Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

He was often even worse about it while Spider-Man, it's one of the reasons why his villains hate him so much, and why most of the hero community used to not like him at all either(and many still don't like him for it)

Any examples of this? I've not read many of the older things of Spider-Man so I always thought it was mostly because he talks so drat much and people are annoyed by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any examples of this? I've not read many of the older things of Spider-Man so I always thought it was mostly because he talks so drat much and people are annoyed by him.

The first issue he breaks into the Fantastic Four headquarters to prove how awesome he is so they should totally hire him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

The first issue he breaks into the Fantastic Four headquarters to prove how awesome he is so they should totally hire him.

But when he leaves they're not pissed (well, I forget what Grimm's reaction is TBH). They're basically like "oh I wish he hadn't left in a huff before we could talk things through". Ditko Spider-Man was troubled and angry a lot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

But when he leaves they're not pissed (well, I forget what Grimm's reaction is TBH). They're basically like "oh I wish he hadn't left in a huff before we could talk things through". Ditko Spider-Man was troubled and angry a lot.

And Johnny turned into one of his best friends.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPG2xEEOmo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Let the nerd rage begin!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is going to be awesome.

I'm onw of the few who likes TTG more than the original and after Go! To The Movies I trust them to make this fun as hell

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lol nice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The originals look fairly off there, but it's still a pretty good idea and i'm glad they're actually following through with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The originals look fairly off there, but it's still a pretty good idea and i'm glad they're actually following through with it.
The coloring is digital and kind of off?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just saw they're changing up the release schedule for young justice. Dropping three episodes the first week, then single episodes until the last week when they drop another batch for the finale. I'm guessing they're just trying to stretch out the new content for the platform.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Hmm hope that doesn't impact the Canadian release of two episodes on Teletoon on Sundays

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Just saw they're changing up the release schedule for young justice. Dropping three episodes the first week, then single episodes until the last week when they drop another batch for the finale. I'm guessing they're just trying to stretch out the new content for the platform.

Geez, that's not out yet? That was like one of the whole platform's main selling points, iirc.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TwoPair posted:

Geez, that's not out yet? That was like one of the whole platform's main selling points, iirc.

They dolled out half the season weekly and then took months off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is that platform's death still in the rumor phase?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

No they're trying to avoid everyone signing up for the free week, binge watching the only two or three shows worth the subscription then cancelling en masse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The episodes were pretty good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like that Beast Boy is getting more focus, the timeskips have been kind to him most of all character wise.

Gonna bet it all on Tarra being a red-herring and Helga being the mole, considering all the work they're putting into making Tarra look obviously guilty and the weird poo poo Helga's up to.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm more of a Marvel guy and it's been ages since I watched YJ S1 & S2, so I just had no idea who the kids were chasing after "Count Vertigo" in Episode 16, apart from Beast Boy, Static Shock and Kid Flash. Who was the lady firing purple and who is the counsellor kid?

I'm enjoying the show, but I'm now finding the cuts between dialogue across scenes and the catchphrases way more jarring this time. Maybe I just got old!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Metalshark posted:

I'm more of a Marvel guy and it's been ages since I watched YJ S1 & S2, so I just had no idea who the kids were chasing after "Count Vertigo" in Episode 16, apart from Beast Boy, Static Shock and Kid Flash. Who was the lady firing purple and who is the counsellor kid?

I'm enjoying the show, but I'm now finding the cuts between dialogue across scenes and the catchphrases way more jarring this time. Maybe I just got old!

Ed is the Teleporter from Season 2. Traci Thirteen is new this season, though she made some cameos this season I think this is her first speaking role. She is Jaime Reyes girlfriend in the comics and daughter of classic DC character Doctor Thirteen. (Pretty much the DC Universe's biggest skeptic.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Skeptics are weird as hell characters in big two comics. Hal Jordan was a direct emissary of God and he's now back hanging out with Superman and Batman. Reed Richards met God personally and is sometimes still written as if he thinks Stephen Strange is full of poo poo.

My favorite was the teacher in Nova who didn't believe in aliens.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
People genuinely believe the earth is flat nowadays.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheHan posted:

People genuinely believe the earth is flat nowadays.

That's just because Buzz Aldrin has gotten too old to keep punching them straight in the face.

In Marvel the sliding timeline means 9/11 is a farther memory than Galactus standing around in New York.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

That's just because Buzz Aldrin has gotten too old to keep punching them straight in the face.

In Marvel the sliding timeline means 9/11 is a farther memory than Galactus standing around in New York.

The Marvel sliding timeline means that most if not all of the modern Marvel history we know happened after 9/11.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

The Marvel sliding timeline means that most if not all of the modern Marvel history we know happened after 9/11.

