Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Leveling monk is fun so far! The changes sound like they'll be quite drastic even if they don't fundamentally change the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

I've already posted my main bun who will be replacing one of my balmung characters, but I just level jumped one of the alts I snuck onto excalibur during the big data center shuffle and this fantasia is in her imminent future:

Brainamp posted:

Other pics unrelated I'm just really hype.

dude I always love your screenshots, but drat if these aren't especially ridiculously good :allears:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'm currently downloading this game and kind of overwhelmed at the amount of content and links in the OP. I'm not a big MMORPG guy these days, but I did play FFXI in the long long ago (like 2003-2008 or so). I'll take my time reading through everything in more detail but I have two questions:

1. If I am not a big PVP guy but would like to play with and chat with goons and stuff, I should join the Exclaibur server and I guess either DGKK or Third Party Tools based on what I read on the links, is that right?
2. Are there any jobs that are just straight up bad, or will make the early game hard / hard to find groups? I played PLD/WAR and some MNK in FFXI but I kinda want to do something else this time around. BRD seems cool, as does SAM and BLM just for something different from what I used to do. idk.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Impermanent posted:

really, really don't trust reddit theory threads for how a class plays in practice. Don't go to the balance, don't go to the official forums, don't go anywhere. Those guys always scream that the sky's falling and invariably their complaints are either a: wrong or b: patched within a month or so.

And often times C: completely discounting the Fun factor that a person can have playing a class.

IE the 'Ultimate Bahamut world first clear had a tank that played Dark Knight because said tank enjoyed the class' clause.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Impermanent posted:

really, really don't trust reddit theory threads for how a class plays in practice. Don't go to the balance, don't go to the official forums, don't go anywhere. Those guys always scream that the sky's falling and invariably their complaints are either a: wrong or b: patched within a month or so.

this this this

People were going all Chicken Little on jobs less than 24 hours after the new Job Actions trailer dropped and the updates were explained in detail. Just wait until 5.0 and try things out for yourself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Berzerker posted:

1. If I am not a big PVP guy but would like to play with and chat with goons and stuff, I should join the Exclaibur server and I guess either DGKK or Third Party Tools based on what I read on the links, is that right?
2. Are there any jobs that are just straight up bad, or will make the early game hard / hard to find groups? I played PLD/WAR and some MNK in FFXI but I kinda want to do something else this time around. BRD seems cool, as does SAM and BLM just for something different from what I used to do. idk.

Excalibur is the NA server, but it can be hard to create characters on it specifically. You can try at weird times of the day / night.
Anywhere else on Primal would still get you grouping with Excalibur if need be, and you should be able to server transfer later.

No jobs are bad, but tanks and healers will get you through queues quicker for group content, as well as being overall more in demand. Everything is perfectly capable to solo or use as a main job regardless. Even a healer will steamroll any damage dependant content if you hit buttons regularly.
Also note you can switch jobs around on the fly, so it's not a huge deal if you don't like the job you start with.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Failboattootoot posted:

:hmmyes:

Not really. If the stated reason we aren't getting the gender pairs is their work pipeline can't handle it, then cutting out work they have to do makes sense. Making gear sets for like, 3% and 5% of the population, when at least half of those are just going to glam random level 1 costumes, is absurd. Never mind the knockon effect of having less useless crap mucking up drop tables. Luv 2 git scouting gear when there's no nin's around. They should just roll them both into striking and then cycle through the aesthetics.

a.) This is a silly idea and b.) if ninja were going to be rolled on to anything, it should be aiming because they all use dexterity as their primary stats.

Also it's hard enough trying to find good samurai aesthetic stuff in the tide of monk gear, having to swim through ninja stuff as well would make it even worse.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

The Berzerker posted:

There is no world pvp so all servers are the same. Most US goons are on Excalibur. Pvp is all instanced and uses entire unique abilities and rotations when you enter a pvp "instance"

The Berzerker posted:

Tanks are the most needed of jobs, healers second and dps third. Queue times shouldn't be that long even if you level as a dps.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thanks! I will worry less about getting on Excalibur specifically to start out. I may eventually try tanking again, I just find tanking is a high pressure job and since I'm going to be incredibly rusty at MMOs (and brand new to this one) I want to start with something easy for my old man brain.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We have the technology to have one set of gear be different stats based on who equips it. Like the Aetheryte Earrings literally just give you "+Main Attribute". They could have striking ninja gear if they wanted.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Berzerker posted:

I'm currently downloading this game and kind of overwhelmed at the amount of content and links in the OP. I'm not a big MMORPG guy these days, but I did play FFXI in the long long ago (like 2003-2008 or so). I'll take my time reading through everything in more detail but I have two questions:

1. Yes, but unfortunately Excalibur right now is a congested world, which means you can't create characters on it (nor transfer from other servers). You could create a character in another server in the same data centre (Primal) and still get to play with goons if they invite you to a party, which you could set up via Discord I guess. You could also eventually transfer into Excal when it opens up again, but I'm afraid you'd have to pay for the transfer.

