Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

Hello fellow landlords, got a landlording question here.

Hypothetically if a monthly $1000 ubi were established tomorrow, how would you change the rent for your next leases? What if you knew your competitors were raising theirs by $900 with no loss of occupancy?

Thanks for answering my landlording question landlord buddies :)

*a gigantic wire & antenna is obviously bulging from the back of my collar*

Haha I'd reinvest my ubi into their housing without raising the rent. *gives you the secret landlord salute that looks a lot like a hail hitler but is just a roman salute and very not racist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pibur posted:

For real though having a conversation about the abuse inherent in the landlord-tenant relationship is important. There seems to be this disconnect between the societal violence that landlords inflict on their tenants, especially when they're advocating for and participating in institutions and structures that are quasi-legal, and highly immoral, and the plucky Ur-Landlord that this thread tries to create. That one of the first posts after re-opening this falls perfectly in that category tells me that nothing good for humanity could come from this thread unless it explicitly becomes a "how do I gently caress over my landlord for being the amoral scumbag we all knew they truly were" thread.
absolutely it's a conversation worth having, likewise defining the types of landlords and how they operate in different countries.

Ruzihm posted:

Hello fellow landlords, got a landlording question here.

Hypothetically if a monthly $1000 ubi were established tomorrow, how would you change the rent for your next leases? What if you knew your competitors were raising theirs by $900 with no loss of occupancy?

Thanks for answering my landlording question landlord buddies :)

*a gigantic wire & antenna is obviously bulging from the back of my collar*
the same as rent increases always go: choices to the committee, and options put to a poll of the tenants for next financial year. generally in-line with inflation with an option to fund services for the vulnerable. regulators get very interested if you start fleecing tenants

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's me, the noble landlord. I have created THE HOUSE by the sheer power of my boot strap belief, and if I don't own it and extract wealth from it at the expense of a fellow human's need to not be homeless, THE HOUSE will simply disappear into the void and then where will your precious "housing" be? Checkmate, bleeding heart libtard, better get on your knees and start worshiping at the altar of my insufferable greedy landlord cock.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm starting to think we're the idiots for expecting a subforum who's most popular thread is just attacking and mocking a man for having some sort of horrible self-control problem to be better than that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
landlords suck rear end

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Simpsons Reference posted:

It got locked for being brigaded and that being a pain in the rear end. It has its rules on not discussing anything illegal. Anything beyond that, you're just going to have to deal with it existing.

Oh shut the gently caress up you powertripping psychopath

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Pls protect the landlords they are very vulnerable

Also lmao. 'as long as it's legal it's fine'

That means nothing in the US

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Rumda posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up you powertripping psychopath

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Man, so much good discourse. This thread totally isn't irreparably poisoned and certain people totally aren't in denial about it inevitably being used to crowd source yet more ways to abuse renters

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I have been renting for like 15 years and have had exactly one good landlord. Never increased rent the four years I lived there, let me leech off their internet, fixed stuff quick when it broke, and were generally awesome people. All the other ones sucked rear end.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
:911:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

absolutely it's a conversation worth having, likewise defining the types of landlords and how they operate in different countries.

the same as rent increases always go: choices to the committee, and options put to a poll of the tenants for next financial year. generally in-line with inflation with an option to fund services for the vulnerable. regulators get very interested if you start fleecing tenants

committee huh? :ussr:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

committee huh? :ussr:
social housing are still landlords, they're just run by tenants and kept in check by regulators

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey I just wanted to post that our local friendly landlord owns about 300 units and as far as I can tell, has never paid anyone back a deposit without having a lawyer threaten her first. She also likes to stop by for random visits and if you don't answer the door she'll start 'inspecting' your rental more often. Randomly, of course, not targeted at all.

She's been doing this for 20 years lol

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Can we get back to the topic of the thread now?

I'm a landlord in Austin TX and the entitlement of these tenants is absolutely outrageous. I bought this property about 10 years ago before the Austin market really took off (sold most of my stock right before the 08 crash) and I'm now making about 3x my mortgages on the units, but these people cannot even fix their own toilets. I swear to god if one more tenant calls me about a "flooded bathroom" I'm going to have to go over there myself and fix it. Unbelievable, you'd think these "tech bros" would learn how to take care of their own drat toilets.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Not that this will make any difference (cuz I said it before the thread got locked the last time), but a lot of the laws that would provide strong protections for renters can be made at the city/local level. You guys could absolutely make a difference by becoming politically active if you're not already. You're not making an iota of difference by raging at a forums mod.

