Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nessus posted:

This makes it sound like Grynwalt was an okama in Japanese or something. In English it just comes off like he finds Yotsuyu intimidating and offputting which, you know, seems like a pretty sensible reaction to Yotsuyu.

That's basically what it was, that way he's super loud and emotive in response to things, his inflection, he's basically speaking with a lisp. At least it sounds like it to me. Like he'd be a guest character alongside Hard Gay or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I really don't pick up any gay subtext from Grynewaht's JP voice personally. He sounds like a stereotypical overtly loud oaf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QSizv17Lg

e:

Eimi posted:

That's basically what it was, that way he's super loud and emotive in response to things, his inflection, he's basically speaking with a lisp. At least it sounds like it to me. Like he'd be a guest character alongside Hard Gay or something.

Lisps are considered to be something "dumb" characters do in Japanese since it's a shorthand for childishness. Not to say there aren't gay-coded characters that speak with a lisp in Japanese media (iirc Sylvando in Dragon Quest 11 does) but it's typically not considered gay as it is in the West.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 25, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eimi posted:

If you play with Japanese audio he's incredibly gay coded and it was really gross. I have no idea what he sounds like in English so they probably dropped that part of his character.

Edit: gross as in let's make him a gay villain for laughs, not that he is gay, just to clarify.

Another victory for the consistently superior english script.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eimi posted:

e: that sounded funnier in my head

It sounds like he was a doofus not specifically gay coded. Zenos is way more like that but of course you get the complexity of, the WoL's gender is defined by you. When I fantasia to Viera will Zenos have had rabbit fever retroactively?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eimi posted:

I definitely do not hear it. He just sounds like a loud oaf character. If he was supposed to be gay coded or whatever I feel it would be way way more blatant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

The sort of thing you're taking about can be used as gay coded but it's also frequently used for dumb/stupid thug type characters (and if you look at Itaru Yamamoto's credits he is basically 90% doing dumb/thug bit characters.) It's not how anyone actually talks outside anime but y'know, anime.

The okama stereotype is also not really used subtlety. Part of the stereotype is extreme flamboyance and while I haven't looked through the whole script what I do see seems to be written almost entirely as "this dude be a dumb bruiser." Again, if I missed something, feel free to correct me but I think you're mistaking a certain kind of generic stereotype for another.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 25, 2019

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/edit: turn out I'm an idiot!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 25, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been running PLD on adr to get some levels on it, and since adr is now 95% Syrcus Tower, at one point I got curious and decided to try popping Hallowed Ground during Curtain Call (I'm Valhia):

That is super weird. I saw this exact same exchange somewhere (maybe here) posted like a week or two ago.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ImpAtom posted:

That is super weird. I saw this exact same exchange somewhere (maybe here) posted like a week or two ago.

No, I checked. It was me. poo poo, my memory's going to hell. :<

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, I checked. It was me. poo poo, my memory's going to hell. :<

Haha, no worries, sorry. I actually was worried I was imagining things.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Have some "goodbye Stormblood" pictures of my FC instead.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jesus, I didn’t realise Brendan was so much of a poo poo.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Have some "goodbye Stormblood" pictures of my FC instead.

This is excellent.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Inner Release is one of the best cooldowns for screenshots.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm personally gonna hug my beautiful Bishop Turret buddy while In the Arms of the Angel plays. Ripperoni in spaghetti, my friend. Never forgetti. :unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

Moon Flute from Blue Mage is similarly excellent

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Moon Flute from Blue Mage is similarly excellent

One of my favorite things about Blue Mage (yes haha) is how many spells you can just spam with no target while sitting in town.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Eimi posted:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
My GF and I decided to take a bunch of farewell to stormblood screenshots, and practice murdering Sin Eaters.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tag yourself I'm the guy shrugging.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm the catgirl in the middle most of you will probably not even notice the first time. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dr Pepper posted:

6th rock from the left.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the squad's ready for shadowbringers

where my Roes at

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I know I had until 5.1, but gently caress it, this is out of the way. Finished most of it like last year at least. :shepicide:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Asimo posted:

I know I had until 5.1, but gently caress it, this is out of the way. Finished most of it like last year at least. :shepicide:

Funny, I got it last night too.