It's funny because they also have all that poo poo that's absolutely married to WW2

So 1941-1945 was massively different from our history, then poo poo mostly happens as normal and then 2003ish the F4 take an ill advised trip to space and Peter Parker gets a spider bite.

Anybody try and square the circle that is Captain America seeing Nixon shooting himself and fighting a snake Reagan and also not having been revived until also after the the end of the 20th century?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Anybody try and square the circle that is Captain America seeing Nixon shooting himself and fighting a snake Reagan and also not having been revived until also after the the end of the 20th century?

Like most of the problems with the sliding timescale, I'd imagine that you just don't even try to square that circle and never acknowledge a lot of stories ever again. Like, when's the last time the Nixon thing has come up actually in a story and not just as part of a clickbait article about "10 craziest things in Cap history!"?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You just ignore it. Marvel has used almost every sitting president at some point. Spider-Man teamed up with the original SNL cast.

I always liked the issue of Avengers where Beast exclaims “I hope I live to see 1976!”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thirteen is particularly weird skeptic given that his daughter is a mage.

I guess it helps the stuff he is normally involved in are Scooby Doo Hoaxes

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 5, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the sliding timescale itself never comes up. Comics just always take place in the present because it’s depressing to require Spiderman age into senility because you want to attach a date to the time he teamed up with David Letterman. Comics make no sense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think the sliding timescale itself never comes up. Comics just always take place in the present because it’s depressing to require Spiderman age into senility because you want to attach a date to the time he teamed up with David Letterman. Comics make no sense.

Hey, Spider-Man: Life Story is actually pretty good so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The sliding timescale was specifically mentioned in Al Ewing's Ultimates.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Like most of the problems with the sliding timescale, I'd imagine that you just don't even try to square that circle and never acknowledge a lot of stories ever again. Like, when's the last time the Nixon thing has come up actually in a story and not just as part of a clickbait article about "10 craziest things in Cap history!"?

I do recall seeing it in cap recently, but I've been mainlining brubakers run, so i can't remember if it was in that or tncs book

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The sliding timescale was specifically mentioned in Al Ewing's Ultimates.

I like that the whole point of that was the Ultimates trying to fix what they saw as a problem with time and Galactus steps in and goes "uhhh you really don't want to do that"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
on the topic of Sliding Timelines, I really dislike the standard model, but there's a variant of it that I've seen a couple fan concepts use that I really like that I call a Reverse Sliding Timeline, I'll let Tony Lewis of The Original Marvel Universe blog sum up the concept in his own words;

Tony Lewis posted:

First, however, I need to clarify the biggest issue in any such chronological analysis of the Original Marvel Universe: when you start the clock. Time passes at different rates for the characters and the reader. Twelve monthly issues may cover only a few days or weeks in the lives of the characters depicted therein. And so, the thirty-odd years of published stories I’m looking at contain only about half as much time in the lives of the characters. This has been dubbed the Marvel “sliding time scale,” meaning that, as time passes in the real world, the early stories become detached from their historical context and are dragged forward in time. This is because the comics publishers, and most fans, start the clock in the present day and work backwards. (The Fantastic Four formed 12 years ago, they’d say, and would then change the details in the original story to update it to the proper era.) I, on the other hand, would rather anchor the stories at the other end—in 1961—and let it run at its own pace and see what happens when fictional continuity and historical fact collide. So instead we change the details of the later stories to set them in an earlier time. My approach to this was inspired by the cliché of people who were around in November 1963 remembering exactly what they were doing when President Kennedy was shot. I asked myself, how would the various Marvel super-heroes answer that question?

it just feels a lot more elegant in execution compared to the standard model, of course it does have some minor issues, part of the reason Tony is able to make it work for his concept is that he includes a cutoff point for what he considers to be canon for his concept(stretching over a period between 1989 and 1993 depending on the book), so one would probably have to do something similar if one wanted to do a similar concept of their own

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Except that basically eliminates every characters targeted at millennials and gen zers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, it's really forward thinking that there were gay mutant weddings in the late 60s in 616.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That solution sounds terrible for the Marvel Universe. They way they do it is the right way. Yes it makes some thinks a bit wonky but it works way more than it doesn't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X-O posted:

That solution sounds terrible for the Marvel Universe. They way they do it is the right way. Yes it makes some thinks a bit wonky but it works way more than it doesn't.

Mind going into more detail as to why you think it's terrible?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Mind going into more detail as to why you think it's terrible?

Skwirl posted:

I mean, it's really forward thinking that there were gay mutant weddings in the late 60s in 616.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because comics are made to be contemporary and not constantly 30 years behind the times.