Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Epic High Five posted:

as with most arguments against the LTV, there's a lot of reasons why it makes no sense

i read this acronym as liquid television and still agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Bitcoin at $13,000 UP UP UP!!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OhFunny posted:

number!!!!!!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shear Modulus posted:

number!!!!!!!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ruzihm posted:

many make the mudpie argument "against" the ltv because they don't properly understand its assertions, and then they reject it based on that argument.

The mud pie argument:

I can work hard and spend 2 hours mixing and baking a mud pie or equally as hard for 2 hours mixing and baking an apple pie, but the apple pie will command a higher market price, therefore labor done in the production of a product does not correlate with that product's market price.

Of course, this is an invalid argument because the LTV speaks of socially necessary labor for use values not for individually necessary labor for specific products. Secondly, the LTV also speaks to value not market price of a commodity.

Thank you. I figured most of the arguments against were based on misrepresentation of the different forms of value.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

OhFunny posted:

oh my god lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tbh I dont really get why we need a definition of inherent value to get to Marx's ideas about capitalism

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Tbh I dont really get why we need a definition of inherent value to get to Marx's ideas about capitalism

because people have been conditioned to hear marx and think of bread lines, the kgb, and chernobyl and not "a critique of economics that is demonstrably correct"

and you have to chip away at that conditioning somehow

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

Did you mean to write $11,400?

This Bitcoin madness is hilariously dumb.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

OhFunny posted:

lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

redneck nazgul posted:

because people have been conditioned to hear marx and think of bread lines, the kgb, and chernobyl and not "a critique of economics that is demonstrably correct"

and you have to chip away at that conditioning somehow

Oh I get that much, its just the specific "value has inherent meaning" that I dont get. With what marx actually said about LTV I don't see how you need that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Probably thinks Iago is the parrot from Aladdin.

Chomsky with Gottfried's voice :dudsmile:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

imagine four bits on the edge of a fiscal cliff

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Ruzihm posted:

many make the mudpie argument "against" the ltv because they don't properly understand its assertions, and then they reject it based on that argument.

The mud pie argument:

I can work hard and spend 2 hours mixing and baking a mud pie or equally as hard for 2 hours mixing and baking an apple pie, but the apple pie will command a higher market price, therefore labor done in the production of a product does not correlate with that product's market price.

Of course, this is an invalid argument because the LTV speaks of socially necessary labor for use values not for individually necessary labor for specific products. Secondly, the LTV also speaks to value not market price of a commodity.

that seems a weird line to take, since you can just say "why would you hire somebody to make mud pies instead of apple pies if you got paid more for selling apple pies and they cost the same to make?"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the future of currency

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just place buy orders at 3000 and reap the free money, its a hands off scam

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
v for vendetta scene "you can't kill an idea" except its pans to bitcoin crashing and nerds pouring all their income into it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soviet Space Dog posted:

that seems a weird line to take, since you can just say "why would you hire somebody to make mud pies instead of apple pies if you got paid more for selling apple pies and they cost the same to make?"

It's supposed to be some gotcha about how labor doesn't matter in terms of final price. Another version of it is "it takes X amount of labor to get a diamond but it takes 2X labor to get something that sells for a fraction of what a diamond sells for therefore the amount of labor you put in doesn't correlate to the price!"

Ignoring the De Beers monopoly for a moment, it's just another confusion based on market price vs value.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/AlertTrade/status/1143997892236959745

its like we are redoing bitcoin 2012 - 2018 within a couple of weeks

poty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 26, 2019

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I think about how many people got absolutely wrecked by this drop today and are debating how to tell the wife and kids that the family is now broke and they have to sell the house and move because daddy hosed up his margins and I'm just loving smiling and can't stop. gently caress crypto and everyone involved in it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Source4Leko posted:

I think about how many people got absolutely wrecked by this drop today and are debating how to tell the wife and kids that the family is now broke and they have to sell the house and move because daddy hosed up his margins and I'm just loving smiling and can't stop. gently caress crypto and everyone involved in it.

