Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TehKeen posted:

Wait, you can buy foreign aircraft??

Yep. I forget the exact instructions to do this but you have to pull up the spreadsheet of foreign aircraft and right-click, then select “buy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you hit compare role don't select heavy bomber becasue those aren't actually in the game and probably never will be (unless they're releated to SSM tech) and then right click on an aircraft from your allies

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2019

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Yup

on an unrelated note, anybody happen to know the savegame folder?

It defaults to C:\NWS\Rule the Waves 2\Save.

Gay Hitler posted:

Can anyone help me understand rebuilds? What happens in a rebuild when you arent replacing machinery or guns or fire control that takes 3-4 months? Should I do that more regularly? Do I need to rebuild guns to get turrets or ammo improvements?

How often do you replace machinery? Do you usually just throw all your new excess tonnage for more speed?

At what point do you start scrapping ships?

IIRC you need a rebuild (a "blank" rebuild is enough) to get the benefit of techs like Improved Triple Turrets. You don't need to do anything to benefit from improvements to shells or torpedoes.

It's usually not efficient to perform a major rebuild (replacing machinery or main guns). You'll get more out of spending that money on a new ship. Treaties are the big exception.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

It defaults to C:\NWS\Rule the Waves 2\Save.

Thanks.

Hilariously, I have this installed to my SSD. I probably could get away with installing it on my 5400rpm archive drive.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Since the rebate for RtW1 buyers expires at the end of June, I went ahead and bought this. Now it's time to bring the Austro-Hungarian Empire to naval glory!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I feel like treaties don't do enough to lower tension. They usually don't appear as options until tensions are high, and if they do occur, tensions still remain high that I'm usually at war soon after the treaty takes effect, which then nullifies the treaty. So a bunch of under-construction ships get scrapped but there's not enough time to play around the treaty restrictions.

Jan 2, 2014

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Oh cool, I'm really enjoying this game right now. Just super happy warm feelings.

I've tried playing Russians and I just cannot do it. I don't know if it's because of the Russian genetic stupidity modifier in game or because I'm personally a big loving idiot, but I keep losing every single fight. I engage the enemy fleet with supposedly superior or at worst equal ships and I just never hit anything before half my fleet is sinking. And then you get these cool battles where my BC squadron starts inside the enemy fleet and then they all die during the first minute. loving hell.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Obfuscation posted:

Oh cool, I'm really enjoying this game right now. Just super happy warm feelings.

I've tried playing Russians and I just cannot do it. I don't know if it's because of the Russian genetic stupidity modifier in game or because I'm personally a big loving idiot, but I keep losing every single fight. I engage the enemy fleet with supposedly superior or at worst equal ships and I just never hit anything before half my fleet is sinking. And then you get these cool battles where my BC squadron starts inside the enemy fleet and then they all die during the first minute. loving hell.

Are you being killed by torpedoes, mostly?

That might indicate you need to keep your distance more with your big ships.

Anyone know how to get the range indicators to work? I click the button and nothing happens.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Thee green one won't show anything until you have radar researched AND it will only work with ships equipped with radar. As for the others, those are gun ranges.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

I've tried playing Russians and I just cannot do it. I don't know if it's because of the Russian genetic stupidity modifier in game or because I'm personally a big loving idiot, but I keep losing every single fight. I engage the enemy fleet with supposedly superior or at worst equal ships and I just never hit anything before half my fleet is sinking.

So basically Tsushima? The game is just being historically accurate, try being Japan :sun:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gort posted:

Anyone know how to get the range indicators to work? I click the button and nothing happens.

Which range indicators do you mean?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I presume the ones that show up when you're paused but not when it's running continuously?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Gort posted:

I think my problem is that I’m used to playing on small/medium fleet size setting and this was on large, and I just wasn’t building enough ships

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

6 to 7 in capital ships, with a pair of CVLs is actually pretty even. Numbers may not be your problem.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Russian ships only count for 70% when it comes to calculating blockades in Northern Europe, so if you're fighting Germany you need to plan for having either a ludicrous amount of tonnage or starving them out. I've been doing the latter, using about a dozen CLs to raid them and it takes about 1-2 years for them to collapse, but you have to really watch your own unrest.

