Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The game is pitched as an emulation of the storytelling aspects of the Dark Souls genre, it’s pretty clear from the post that this is the case. It’s not trying to model the mechanical aspects of the game directly.

Modelling the mechanical parts of Souls games would also be completely loving pointless because nothing it does on a mechanical level is particularly unique or interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dark Souls but like Catacombs or Seal Team Flix. I think STF has ai-controlled enemies rolling dice rather than flicking, so it doesn't need a GM like catacombs.

Of course making a flicking-based game work well for primarily melee might be tough.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

Bleak Spirit can absolutely work with two players. I think you lose a certain something, since the fewer players you have the less diversity of ideas you'll be working with, but nothing breaks.

I know Jeff Stormer's recorded a two-player game of it on Party of One if you want to hear how it could go, but that's not going to drop until tomorrow. (Or maybe later today? TIME ZONES.)

That's cool! Like I mentioned before, I was pretty sold on it before, but if it works at all for two players, that's a bonus. Just pledged!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Modelling the mechanical parts of Souls games would also be completely loving pointless because nothing it does on a mechanical level is particularly unique or interesting.

Then why is there a whole genre people are calling souls-like?

Sure, all the mechanics had precursors rather than being totally original (e.g. it didn't invent corpse runs, but it is the reason they are everywhere), but putting existing mechanics together in a new and interesting configuration and executing them well is worth emulating, isn't it?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jimbozig posted:

Sure, all the mechanics had precursors rather than being totally original (e.g. it didn't invent corpse runs, but it is the reason they are everywhere), but putting existing mechanics together in a new and interesting configuration and executing them well is worth emulating, isn't it?

even if you cant emulate the exact mechanics creating a system that provides a similar type of engagement and feel is definitely possible

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jimbozig posted:

Cargo-culting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jimbozig posted:

Because he's trivially and obviously wrong.

Just off the top of my head, stealing Dark Souls' model of status build-up and resistances alone would improve any TRPG that currently uses saving throws.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Bleak Spirit is cool and extremely dark souls. So is Rhapsody of Blood. I'm sorry it doesn't provide the thing that you want out of that, but other people clearly seem to think those games do for them, so they do, and are.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because he's trivially and obviously wrong.

Just off the top of my head, stealing Dark Souls' model of status build-up and resistances alone would improve any TRPG that currently uses saving throws.

1990 called and they want their mechanics back.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

1990 called and they want their mechanics back.

the hell are you talking about, saving throws are the 90s mechanic

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the hell are you talking about, saving throws are the 90s mechanic

The hell are you talking about, saving throws were invented in the 1970s.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

The hell are you talking about, saving throws were invented in the 1970s.

And remained popular to this day and in every decade in between, which is why it's really bizarre that (if?) you're suggesting status effects which depend on depleting a resource pool instead of being randomly all-or-nothing is somehow regressive or outdated design.

If you're saying there's an old game that does that I would like to know about it so I can see what other good design might have been left by the wayside.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Flavivirus posted:

Your mileage may vary as to how well it evokes said boss fights, but the confrontation system in Rhapsody of Blood (and now also in Voidheart Symphony) was 100% intended to evoke this - combat is all about searching for openings and then using them to strike away portions of your opponent's strengths.

Rhapsody has a sequel game? I'll have to check it out, thanks for posting.

When you say it's in development, what exactly does that mean/how far along would you say it is?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Agent Rush posted:

Rhapsody has a sequel game? I'll have to check it out, thanks for posting.

When you say it's in development, what exactly does that mean/how far along would you say it is?

It’s playable now, but not all of the playbooks/Covenants are written and the long-term campaign mechanics are still pretty up in the air. Still plenty of examples of play, starter scenarios, example NPCs etc to come.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
lmao

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403197699/servants-of-chaos?ref=discovery_category_popular

oh god

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/948520971/the-barbarian-model-kits?ref=discovery_category_popular

Marzipan Pig fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 20, 2019

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Orcs from WarCraft 3: Titties Edition

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

S.J. posted:

The Orcs from WarCraft 3: Titties Edition
Orcs orcs
Titties titties
Orcs 'n titties

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I cannot stop laughing at this. Local Tough Orc outta nowhere

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Heists blew through it's first and second stretch goal yesterday (Then someone pulled a big pledge and we're back just below the second one again). Writers and artists are getting a 25% pay increase, which I think is p cool. I also told our map artists to go ahead and get started on the next few maps so I should have some art to share soon. Thanks to everyone here for the support, as usually y'all make up a pretty substantial chunk of the funding and I love you all v much.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanjenarocoop/the-roleplayers-guide-to-heists

