Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Calaveron posted:

So wishlist for botw2
More outfits. One that decreases stamina usage when running/makes you run faster
Climbing set also lets you freely climb when it’s raining
More weapon types or a combat system with a bit more depth
Boss rush mode
A Hyrule that is slowly being rebuilt so a lot of the ruins are now actual buildings with stuff to do in them
Bigger towns
More spells/runes
More game

Some ideas for BotW2:

- More of a balance issue, but "hearty" foods would no longer fill your hearts to full - gold hearts count as red hearts if you're not already full. This is to give the non-hearty foods more use. Maybe also include a "fullness" mechanic that limits how much you can eat in a short period of time to limit brute-forcing enemies through eating unlimited food.
- A poison element to complement the fire/ice/lightning trio. Poison attacks would be focused on dealing damage over time/debuffing enemies. Perhaps the poison is also flammable, meaning that fire attacks deal extra damage.
- Fist weapons. Perhaps you now have a "fist" attack as a last resort weapon which deals minimal damage and drains stamina instead of breaking. More powerful fist weapons would also be available, but can actually break.
- A "guardian hacking" rune/ability would be interesting; guardians can be converted to your side and used in battle/puzzle solving.
- Maybe also a hookshot item/rune; it'd be cool if you could go full Just Cause and combine the hookshot with the glider.
- Finally, we need a greater amount of enemy variety. Bigger dungeons (along the lines of Hyrule Castle) would be great, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MokBa posted:

This video gave me a couple new "this loving game" moments, which are apparently an infinite resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUiYTNX_Z04

See, I watch a video like that, and all I notice is how all that carnage barely puts a dent in the silver enemies' health, let alone the gold ones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wyvernil posted:

Some ideas for BotW2:

- A "guardian hacking" rune/ability would be interesting; guardians can be converted to your side and used in battle/puzzle solving.

This is a good idea but please god can the game not be centred around Guardians and Shiekah tech.

If they have to be in there make them super rare, like Lynels. Just say they were mostly wiped out after BotW. Maybe have some friendly ones protecting the main settlements and the few remaining malice-corrupted ones in the far corners of the map.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anything that lets me use that laser, I'm all in.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wyvernil posted:

Some ideas for BotW2:

- More of a balance issue, but "hearty" foods would no longer fill your hearts to full - gold hearts count as red hearts if you're not already full. This is to give the non-hearty foods more use. Maybe also include a "fullness" mechanic that limits how much you can eat in a short period of time to limit brute-forcing enemies through eating unlimited food.

I never understand people that try to nerf a single player game or that say a single player mechanic is too strong. Does it bother you that the game is too easy?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Triskelli posted:

I never understand people that try to nerf a single player game or that say a single player mechanic is too strong. Does it bother you that the game is too easy?

The cooking game is partially a lost opportunity though, as it is both fun and cute, but its impact on the overall game lacks some depth. I am pretty sure they'll retain and improve it though, there are some easy fixes (e.g. making hearty less of a trivially best property), and starting out with the systems already to some extent designed I am pretty sure they will integrate a lot of things in more intricate ways (e.g. simply offering more content related to finding and using pre-defined recipes, probably a broader selection of interesting status effects).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The cooking game is partially a lost opportunity though, as it is both fun and cute, but its impact on the overall game lacks some depth. I am pretty sure they'll retain and improve it though, there are some easy fixes (e.g. making hearty less of a trivially best property), and starting out with the systems already to some extent designed I am pretty sure they will integrate a lot of things in more intricate ways (e.g. simply offering more content related to finding and using pre-defined recipes, probably a broader selection of interesting status effects).

An inventory cookbook would've been nice, so you could go to and easily select previously made meals to auto pick the ingredients.

Something other then just slamming together gourmet/prime meats for expensive dishes would've made the selling aspect more fun. Having regional dishes sell for X more in other locations down to local ingredients could make cooking more engaging as a means of cash farming. A cooking skill that improves as you make new dishes and raises the effects and price of cooked items would encourage people to actually make all the various elixirs, risottos, curries, exotic baked pies etc. rather then hoarding the ingredients for any potential sidequest request.

Even as simple as having the effects of a already known recipes listed before you actually cook it. Mix 2 monster parts and 3 stat boosts would tell you Lvl 1 resist with ~7 min duration and mixing and matching each tells you want it effects prior to cook.

