yesterday (kids writing about religion):

It was a miracle when Jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.

That's usually depicted as a huge loving boulder, so I think this one's correct.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A little girl bumped my shoulder with her umbrella a while back then turned around and bowed/shouted "I'm sorry!" (I live in Japan). I was having a crappy time and it made my evening.