Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Stickman posted:

The Powercolor Red Dragon is just 30 pounds more, and is a legitimately decent triple-fan card. I’d consider that over the hassle of dealing with a blower.

Not unless you plan on also replacing the old kit at some point. All of your RAM will running at the slowest timing.

I have this 56 and its super nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I don't think this exists, but contrary to your findings, I think it's the USB controller that's the limiting factor. Most Ryzen boards including the ITX ones have two M.2 PCIe x4 slots (sometimes one of them can be run in SATA mode too, but don't let that fool you), but there's only about a dozen B450/X470 boards that have an extra USB controller, and none of them are in the form factor you want.

I played around for a bit with the parametric search on geizhals.eu, and while I found one board that seemed like it checked all the boxes (the Asus ROG Strix X370-I Gaming), that seems to be an error in the Geizhals database because Asus' product page doesn't mention the ASMedia USB controller for that board (they do mention it on other boards that do have it though). There are like two other mATX/ITX B350 boards that have an extra USB controller, but neither of them have two M.2 slots.

Maybe X570 will bring something that fits your bill, but I sorta doubt it. ITX boards aren't exactly known for having a ton of I/O, and mATX barely exists at all anymore.

e: why do you need the ASMedia USB controller though? You already have two USB3 controllers on Ryzen - one on the CPU itself and one on the chipset. I don't know anything about your usecase but, uh, can you really max out three of them? If you just want a ton of USB 3.1 ports the MSI B450M Mortar Titanium might fit the bill:

e2: or is the thing you're trying to say that you need at least 4 USB 3.1 Gen2 ports?

I didn't realize the CPU had a USB3 controller, thanks! That should make this a lot easier. Didn't know about geizhals.eu either, I'll play with that some today.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I did a motherboard invert for my PC and ended up connecting only one cable for RTX 2080 power. It worked fine for furmark, no stability issues in gaming, should I plug another one just in case? PSU is Seasonic 650W Titanium.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

alex314 posted:

I did a motherboard invert for my PC and ended up connecting only one cable for RTX 2080 power. It worked fine for furmark, no stability issues in gaming, should I plug another one just in case? PSU is Seasonic 650W Titanium.

I mean it probably does power levelling across the two connections if it doesn't actually use more than 1 connections capacity, so it would be wise to plug both in. When you push too much current through a cable it can overheat and that's decidedly bad. I doubt it would start a fire but why take a chance with possibly damaging the cable or card or psu.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Newegg has a few more days of a discount on a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W. There's a 30 dollar rebate but you can also take off 18 bucks with the code SSNCJUNE18 thats on the page, so it should come out to 82 plus tax after rebate. Seems like a decent deal.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...3d3007f0a1c0e10

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are DL-DVI ports and 24+1 pin digital DVI ports both DVI-D? If so, I think I need to buy a DVI-D cable.

I have a GeForce GTX 1080 with 3 DisplayPort Connectors (2 free, 1 occupied by primary monitor), 1 HDMI Connector (occupied by Vive VR headset), 1 DVI connector (free, labeled DVI-D on back, website calls it a DL-DVI.

I want to connect it to an Asus VW246H that I've had for years. It has an HDMI port, a 24+1 pin digital DVI port, and a 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15). I've been using the HDMI cable but having to swap between using my second monitor for work and having the VR headset connected is getting old so I'm trying to find a solution that lets me connection all my appliances at the same time.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LLSix posted:

Are DL-DVI ports and 24+1 pin digital DVI ports both DVI-D? If so, I think I need to buy a DVI-D cable.

I have a GeForce GTX 1080 with 3 DisplayPort Connectors (2 free, 1 occupied by primary monitor), 1 HDMI Connector (occupied by Vive VR headset), 1 DVI connector (free, labeled DVI-D on back, website calls it a DL-DVI.

I want to connect it to an Asus VW246H that I've had for years. It has an HDMI port, a 24+1 pin digital DVI port, and a 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15). I've been using the HDMI cable but having to swap between using my second monitor for work and having the VR headset connected is getting old so I'm trying to find a solution that lets me connection all my appliances at the same time.

