Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come when the whale faced evas stab themselves in the chest their faces turn human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dawgstar posted:

That had the hilarious scene where the US special forces are completely wowed by how Awesome And Amazing the JSDF's are.
Later on the Gary Stu MC figures out that a black ops team he ran into HAS to be from the United States because "Only the United States uses black people in their black ops teams"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I do know that there is a specific isekai that centers on a guy who wins the lottery and becomes hyper rich and then discovered a way to go to an alternate world that's at your usual isekai medieval level and the whole series centers on him bringing medicine, food, tools and technological advances to the world in order to improve everyone's lives.

That might me the chillest and most non awful one.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The best "isekai" predate isekai as a concept: The Twelve Kingdoms, Escaflowne, hell even El Hazard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

Hell Misato trying to tempt/seduce Shinji when all her hope is lost also plays into that. Even Shinji knows it's bullshit. And while never made explicit (iirc) it's p much a direct opposite of the pureness of Kaworu's love.

everyone in eva is so broken and i love it

i like that despite the bullshit translation, this revives interest and talk about evangelion

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come when the whale faced evas stab themselves in the chest their faces turn human.

it’s Rei/Yui’s face
and it’s because, um, well, you see, uh...

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's sad how that genre generally went from highschool girls go to alternate reality to go on adventures and find themselves to men going there to live out power fantasies. What the gently caress happened?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The best "isekai" predate isekai as a concept: The Twelve Kingdoms, Escaflowne, hell even El Hazard.

actually, it's konosuba

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jimbot posted:

It's sad how that genre generally went from highschool girls go to alternate reality to go on adventures and find themselves to men going there to live out power fantasies. What the gently caress happened?

I mean, the same poo poo that happens every time to every genre: lovely people spend a LOT of money so companies will cater to those same lovely people with what they want.

Power fantasies where the MC has no personality but every lady wants to gently caress him and oh man he's so cool and manly and hell yeah awesome yes will always sell gangbusters because dudes will buy the blu-rays and the model kits and the body pillows etc. As always, the best stuff is under the radar like that one I mentioned earlier.

There are really fun and cool Isekai series out there but because it's EXPLODED in popularity the absolute dogshit is being made so quickly it blocks out any of the good stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Answered your own question, mate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jimbot posted:

It got financially profitable as a genre. Same thing happened to Star Trek, gundam, etc. - a very common refrain in Fandom is that early die-hards are usually women and early works catered to them, but once people start making money off it and it becomes more mainstream the narrative shifts to focus on male fans and the created works follow suit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Augus posted:

it’s Rei/Yui’s face
and it’s because, um, well, you see, uh...

i'm not an anime watcher and one day my friend came over and had me watch end of eva and i was terribly confused. this friend would wear a NERV shirt to school but was lucky enough that he was good looking so it didn't matter.

i thought the whale faced evas had a really cool design though.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Is SomethingAwful an isekai?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I love how every anime dude was raging about people making GBS threads on Shield Hero because it was getting ripped apart due to it's first episode and said it got better.

Spoiler: It loving doesn't. The show is literally just the blandest OP main character isekai series with liberal dashes of edgy emo poo poo and a whole lotta "Master-senpai bought me as a slave but he hasn't beat me so I'm in love with him!" bullshit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is SomethingAwful an isekai?

We aren't cool here, either.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
if SA was an anime it would very obviously be Watamote

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OldTennisCourt posted:

nah tomoko actually gets better later and has friends

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I should probably watch eva but god drat do I not wanna put in the effort to find the old dub

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I haven't found it hard to get out of a google search but it might depend on country.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love how every anime dude was raging about people making GBS threads on Shield Hero because it was getting ripped apart due to it's first episode and said it got better.

Spoiler: It loving doesn't. The show is literally just the blandest OP main character isekai series with liberal dashes of edgy emo poo poo and a whole lotta "Master-senpai bought me as a slave but he hasn't beat me so I'm in love with him!" bullshit.

I mean, the vast majority of people I've seen aside from a couple anitube dead-enders like Gigguk and MB thought it was loving terrible, the fans of the show are almost all either full blown chuds or in that sort of liminal "I don't believe in politics in my entertainment" hellspace, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "every anime dude" claim here.

There was even a straight up mock thread in ADTRW that lasted a few episodes before everyone became too emotionally drained to keep exposing themselves to it.

E: like I'd believe you of you said Goblin Slayer, which is similarly terrible but does a better job of cloaking its horrifying ideology in ~DaRk FaNtAsY~ horseshit so people don't catch on at first.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 27, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought the whale faced evas had a really cool design though.

