Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ulvir posted:

at least one of those two were 100% definitely and absolutely confirmed anti-semite and nazi though, let's be real
It's from this really smart post, which says that about Céline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
can you imagine how annoying this thread would be if Hitler would've wrote short fiction instead of painting?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

can you imagine how annoying this thread would be if Hitler would've wrote short fiction instead of painting?

Have you read China Mieville's Last Days in New Paris?

Of course not, this is the real lit thread, but your post is pretty on the nose for that book. Let's discuss!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mishima wasn't a fascist in the normal sense of the word, as far as anyone knows he didn't hold any beliefs about racial superiority or anything, the uniforms just gave him a boner.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Don’t mention the coup

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Don’t mention the coup

The coup was clearly staged to result in death, he probably didn't think it would actually work, which is why so much preparation went into the suicide. In any case even his explicit motivations for the coup were more complicated than that, he saw the postwar ideology of "passive, victimised Japanese people" as a ploy by the Americans to treat Japan as their colony, and the language of the coup was mostly directed against that.

Real Japanese fascism exists but it's invariably strongly sinophobic or talks about killing all zainichi Koreans and things like that. I've read a lot of Mishima, including some of the untranslated "theory" stuff and it never strikes that tone, as far as I'm aware. The worst it gets is when he says things like how the inherent unity of Japanese culture prevents things like racial frictions from occurring and that the US is a false model for examining that sort of thing in the context of Japan. Japanese fascists also generally do not like Mishima and don't talk about him. Contemporary Japanese fascists are also usually pro-American.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Tim Burns Effect posted:

are we doing "fascists write good" again?

Yes, just like racists and sexists, fascists can and have written classics.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
why does myshkin keep talking about that execution it's really winding up my anxiety

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Have you read China Mieville's Last Days in New Paris?

Of course not, this is the real lit thread, but your post is pretty on the nose for that book. Let's discuss!

I've only read October, which was a great wikipedia article.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

possibly the single worst prose you'll ever see comes from by-the-book liberals doing introductions for fascists

"In fact, when not sounding like the best literature professor you will ever have, Pound could almost pass for a modern-day blogger."

"In attacking the clay icons of the literary establishment of his day Pound was even snarky, long before the word existed"

"He’s got the piratical bravado of an outlaw hacker"

i don't want to find quotes from the celine, but i remember the guy rhapsodising for half a page of footnotes about the unmistakable genius of celine including a fake name in a list of real people. trying to send him a copy of rabelais

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The coup was clearly staged to result in death, he probably didn't think it would actually work, which is why so much preparation went into the suicide. In any case even his explicit motivations for the coup were more complicated than that, he saw the postwar ideology of "passive, victimised Japanese people" as a ploy by the Americans to treat Japan as their colony, and the language of the coup was mostly directed against that.

Real Japanese fascism exists but it's invariably strongly sinophobic or talks about killing all zainichi Koreans and things like that. I've read a lot of Mishima, including some of the untranslated "theory" stuff and it never strikes that tone, as far as I'm aware. The worst it gets is when he says things like how the inherent unity of Japanese culture prevents things like racial frictions from occurring and that the US is a false model for examining that sort of thing in the context of Japan. Japanese fascists also generally do not like Mishima and don't talk about him. Contemporary Japanese fascists are also usually pro-American.

Yeah, that suicide was a hot way to die, especially for someone with a Saint Sebastian fetish, I agree completely on the entire sexual undertones being more important than nationalism front. BTW the Paul Schrader film is super cool and Philip Glass composed the soundtrack. I really like Mishima’s writing and I think the film really does him justice, especially Ken Ogata’s titular performance.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yeah, that suicide was a hot way to die, especially for someone with a Saint Sebastian fetish, I agree completely on the entire sexual undertones being more important than nationalism front. BTW the Paul Schrader film is super cool and Philip Glass composed the soundtrack. I really like Mishima’s writing and I think the film really does him justice, especially Ken Ogata’s titular performance.

Did the film spend quality time on the botched beheading?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ezra pound did nothing wrong

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

the movie loving rules

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rest his guts posted:

e: holy gently caress. I guess Mishima also

why'd this guy edit out all his posts lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fascism doesn't need a racial component, though racial thought fits it pretty well. what it does need is a sort of modernistic hyper-romantic view of an in-group and its heroic, violent destiny

which one must say that mishima had

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

fascism doesn't need a racial component, though racial thought fits it pretty well. what it does need is a sort of modernistic hyper-romantic view of an in-group and its heroic, violent destiny

which one must say that mishima had

I think that there's a meaningful difference between reactionary art and reactionary politics. The fascism that forms governments and murders people is not the same fascism as that of Mishima. It was just a fantasy he had, and I think he was perfectly aware that it had a lot more to do with sexy uniformed men's asses and self loathing than with something as vulgar as actually taking power.

This is I think also why Stalin was very lenient to even pro-White artists and let them do their thing. Art needs a reactionary component to really be art.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

VileLL posted:

possibly the single worst prose you'll ever see comes from by-the-book liberals doing introductions for fascists

"In fact, when not sounding like the best literature professor you will ever have, Pound could almost pass for a modern-day blogger."

"In attacking the clay icons of the literary establishment of his day Pound was even snarky, long before the word existed"

"He’s got the piratical bravado of an outlaw hacker"

i don't want to find quotes from the celine, but i remember the guy rhapsodising for half a page of footnotes about the unmistakable genius of celine including a fake name in a list of real people. trying to send him a copy of rabelais

Political elements aside, this is some sub-Pitchfork writing

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Shibawanko posted:

I think that there's a meaningful difference between reactionary art and reactionary politics. The fascism that forms governments and murders people is not the same fascism as that of Mishima. It was just a fantasy he had, and I think he was perfectly aware that it had a lot more to do with sexy uniformed men's asses and self loathing than with something as vulgar as actually taking power.