2. Nah. You'll get way faster queues on Tank/Healer compared to DPS, but just play what you like. There's a metric fuckton of stuff to do in this game, and one of the things that sold me on it was that you can do everything on a single character; swapping a class is as easy as changing a weapon, so don't be afraid to try new stuff.
Do bear in mind that classes change a lot as you level up, so a class you may hate at 30 could potentially be 100% Your poo poo at cap.

I'd say start by picking a role (tank/healer/dps) rather than a class, then see what sounds fun within that role and start with that. You can't lock yourself out of anything, so don't be afraid to go "lol no" and just try something else for a while.

I really enjoy BRD but it's kinda... meh at the start, and it goes incredibly plate spinny at 70, but the upcoming changes read like they streamlined a lot of the bullshit so it should be in a better place now. SAM is really fun, doesn't have a lot of positionals and it's getting some of its complexity toned down , BUT you unlock it at 50, so that ma not be an option for a while.

BLM is fantastic fun, but imo it's kinda miserable for running solo content (like MSQ which is most of what you'll be doing at the start) because you have nothing to take aggro from you so you'll be constantly interrupting your casts to avoid AoEs and ugh.

If you liked PLD/WAR you could try starting our with one of them for MSQ purposes and levelling BLM on the side for dungeons and group content. WAR is fantastic at low levels and the revamped PLD sounds like it'll be close to it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

smn losing the tank pet sucks, since you gonna get beat on a ton when leveling. probably not as annoying as blm since smn has a ton of instants too but still.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Addendum: this is a really good overview of the jobs and their playstyle, and should still hold for 5.0 since it doesn't go into rotations or specific skills

https://youtu.be/FwQf6H7ESo4

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Edmond Dantes posted:

Addendum: this is a really good overview of the jobs and their playstyle, and should still hold for 5.0 since it doesn't go into rotations or specific skills

https://youtu.be/FwQf6H7ESo4

I actually watched that before I posted, it's what helped me figure things out. Sounds like BLM would be annoying to solo at the start with, so I might go a more traditional tank and then play around later. I'll figure it out!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'm an insanely anxious person, but the game eases you so well into tanking that I don't stress about it anymore. So don't worry about being rusty or anything. It even offers a tutorial (that gives you good gear) at level 15 to help you get the hang of it in a stress-free environment.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cabbit posted:

a.) This is a silly idea and b.) if ninja were going to be rolled on to anything, it should be aiming because they all use dexterity as their primary stats.

Also it's hard enough trying to find good samurai aesthetic stuff in the tide of monk gear, having to swim through ninja stuff as well would make it even worse.

Ninja already uses striking gear until like, ilvl 110.

Regardless of that, I don't really give a poo poo what armor set they end up on. They shouldn't be making entire gear sets for 2 individual jobs. Stick nins on aiming and drg on fending. Burn striking to the ground and stick mnk and sam on maiming instead. Doesn't matter.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Marin Karin posted:

I'm an insanely anxious person, but the game eases you so well into tanking that I don't stress about it anymore. So don't worry about being rusty or anything. It even offers a tutorial (that gives you good gear) at level 15 to help you get the hang of it in a stress-free environment.

It sounds like they fixed a lot of the problems that drove me to quit FFXI (inability to solo effectively, bad learning curve) so I think I will enjoy this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In any dungeon, for any role, just saying 'hey I'm new' will take all the tension out and have 90% of players falling over themselves to help you. Frankly it's endearing and one of the things that I really like about this game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

It sounds like they fixed a lot of the problems that drove me to quit FFXI (inability to solo effectively, bad learning curve) so I think I will enjoy this.