Turns out that Maelstorm is the Flames of JP datacenters.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Asimo posted:

Grats! I should get BRD and MCH before early access starts, but I'll still have four more to get sometime before 5.1

I only had one title before they announced it's going away

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Bard is technically considered a DPS, and not a healer, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah it doesnt heal at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Bard is technically considered a DPS, and not a healer, right?

No technically about it, they're a dps first and foremost and a supporter after that

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

mmmmm poo poo, there go my queue times.

Thought I had heard/read somewhere that they had something resembling a healing skill.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

mmmmm poo poo, there go my queue times.

Thought I had heard/read somewhere that they had something resembling a healing skill.

Bard could use Conjurer skills in 1.0.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

They also had Healer LB until sometime in 2.x.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Also in 2.X Bards had the "Healer/Support" Limit Break. Until HW when every job got a unique LB3 animation, and Bard got rolled in with MCH in the Ranged DPS category of LB instead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bard (and soon Dancer) kind of demonstrate a big pitfall of simplifying everything down to a 'DPS/healer/tank' triangle, because a non-healing support doesn't cleanly fit into that. They're classed as DPS not because that's what they're definitely supposed to be, but because they don't really have anywhere else to be.

At least they're useful and collectively understood to be in that weird position, though. It avoids Symmetra's problem in Overwatch, where 'support' was taken to mean 'healing' so she was seen as a bad support, and then she was retooled into being more of a supporting DPS but didn't fit into that niche either.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cleretic posted:

Bard (and soon Dancer) kind of demonstrate a big pitfall of simplifying everything down to a 'DPS/healer/tank' triangle, because a non-healing support doesn't cleanly fit into that. They're classed as DPS not because that's what they're definitely supposed to be, but because they don't really have anywhere else to be.

At least they're useful and collectively understood to be in that weird position, though. It avoids Symmetra's problem in Overwatch, where 'support' was taken to mean 'healing' so she was seen as a bad support, and then she was retooled into being more of a supporting DPS but didn't fit into that niche either.

Yeah I think they would have saved themselves a lot of headaches if they had made a fourth "Support" category back in 2.0. But, alas.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah I think they would have saved themselves a lot of headaches if they had made a fourth "Support" category back in 2.0. But, alas.

Kind of a hard sell to have a role just for one job and one job only. Queue times would be even worse than they already are.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
JESUS gently caress, SE, IT IS NOW WEEK-OF. WHERE ARE THE NAMING CONVENTIONS THREADS.

Cabbit posted:

Kind of a hard sell to have a role just for one job and one job only. Queue times would be even worse than they already are.

Queue times would be what they would be regardless.

SE stated in a live letter that they found that people who tended to play tanks continued to play tanks, people who tended to play healers, continued to play healers, and people who tended to play DPS continued to play DPS.

That, however, was in a post-HW live letter, but since they still haven't done one-of-each role again, I assume the conclusions they drew from that experience still hold up.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 25, 2019

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Bard and Dancer are fine and don't really actually provide more buffs than other classes. Like, I guess Bard has more buttons that support things, but they honestly feel like after thoughts that are most important in like, 90th percentile parses. Considering there's ice mages and honest healers out there, I shudder to think of what I'd have to deal with if people queued as a role where it was a healer without any healing but also a dps with worse damage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cabbit posted:

Presumably they would have made another support job when deciding this instead of just having Bard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dr Pepper posted:

Presumably they would have made another support job when deciding this instead of just having Bard.

They had to make Alphinaud and Alisaie twins because they couldn't afford to make another model an extra job at ARR launch wasn't ever in the cards