Oh yeah they’re loving awesome and hella unsettling

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

re:zero is one of the few good isekais imo because the main character's only actual power is "groundhog days when he dies" which means he solves most problems by, again, dying; and is horrifically traumatized by the halfway mark lmao

it's still a bit harem-y but at least Subaru has a personality to like, and the show has the guts to have him go "yeah sorry, I'm in love with this one specific girl"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Re: Zero is basically: Watch the Main Character Get Murdered Horribly: The Anime

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, the vast majority of people I've seen aside from a couple anitube dead-enders like Gigguk and MB thought it was loving terrible, the fans of the show are almost all either full blown chuds or in that sort of liminal "I don't believe in politics in my entertainment" hellspace, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "every anime dude" claim here.

There was even a straight up mock thread in ADTRW that lasted a few episodes before everyone became too emotionally drained to keep exposing themselves to it.

E: like I'd believe you of you said Goblin Slayer, which is similarly terrible but does a better job of cloaking its horrifying ideology in ~DaRk FaNtAsY~ horseshit so people don't catch on at first.

I phrased it poorly, I meant every dude who DID defend it, not EVERY dude. I should have worded it better.

Goblin Slayer pisses me off because there's a glimmer of cool stuff there but it's suffocated by RAPE RAPE MURDER KILL EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF A RACE MURDER NONE OF THEM ARE INNOCENT BLAAAAARGH

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It got financially profitable as a genre. Same thing happened to Star Trek, gundam, etc. - a very common refrain in Fandom is that early die-hards are usually women and early works catered to them, but once people start making money off it and it becomes more mainstream the narrative shifts to focus on male fans and the created works follow suit.

The first Star Trek convention:

It’s kind of tragic to think about how many of those ladies probably left that room disappointed and confused.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Now that I think about it I seriously can't think of a single Isekai series where the main is completely horrified that slavery is a still accepted practice in the world.

Like 75% of them (this is being generous btw) actually have the lead buy a slave who immediately falls for him because he's not a loving rapist.

Usually comes from the ones that're about them main character turned into something inhuman as well. The one where they become a telepathic sword, or thier MMO character (a paladin but since they were wearing the 'look undead' cosmetic now they're a skeleton),

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think we're due a show that does a realistic Isekai and how loving nightmarish that would be (Shield Hero doesn't count)
Re:Zero is the closest I can think of. Subaru has zero special powers except respawning at his last "checkpoint" and the horrifying nature of that causes him to have multiple meltdowns as well as characters just brutally breaking him down when he tries to just brute force his way through a situation(there is one respawn where he has basically a perfect day and genuinely grows closer to a lot of the characters and when it gets reset he just shuts the gently caress down). It still has some trappings of the genre but it handles it a lot better than most.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Now that I think about it I seriously can't think of a single Isekai series where the main is completely horrified that slavery is a still accepted practice in the world.

Like 75% of them (this is being generous btw) actually have the lead buy a slave who immediately falls for him because he's not a loving rapist.
There are multiple ones where the lead murders slavers basically immediately. One, Sword Dad, has it as his first interaction with a sentient being, where a slaver tries to argue that he owns the children he has, and the response is the contract and slaver being chopped in half immediately. Later, They encounter a guy whose job it is to hunt down and enslaved a particular race, and they are especially merciless with him. There's a lot of dreck that handles it poorly but there's a good amount that either doesn't have it at all or treats it as the abomination it is.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Watamote is legitimately one of the best character focused series I can think of. Kuroko evolves very significantly as a person over the course of the manga and past the anime has become a genuinely good person, though she still is absolutely partially her old lovely self on the inside and occasionally lets it out. Her interactions with her friends have gone from trainwrecks to fender benders and it's now one of my favorite series to see an update for.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I wish Twelve Kingdoms continued. What fantastic world building.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

There are multiple ones where the lead murders slavers basically immediately. One, Sword Dad, has it as his first interaction with a sentient being, where a slaver tries to argue that he owns the children he has, and the response is the contract and slaver being chopped in half immediately. Later, They encounter a guy whose job it is to hunt down and enslaved a particular race, and they are especially merciless with him. There's a lot of dreck that handles it poorly but there's a good amount that either doesn't have it at all or treats it as the abomination it is.

Sword Dad is pretty great. It's surprisingly wholesome for a story starring a catgirl. I especially love how they use Sword Dad himself as the censor bar when it comes to her, as if he's protecting her from the reader.

