Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

Dennis from security has kicked me out of this spot 4 times now, and every time I'm wearing the same exact thing more or less; he has yet to recognize me. He just gives me a "This is private property and you can't fish here" and I say "Ohhh, okay, sorry man. I didn't see any signs and nobody was out here so I figured it was no big deal."

The reel looks like a diawa tatula sv tws, but what rod is that? Its interesting looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Elmnt80 posted:

The reel looks like a diawa tatula sv tws, but what rod is that? Its interesting looking.

Yup, that's a Tatula SV. I've abused that thing so bad, it sounds like crap but still works well. I lost the cast control cap and the one they sent was the wrong color, lol.

The rod is a Ritual Angling R-II and I love it dearly. It's a great rod, extremely light and sensitive. That's the 7'5 MH.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ritual_Angling_R-II_Series_Casting_Rods/descpage-RAGCCR.html

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:thejoke:

Headed up for some high country lake fishing this weekend. Hoping to put my kids on their first trout.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

So here's the first and only fish I've ever caught before:

Got it with a piece of hotdog. I know absolutely nothing about fishing other than "you take thing and put it on hook and throw it into water" so I never expected to ever catch anything. Then this fish comes along and nearly pulls the entire rod out into the water while I had it lying next to me for a moment. I had no idea they could be that strong even though it's just a small fish.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

One of us! One of us!

I love the catfish's expression, like it's mugging for the camera and trying to come up with something good to say.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What a cutie! Buy a shore pole stake for your next trip. Costs like a dollar or two and will keep your pole from going by-by.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

One of us! One of us!

I love the catfish's expression, like it's mugging for the camera and trying to come up with something good to say.

haha yea I like the " AAAH gently caress WHERE AM I?!?!" look

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Woop woop! I love any fish that makes me sure of my investment on a tether.

On Saturday I went to a nice lesson on surf fishing, specifically on fly fishing the surf and spear fishing.

Some very friendly people let me borrow their gear and I quickly realized that my casting abilities are much more geared towards small streams and floating in a lake, and not hucking bait as far away from me as possible. Whoops.

I didn't catch anything, but the guys next to me caught some calico bass, so it was a very exciting morning. I'll probably need to wait to invest in gear to try this out more, but it was a wonderful way to spend a day off.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Catfish are really dank, until you go to clean one, at which point you better have a therapist on standby, or Luke Bryan is your favorite artist. Either way, welcome to fishing, which is the best

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Catfish are really dank, until you go to clean one, at which point you better have a therapist on standby, or Luke Bryan is your favorite artist. Either way, welcome to fishing, which is the best

Go on ... :stare:
I have not yet cleaned one, but I understand that skinning them involves pliers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Go on ... :stare:
I have not yet cleaned one, but I understand that skinning them involves pliers.

It’s easier on the bigger ones but we use to just spike the head on a tree and make a cut all around the body under the fin and just peel off the skin like a sock. We would crack the spine first if possible so they don’t wiggle off.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

hagie posted:

haha yea I like the " AAAH gently caress WHERE AM I?!?!" look

lol since I've never caught a fish or held a live one in my hand before it definitely felt weird pulling one out of the water and having it wrestle around in my hand and stare at me. I threw him back and watched him swim away, but one day I would love to figure out how to clean and cook a fish myself to eat. That sounds like it would be gross but also cool as hell.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Ivan Shitskin posted:

lol since I've never caught a fish or held a live one in my hand before it definitely felt weird pulling one out of the water and having it wrestle around in my hand and stare at me. I threw him back and watched him swim away, but one day I would love to figure out how to clean and cook a fish myself to eat. That sounds like it would be gross but also cool as hell.

When I was 12 or so my sister had some amazing beginning fisher's luck and caught a massive catfish on a cane pole at this little pond. We brought it home and my dad went to clean it and lopped its head off.

It was still mostly alive, but that loving think made this loving weird gasping sound and action for roughly 2 hours. Just be prepared for weird poo poo with catfish, they would probably survive a major environmental catastrophe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Be aware they have 4 pretty sharp spines on them. Their mouth is the safest way to handle them if you don’t have much experience with them.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

LingcodKilla posted:

Be aware they have 4 pretty sharp spines on them. Their mouth is the safest way to handle them if you don’t have much experience with them.

Yup, gotta watch them spines. A kid in my class in elementary school almost died from sepsis due to stepping on a catfish spine (it was dead and half-buried in silt, apparently). And keep in mind that catfish are basically zombies, they can live hours with cut throat/gills/guts removed.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Woop woop! I love any fish that makes me sure of my investment on a tether.

On Saturday I went to a nice lesson on surf fishing, specifically on fly fishing the surf and spear fishing.

Some very friendly people let me borrow their gear and I quickly realized that my casting abilities are much more geared towards small streams and floating in a lake, and not hucking bait as far away from me as possible. Whoops.

I didn't catch anything, but the guys next to me caught some calico bass, so it was a very exciting morning. I'll probably need to wait to invest in gear to try this out more, but it was a wonderful way to spend a day off.

:siren: EVERYBODY GO SURF FISHING, IT IS SO FUN :siren:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

:siren: EVERYBODY GO SURF FISHING, IT IS SO FUN :siren:

it's cold and wet

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

it's cold and wet

That was certainly Hooplah's experience. I hope to get him back out there with waders and more suitable rod for long distance casting, but that was such as bad day on the coast that he might be done for good. I won't speak for him, though!