Really all the BOTW system was missing was a in-game incentive to experiment and cook different things rather then meat and stat boosts.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The cooking sure was.... half baked.

But after I got over my initial disappointment I let it fade into the background and climbed some more mountains. I do wish you could cook more than one thing at once though.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Calaveron posted:

So wishlist for botw2

botw but with a handful of huge traditional dungeons with locked doors and keys and unique bosses would be A++. That's really all this game felt like it was missing imho.

edit: A dozen new enemy types on the overworld would be very welcome too.

double edit: slightly better performance too please. I played on Wii U which I think is sliiiiightly less powerful than a Switch, but there are a few moments where the system really struggles to keep a good framerate.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 26, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Triskelli posted:

Well, the problem you run into is that if one item/build/strategy is too strong, that item/build/strategy is going to be what most players use, to the detriment of other options-which can then make the game feel one-dimensional, or even punishing to the players who don't use the optimal options. I don't know if anything in Breath of the Wild rises to that level, but it is a legitimate concern. Josh Sawyer actually has a big long post here that goes into balance issues in CRPGs specifically, but a lot of that can be extrapolated to single player games as a whole.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’m very on board with giving players the opportunity to make the game easy for themselves. If someone wants to show up to a Lynel fight with an entire corporate plaza’s worth of food trucks, then that’s perfectly fine with me. Food takes time and resources to prepare, which I think is an adequate trade-off for the ability to make combat easier.

The only thing I don’t like are Hearty and Enduring foods because they are very powerful and very cheap. A single lightly steamed radish completely refills your hearts, making Hearty food the only HP-regenerating food you need. Hearty/Enduring also don’t count as an active effect, so you can have extra hearts, extra stamina, and something else all at the same time, and they last indefinitely on top of that. I’d like to see Hearty/Enduring only let you push past the limit if it would give you enough hearts to push you past that limit, and for it to count as an effect that could be overwritten by applying other buffs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hearty food should have been implemented the way it's done in Binding of Isaac, where the bonus hearts are basically an additional buffer between you and taking damage, without refilling empty containers. But ultimately it's also kind of moot since you can just cook a lot of strong food and chow down on multiple meals at once.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I never cooked any of the more complicated dishes because I never had to. Seems kind of silly that all the strongest dishes are just 1 or 2 kinds of ingredients. The unique ones should've had more interesting effects to make them worthwhile.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MokBa posted:

I never cooked any of the more complicated dishes because I never had to. Seems kind of silly that all the strongest dishes are just 1 or 2 kinds of ingredients. The unique ones should've had more interesting effects to make them worthwhile.

I just cook a shitload of bananas all day every day. :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The simplicity and discoverability of the current cooking system is good. Simple fare made from forage is most of what you cook, and the only reason to cook fancier stuff is just for the hell of it, which suits the themes and is easier to make sense of without explanation. It's just that Hearty is too good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also I want underwater environments. I want to run into windfish sized fuckers while swimming underwater and piss myself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MokBa posted:

I found them really charming and have an inventory full of delicious-sounding foods. So I can't say I need it to have deep effects, as I like it anyway, but more could certainly be done in a sequel.

E.g. the iron chef minigame, feeding the picky dog the right treat, getting the armor piece for completing your recipe book, getting a larger effect from foods because you have the master spatula, and so on.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I found them really charming and have an inventory full of delicious-sounding foods. So I can't say I need it to have deep effects, as I like it anyway, but more could certainly be done in a sequel.

E.g. the iron chef minigame, feeding the picky dog the right treat, getting the armor piece for completing your recipe book, getting a larger effect from foods because you have the master spatula, and so on.