Captain Invictus posted:

Watamote is legitimately one of the best character focused series I can think of. Kuroko evolves very significantly as a person over the course of the manga and past the anime has become a genuinely good person, though she still is absolutely partially her old lovely self on the inside and occasionally lets it out. Her interactions with her friends have gone from trainwrecks to fender benders and it's now one of my favorite series to see an update for.

If you didn't know, Watamote is autobiographical. The author had serious social issues and the series is partially her working through it by portraying her issues in an exaggerated manner.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It makes sense, that's why it's so realistic a lot of the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like Dunbine's take on isekai. Not-Elon-Musk goes to a fantasy world and teams up with an rear end in a top hat feudal lord to do colonialism, and the heroes have to stop him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

If you didn't know, Watamote is autobiographical. The author had serious social issues and the series is partially her working through it by portraying her issues in an exaggerated manner.

The creator does say that she toned some of the stuff from what actually happened. I can only shudder to think.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mokinokaro posted:

I remember hearing about Watamote on the SBF podcast, and the way it was described, it sounded like an interesting read, but something that could be hard to read because of things you look and and go, "Oh cripes, I did something that...:cry:"

Fabricated posted:

You ever play Persona 5? It feels like that level of weird, contextless jank where it's technically correct overall but the choice in terminology use feels like they were basically randomly picking it?

There are some lines in Persona 5 that sound clunky or that don't flow as well with the rest of the dialog in a scene.

One example that comes to mind is that early on, Igor tells you about finding people with a similar 'aesthetic', which itself seems like an odd translation, but I understood he was talking about the other phantom thieves and/or the confidants. Later, however, Ryuji has a line along the lines of 'I guess we didn't stay true to our aesthetic', and it sounds really odd coming from him. One rumor/theory I've heard is that the translators were assigned specific characters to work on, so you got conflicting interpretations of the dialog.

EDIT: For the folks talking about NGE, Anime News Network has an article up on the translation thing.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 28, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Persona 5 also has the weird thing where most of the second half feels like it had a completely different translation team who didn't compare notes with the first.

Stuff like Sanjiro's nickname changing from "chief" to "boss" and the grammar just getting worse overall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Overlord is a great isekai, because part of the premise is the guy turned into his MMO character is now an emotionless unfeeling, undead, Lich in this new fantasy world similar to the original MMO. It just owns the fact he's fundamentally evil, and likes to remind the audience every so often with little arcs following adventuring heros or other groups of characters whose very dark punchline is "and then they got in the way of The Tomb of Nazarick".

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Persona 5 also has the weird thing where most of the second half feels like it had a completely different translation team who didn't compare notes with the first.

Stuff like Sanjiro's nickname changing from "chief" to "boss" and the grammar just getting worse overall.

Assuming they translated things in chronological order of the game's progression, I wonder if maybe they were running out of time, and rushed to get the translation done and out the door.

Persona 5 was in development for a long time and apparently went through a bunch of changes, so I wonder if maybe that affected the localization team (I wouldn't think so, but who knows?)

Persona 5 Royal is coming down the pipeline at some point, so maybe there will be some touch-ups to the translation (though if there are, I'd think there'd be some issues with getting English VAs back to rerecord the lines.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Persona 5 was in development for a long time and apparently went through a bunch of changes, so I wonder if maybe that affected the localization team (I wouldn't think so, but who knows?)

As I recall there were multiple localization teams working on P5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

Persona 5 Royal is coming down the pipeline at some point, so maybe there will be some touch-ups to the translation (though if there are, I'd think there'd be some issues with getting English VAs back to rerecord the lines.)

There's a bunch of new content so they'll have to get the English VA's back to record lines anyway. If anything, it's the perfect opportunity to un-gently caress the existing dialogue.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a bunch of new content so they'll have to get the English VA's back to record lines anyway. If anything, it's the perfect opportunity to un-gently caress the existing dialogue.

I guess my line of thinking is that if they're going to fix translation mistakes, how much work is going to be done? Would you have the voice cast re-record every spoken line in the game, or just the ones that have been altered with the improved translation. If it's the latter, then I feel like the concern would be making sure the old audio and the new audio were mastered to be matched with the original. If it's the former, then I wonder if there's were be cost concerns.

Along with that, there's also getting the original cast back. I wouldn't think there would be much issue with that, but I have to imagine there'd be scheduling conflicts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Along with that, there's also getting the original cast back. I wouldn't think there would be much issue with that, but I have to imagine there'd be scheduling conflicts.

Unless something's changed they got everybody back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1144438049062834177