As far as why you're losing BB fights, it could be a lot of things. Try to get their fleet to split up and then focus fire on smaller elements. Also they like to use the line ahead formation a lot, if you cross their T you can usually get some big hits on their lead ship before breaking away, and it helps to try to get enemy guns out of the picture before moving closer. And once you get better destroyers with decent torpedoes, sometimes it's not a bad idea to kamikaze into their BB lines and try to get some torpedo hits, but only if you think your DDs can actually get to them without dying first.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
That specific battle would have been even if my BCs hadn't died instantly, yeah. Germany had more BBs than me overall and that was an issue in a lot of the earlier fights.

By the way, does anyone know why in RtW 1 you were able to separately command the BC scouting fleet even in Admiral's mode after researching the appropriate tech but in RtW 2 you can't?

Jan 2, 2014
When you play on smaller fleet sizes, you tend to get into habits that don't work in bigger games like mothballing your fleet between wars and not upgrading it too much. Having good crews and up-to-date fire control really makes a difference in gun duels. So keep your better ships in active status and keep refitting the FC on all battleships with guns big enough to still hurt enemy ships ASAP. It costs very little. Then build your ships just a bit more expensive and killy than you otherwise would. I'm having fun for the first time playing with very large fleets and it's because I've let go of the micro mentality of trying to squeeze the maximum value out of every hull and design and just giving the new stuff that extra inch of caliber and armor, that extra barrel for the main battery and that extra knot of speed so my dumb AI minions can actually make it back home when they inevitably decide to go knife fight that entire enemy battlefleet with their sole battlecruiser.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

People play on the smaller fleet sizes? Weird. Also yeah Russia seems to just be worse at fighting than the other euro powers. Pre CV era I get losses or draws in fights I'd wipe the enemy in rtw1.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes battlecruisers just get ambushed, it's a problem and a historical one. Sometimes I give them core orders on my main force just to get them to disengage from whatever stupid fight they've gotten themselves into.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I play on medium fleet size. Large and very large is just super busy to me. Having to send things on foreign station, keeping up with buildings ships and keeping things up to date, way to much to manage for me. It's not a complaint about the game, it's all on me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dunno-Lars posted:

I play on medium fleet size. Large and very large is just super busy to me. Having to send things on foreign station, keeping up with buildings ships and keeping things up to date, way to much to manage for me. It's not a complaint about the game, it's all on me.

Do you not have to put things on foreign station, keep up with building ships and keeping things up to date on medium fleet size?

You basically described 70% of the game right there.

Jan 2, 2014
Has anyone had success with floatplanes? While I like them as an idea, I find it really hard to pick a place to stuff them. Having a dumb single purpose AV hanging around is a big no-no for me. So I ended up building a fleet scout CL with a 3x3 6" battery, 3.5" belt, 100 mines, 2x4 torps and 4 floatplanes. But it's a bit of an unhappy compromise under the 10kton limit. It's not really killy enough to sink other CL's , it's too slow to run from CA's that the AI likes to build and it's on the verge of being not expendable anymore. It's great utility and good value for a few of them but the minister dared me to build like 9 of them when 5 would have been plenty and I'm an idiot and didn't tell him to piss off. Those cruisers could have been a capital ship instead.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I played RTW1 but I seem to have got even worse at this game and haven't even got to aircraft yet.

Is there some trick to getting gains in wars? I just had 3 back to back wars where I had a 2x VP lead and pressed for hard terms every time, and got only minor concessions each time. I chalked this up to bad luck (and historical accuracy, since my frustration led me into a disastrous 4th war where I lost my whole BC fleet... but that also concluded with status quo despite being 20k points behind) but I noticed there was a naval invasion function now, so maybe it's harder now to get territories without manually invading them?