You mean that having a bag full of fried crab skewers and lukewarm durian soup isn't appetizing?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spanish Manlove posted:

a bag full of fried crab skewers

Month old fried crab skewers.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The cooking mechanic was a disappointment for me so improving that would be nice. I'd take
-not having to watch the animation everytime, especially if I've already cooked this meal before
-a cookbook to keep track of recipes
-food having more varied effects
-the more elaborate recipes having much more impressive effects
-it would be neat if some meals didn't even need cooking

As it stands in BotW I almost never cooked anything because it took forever and relied on sleeping/mipha to keep me going (plus I just avoided combat after a while since I wasn't a fan of it). Once you learn the Hearty Food trick, you just bake like 20 and then you are set for a long time

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

it would be neat if some meals didn't even need cooking
These are called apples

Not that I disagree. A recipe book would be good and maybe individual things that have the effects of Durians and Big Hearty Radishes should be super rare and bloom only at midnight or on blood moons or something to make collecting them an event in itself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can skip the animation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

You can skip the animation.

part of it

This is not a major complaint from me, but it would be nice to be able to just do the cooking in the menu for things you've cooked before.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If you don't listen to the cooking jingle every time, you're a monster

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

That's fine until you are cooking every tree in the sword trials individually

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

There’s some really hosed up people out there that skip Hetsu’s dance.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now this is unacceptable

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MokBa posted:

In the new game any time you have yellow hearts no one will talk to you and enemies find you easier because that durian funk just clings to you.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I didn't use cooking at all in normal mode other than for selling for rupees (and for the Fireproof elixir for the first raid into Goron City). 10 minutes into the game it already felt overpowered as gently caress allowing me to reach places I had nowhere near the stamina required for. It just doesn't work with the rest of the mechanics. In Master Mode food becomes a little bit more necessary in the form of Attack foods due to the higher tiered enemies and the regen.

If you cook, you don't need to learn how to block or dodge and can just brute force any fight. Combine this with the fact you can carry infinite amounts of fairies and Mipha's Grace dieing stops being an option.
If you block and dodge you don't need food.
If you cook you don't have to upgrade your stamina wheel. Just keep gobbling down those stamina foods.

A "Full" mechanic would integrate both mechanics better in that you WILL have to learn how to dodge and block, but you'll still have room to screw up. Potions should not affect the "Full" mechanic, but instead they will only provide Heat/Fireproof/Cold/Shock Resistance and Stealth/Speed buff. Food will provide Health/Stamina restore and Attack/Defense/Stamina/Hearty buffs.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 26, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

Now this is unacceptable

Hell I skipped the memories, the world is a gently caress and I just wanna shield surf :getin:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The cooking is just an adaptive difficulty setting in disguise. It almost trivially allows for infinite health and stamina, especially when combined with the ohko protection, giving those who want/need it the ability to continue through the game unimpeded, while those who don't just cook what they feel is necessary. Players will naturally and unconsciously choose their difficulty level by adjusting their cooking habits in response to the feedback offered by the game; more skilled players will feel less need for food and cook less, less skilled players will cook more.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

lezard_valeth posted:

If you cook, you don't need to learn how to block or dodge and can just brute force any fight. Combine this with the fact you can carry infinite amounts of fairies and Mipha's Grace dieing stops being an option.
If you block and dodge you don't need food.
If you cook you don't have to upgrade your stamina wheel. Just keep gobbling down those stamina foods.

If you cook, you cheat not only the game, but yourself.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Calaveron posted:

Also I want underwater environments. I want to run into windfish sized fuckers while swimming underwater and piss myself

This could be incredibly rad to like discover flooded ruins under Lake Hylia or so spelunking into some sea caves on the coasts or poo poo but I just hope they don't do underwater combat if it happens. Underwater combat has never been good in any game ever.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think it's fine that food can compensate for being bad at the game. Fundamentally there are three ways to complete challenges in Breath of the Wild:

• Skill
  • Permanent upgrades: More health and stamina, better equipment
  • Temporary upgrades; spend your best weapons or eat lots of food

and each one can compensate for the others. You can raid Hyrule Castle early if you're careful and skilled, and if you're willing to blow your consumable resources on it. If the game weren't like this, it wouldn't be possible for players who are less good at the game to finish it, and that'd be a shame.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I want to ride flying guardians.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Let Link kiss and date all those people who want to kiss and date him. It is only fair.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to play as a guardian

from Destiny

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

If you cook, you cheat not only the game, but yourself.

Listen, I am not starving myself and my pixelman. One of us should be well fed.

I get why people think the cooking mechanic is a problem but for me I am so into exploring in this game, I like to not have to strategize every fight.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I went back up to the top of the mountain in zoras domain and caved that lynel fucks head in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm upset that shaking your controllers like maracas with Hetsu doesn't do anything. I will still continue to do so for the foreseeable future, however.