Surf fishing is cool and good, and it's beneficial for our rotting souls to stare at waves all day.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

TBH it just doesn't seem worth the effort. Maybe if the coast was right there and I could experiment, but it's just too hard to get out there.

I'm kinda put off fishing in western wa in general though. I just can't find any fishing opportunities to get excited about.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fair enough! I will let you know once I can reliably help you bag a limit of something once I figure out Lake Washington. It's real big.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I tried surf fishing with the 9wt fly rod once, and I couldn't quite get the hang of it (although my friends stayed hooked up with conventional tackle and shrimp as bait). How far out would you say that I need to be able to cast to get bit? There's like a trough kind of area just before the waves start to break, right?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I tried surf fishing with the 9wt fly rod once, and I couldn't quite get the hang of it (although my friends stayed hooked up with conventional tackle and shrimp as bait). How far out would you say that I need to be able to cast to get bit? There's like a trough kind of area just before the waves start to break, right?

I think a lot of it depends on what you're fishing for, but yeah, troughs are what you're looking for. Basically you're looking for the calmest patches of water between sets of waves breaking, if that makes sense, and it's going to change with the tide. I have a surfcasting book at home that has a diagram that would be helpful; I'll post it when I get home.

As for casting distance, good casters can reach 100+ yards but I think average is about 40-60. Fish can be holding in troughs far from the beach or feeding right up close to shore. The extremely not-helpful answer is to cast all over until you find the fish, then keep casting there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Built a crab and fish cleaning station from a sink we found by our wood pile.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Nice! I wish I had an outdoor fish cleaning table. Cleaning them inside often ends up with scales getting all over the place and little bits of guts caught in the plug hole.

If you attach a wide hose to the plug hole you can flush fish guts straight out to your garden.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Nice! I wish I had an outdoor fish cleaning table. Cleaning them inside often ends up with scales getting all over the place and little bits of guts caught in the plug hole.

If you attach a wide hose to the plug hole you can flush fish guts straight out to your garden.

Already got the plumbing for that! Just doesn’t show. Gonna place a bucket in the ground with holes in it like a mini drainage system. Still gonna place a filter for large bits though.

Traps deployed. Ooooooh boy!

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 4, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Crabs traps checked. Not great but decent size crabs. With the very low tide we managed to find another full limit of keepers by hand.

Second round of trap checking with the kids and we did great! Full limit of 6 inch guys with a pair of 7 inch beasts.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 5, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Caught my first ever rock crab today! Only a 5 incher, but i'm still psyched to get one on my homemade snare casting from the beach.

While letting the snare soak I caught a few what I assumed were my usual rock sole (flounder), but one of them turned out to actually be my first ever sand dab. 12", so I think a pretty decent size one at that

So turns out I can still get excited about the fishing out here. I'm just irrational when I'm depressed :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s a nice size sole but a 5” rock provides very little meat. I usually don’t keep them under 6” but you take what you can get sometimes. I’m getting some really big 7”+ in my traps right now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

drat, hopefully I can get some of those! I agree at 5" it really wasn't worth keeping.

Anyway I had so much fun fishing yesterday I decided to hit the beach again today. I biked there so I didn't bring anything to keep fish in and I really should have. Literally every cast I had a bite. I couldn't keep those drat sand dabs off my hook. If I had drove, I could have easily left with my limit of ten. I fried up whole the one I posted yesterday, and it was probably better eating all around than rock sole. A+, will go back to the beach again with a catch cooler

At first I took pics of every one I caught so I could double check my IDs later, but I stopped at some point because there were just too many. Anyway I'll subject you guys to some example pics. They're cool fish, imo. Lots of variation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What beach was this? I’d love to catch a mess of dabs.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Golden gardens

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Golden gardens

Boo! Too far for dabs. Enjoy your productive beach. At least you can catch them year round.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Boo! Too far for dabs. Enjoy your productive beach. At least you can catch them year round.

Yeah I'm sure. I'd take your access to crabs and such over my crazy crowded beach, it's probably one of the most popular in the city. Makes driving on the weekends kind of a no-go. Still very nice to have it so close.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

May do some intercoastal dock fishing again this upcoming week.

Maybe I can get pictures of some American Eels I catch again before they wind themselves up in my rig and explode from the tension...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hagie posted:

May do some intercoastal dock fishing again this upcoming week.

Maybe I can get pictures of some American Eels I catch again before they wind themselves up in my rig and explode from the tension...

Eat those suckers, they grill up goooooood

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Waaaaay too much work for one Bluegill today. My first spot was worthless because it had grown up high and I'm not about to go on a tick safari. Second spot, right near a bridge, thought it was perfect - whoops, apparently it's the local swimming hole and people will jump right in no matter what you're doing nearby.
Moved upstream and caught that guy - I wasnt leaving until I caught something out of there. Supposedly there's big trout but the weather has been extremely hot recently and I worry for their safety :(

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I got to fish today. It was cool and good.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Look at this stripy bastard. 17 inches, 2.5 pounds or so. This is a huge bass for where I was fishing. My 20 minute hike in my waders and fishing in rain paid off!
Wacky worm if you're wondering. Was my trout setup so landing it was a thing.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

that's pretty big for a smallmouth, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

that's pretty big for a smallmouth, no?

A 2.5 smallie is going to have some fight to it, to be sure!

Also I believe that it's a little easier on a bass's spine if you support its belly when you take a pic, especially with big bastards.