Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

As a gamer I think I have a special appreciation for Warren's eloquence,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ytlaya posted:

The thing about the debates is that I'm not sure if what most of us perceive as good performances actually translates to broad support and electoral success. If I'm being completely honest, I generally don't like listening to Bernie much in debates/speeches (though I support him because he's just better on the actual issues* and has a history that makes him the most reliable and trustworthy advocate for those issues), and my "gut" response is better to the debate performance of someone like Warren or Harris. But I don't think that sort of "well-spoken in the sense that it'd get you a good grade on a school project or convince a business to purchase your services as a consultant" thing necessarily appeals to the public in general. It appeals to me because I did things like take AP courses in high school, so I learned to have a positive gut reaction to things that are phrased "eloquently," but that isn't true for most Americans (and it's probably a good thing it isn't, since that stuff is largely just upper/upper-middle class affectation).

* and if you look at the actual things he's written and said in the past, it's clear that he's actually very knowledgeable about the subjects he speaks about; I think it's a conscious choice on his part to stick to the rote speeches and talking points

I don't thing "wins" and "losses" really mean much in debates. That's silly scorekeeping us nerds do. But I do think debates result in "gains" and "losses." Biden had a loss tonight. He was hurt and looked bad in a meaningful way. Harris had a gain. She showed herself as a good fighter and made herself Biden's equal. How that affects polls and support, I don't know, but debates are narratives and shows and those are the narratives coming out of this.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
Bernie was a bit weak on the raising taxes admission. He needs to frame it differently. That should have been a softball question. Also the healthcare question he fumbled about how are we going to do this. These questions should literally be easy peasy for Bernie no excuses

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Bernie's problem is that he's better at single-target dps, when he really needed to spec for aoe tonight.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

she literally went on about how Trump has harnessed fear and hate and poo poo and she'll beat him by harnessing love, and love is more powerful. It was amazing, she's peak Weird Aunt and I love her.

Someone should tell this loving moonbat that it wasn't love that beat the Nazis the first time, and it won't be what beats them again.

The Red Army didn't run on love :commissar:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm on break atm at work, how did the second debates go

Bernie did not significantly impress or gently caress up, Harris publicly murdered Biden on stage, her body cam was off, and the grand jury is refusing to indict.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Tibalt posted:

Criteria for 2nd round of debates:

The DNC's outline for its September debate — the third of at least a dozen promised matchups during the 2020 nominating contest — decrees that candidates can participate only by reaching 2% in four approved polls released between June 28 and Aug. 28 while also collecting contributions from a minimum of 130,000 unique donors before Aug. 28. That donor list must include a minimum of 400 individuals in at least 20 states. The qualifications would remain the same for an October debate, though the party hasn't set the deadline for measuring fundraising and polling.

So most of the current faces will probably make the second debate, but art least half are going to be off stage come Fall.

I'm part of another forum where they looked at the donors and polling, and if you took April 28 to June 28 polls, Biden/Buttigieg/Harris/O'Rourke/Sanders/Warren are locks for the September debate, Booker is very likely to make it, Klobuchar has tailed off a bit, and Yang/Castro/Gabbard are the only other ones with a pulse. The others are DOA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

Kopmala won, Bernie tread water, Biden exploded, Mayor Pete was killed by a noname, and Marianne Williamson threatened the president of the United States with a spirit bomb on national television.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The knives were going to come out for Bernie or Biden regardless, and Biden made himself look like a way easier target.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if Joe Biden wasn't Joe Biden I'd feel kinda bad for how sad and confused he looked after Harris broke him over her knee

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Professor Skittles posted:

Bernie was a bit weak on the raising taxes admission. He needs to frame it differently. That should have been a softball question. Also the healthcare que fumbled about how are we going to do this. These questions should literally be easy peasy for Bernie no excuses

it is weird because he answered it perfectly in 2016: your healthcare saving will far outstrip any tax increase. and it felt like he was trying to get that out but the words just didn't happen right

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Take his federal war chest, run for Senate.

