Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have a nice in depth beastmaster guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Are there any mods that let you have access to all the jobs right away, as well as let you actually get the Cannoneer's Combine stuff before you'd normally unlock them?

I'm getting kind of sick of having to plink away with -ara spells from Red Mages. I got the first tablet, so that'll help, but... uuuuuuuugh

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The first (and probably last) Triple Crown of 2019. BRD/TIM/THF/CHM. Hardest part of the game was pre-Water Crystal. Weird how once you get access to Slow & Haste, the game just kinda falls apart. Second hardest part was when I forgot Comet pierces Reflect, meaning I got to spend far too long farming too few Reflect Knights for Wall Rings using awful melee attacks. Although I do miss the GBA version, the Project Demi hack allowing me to chop my farming time by 4 with the multipliers is making me consider the SNES version to be my version of choice. We'll see if I do another run this year with the new Final Fantasy 14 expansion & Samurai Showdown monopolizing my free time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Are there any mods that let you have access to all the jobs right away, as well as let you actually get the Cannoneer's Combine stuff before you'd normally unlock them?

I'm getting kind of sick of having to plink away with -ara spells from Red Mages. I got the first tablet, so that'll help, but... uuuuuuuugh

Unlocks all jobs at start

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

It doesn't unlock the combine ingredients, but Open Fire is good enough offensively that you won't feel like it's a total drag.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://imgur.com/a/31s6uvs

I think I may be bad at this game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Crikey! Galuf has fun swears:

Crikey! Krile got revenge on NED with the Lamp after the party stabbed him a lot and threw all the legendary weapons (and some shurikens and a baker's dozen of twin lances) at him:

Crikey! Shinryu took awhile with only two people really doing damage to him but hey he couldn't hit anyone since they all knew !image:

So yeah run 3 is done. Mimic, Ninja, Thief, Freelancer was "spam A to kill" the run. It was alright but had a lot of boring grinding even though 8 twin lances is pretty fun.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 25, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

suspense is more interesting than blowouts

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've been trying to thief knife the second Ragnarok for the challenge and I just want to say drat you whoever made this challenge

Any tricks to manipulate rng with for the steal? I've played the battle four times and nada. Then I tried using save states for an equivalent amount and still nada.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Ah ha ha, Karl Boss's level is 5. I didn't have any idea and then I destroyed him with three goblin punches.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Should I even bother with Shinryu/Omega with Mime/Monk/Berserker/Red Mage?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Weird BIAS posted:

Should I even bother with Shinryu/Omega with Mime/Monk/Berserker/Red Mage?

you can berserk shinryu with the power staff, if you got one, making the fight manageable. Omega, not so much.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Thanks for this!

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Started an Advance run and got Thief, Summoner, Dancer and Cannoneer. It seems really, really clear Cannoneer absolutely was not meant to be used in the early game at all, I used a code to access all jobs at the start of the game and Open Fire just annihilates every boss almost immediately. I'm level 9 or so and it sometimes does 700ish damage for free and from the back row. It's pretty neat but things are going to be real easy for most of the game I think.

Shame the combine materials can't be acquired for a long time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
all the advanced classes are pretty op. at worst they're up there with really good classes like black mage and samurai and at best they blow them out of the water.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You can also berserk shinryu with rod access with the wonder wand, cycling its spell around is kind of obnoxious though.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

And here's my Butes for the pile. Next run I'm thinking of doing a classic Random run. Been a while since I've really gotten to tool around with Wind Crystal jobs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Naturally, with thief, geomancer, dragoon, and chemist, the void decides to take chemist away.

Like, at least I can steal dragon lances? But that's about it. I am definitely going to have to grind for the ned kill and there goes any chances of omega or shinryu.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

Behemoths are hilariously weak to status effects. Even if you don't need to fight them, it can be fun to take them out that way.

Turning them into a toad is satisfying, even if it takes a million casts.

Honestly, nothing short of a Brave Blade run or a Dragoon team has a reason to tangle with any Rift encounters. Even with the low run chance, it's still faster to flight than to fight.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Second run, a nice normal, complete: Thief/Summoner/Ranger/Dancer, or three Syldras and a rapidfire chicken.

Now...

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

:black101: I'M COMING FOR YOUR MONEY FISHMAN :black101:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My condolences.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Hempuli posted:

Whoa, triple-single-character-crown! Nice!

