Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What a shame that Assad explicitly targetted the moderate opposition forces in order to strengthen the Islamists so that regime apologists can then lament their barbarism in justification of Assad's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I do wonder how much of the rise of Islamist military in Syria and Iraq boiled down to those groups being able to field better infantry than the competing insurgents. Infantry seems to be the big deciding factor in wars like this.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Haystack posted:

I do wonder how much of the rise of Islamist military in Syria and Iraq boiled down to those groups being able to field better infantry than the competing insurgents. Infantry seems to be the big deciding factor in wars like this.

There's lots of chicken and and egg questions here.

Did a strong armed force allow ISIS to spread its ideology? Or did the ideology of ISIS allow them to grow a strong armed force?

In short though, they were better at fighting than most of their competitors.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Unimpressed posted:

What a shame that Assad explicitly targetted the moderate opposition forces in order to strengthen the Islamists so that regime apologists can then lament their barbarism in justification of Assad's own.

I seriously hope this is a joke post.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Frond posted:

it is a correct assessment of early Team Assad strategy

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It has 0 basis in reality.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
His strongest opponents were always Islamists.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
His post was absolutely 100% accurate and your perception of reality validates Assad’s strategy. Regardless of their military power or effectiveness, moderate groups were always eliminated while extremist groups were allowed to live.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 25, 2019

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

dream9!bed!! posted:

There's like 100 proud boys

There are tens of thousands.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Doesn't that make sense though? The moderate rebels were receiving aid from the West and looked poised to usurp Assad. No one would have tolerated the extremist groups taking power, but the moderates could have taken control and been recognized as legitimate.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sergg posted:

There are tens of thousands.

It's estimated that there are about 6,000 members, actually. They'd sure like you to think there's tens of thousands, though.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Assad did prioritize secular rebel groups for 3 reasons.

1) Secular/nationalist rebels like the FSA tended to be mostly urban and took over the areas closest to Syria's coastline and it's most strategically important cities, and early on in the conflict they were better armed since they were primarily formed from defecting SAA units.
2) ISIS was mostly killing other rebels in lesser populated areas until Assad suffered a major PR disaster when ISIS massacred the garrison of Taqba Airbase and posted the videos all over the internet.
3) Assad knew that Western countries would never allow a group like ISIS to take over Iraq or Syria and that the US would intervene at some point, especially if ISIS provoked the US with public beheadings of US journalists. This is why Assad handed US journalist, James Foley, over to ISIS. They knew he would be publicly beheaded and the US would be provoked to intervene against ISIS. It was only later on that we discovered he had been initially captured by the Syrian government and was held in a Damascus prison run by Syrian Air Force Intelligence.

Deteriorata posted:

It's estimated that there are about 6,000 members, actually. They'd sure like you to think there's tens of thousands, though.

There are about 20,000. Your article is from 2 years ago and they were actively recruiting through Facebook until a few months ago.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 25, 2019

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The Proud Boys are essentially an umbrella group where people are vetted and Neo-Nazi groups like NSM, Identity Europa, Aryan Nations, and all the splitters from ex-National Front used the Proud Boys as a feeder organization to filter recruits down to them who had already been vetted. Neo-Nazis use MRA groups as recruiting grounds because they play upon many of the same psychological issues and they run in the same circles where many people are self-radicalized like 4chan, 8chan, Voat, and Gab.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sergg posted:

3) Assad knew that Western countries would never allow a group like ISIS to take over Iraq or Syria and that the US would intervene at some point, especially if ISIS provoked the US with public beheadings of US journalists. This is why Assad handed US journalist, James Foley, over to ISIS. They knew he would be publicly beheaded and the US would be provoked to intervene against ISIS. It was only later on that we discovered he had been initially captured by the Syrian government and was held in a Damascus prison run by Syrian Air Force Intelligence.

I stopped following this poo poo some time ago because it was so exceptionally awful, so I guess I missed this whole development. How exceptionally awful! I wish all of those US tax dollars had gone to a good cause, like dropping a giant bomb on Assad.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Frond posted:

It has 0 basis in reality.

