Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

i like tacos posted:

What's a good casual game? Even idlers nowadays have crazy mechanics/gacha/events so I can't even tell what's good anymore from just browsing.

I've been playing AFK Arena (which is usually check once or twice a day to do the quick daily stuff) and Almost a Hero (idle game with some active farming if you want, but you get tools to be even lazier). Neither one has all the tons of dailies/events/etc that burn me out too.

AFK arena's event is hilarious, though. Basically involves gifting cornucopias to people, which leads to a lot of "plz give corn" spams in chat. The actual corn giving gives you the event currency, the getting of corn is just for a meaningless player icon banner.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Android Gaming: plz give corn

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm playing on a Pixel XL with 4GB RAM.

It's frustrating that you can't quit at just about any time like most mobile games. It's going to require more forethought about when I pick up to play so I can make sure I have time to complete a day.

I'm glad I didn't grind away to earn the tokens during the fair.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

me your dad posted:

I'm playing on a Pixel XL with 4GB RAM.

It's frustrating that you can't quit at just about any time like most mobile games. It's going to require more forethought about when I pick up to play so I can make sure I have time to complete a day.

I'm glad I didn't grind away to earn the tokens during the fair.

My point was that, normally (especially with your specs), you should be able to quit and restart whenever. I think maybe because you were doing it on a day during an event, that might've had some sort of effect on it? Do a test; take a normal day, do a bunch of farming until maybe around noon (or even just until 9am), and then hit your phone's home button. Go read something else, maybe even swipe SV away, and then go to play it again. It should give you the option to go back to the latest quicksave, which the game creates automatically.

More often than not, I'm booting up the game with it asking me if I want to continue from where I left off, and I do that. It's very rare where I'm trying to get to the end of a day before putting my phone away. Sorry if that wasn't clear with my previous post.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised at how versatile this game is, with regards to stuff like this.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My go to games are always Hoplite and Buriedbornes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have definitely had a few times where for some reason the game state wasn't saved but most of the time it will prompt "Would you like to continue where you last played?" when you go to load the game and it'll go right at that point. It was my biggest reason for not picking this version up sooner, I didn't want to have to do the run back to bed to save thing when on a phone I'd almost never be able to do it. Once someone said they changed it for mobile to do quicksaves I picked it up and really do love the mobile version now.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

tater_salad posted:

Adventure capitalist use to be good no clue if they've broken it.

Idle oil tycoon is a+

I like resources.. it's gps and idle as well kind of fun if you're into that kind of thing.

I've played Adventure Capitalist and Idle Oil Tycoon to death. I can't even load my save file for idle oil tycoon because it instantly crashes. I think I basically hit the max in that game.

Dragongem posted:

I've been playing AFK Arena (which is usually check once or twice a day to do the quick daily stuff) and Almost a Hero (idle game with some active farming if you want, but you get tools to be even lazier). Neither one has all the tons of dailies/events/etc that burn me out too.

AFK arena's event is hilarious, though. Basically involves gifting cornucopias to people, which leads to a lot of "plz give corn" spams in chat. The actual corn giving gives you the event currency, the getting of corn is just for a meaningless player icon banner.

My coworker told me to avoid afk arena but I guess I can give it a try. I'll try almost a hero as well

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

explosivo posted:

I have definitely had a few times where for some reason the game state wasn't saved but most of the time it will prompt "Would you like to continue where you last played?" when you go to load the game and it'll go right at that point. It was my biggest reason for not picking this version up sooner, I didn't want to have to do the run back to bed to save thing when on a phone I'd almost never be able to do it. Once someone said they changed it for mobile to do quicksaves I picked it up and really do love the mobile version now.

Oh I had no idea there was quick saves as well. I've been avoiding the mobile version for that same reason. I'll pick this up as well since I love the PC version

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My point was that, normally (especially with your specs), you should be able to quit and restart whenever. I think maybe because you were doing it on a day during an event, that might've had some sort of effect on it?
That's exactly what it is. My wife plays the PC version, and the festivals are their own weird thing with different code. A normal day consists of time passing, and you do actions within that timespan, then sleep to save.