I'm not sure if you noticed that my post also had triple crown all with a single character alive. You just quoted the Omega pic.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, just want to be thorough!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
FF5FJF 2019, Run 1, Advance Risk: White Mage / ZERK / Samurai / Cannoneer

White Mage already made this for an easy run, Cannoneer ended up being insult to injury.

I had to slowly plink my way through Omega, but since his React script ignored Vulner Cannon, the fight was a lot less hectic than it would be normally (granted, VC is only 1000 damage against this jerk's defenses, so it was a VERY slow fight, since I only had one Combiner at the time; I probably could've grinded up a second, but I'm pretty sure I only survived because I had two people on White Magic duty).

Shin and NED were cake, the former thanks to the usual Berserk + Blink nonsense (aided by Slow from Combine), and the latter falling to any status I could get on any of them with Combine and then Zeninage and Dragon Cannon out its collective wazoo. I think Cannoneer might actually be more busted than Chemist offensively.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

I think Cannoneer might actually be more busted than Chemist offensively.

Once it gets access to shot, you're not wrong. It doesn't have quite the same depth of utility, but for raw offense it's second to maybe only Summoner.

One year I'll get Bard/Chemist and Cannoneer and get to shoot level 99 cannon shots. :getin:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Einwand posted:

You can also berserk shinryu with rod access with the wonder wand, cycling its spell around is kind of obnoxious though.

This is why if I can use it and don't have Berserk access I grab a Power Staff in Exdeath's Castle.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Dualcast + Gold Hairpin is literally two for the price of one :hellyeah:

But then again you only really get Kmart-level spells with Red so :downsgun:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Honestly, nothing short of a Brave Blade run or a Dragoon team has a reason to tangle with any Rift encounters. Even with the low run chance, it's still faster to flight than to fight.

Only if your offense sucks or the encounter is a crystal dragon. Or mover but those are always runnable

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

blinking beacon nose posted:

Dualcast + Gold Hairpin is literally two for the price of one :hellyeah:

But then again you only really get Kmart-level spells with Red so :downsgun:

I just wrapped up W1 with a Red Mage and I always forget how lovely their magic stat is. Insult to injury.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

derra posted:

This is why if I can use it and don't have Berserk access I grab a Power Staff in Exdeath's Castle.

...poo poo

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Only if your offense sucks or the encounter is a crystal dragon. Or mover but those are always runnable

If your only offense is magic though, behemoths will gently caress you up in a flash.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I don't know if I've ever killed a Behemoth during a Fiesta.

I've killed Movers, Crystal Dragons when Mug refuses to proc, Crystelles accidentally, sometimes Belphelgors because they're up there on the encounter table? Probably that guy that zombies you that you can steal Bone Mails from (see Crystal Dragon).

I dunno maybe a Berserker has taken something down when I am trying to run but that doesn't seem like it counts.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Doing my first run ever and got Black Mage, so that has been a fairly easy intro to this. How do I get my next job from Gilgabot?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Otter Madness posted:

Doing my first run ever and got Black Mage, so that has been a fairly easy intro to this. How do I get my next job from Gilgabot?

tweet #water, #fire, or #earth at it for the respective crystals

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tweet #water at him.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
Thanks!!!

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The other option is click the button on your run page

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Doom Goon posted:

:toxx:
Oh, time to fulfill one and make one! Only Can of Worms and myself completed this one last Fiesta:

And I'm doing it again: $1 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end (must complete a normal run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs), although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay. It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.

I went with the extra spicy variant which was pretty crazy.
Ended up with two dualcasters with either black or summon combined with a white/time mage hybrid. The most boring one was faris, who was a slightly better bard.

I'll go back to normal runs next, but it was an interesting one-off.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
First run is completed!

Chaos + BERSERKERRISK ended up giving me a fairly standard no750 team. Most of the run was easy if a little grindy at points, but Neo Exdeath proved to be genuinely challenging. Thanks to Beastmaster, Omega and Shinryu were much simpler to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Kyrosiris posted:

Once it gets access to shot, you're not wrong. It doesn't have quite the same depth of utility, but for raw offense it's second to maybe only Summoner.

One year I'll get Bard/Chemist and Cannoneer and get to shoot level 99 cannon shots. :getin:

This is my run this year. White Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Cannoneer.

I'm ready.