Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
That’s what I thought, but I was wondering if there was some secret lawyerese-stuff coded in there. I’m not looking for a life partner, so I’ll continue to enjoy his company until I see any other red flags.

Kalman posted:

Also how recent was this? If a while ago, could just have been a young lawyer getting in over their head.

Either way, if you aren’t trusting him with anything more than the dinner check, probably ok.

Tyvm.
This happened early last year. So he can still practice law while on “probation”?

My shoplifting classmate stole <$500 merch from a SF department store. The article said sensor-removing device was found on their person at the time of arrest. They went to good undergrad/law school, so I wonder what the hell happened. But perhaps I should leave that stone unturned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

punchbuggy posted:

Tyvm.
This happened early last year. So he can still practice law while on “probation”?
yeah, probation means he's back to being a lawyer but he has to check in with the state bar at least 4 times a year, do some busywork, and just generally make sure he doesn't gently caress up again.

punchbuggy posted:

My shoplifting classmate stole <$500 merch from a SF department store. The article said sensor-removing device was found on their person at the time of arrest. They went to good undergrad/law school, so I wonder what the hell happened. But perhaps I should leave that stone unturned...

this profession does things to people, lady

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: t-t-t-t-triplepost

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I did some more digging (idk why I am invested in this but I'm still at work at 9 PM so I'm bored I guess) and found the actual grievance petition. his misconduct amounts to missing a court deadline and then ignoring his client's calls demanding a refund for a while. the state bar determined that he hosed up not because of a drug problem, but because he was going through a bad divorce when this stuff happened (in 2015) and failed to pay attention to the case. he has no other grievances filed since 2015. it sounds like one unfortunate fuckup in a 24 year career, it's really not too bad.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't think the top big law firms are jumping over themselves to hire (much) older second-career A-/B+ students, so I don't think it's a huge loss for me personally.

Sorry for going a few pages back to quote this, but don't assume this is true. It seemed like a trend in my class a few years ago to get people who had worked 2-5 years or even a few folks with entire career changes. I know a few former teachers (not TFA like, years), a reporter, then a few just "business" people. I think the experience is viewed as an asset. Knowing how to write an email gives you a leg up to some extent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

drat sv what are my kids names?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

drat sv what are my kids names?
hahahaha

look I am an HR investigator, being creepy as poo poo is what I do

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

punchbuggy posted:

Hey lawgoons, I had a great date with a man I met on a dating site yesterday. During our date, I found out that he is an attorney. When I arrived back home, of course I had to do a search on him—so help me out, what does this mean?

(Name), of (city), was suspended for 90 days and placed on probation for two years effective (date) ordered to notify clients of the discipline and perform other obligations under rule 9.20 of the California Rules of Court. (Name) was also ordered to take and pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination within one year. (Name) stipulated to six acts of misconduct including failing to perform legal services with competence, failing to respond to client inquires and failing to return client files. (Name) has no prior record of discipline.

So should I run away and never look back? He’s been practicing for 20 years (yes, we’re old). I’m just looking for a hot man to hang out with occasionally. He is nice, interesting, and very attractive.

Also, while I was looking up all the attorneys I know on the State Bar of CA website, I found out that a high school classmate of mine lost his license recently due to a shoplifting conviction. ☹️

SV, that dude is still loving up. The court mandated a CPA certified statement related to client funds and he recently asked for an extension after the deadline had passed which was denied. My advice for punchbuggy is that you're an adult so feel free to date him but do not lend him any money or let him use your credit or cosign anything with him.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

goddamnit Yuns let him find love you cold dead son of a bitch

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
]
Clapping Larry
drat, you guys, I am astounded at your investigative prowess. Lol several of you know who he is now and it’s all going to blow up in my face, isn’t it?

So I can take him to concerts and have dinner with him and maybe have sex with him, but keep an eye on my handbag at all times? Or since he’s a bad lawyer who doesn’t return his clients money I should say 👋 ? Decisions.

punchbuggy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 25, 2019

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

yeah I'm starting to realize why we don't get more visitors to our thread

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Sorry for going a few pages back to quote this, but don't assume this is true. It seemed like a trend in my class a few years ago to get people who had worked 2-5 years or even a few folks with entire career changes. I know a few former teachers (not TFA like, years), a reporter, then a few just "business" people. I think the experience is viewed as an asset. Knowing how to write an email gives you a leg up to some extent.

I'm comfortable saying I got my job because I'd worked in the real world for 4 years before law school.