Yeah. Pete (and Beto) probably still has enough positive that they if they bow out gracefully and make some friends they might have a future somewhere, even maybe in 2020. But if they repeat this stuff in debates that don't have crazy crystal ladies and John Delaney then they might walk away with nothing.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Biden is literally Sad Jeb all over again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

if Joe Biden wasn't Joe Biden I'd feel kinda bad for how sad and confused he looked after Harris broke him over her knee

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1144445353862807552

LOL

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain Invictus posted:

williamson won, harris killed biden

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

Nah Jeb! is at least endearing on some level.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oh my god did he break down mid debate or something? He looks like he crashed and burned super hard. If so that'd be the first good thing in the last like 36 hours

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also, its a nerd thing and I don't expect it to be a narrative or something that haunts Bernie... but I still want to know what the gently caress "rotate the courts" means. That left an impression on me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Holy gently caress lol stick a goddamn fork in the Biden campaign.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Holy poo poo she suuuuuucks.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Bernie hosed up a little, especially after Rachel Maddow directly quoted him in appropriate context and he called his own words "a mischaracterization of my position." Also he seemed a bit worn down and slow. Thank goodness Biden took some of the biggest hits but it wasn't a great night for Bernie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Old white man who does whatever the gently caress worked out fine for Trump, it'll work out fine for me!" thinks man who just told a black woman in 2019 that fighting segregation was a "local" issue.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Majorian posted:

Nah Jeb! is at least endearing on some level.

Biden really was endearing standing next to Obama. It's shocking how hatable he is now.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you feel compelled to self-deprecate as a 'nerd' before you post your inane 'scores' or whatever... maybe reconsider the whole bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Symone Sanders got REAL dumb lately.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Biden looked like he didn’t want to be up there and he definitely pooped his pants imo. Harris and the buttman came across the best I think, bennet was the best of the alsorans by a lot. Bernie didn’t make much of an impression but he stuck to his messaging which I think plays better for him than your average bear. That line swalwell had about Biden was legit shocking but he’s not ready for the bigs yet.

Warren and Castro and booker all outplayed everybody from tonight but Kamala imho

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Simone Sanders got REAL dumb lately.

tbf she probably got paid extremely well to turn her brain off

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

By the way I'm upgrading Bernie to a 76.5% after further consideration.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh my god did he break down mid debate or something? He looks like he crashed and burned super hard. If so that'd be the first good thing in the last like 36 hours

At least twice he was in the middle of rambling, go-nowhere answers and suddenly stopped talking, declared,"My time is up" and left the moderators to awkwardly shift to another person on the stage (all of whom were regularly begging for more time/trying to talk as long as possible).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Symone Sanders got REAL dumb lately.

I doubt it's that. She's just amoral, careerist scum like most of our political class.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chuka Umana posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sSnMifJ.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/wcOOtj4.gifv

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

STAC Goat posted:

Also, its a nerd thing and I don't expect it to be a narrative or something that haunts Bernie... but I still want to know what the gently caress "rotate the courts" means. That left an impression on me.

Appoint people to lower courts, and then every few years rotate them with people in higher courts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Biden just literally got pulled away from a rambling answer with a MSNBC reporter by his wife and just stopped mid sentence.

God drat Biden had a bad night.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

At least twice he was in the middle of rambling, go-nowhere answers and suddenly stopped talking, declared,"My time is up" and left the moderators to awkwardly shift to another person on the stage (all of whom were regularly begging for more time/trying to talk as long as possible).

Solid chance Trump or whoever manages his twitter is going to incorporate that sound byte into something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

STAC Goat posted:

I don't thing "wins" and "losses" really mean much in debates. That's silly scorekeeping us nerds do. But I do think debates result in "gains" and "losses." Biden had a loss tonight. He was hurt and looked bad in a meaningful way. Harris had a gain. She showed herself as a good fighter and made herself Biden's equal. How that affects polls and support, I don't know, but debates are narratives and shows and those are the narratives coming out of this.

I think this first debate was especially important since this was the first time the candidates had the chance to speak to a national audience (that aren't just giant political nerds like us), and first impressions do matter. And in that regard, Harris definitely came across as a fighter, and Biden came across as defensive and vulnerable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

I doubt it's that. She's just amoral, careerist scum like most of our political class.

No, I know. I was just you know... taking her at face value for sport. Obviously she's just fumbling terribly trying to spin Biden's gently caress ups.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Marianne Williamson should have closed with "Dracarys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HootTheOwl posted:

Appoint people to lower courts, and then every few years rotate them with people in higher courts.

That... doesn't seem like a good or logical or plausible thing to me.