This is I think also why Stalin was very lenient to even pro-White artists and let them do their thing. Art needs a reactionary component to really be art.

i think you're underestimating the centrality of the aesthetic to the fascist political programme - in the words of walter benjamin, it's the aestheticisation of politics which is precisely fascism's main project

the beautiful death, for example, is a hugely recurring theme in spanish fascism. simply placing primacy on the beautiful society over something actually worth living in is the core of fascism - this is how they justified murdering all those people, because they contributed to the ugliness of material society

run-off-the-mill reactionaries had existed for a really long time, but fascism genuinely seems to have been a 20th-century invention - it seems like a reaction to the lack of clear meaning and direction, and to the social disintegration observed in the interwar period

fascism is basically politics as performance art, and it's hard for me to see mishima's doomed coup as anything but that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i think you're underestimating the centrality of the aesthetic to the fascist political programme - in the words of walter benjamin, it's the aestheticisation of politics which is precisely fascism's main project

the beautiful death, for example, is a hugely recurring theme in spanish fascism. simply placing primacy on the beautiful society over something actually worth living in is the core of fascism - this is how they justified murdering all those people, because they contributed to the ugliness of material society

run-off-the-mill reactionaries had existed for a really long time, but fascism genuinely seems to have been a 20th-century invention - it seems like a reaction to the lack of clear meaning and direction, and to the social disintegration observed in the interwar period

fascism is basically politics as performance art, and it's hard for me to see mishima's doomed coup as anything but that

I don't really disagree with anything you've said in principle, you're right that Mishima reacted against a lack of central meaning (this is pretty much spelled out at the end of Sea of Tranquility), and he intended the Emperor to be some sort of new central reference point for meaning against the ugliness of bourgeois culture. But, I just think that Mishima specifically was either very bad at setting up an actual, strong fascist movement, or deliberately did so in a self sabotaging way. The tatenokai was pretty ridiculous and, apart from the events of the coup, non-violent and unarmed. There were no planned murders, street fights or other things that you might expect from a fascist movement which actually aims to take power, it was basically a performance group of probably mostly closeted gay men.

Fascism is the aestheticisation of politics in order to achieve a political goal. I think in Mishima's case he was more using an aestheticised politics for a purely aesthetic goal. Like I said, I don't know of many Japanese fascists who really take Mishima as their inspiration, since he would probably just tell them to go bodybuilding and then kill themselves. He also said a lot of things fascists typically don't like to hear, he was anti-business and thought the emperor should have taken responsibility for the war.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

But besides all that he's just an incredible writer and if he's wrong, I don't think I want to be right.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh yeah he's definitely one of the top novelists of his time, possibly all time, i just think he was a fascist

lots of fascist organisations have been pretty poorly focussed to take power, because under stable conditions they're just not going to find much purchase - see the tiny neo-nazi groups in europe during the post-war consensus, for example - being ineffective at taking power, or not bothering tro actually try is not a sign that the group is not fascist

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Okay which Mishima book should I read first.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

yeah being completely dedicated to a death cult instead of political goals isn't exactly something that stops you being a fascist

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

temple of the golden pavilion

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

derp posted:

Confessions of a Mask was chronologically the first and it's the one most people read first but it's also a more limited book. The Sea of Fertility was the last one but it's huge and spans 4 parts, but it's probably the best thing he ever wrote.

The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea is a good short introduction, Temple of the Golden Pavilion and Thirst for Love are good choices too.

Forbidden Colors, After the Banquet and Sound of Waves I all liked less, although they all still have good bits, but the first one has too many wooden characters and the latter two have less strong plotlines.

But there are no bad Mishima novels.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

The Sailor who Fell From Grace with the Sea is great, I was blown away by the prose and the subtext was simple enough that even someone as dense as I am was able to follow it. Temple of the Golden Pavilion was kind of a letdown in comparison, I didn't find it nearly as engaging. Death in Midsummer is a good choice if you prefer short stories.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I'm almost through Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, a book already cemented as my favorite novel of all time. This kind of complexity, absurdity and fantastic metaphorical imagery is my jam. I read up on the author and how he's so incredibly reclusive. Does anyone know for sure that he's not actually a group of people? It's kind of hard for me to believe that one person could write such an ingenious work and still be publishing such complex, relevant books even to this day (Bleeding Edge).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

just lolling about this post again

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
What's so funny about it? If one person is good at writing surely it follows that multiple people would be better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Luther Blisset was several people and not that good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

*reading the love scene between the protagonist and a little girl* only an extremely talented committee could've put this together

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"Stanislaw Lem" was a committee of Soviet propagandists writing novels together.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The CIA invented Don DeLillo to discredit Juche

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

derp posted:

What's so funny about it? If one person is good at writing surely it follows that multiple people would be better.
This is why "art by committee" is such a glowing compliment.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's simple math. One skill plus one skill equals two skills. Imagine a very young but talented artist, and then add the experience of a very old man. Together, imagine what they could do! If only people weren't so isolated internally they could cooperate to create wonders.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how do we know james, joyce wasn t a committee of people named james, I mean how could one person write finnegans wake after, ulysses

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I did once find a married couple named James and Joyce whatever in a database. And a person called D'eath which is just a regular surname but always fun to see.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

derp posted:

It's simple math. One skill plus one skill equals two skills. Imagine a very young but talented artist, and then add the experience of a very old man. Together, imagine what they could do! If only people weren't so isolated internally they could cooperate to create wonders.

Wait, isn't this just like how the sum of all literature is the greatest right now so we must be writing the biggest and bestest literature ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, exactly.