It's also why I turned down a summer offer from a corporate firm where all the associates were dead eyed husks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
TBF, this took approx. 2 seconds to find.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm hoping that SV forgets to call Mr. Malpractice "him" and instead refers to him as "me" as his defense of this mysterious figure's misconduct stretches to a third page.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There are plenty of other attractive older men in the state of California who aren't acting questionably with their client's money, what's so great about this one? You barely met him, just move on.

Wait this isn't the BFC car buying thread

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Punchbuggy should edit the identifying stuff out of her posts and anyone quoting her should do likewise

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
drat guys. One grievance in 20+ years of practicing law and you’re dooming him to be an untouchable husk of a human being? Even guys just out of prison can get a date.

I say, date this man and don’t look back. Just be aware his love language may be failing to return calls in a timely manner.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

This thread has seen a lot of things but I think this is the first time someone's come here to talk about an attorney they went out with to get a bunch of second opinions before they create joinder.

:munch:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s only joinder if the bed sheets have gold fringes and you call him DELINQUENT::LAWYER, otherwise it’s a consensual interaction between flesh and blood humans.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This poo poo is hot

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This poo poo is hot

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah I'm starting to realize why we don't get more visitors to our thread

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

GamingHyena posted:

drat guys. One grievance in 20+ years of practicing law and you’re dooming him to be an untouchable husk of a human being? Even guys just out of prison can get a date.

I say, date this man and don’t look back. Just be aware his love language may be failing to return calls in a timely manner.

It’s like a DUI or getting caught with a prostitute. If you got popped once, it means it wasn’t your first time.

In related fuckup news, a motion for sanctions for filing a frivolous appeal I filed got denied, but the same counsel had like a $400k sanctions award affirmed the following week. Just when you thought things were going your way.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
How many of you followed up with a PM after suggesting she sever? 100%?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I have neither the time nor the inclination for that sort of business development so I just went ahead and forwarded YunsProgress.png and then sent him my standard referral invoice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Throatwarbler posted:

There are plenty of other attractive older men in the state of California who aren't acting questionably with their client's money

I'm not so sure about this

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
]
Clapping Larry

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sadly, no pm’s from lawgoons yet.

I’ll come back to update if anything awesome happens. We all know it’s not going to end well.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mentioning the NDA is a violation of the NDA...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OK I read through the actual disciplinary proceedings and find myself agreeing with my good pal Yuns, the muscular & ever-astute partner, rather than Soothing Vapors, former "HR Investigator," bottom-feeder, strike-breaker, and confirmed snitch, about the underlying conduct.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
client relationship development: .5

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Previous building manager for our office complex was fired due to just being the worst. Now one of the lawyers that has their offices here and was friendliest with the fired manager has "somehow" acquired the mailing list for the whole building and sent an email calling this an outrage, extolling the virtues of the previous administration, and warning of nebulous legal contingencies.

Don't know if I'm offended by the breach of legal ethics, envious of the initiative or just relieved they BCCed everyone and we don't have a reply-all meltdown happening right now.

Next building meeting should be fun.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
God drat I love this thread

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You're just saying that so we will have sex with you.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I could use some help with bar prep. Meet me in the study room. :wink:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
There are a lot of things the tech industry has done that I don't agree with, but making it possible to use Lexis without sitting at a dumb terminal is definitely not one of them.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

You're just saying that so we will have sex with you.

Is IT WORKING

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you don't want to get sanctioned you should work for the government. We just quietly sweep everything away and let you resign.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

OK I read through the actual disciplinary proceedings and find myself agreeing with my good pal Yuns, the muscular & ever-astute partner, rather than Soothing Vapors, former "HR Investigator," bottom-feeder, strike-breaker, and confirmed snitch, about the underlying conduct.
wait I'm trying to get a peer laid and Yuns is diming him out to his old lady, how am I the snitch here

blarzgh posted:

Is IT WORKING

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yuns posted:

SV, that dude is still loving up. The court mandated a CPA certified statement related to client funds and he recently asked for an extension after the deadline had passed which was denied. My advice for punchbuggy is that you're an adult so feel free to date him but do not lend him any money or let him use your credit or cosign anything with him.

you misread. he filed to have an extension or in the alternative the costs waived. he got the extension, he didn't get the costs waived. it's not super that he couldn't come up with $3k, but they agreed to let him pay it in installments, so he got his licence back, and he filed well before his 90 days were up.

it wasn't a thing re: the CPA certified statement

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

wait I'm trying to get a peer laid and Yuns is diming him out to his old lady, how am I the snitch here

I could have just said HR Investigator four times I suppose.