I was wondering if there was a guide around anywhere on how to manage AI orders effectively. I had the most frustrating battle where my flagship was an old, crappy predreadnought, and I retreated when an enemy BB appeared, but my AI BC just sailed right into the enemy line and blew up instantly. Also, the universal bad admiral problem of how to launch torpedo attacks (I keep noticing that when my battle line is in pursuit of the enemy, my destroyers always follow behind the capital ships, and as a result accomplish nothing while my own battleships eat torpedoes from the trailing enemy DDs).

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Gort posted:

Do you not have to put things on foreign station, keep up with building ships and keeping things up to date on medium fleet size?

You basically described 70% of the game right there.

Of course, but on a much smaller scale.
Edit: Removed something that came out as snarky, not my intention to be rude.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

817 posted:

Has anyone had success with floatplanes? While I like them as an idea, I find it really hard to pick a place to stuff them. Having a dumb single purpose AV hanging around is a big no-no for me. So I ended up building a fleet scout CL with a 3x3 6" battery, 3.5" belt, 100 mines, 2x4 torps and 4 floatplanes. But it's a bit of an unhappy compromise under the 10kton limit. It's not really killy enough to sink other CL's , it's too slow to run from CA's that the AI likes to build and it's on the verge of being not expendable anymore. It's great utility and good value for a few of them but the minister dared me to build like 9 of them when 5 would have been plenty and I'm an idiot and didn't tell him to piss off. Those cruisers could have been a capital ship instead.

Historically floatplanes tended to be put on CAs and BBs, as scouts and artillery spotters. And of course Japan put them on everything, from the relatively sensible Tone-class CA carrying four, to the rather unsuccessful aviation battleships and utterly ridiculous aviation submarines.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I've had some success building dedicated fast AA CAs with heavy secondaries full of DPs and a couple floatplanes, if I keep them in the same region as my CVs/BBs/BCs then usually at least one of the heavier ships will show up for the same fight.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Also, the universal bad admiral problem of how to launch torpedo attacks (I keep noticing that when my battle line is in pursuit of the enemy, my destroyers always follow behind the capital ships, and as a result accomplish nothing while my own battleships eat torpedoes from the trailing enemy DDs).

I've been frustrated at this as well and I think I've figured it out. It looks like there are a lot of different factors that go in to deciding when a ship fires its torpedoes and it seems to be based mostly on the chance to hit the target rather than the tactical situation. Which is why DDs go absolutely crazy when an enemy ship stops or slows to a crawl, because that hit chance is almost 100%.

Early torpedoes were very slow and short range. Even if you have the enemy in range when you fire, the torpedo still needs to intercept them and have the range to get to that point, so for most of the first half of the game you have to get right up in their faces to even be capable of hitting the target. This is also why DDs you are chasing have a much easier time shooting torpedoes at you, and your DDs in pursuit will never fire any unless you get super close (and likely sacrificing your DDs).

There also seems to be a delay when it comes to calculating a good firing solution, I think I read that in the manual or on the forums. If you have the extra torpedo training doctrine it should cut the time down as well as improving the overall accuracy of the solution, thereby increasing the chance to actually go for it and fire.

I'm starting to think it's a good thing when your DDs stay behind your capital ships, they survive a lot longer and can become very useful later on when the enemy ships are scattered, out of ammo, damaged and slow, etc. Also if your capital ships are damaged and too slow to escape, DDs are amazing at covering your retreat. Let them chase after you and then click the flotilla attack button and manually send a decent group of DDs straight into them at max speed. They will pull away and shoot your DDs to death but you can probably get some torpedo hits before they go down, damaging/sinking some of them but also letting your capital ships escape their artillery range.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Since today is the last day of the RTW1 discount rebate, how much of the launch woes have they fixed the last month? Both in terms of ingame bug and Dean missing emails? Is the game worth buying now or am I better off playing something else until Ultimate Admiral comes out?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

817 posted:

I put one or two floatplanes on most things bigger than ~5000 tons. I've also used a sort of hybrid AV/CLAA which seemed useful, it could scout and due to being an AV it was always with the bigger ships instead of on solo convoy raids.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Since today is the last day of the RTW1 discount rebate, how much of the launch woes have they fixed the last month? Both in terms of ingame bug and Dean missing emails? Is the game worth buying now or am I better off playing something else until Ultimate Admiral comes out?