For what it's worth, they've fixed those issues in FFXI too :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah. When I ran Tam-Tara Deepcroft, or whatever it's called, a few weeks ago, I let the group know that it was my first time back since vanilla, so I'd probably be rusty and bad at tanking, and everyone was completely chill about it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

For what it's worth, they've fixed those issues in FFXI too :v:

Not sure about the learning curve (XI still has tons of hidden/not obvious information and systems being an utterly ancient game), but inability to solo yeah.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

queeb posted:

post ur buns

i would but homegrown is prohibited

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Hogama posted:

It was during the dev panel at the Paris fanfest, when they had Ayumi Namae, the character concept artist on. During the Alisaie part of her panel (around 1:45:00 into this video https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373886703?collection=gSbBZoRwkxVsGQ if you want to gauge for yourself how serious they were being), they related the anecdote of running low on resources to allocate during ARR's development, and they still needed 2 characters, so part of the design request she got was for twins.

(Alisaie's look was designed first and Alphinaud was twinned from her, by the by.)

This was from a few pages ago, but it made me wonder...

The twins only speak to each other when you're listening to the city leaders' speeches, then they split up shortly after. This could easily had been just one Leveilleur grandchild talking to you, stating both sides of the argument. So I wonder what the original plan for Alisaie was, considering it's quite a while before she joins the MSQ.

And whatever happened to her retainers that follow her out of the Quicksand?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Have you done Coil, Poffin?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Trying to get things setup for Friday.

Will leves/custom deliveries all get reduced to 10k exp when expansion hits?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Leves almost definitely will. It's been a while since I used CDs for leveling instead of scrip, but I'm pretty sure Zhloe's were still worth good exp on classes above 60.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thats how HW and SB worked so I would assume so. Its still how things work when you hit 60 on a crafter/gatherer - 51-59 stuff goes to 10k.

Custom deliveries however do seem to keep the same amount of XP, presumably they don't care because you can only burn them once for like 1/4 a level because you're in the wrong range. Still if it works that level 67 guy with the pig head should give you some xp? Otherwise red script for commercial manuals.

edit: crafter beast tribes go to 10k xp too along with leves and collectibles

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 25, 2019

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

https://twitter.com/Dokinana

I like art.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'm still mostly on the fence on if I want to change, especially since Femroe's aren't as populated as the other races and have been playing as once since drat near the beginning of ARR. Started off as a Midlander or so very briefly before seeing the light.

Still made a couple potential Viera's though.

I think I like the green with purple tufts.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I'm going to be torn DRK and PLD for tanking. They both have some real nice changes to play more smoothly and they both have nice AF gear.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Become what you must.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

BrightWing posted:

Become what you must.

Become...

A bunny-tiger-potato-man.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vadoc posted:

I'm still mostly on the fence on if I want to change, especially since Femroe's aren't as populated as the other races and have been playing as once since drat near the beginning of ARR. Started off as a Midlander or so very briefly before seeing the light.

I'm in the same boat. I've been a femroe since I started playing, but I kind of want to try out a Viera for a change. I have 2 fantasias sitting around so I can just change back if I change my mind.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
My potato man got petted today. I didn't find it creepy cause he is helluva cool and tiny

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

The Berzerker posted:

I actually watched that before I posted, it's what helped me figure things out. Sounds like BLM would be annoying to solo at the start with, so I might go a more traditional tank and then play around later. I'll figure it out!

FWIW I've leveled BLM first every expansion and had no issues. Admittedly I enjoy it in part because I have to pay a little more attention, but I really like the core fire/ice mechanics and it's one of the jobs I find least annoying when solo.

I usually advise friends who want to try the game to avoid Arcanist, Dragoon and Conjurer for their starting class if they don't otherwise have a preference. Those are uncommonly simplistic at low levels, even by FF14s very gentle standards. Better to check them out as a second class and catch up when you can speed them through the early levels than use them for the early MSQ. That might be different on Friday though.

Ultimately you don't need to worry about viability, everyone can solo whatever. Pick something with cool effects, good aesthetics and buttons you like.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
We postin our femroe?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As someone who likes beast races I’m pretty bummed that they just made another cat person. They should have made the lizard or pig race from XII since they were already using the bunnies.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have you done Coil, Poffin?

No... and having just checked the wiki on it, I see what purpose she serves.

Odd that all the information about what exactly happened during the opening cutscene is never explained at any point in the main story.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ethiser posted:

As someone who likes beast races I’m pretty bummed that they just made another cat person. They should have made the lizard or pig race from XII since they were already using the bunnies.
Tonberries when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
The already had trouble with Hrothgar regarding... everything from hair to helmets. Imagine a race with a non-humanoid body. Yikes.