This. Pos turned the econ club on my campus into the bitcoin club. Know he had over twenty k invested in it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.change.org/p/joe-rogan-experience-to-get-dr-richard-wolff-on-the-joe-rogan-podcast

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Source4Leko posted:

Quick! To /r/Buttcoin! Glory awaits!

edit:

DYING FOR TRUMP'S CRYPTO PROFITS!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 26, 2019

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

yeah i dont think you need lvt at all for the marxist critque to work, the fact that you can't accurately evaluate labor's exchange value until the labor is actually done is sufficient

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I always laugh at the people who point to people like Rogan and Mahr who purport to be a place to hear all ideas because nobody who sincerely believes this can name a single Marxist of any stripe - much less a scholar - that was brought onto the show.

the inviolable rule of all media apparently is that the political spectrum is centrists on the left, and hardcore nazis on the right

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I always laugh at the people who point to people like Rogan and Mahr who purport to be a place to hear all ideas because nobody who sincerely believes this can name a single Marxist of any stripe - much less a scholar - that was brought onto the show.

the inviolable rule of all media apparently is that the political spectrum is centrists on the left, and hardcore nazis on the right

"there's no market for left wing voices!" i continue to insist as a lovely podcast of five slobs living in a single apartment pulls down like a million a year

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

"there's no market for left wing voices!" i continue to insist as a lovely podcast of five slobs living in a single apartment pulls down like a million a year

yeah lol, legacy media outlets are shifting right to cater more exclusively to crusty old chuds and young people are bailing on them as a result, but just like with the NRA and Harley it's not the system that's to blame, noooooo it's those UNGRATEFUL little AVOCADO EATERS who should pay to consume media that excludes and blames them for everything!

nevermind that I and a lot of leftists I know probably pay more per month for news feeds than chuds do, barring cable, it's just podcasts and pamplhets and periodicals and poo poo instead of a newspaper with a billionaire patron so it doesn't count

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
95% of media in the USA is controlled by about 3-4 conglomerates and basically lol if you think they are down to educate people in a manner that hurts the bottom line or that raises class consciousness. It's not a matter of no market, that's just a line.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the people in charge making the editorial decisions know what theyre doing and know theyre leaving money on the table to reinforce their hegemony (take for example msnbc hiring tons of chuds whose shows hemorrhage cash while maddow, who sucks but is probably left-most person on cable news TV (lol) gets absurd viewership numbers).

but our country's dipshit incurious elite journalist class seem to buy their bosses' bullshit excuse about how theres no market. just like how they buy the bullshit of there being no money in media to pay journalists, while those same bosses proudly tell wall street of how they're making money hand over fist

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
News media isn't even "business" as we understand it, it's a vanity project.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maddow is rather unusual in her ability to express important left topics within the constraints of TV infotainment, where every sentence is required to go off like a firework. That's starting from some dubious assumptions but eh what can you do

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Epic High Five posted:

Richard D. Wolff was on Maher's show in 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-6nrAnDGyU

I agree with you and just felt like being :actually: guy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

number go up!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cactus Jack posted:

Richard D. Wolff was on Maher's show in 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-6nrAnDGyU

I agree with you and just felt like being :actually: guy.

*adjusts hat very puppetmasterishly*

haha sir, I think you'll find, it is YOU who are owned, for you fell into my trap of debasing your karmic self by searching for a Bill Mahr video

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremely healthy economy

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/AlertTrade/status/1143997892236959745

its like we are redoing bitcoin 2012 - 2018 within a couple of weeks

Awesome Grifts Done Quick

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Probably a bad idea to invest in a instrument used mostly for buying drugs and for laundering organized crime money

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Probably a bad idea to invest in a instrument used mostly for buying drugs and for laundering organized crime money

but enough about usd :smuggo:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kitfox88 posted:

but enough about usd :smuggo:

the term is banking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

number go up!

Recently there were some Kaiser shrinks talking about striking because they didn’t have enough staff to handle all the suicidal pre-teens and a part of me died inside hearing that. DTA.