If you search this thread and it's previous iterations there were a significant number of posts examining the policy and it's potential benefits / reasons.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 25, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the other big one is that the moderate (read: not openly in it for faith) groups were relatively easy pickings due to being a bunch of smaller groups, none of which agreed with one another about anything, whereas the Saudi/American exports did an excellent job of subsuming any lesser groups who were in it for the glory of God.

not helping the cause was the ongoing-to-this-day issue of the Pentagon and CIA not being able to decide which Moderates (tm) were going to be America's horse in this race, and so getting their respective catspaws to fight one another in the world's most inhuman Pokemon knockoff

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 25, 2019

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Frond posted:

As do I of yours. Assad, right from the start, looked to position himself as the defender of secularism and minorities even as he butchered his own people by the thousands. He targetted secular opposition groups and was defacto allied with ISIS in the early months enabling him and Russia to trade in the anti Islamist currency. A currency you're obviously heavily invested in.

The current state of the opposition being dominated by Muslim extremists was the outcome he sought and achieved.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Assad objectively did use ISIS to squeeze the moderate rebels, and ISIS more or less went along with it because both sides rationally concluded that significant outside groups couldn't possibly support the other, while the moderates were soft targets with massive potential to grow in strength if they gained outside support (and the other jihadist groups ISIS targeted threatened their legitimacy). Something being rational doesn't make it commendable of course, though cynicism also influenced Israel's policy, as they allowed both Al Qaeda and ISIS to control territory on their border unmolested for years (while freaking out if they see an Iranian anywhere in southern Syria), and of course Turkey's, as they allowed ISIS free use of their territory for recruitment for quite some time to use them against the Kurds.

FWIW, there was a paper a year or two ago discussing why extremists tend to become dominant members of rebel factions in lengthy civil wars because their perceived ideological purity makes potential members see them as more trustworthy and less corrupt. ISIS also clearly used its high morale as a force multiplier, to an insane extent at times in Iraq, where (for example) a force of 1500 or less captured Mosul from 30,000 Iraqi soldiers backed by 30,000 police.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sergg posted:

The Proud Boys are essentially an umbrella group where people are vetted and Neo-Nazi groups like NSM, Identity Europa, Aryan Nations, and all the splitters from ex-National Front used the Proud Boys as a feeder organization to filter recruits down to them who had already been vetted. Neo-Nazis use MRA groups as recruiting grounds because they play upon many of the same psychological issues and they run in the same circles where many people are self-radicalized like 4chan, 8chan, Voat, and Gab.
My brain didn't even register that this post wasn't talking about ISIS or another militant group in Syria until like halfway through. Goddrat those parallels are creepy.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Assad objectively did use ISIS to squeeze the moderate rebels, and ISIS more or less went along with it because both sides rationally concluded that significant outside groups couldn't possibly support the other, while the moderates were soft targets with massive potential to grow in strength if they gained outside support (and the other jihadist groups ISIS targeted threatened their legitimacy). Something being rational doesn't make it commendable of course, though cynicism also influenced Israel's policy, as they allowed both Al Qaeda and ISIS to control territory on their border unmolested for years (while freaking out if they see an Iranian anywhere in southern Syria), and of course Turkey's, as they allowed ISIS free use of their territory for recruitment for quite some time to use them against the Kurds.

FWIW, there was a paper a year or two ago discussing why extremists tend to become dominant members of rebel factions in lengthy civil wars because their perceived ideological purity makes potential members see them as more trustworthy and less corrupt. ISIS also clearly used its high morale as a force multiplier, to an insane extent at times in Iraq, where (for example) a force of 1500 or less captured Mosul from 30,000 Iraqi soldiers backed by 30,000 police.