The festivals are like one, day long action and if you quit halfway you have to do it again from the start. Most people use this to cheese the harvest festival because there's a chance of getting some really rare seeds from the roulette table, so people just reset if they don't get them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's exactly what it is. My wife plays the PC version, and the festivals are their own weird thing with different code. A normal day consists of time passing, and you do actions within that timespan, then sleep to save.

The festivals are like one, day long action and if you quit halfway you have to do it again from the start. Most people use this to cheese the harvest festival because there's a chance of getting some really rare seeds from the roulette table, so people just reset if they don't get them.

Ohhh, maybe *I* misunderstood, because I didn't think the other goon might've been quitting during the festival event.

Yeah, don't do that in any version, unless you want to redo everything so far.

Speaking of which, I'm near the end of year 3, just got my ancient seed, make approx 15-20k per day in pig truffles, and am turning into a nicer Scrooge; I don't hate people, but I'm skipping every single event this year because MONEEEEEY.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Dragongem posted:

Can you confirm if you gain 100 levels by helping an old man who slipped on a banana?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

i like tacos posted:

Oh I had no idea there was quick saves as well. I've been avoiding the mobile version for that same reason. I'll pick this up as well since I love the PC version

It is less of a quicksave than it is an autosave, like if you change apps and it closes in the background it'll prompt you to continue where it shut off last time so yeah you don't need to worry about being absolutely sure to run back home to save before you stop playing. You can just close the app or hit the home button and it'll restore your session. Pretty neat! Some of the touchscreen stuff is wonky at times but for the most part it's a great port and an awesome game to have on the go.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
help I ran out of content in Stardew Valley and I need an update asap

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

help I ran out of content in Stardew Valley and I need an update asap

There are two harvest moons on the app store. What I really want is a rune factory game for the app store.

Edit: My 3ds was basically just a device to play rune factory after I couldn't handle the hand stress of monster hunter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a goon afk guild? I'm giving it a shot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If you stop getting surveys check that your postcode and other details are correct. Mine was mistyped and I didn't get any for months until I corrected it. (I'd initially thought that my phone was getting too old for the app to work)

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tsietisin posted:

Can you confirm if you gain 100 levels by helping an old man who slipped on a banana?

I have no idea what you're referring to, unfortunately

i like tacos posted:

My coworker told me to avoid afk arena but I guess I can give it a try. I'll try almost a hero as well

It's got some really dumb things (the gacha is really annoying), but I've enjoyed it. I spent $1 on it and I've made what I feel like a fairly good clip of progress on basically checking it like 3 times a day just to collect the loot.

I like the art style a lot, too.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 26, 2019

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Dragongem posted:

I have no idea what you're referring to, unfortunately

It's an ad for AFK Arena that's constantly showing up. An old guy slips on a banana and behind him is a wanted poster for him so you get to choose whether to capture him for money or help him up for 100 level ups

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
AFK Arena ads are straight up lies sometimes. I just stopped playing it because it was tapping into that part of me that wastes money very easily.

Plus the events are setup so you can't get some rewards unless you spend $$$$ daily.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah Google must have heard me talking about them, because I just got my first survey in almost a year.

I did go in a double check some stuff since I got a new phone, buy we'll see.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DontMindMe posted:

Plus the events are setup so you can't get some rewards unless you spend $$$$ daily.

So on par with probably a good third of the mobile game market, then. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DontMindMe posted:

AFK Arena ads are straight up lies sometimes. I just stopped playing it because it was tapping into that part of me that wastes money very easily.

I have never seen an Idler 'game' whose ads were anything other than99% bullshit since the actual game is boring as hell to watch and navigate since it's just timers and cash grabs.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 26, 2019

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh, THOSE ads. I thought you were referring to some secret in Almost a Hero. Yeah, they're really dumb. I don't remember seeing that particular one.