They have fixed bugs but there are still some that cause annoying error popups. Air unit management in general is not very smooth but they do work reasonably well in battles when you figure out the ui. I think it’s already a good game but it does still need bug fixes and polish, and since they have been releasing patches regularly I’m pretty confident that most issues will get fixed eventually.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I played RTW1 but I seem to have got even worse at this game and haven't even got to aircraft yet.

Is there some trick to getting gains in wars? I just had 3 back to back wars where I had a 2x VP lead and pressed for hard terms every time, and got only minor concessions each time. I chalked this up to bad luck (and historical accuracy, since my frustration led me into a disastrous 4th war where I lost my whole BC fleet... but that also concluded with status quo despite being 20k points behind) but I noticed there was a naval invasion function now, so maybe it's harder now to get territories without manually invading them?

I was wondering if there was a guide around anywhere on how to manage AI orders effectively. I had the most frustrating battle where my flagship was an old, crappy predreadnought, and I retreated when an enemy BB appeared, but my AI BC just sailed right into the enemy line and blew up instantly. Also, the universal bad admiral problem of how to launch torpedo attacks (I keep noticing that when my battle line is in pursuit of the enemy, my destroyers always follow behind the capital ships, and as a result accomplish nothing while my own battleships eat torpedoes from the trailing enemy DDs).

There are no random invasions anymore as I understand it. If you don't manually invade you won't invade at all.

Also you will basically never score torpedo hits on ships you're chasing because torpedoes don't have much margin of speed over ships, so the closure rate is low, which means it takes a long time, which means the torpedo will run out of fuel or the target will maneuver. Your captains not launching in that circumstance isn't doing you any harm.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The email for the discount bounced.

This system is so loving stupid and I feel like an idiot for giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, is it normal for the game to completely stop giving me capital ship battles after 1930 or so? I've not have the game generate a single fleet battle after the RTW1 period ended. Not just the AI refusing to accept it, it's plain not there. It's just DD vs DD with the occasional CLAA while all the carriers and battleships sit at anchor occasionally getting torpedoed by submarines during the start of turn events.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I ordered a board game from them on June 14th and it hasn't shipped yet either, so maybe a neighbor should do a wellness check on them.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Game sold so well Gord's carpal tunnel flared up again and now he can't type the license keys :saddowns:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There is little more frustrating than watching a squadron of land-based torpedo bombers search for an enemy contact... over dry land.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Asehujiko posted:

This system is so loving stupid and I feel like an idiot for giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, is it normal for the game to completely stop giving me capital ship battles after 1930 or so? I've not have the game generate a single fleet battle after the RTW1 period ended. Not just the AI refusing to accept it, it's plain not there. It's just DD vs DD with the occasional CLAA while all the carriers and battleships sit at anchor occasionally getting torpedoed by submarines during the start of turn events.

Squiggle posted:

I ordered a board game from them on June 14th and it hasn't shipped yet either, so maybe a neighbor should do a wellness check on them.

He answered both of my emails yesterday.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Asehujiko posted:

uPen posted:

I wonder if they know yahoo limits free accounts to 500 outbound messages per day. If not they're sure going to find out soon!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
How much of a trap is box protection on BBs or other ships where armor actually matters? It cuts a lot of weight, and I'm worried that it makes you that much more vulnerable to random flotation hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I've been wondering about that too. So far my take is use the extra displacement to crank your deck and TT armor up to give detonation immunity from long range plunging fire and AP bombs - and use the rest on bigger/more guns or heavier AA or speed. My main concern is vulnerability to engine damage leaving the ship wide open to an airstrike.