ISIS in particular also got to tap a lot of very relevant combat experience, what with the Iraqui Sunnis and Chechnyans and whatnot. Other factions didn't really have that, apart from, well, the Kurds. That, and ISIS managed to literally weaponize their huge influx of angry young failsons. Those were pretty huge competitive advantages.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

double nine posted:

so how much of a self-own was the "cyber-attack"? seems to me that warning the iranians that their defense systems are vulnerable will lead them to plug those security flaws for when/if the warmongers succeed in getting their war with iran?

Assuming the cyber attack actually happened. I mean, we only have the US's word that it did.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's like, "okay, Trump set the house on fire, but at the last minute he didn't decide to lock the dog in, because he was afraid of going back into the burning house with it, so hurray for Trump saving the dog! From the murder he was planning! The house is still on fire, mind."

Property damage is a step up from the US' usual MO.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Saladin Rising posted:

My brain didn't even register that this post wasn't talking about ISIS or another militant group in Syria until like halfway through. Goddrat those parallels are creepy.

I'm sure their intense training regimen of harassing women over the internet and masturbating in loneliness will make them an equally terrifying force.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm sure their intense training regimen of harassing women over the internet and masturbating in loneliness will make them an equally terrifying force.

We talking about the Proud Boys or ISIS here?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Darth Walrus posted:

We talking about the Proud Boys or ISIS here?

Does masturbating in the Chechen mountains count as altitude training?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm pretty sure that's goatfucking.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Does masturbating in the Chechen mountains count as altitude training?

Heavy breathing and beating

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Unimpressed posted:

who is justifying assad's barbarism

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I follow Ramzan Kadyrov on Instagram, it's great if you want to watch a never ending litany of Ramzan and his buddies in tailored matching camouflage track suits firing AKs out of the sunroof of his G-wagen. ANyway I think RT was reporting that there was some kind of ISIS assasination attempt on him. The assassin was easily noticed by one of the numerous heavily armed men just strolling around the streets of Grozny on any given day and subdued.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would very much not want to be someone captured alive in a failed attempt on Kadyrov's life

That said there are a lot of people and factions who would love to see him dead and holy gently caress would it shake up the whole RF as he is very explicitly the devil's bargain Putin made for something akin to peace and stability in chechnya. Like neither word describes the situation, but it's favorable compared to an ongoing Chechen war quagmire generating non-stop war crimes and bad headlines and dead russian soldiers

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 25, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

gh0stpinballa posted:

who is justifying assad's barbarism

No barbarism to justify.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No barbarism to justify.

I think one particular forums poster might disagree with you on that point from personal experience.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No barbarism to justify.

:eyepop:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Rust Martialis posted:

I think one particular forums poster might disagree with you on that point from personal experience.

Mercenary 'journalist' who had a history of fighting for Libyan terrorists uses a terrorist crossing from Turkey and ends up in prison. What needs to be justified?

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Mercenary 'journalist' who had a history of fighting for Libyan terrorists uses a terrorist crossing from Turkey and ends up in prison. What needs to be justified?

Being left to die of starvation in a cold and damp cell is what you call a prison. Really?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No barbarism to justify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xENU7QxTzS0

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Don't engage him. He is likely to respond similar to these comments from that video

quote:

gently caress this false flag bs evil helmets! I hope Syria rescues the children from you and then drops a bomb on the film crews, the evil helmet terrorist and then exports the kids to Russia for adoption where they'll grow up with great education.

quote:

Bit late to be hosing them down when they've already picked up the bodies with their bare hands. This is a totally staged farce. These are the victims from Adra that have brutally been killed by Jaish Al Islam to stage this false flag to blame Assad, to cause western outcry so as the US have reason to bomb Syria and to destroy incriminating evidence of US involvement in supporting terrorism.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Hajotus Maximus posted:

Being left to die of starvation in a cold and damp cell is what you call a prison. Really?

Yes? Have you seen Yank prisons?

Randarkman posted:

Don't engage him.

Her, thanks.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lol if you think prisons in America (which suck) are as bad as what Caro was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes? Have you seen Yank prisons?

Her, thanks.