DontMindMe posted:

I do agree that if you're someone who will randomly drop money on a game at various points, don't do it for this one. So if that is one of your vices... don't play it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'm tempted to drop a couple bucks on AFK Arena to get one very efficient bundle and then no more. I'm really enjoying it at the moment, but I think that's mostly to do with its graphic design and art direction.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 26, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
gently caress mobile games that have misleading ads.

Related:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nz9z5g/why-mobile-game-ads-look-nothing-like-the-game

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have never seen an Idler 'game' whose ads were anything other than99% bullshit since the actual game is boring as hell to watch and navigate since it's just timers and cash grabs.

I played AFK Arena for quite a while and while the ads are bullshit, there is something to the actual gameplay. The "AFK" part doesn't really strike a chord for me because all you can get while idle are resources and gear. You have to actually play the game to advance. There are some game styles that require tactics and strategy, and team synergy and formation is huge if you want to advance. But yeah, I had to drop it because $.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Yeah I didnt mind the gameplay itself since it kind of turned into a puzzle (although, depending on characters, a RNG puzzle), but the $$ stuff ruins it

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Re: stardew valley. Is there any issue with ignoring the town for a while and just farming? I feel like it's such a slog to get to town and there's soooo much to do in the farm. Will I miss something or will it always be there?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

Re: stardew valley. Is there any issue with ignoring the town for a while and just farming? I feel like it's such a slog to get to town and there's soooo much to do in the farm. Will I miss something or will it always be there?

It will always be there. Take it at your own pace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kris xK posted:

It will always be there. Take it at your own pace.

Yeah, for better or for worse, any event you miss will be repeated every year. It truly is a game where you go at exactly your own pace.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Some things are seasonal and routines of the villagers change depending on season but you should be able to do what you want. There's always next year.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What year does the game end? I thought it had an end or like after certain points you lost the ability to do things. Like doesn't some lady's husband show up so you gotta wife her right away? (I'm sorry if I'm super wrong about this)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Your farm is rated at the end of 2 years but you can have it rated again any time after that and there's no gameplay effect. The woman whose husband shows up in year 2 is already married so you can't marry or date her regardless. The only world changes are to add new areas as time goes on, nothing ever goes away.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There is no end.

:getin:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So to close on my Groundhog's Day experience...

This evening I started my game to finally get past the fair day. The game started with me getting out of bed. What do I do? I accidentally click the bed again, then fat finger the confirmation and I slept through the fair :doh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

me your dad posted:

So to close on my Groundhog's Day experience...

This evening I started my game to finally get past the fair day. The game started with me getting out of bed. What do I do? I accidentally click the bed again, then fat finger the confirmation and I slept through the fair :doh:

Gonna have to wait until next year. In the meantime, I strongly recommend building a deluxe barn and getting pigs. It'll be expensive, but will soon pay itself off. At this point, my ~10 happy pigs are providing me with something like $20k each day. I previously said it was 15-20k, but since playing yesterday and tracking it, it hasn't gone below 20k. Happy pigs dig up higher-quality truffles.

Don't forget to always buy a silo before cutting a major amount of your grass! The reasoning is that, once you have a silo, cut grass has a high chance of becoming hay, which is automatically stored in the silo, instead of your inventory. If you get an autofeeder, you don't even need to think about feeding your animals, you'd just need to make sure there's enough hay in the silo.

Also, and I don't think this is explicitly stated anywhere in-game, the silo does NOT need to be next to anything to function properly, so place it/them anywhere.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I've got a ton of hours logged on the PC version and I always build a silo first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I've got a ton of hours logged on the PC version and I always build a silo first.

I know I said to build one, but you might quickly need two, depending on how many animals you'll have by winter. I know Marnie sells hay, if you're in a pinch, but planting a bunch of grass starter is definitely the way to go.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
AFK Arena first free pull gave me the Elite Vampire. Not sure if that is normal or not but nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Does plant watering ever get easier?