Also a lot of cities mean well, but wind up shooting themselves in the foot in regards to affordable housing. In my city for example, a 10% or 12% tax was levied against builders, with the collected revenue going towards affordable housing. This caused all the builders to stop building, which caused housing prices to spike, which caused extreme spikes in rental prices. They took the tax away, builders started building, but it was too late... rents are high as gently caress.

Anyway, get active if you're not.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

etcetera08 posted:

I'm a landlord in Austin TX and the entitlement of these tenants is absolutely outrageous. I bought this property about 10 years ago before the Austin market really took off (sold most of my stock right before the 08 crash) and I'm now making about 3x my mortgages on the units, but these people cannot even fix their own toilets. I swear to god if one more tenant calls me about a "flooded bathroom" I'm going to have to go over there myself and fix it. Unbelievable, you'd think these "tech bros" would learn how to take care of their own drat toilets.

Just raise the rent on those undesirables tech-bros in much the same way as this, the 12th post ever in this thread suggests.

Authentic You posted:

Raise the rent. My friend's parents own a rental duplex not far from me, and were renting it for what was a pretty drat good deal for the nice neighborhood it's in. When they were looking for new tenants, they'd get a shitton of inquiries about whether they accepted Section 8 (not sure about how Section 8 discrimination works in PA) and lots of low-quality applicants in general, so they just arbitrarily raised the rent by a few hundred a month. After that, only folks inquiring were quiet grad students, young professionals, and well-to-do young families.

Also, don't ever rent to undergrads. Ever. My downstairs neighbor is one of my landlord's maintenance guys, and oh god the stories he tells.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not that this will make any difference (cuz I said it before the thread got locked the last time), but a lot of the laws that would provide strong protections for renters can be made at the city/local level. You guys could absolutely make a difference by becoming politically active if you're not already. You're not making an iota of difference by raging at a forums mod.

This is untrue in many states. Perhaps trade in your holier than thou attitude for some actual knowledge about, I dunno, anything.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What states prohibit local laws regarding renter's rights?

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

What states prohibit local laws regarding renter's rights?

Most of them! http://www.landlord.com/rent_control_laws_by_state.htm This is obvious information to anyone with any knowledge about American housing. Since you position yourself as an expert it's surprising to see such a blind spot!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That is not what I'm talking about.

What I am saying is protections can be passed at a local level, other than (or in addition to) any protections at a state level.

For example, my city recently passed something called "right of first refusal" which protects people who live in trailer parks. States generally, as far as I am aware, have no prohibitions on local laws like that.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

This is always a fascinating thread for me to follow as neither a home owner or landlord.

Read this article today - for me this is the far more terrifying prospect for our future than a guy who wants to own a few rental properties.

http://fortune.com/longform/single-family-home-ai-algorithms/

One company owns 16,000 single family homes.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

That is not what I'm talking about.

What I am saying is protections can be passed at a local level, other than (or in addition to) any protections at a state level.

For example, my city recently passed something called "right of first refusal" which protects people who live in trailer parks. States generally, as far as I am aware, have no prohibitions on local laws like that.

I'm sorry, is rent control not a renter protection? Weird.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

etcetera08 posted:

I'm sorry, is rent control not a renter protection? Weird.

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

I literally posted a link showing that they are preempted. How are you this stupid

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

imagine being this optimistic about proletarian rights in america :kiddo:

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

imagine being this optimistic about proletarian rights in america :kiddo:

it's easy when you can just simply Buy A House https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312&userid=171677#post493914840

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Anyway, get active if you're not.

I am, and our biggest problem is people who don't see anything wrong with leaving basic human needs up to the market, but I always save some ire for anyone blaming the victims for being insufficiently "active."

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Man, sure am glad that the ruling class is so well educated and has the best reading comprehension. What with all the contracts they have us sign and are 100% legal.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa%96Hawkins_Rental_Housing_Act

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

Man, sure am glad that the ruling class is so well educated and has the best reading comprehension. What with all the contracts they have us sign and are 100% legal.

I'm definitely not ruling class, if that makes you feel any better. Generally I have good reading comprehension but not while I'm working and posting at the same time I guess.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I am, and our biggest problem is people who don't see anything wrong with leaving basic human needs up to the market, but I always save some ire for anyone blaming the victims for being insufficiently "active."