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Heists blew through it's first and second stretch goal yesterday (Then someone pulled a big pledge and we're back just below the second one again). Writers and artists are getting a 25% pay increase, which I think is p cool. I also told our map artists to go ahead and get started on the next few maps so I should have some art to share soon. Thanks to everyone here for the support, as usually y'all make up a pretty substantial chunk of the funding and I love you all v much.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanjenarocoop/the-roleplayers-guide-to-heists

Well we can’t have that, now can we? Bumped you back to the stretch goal. :glomp:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Escape: The Curse of the Temple has a kickstarter that has gone live. What is the goon consensus on it? It seems fun but simple which means that it is probably a solid opening game before moving onto longer/more complex games. How does it hold up overall?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've only played Escape once and all I remember was that it involved rolling a lot of dice. It was not a particularly fun nor memorable experience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've also only played once and enjoyed it as a fairly mindless filler...but I don't really see a need for a "big box" of it. Simplicity is best for a game like that, in my opinion.

Also, Queen Games has another big box project they're several months late on fulfilling, so I'd be a bit wary about backing a different one, if I were you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/catherineredgate/waters-edge

A preview copy of this showed up at my Sunday group yesterday, and I said I'd pass the word along. It's a card game about trawling for fish while building a lighthouse. The taller the lighthouse gets the more it scores, but until you complete it you can't take extra actions at night. As the game has finite turns this can be important.

I didn't get to play it myself as we split into three 3s and I had to teach Tiny Towns, but the people who did play it played it again straight after. The preview copy was an early full production copy, with only KS stretch goal cards and a few small final tweaks to be made, so the expected delivery date of September seems very plausible.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Ikwen Uprising is a bid to fund a large expansion to a sci-fi lizard-alien themed set of 15mm figures, including vehicles. Themed as a rag-tag army of rebellious multi-eyed lizard people, including alien technicals. Half-way funded, with 6 days to go.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LashLightning posted:

The Ikwen Uprising is a bid to fund a large expansion to a sci-fi lizard-alien themed set of 15mm figures, including vehicles. Themed as a rag-tag army of rebellious multi-eyed lizard people, including alien technicals. Half-way funded, with 6 days to go.

What's the go-to 15mm sci-fi rules set?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

jivjov posted:

I've also only played once and enjoyed it as a fairly mindless filler...but I don't really see a need for a "big box" of it. Simplicity is best for a game like that, in my opinion.

Also, Queen Games has another big box project they're several months late on fulfilling, so I'd be a bit wary about backing a different one, if I were you.
This is good to know, thanks. I am already waiting on a simple game with a big box that over inflates the complexity/price tag that is running behind schedule so I can probably survive without another!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Moonflower is a beautiful game with a unique premise. GMless and Tarot-driven, this kind of thing is extremely my poo poo. Maybe also yours?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Got my final address confirmation for Lifeform, so not long now! :toot:

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Any thoughts on Cloudspire? It looks like something I would enjoy and debating if I want to add it to my Too Many Bones pledge.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

potatocubed posted:

Moonflower is a beautiful game with a unique premise. GMless and Tarot-driven, this kind of thing is extremely my poo poo. Maybe also yours?

it is but not something i can afford right now

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Has anyone received their copy of The King is Dead yet?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fate Horror Toolkit PDFs are available to backers.

It's from the chapter for spooky games for kids.

EDIT: Oh woops, I guess FHT came out last year and I got this from the Cthulhu Kickstarter. Huh.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Zurui posted:

Has anyone received their copy of The King is Dead yet?

Just got mine today.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
What's the story with Middara? Is it just a tiddy adventure or is it secretly better than the BGG ratings let on? It's not often I check kickstarter and there's a new game hovering around 2m out of the blue.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
It sounds like it is a maybe okay dungeon crawler/campaign game kinda thing? Apparently though it has an obscene amount of text so is very much one of those game-book style games. One post I read said at times you might spend up to thirty minutes just reading (or listening - it has narration for everything) entries in the game book. That + being anime killed any interest I might otherwise have had.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Meatbag Esq. posted:

is it secretly better than the BGG ratings let on?

BGG loves it. It is the #1 rated thematic game if you go by average user rating. There are only 466 ratings though, so the geek score is low at least partially based on sample size. Interestingly, Gloomhaven is #5 by user rating but has 25,000 sample size.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

New Fragged Empires kickstarter is up for three expansions for the main game, Fragged Aeternum, and Fragged Empires. $31 for all three in PDF and it looks like a ton of overall content.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Playable Oni is a weird promise but tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Atlas Hugged posted:

What's the go-to 15mm sci-fi rules set?

There's a fair few, depending on if you go with many-figures-on-a-single-base or individual figures on their own bases each.