Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I'm a bit behind on the news, what was the US evidence other than "please let us kill some more Muslims"

the security tape footage of the boat doing stuff next to a bigger boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I'm a bit behind on the news, what was the US evidence other than "please let us kill some more Muslims"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StashAugustine posted:

a certain former moderator wrote about it in the new york times if you want to know what really happened: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846193&pagenumber=126&perpage=40#post495934202

bonus from the comments:

quote:

Andy
Salt Lake City, UtahJune 14
Times Pick
Actually, I haven't seen anything that convinces me the Iranians are there at all. The linked article references Ashoura-class and Zolfaqar-class speedboats. There's no mention of a Gashti-class or model. The only image resembling the boat pictured is linked to a dead video stream. Perhaps Gashti is a sub-type of Ashoura? We have no idea.

Either way, both patrol boats aren't exactly maritime archetypes. They're pretty generic speedboat designs adapted in specifically Iranian ways. If you can manufacture any fiberglass powerboat, you can probably knock together something that looks like the boat in the picture.

Assuming all the Iranian speedboats are even accounted for. I don't see any VIN markings on the allegedly Iranian vessel either. The US equivalent: Are we talking about the USS Cole or the USS McCain? That should be a pretty easy question to answer. Especially when you have image enough to spot a supposed limpet mine.

That's assuming the images are real at all. The special effects crew from "Enemy of the State" put together better work back in 1998.

Nope. Not buying it. I'm just as convinced US or Saudi impostors were trying to remove a mine they knew would reveal their espionage. There's absolutely no reason right now to believe one account anymore than the other. Actually, based on recent events, you can discount US and Saudi credibility quite substantially.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

snoremac posted:

I hope they cover Pizarro vs. Atahualpa in the Incan episode because I read about it recently and it's loving nuts.

I'm glad they're doing early contact/pre-contact history because it's really cool & interesting.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

carl zha got banned from twitter because insane people think hes a PLA propaganda pro-genocide account lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

yeah happened to him earlier this year too, carl pisses off a lot of the lister/katerji/weiss regime change psychos and they mass report him every couple months. petty authoritarians

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wish China would invade just to see them get flushed down a toilet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I disagree with some of his stuff regarding China but I follow him and find him a really cool and informative source so gently caress the twitter staff.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Banned on weibo and Twitter. He’s a dangerous man.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

THS posted:

carl zha got banned from twitter because insane people think hes a PLA propaganda pro-genocide account lol

You didn't say "red menace" or "yellow peril" in at least 3 tweets during the last week, clearly you're in on the conspiracy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They unbanned him

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like Carl Zha and when he talks about history I'm like the second Drake meme picture but when I see the weird anime pics I'm like the first Drake meme picture.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Syricide/status/1143113926630084613

it eats these fuckers up alive that Carl Zha is out there living his best life while they fantasize about a war over Taiwan

pangstrom posted:

I like Carl Zha and when he talks about history I'm like the second Drake meme picture but when I see the weird anime pics I'm like the first Drake meme picture.

anime is an indispensable element of global culture and you have to live with it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Carl just posts vids of him dancing on chinese nightclubs now anyway

THS
Sep 15, 2017

everyone is too horny for carl zha and its driving the neocons insane

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Carl Zha's profile wouldn't be half as big as it is (and it's not very big) if it weren't for these freaks being obsessed with shutting him up.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Carl Zha's profile wouldn't be half as big as it is (and it's not very big) if it weren't for his fly dance moves and animal magnetism

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

anime is an indispensable element of global culture and you have to live with it
Nooo!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the best part is when he shares the anime pics with john dolan lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's true. Carl Zha is the world's only cool engineer. Like a real unicorn.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

when carl got choked up on that ep where he discussed the japanese invasion of china 😢

glad he is back

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
carl is real and is my friend

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the virgin think tank twitter warrior vs the chad carl zha

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dreylad posted:

the virgin think tank twitter warrior vs the chad carl zha

https://twitter.com/qin_duke/status/1143285117550510081

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’m reading John’s novel/autobiography about his early years Pleasant Hell.

After getting fired from his job, John stays in his hot room for weeks on end picking at foot scabs and squeezing out pus until he has sores leading almost up to his torso and searing pain when he walks. He gets a phone call from a girl who wants to hang out. He hasn’t showered and can’t shower because of the sores, so he smears his whole body in Vick’s to hide the smell. He rips apart a towel and wraps it around the sores to make walking manageable, and then he drives off wincing in pain whenever he presses down on the brakes or accelerator as the Vick’s starts to liquify. This is the point I’m at.

I just fear how much of this actually happened.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s a great book

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pleasant Hell is insanely funny.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

we have a new episode fellas

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

haven't listened yet but going by episode description i imagine michael weiss is going to get dragged again hehe

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Finished Pleasant Hill. John was like a fully self-aware Ignatius Reilly, the poor guy.

It’s a very good read, though for pure comedic chops I think his earlier Brecher stuff when he’s in character is funnier. Obviously he didn’t have all the misery to contend with in that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If you impulse buy a civil war era 2lb cannon on the other side of the country and end up becoming part of the online "cannon community", I'd say you've earned a guest spot on RWN.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nothus posted:

If you impulse buy a civil war era 2lb cannon on the other side of the country and end up becoming part of the online "cannon community", I'd say you've earned a guest spot on RWN.

what was thet drug that had goons buying grand pianos and not remembering

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

soviet developed phenazepam

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3204587&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Classic

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

carl is real and is my friend

My wife is Chinese and I’m really sick of the general western sinophobia these days so I wrote to Carl and told him I supported him and started supporting him on Patreon. He wrote a very nice reply and he’s great. The fact that my twitter feed is 99% pictures of food from some tiny rear end town in China these days is just a bonus. And all these fat bald dipshit “experts” hating him when he’s out there surfing and dancing every single day is wonderful and hilarious.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The cannon interview made me think I was listening to E1 during a couple moments.

Getting drunk and trading a couple of revolvers for a cannon is a real life Branson bit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Radio War Nerd EP #187 — Climate Change & Wars, with Christian Parenti

Guest: Christian Parenti, author, journalist, academic

Recorded: June 25, 2019

With one of India's largest cities running out of water & record heatwaves torching Europe, the War Nerd talks to Christian Parenti about climate change and wars, and his remarkable book "Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence".

:stare:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

yeah i was shocked at my own naivete wrt syria, once i started properly reading up about it around 2016

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

An interesting audio reversal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

increasing numbers of climate wars and our lovely governments devising ever more horrible deaths for climate refugees are the things about the future i am most afraid of