I don't blame anyone. I want stronger protections too, you know.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress da mods

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Simpsons Reference posted:

It has its rules on not discussing anything illegal. Anything beyond that, you're just going to have to deal with it existing.

If the only barrier to discussion is legality why are people being probated for pointing out the inherent parasitical nature of landlords?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Don't get me wrong I know this might be one of those, "in a gentle way you can shake the world" kinds of things but if you've really got beef with the institution of renting property for money why don't you take it to the doorstep of Sean Dobson or something instead of stampeding in on a bunch of generally reasonable people who try to conduct business in a what seems to be a largely decent and evenhanded way?

That is to say, if you want to be persuasive about the inevitable injustice of renting property (and the landlord tenant relationship) - and I think you can be! - why don't you try to be a bit more nuanced and sophisticated in attempting to persuade other thinking, breathing, valid, supposedly-decent human beings of the virtue of your perspective and the folly of theirs?

Except of course if the only actual avenues remaining to be a capital "L" leftist in the United States in 2019 are 1) to radicalize, leave the country for the third world where you'll pursue your ideology sincerely but with all the creature comforts and benefits of being born privileged in history's greatest hegemony discarded like so many of your outgrown teenage identities or 2) as an insufferable ongoing performance piece in which you posture about having read, thought, considered or talked about an endlessly tedious regression of ideas about ideas about ideas and where you botch every. genuine. opportunity. to persuade those who think or feel differently than you by clumsily deploying unconvincing memes or awkward catchphrases instead of meeting them halfway from the comfortable identity you've knitted together for yourself.

Because if instead of playing a role for fun on the internet you're trying to communicate real ideas with real meaning and real importance, you should know that the rest of the baggage is insufferable.

Unless you really truly believe that the citizenry of what qualifies as "the proletariat" in 2019's United States of America is ready for armed, bloody revolution against a capital class armed with a symphony of opioids (including some actual opioids) the likes of which Marx could have never imagined.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

etcetera08 posted:

Suck my dick you fuckman

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't get me wrong I know this might be one of those, "in a gentle way you can shake the world" kinds of things but if you've really got beef with the institution of renting property for money why don't you take it to the doorstep of Sean Dobson or something instead of stampeding in on a bunch of generally reasonable people who try to conduct business in a what seems to be a largely decent and evenhanded way?

That is to say, if you want to be persuasive about the inevitable injustice of renting property (and the landlord tenant relationship) - and I think you can be! - why don't you try to be a bit more nuanced and sophisticated in attempting to persuade other thinking, breathing, valid, supposedly-decent human beings of the virtue of your perspective and the folly of theirs?

Except of course if the only actual avenues remaining to be a capital "L" leftist in the United States in 2019 are 1) to radicalize, leave the country for the third world where you'll pursue your ideology sincerely but with all the creature comforts and benefits of being born privileged in history's greatest hegemony discarded like so many of your outgrown teenage identities or 2) as an insufferable ongoing performance piece in which you posture about having read, thought, considered or talked about an endlessly tedious regression of ideas about ideas about ideas and where you botch every. genuine. opportunity. to persuade those who think or feel differently than you by clumsily deploying unconvincing memes or awkward catchphrases instead of meeting them halfway from the comfortable identity you've knitted together for yourself.

Because if instead of playing a role for fun on the internet you're trying to communicate real ideas with real meaning and real importance, you should know that the rest of the baggage is insufferable.

Unless you really truly believe that the citizenry of what qualifies as "the proletariat" in 2019's United States of America is ready for armed, bloody revolution against a capital class armed with a symphony of opioids (including some actual opioids) the likes of which Marx could have never imagined.

Because you can threadshit from work/bed but you can't just go make waves in your local political scene as a poor worker who works two jobs.

Or at least that's my reason

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

i didn't read any of this

also i'm doing this at work and earning a cool paycheck while pretending to be productive at my bullshit job so i'm killing two landlord birds with one proletarian stone.

also i fight for tenant and worker rights daily and it tends to get preempted by the state of Texas constantly! what a loving shock! it's almost like the whole system is designed to, i don't know, consolidate wealth and power at the top while using state violence and brutality to keep the masses in check or something?!

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 25, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCHTRyDs4RU