Should be, yeah. DL-DVI should stand for dual link DVI which is the 24+1 pin one

if both GPU and monitor have this, just get a DVI-D 24+1 cable and you're set :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do I buy the Ryzen 5 1600 for $80 now or wait a 1-2 months when the pc it is for will be built? (1080p gaming)

The answer must be wait but it is hard to pass up these summer deals.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I haven't done a PC build in a while. I have a dell t330 server that is cooled by a single 120mm fan. It was loud, so I replaced it with a "Be Quiet!" fan, which keeps the temperatures the same but the rotational speed is much lower and is triggering the low rpm alert. Is there a 120mm fan that has the rpm of a "normal" one but doesn't have a loud whine to it? White noise is OK, I just don't like the high frequency whine that cheap fans have.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

goodness posted:

Do I buy the Ryzen 5 1600 for $80 now or wait a 1-2 months when the pc it is for will be built? (1080p gaming)

The answer must be wait but it is hard to pass up these summer deals.

Wait because the Zen+ chips are going to drop a substantial amount when Zen 2 comes out on the 7th. The prices that Zen 2 fall into almost exactly match the chips they are replacing, so the Zen+ parts should come down in price, and first gen Ryzens will probably stop production.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

Should be, yeah. DL-DVI should stand for dual link DVI which is the 24+1 pin one

if both GPU and monitor have this, just get a DVI-D 24+1 cable and you're set :)

Awesome, thank you!

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

orange juche posted:

Wait because the Zen+ chips are going to drop a substantial amount when Zen 2 comes out on the 7th. The prices that Zen 2 fall into almost exactly match the chips they are replacing, so the Zen+ parts should come down in price, and first gen Ryzens will probably stop production.

Is the 2600x going to drop below $180? Because amazon and a couple others had them on sale for $180 for a few weeks in the last month. Ebay prices have jumped back up too along with terribly craigslist-esque used prices.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SatelliteCore posted:

Is the 2600x going to drop below $180? Because amazon and a couple others had them on sale for $180 for a few weeks in the last month. Ebay prices have jumped back up too along with terribly craigslist-esque used prices.

I could see the 2600x staying at $180, or maybe a little bit below it. Right now on Amazon they're going for $179.59 USD. The Ryzen 3600 (the cheapest 2nd gen R5) is more powerful than a 2700x in everything other than stuff that pushes more than 12 threads (and is about 5-8% behind a 9900k in single threaded stuff), and it's coming out for $199 on the 7th. I could actually probably see the 2700x coming down to near the 3600 in the pricing stack and the 2600x coming down a similar amount.

In a Far Cry 5 benchmark run (something that AMD is pretty bad in compared to Intel), the Ryzen R5 3600 average FPS at 1080P Ultra throughout the run increased by 21 FPS. That's a 20% increase in gaming FPS over the 2700x.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 28, 2019

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

orange juche posted:

Alright.

The deal I'm looking at now is at mc with the R5 1500 and MSI b450 tomahawk for ~$160. But if it will get better I can wait.

1080p gaming isn't that difficult to begin with.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Khorne posted:

50c idle means you likely don't have the cooler secured properly, you have a 45c ambient in your room, or the thermal paste dried out. Given you're using a stock Intel cooler, I'd put good money on it being improperly installed and missing pressure on at least one quadrant.

So to follow up on this, I swapped my entire machine plus a AIO cooler to a new case. During the disassembly, sure enough, there was a plastic screw with an arrow on it that was apparently not engaged. I'm not even sure how I was confident it was engaged the first time I installed it because there is little to no feedback, but I do remember a dumbass moment where after I blew out my case and exiting graphics card I thought "Now would be a good time to deep clean this fan" and 2 screws and 15 minutes later realizing my thermal paste had gone missing, like it does.

Good call. My AIO is keeping my 4690k at 38c idle and 62 tops under load.

Unfortunately BF1 still runs like poo poo and it is now a pride thing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well, I upgraded from a 970 to a 2060 on a whim and now the computer does nothing when the power button is pressed. That’ll teach me to do anything.

Edit: Annnd it's fixed! Some wire must've come loose. Took stuff out and put them back in. :shrug:

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 28, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

goodness posted:

Alright.

The deal I'm looking at now is at mc with the R5 1500 and MSI b450 tomahawk for ~$160. But if it will get better I can wait.

1080p gaming isn't that difficult to begin with.

I wouldn't bet on Zen+ getting a deep discount as soon as Zen2 comes out, probably more like $10-30, just enough to position them just below the new parts. The current discounts ok Zen1 are just retailers clearing inventory space and weren't around most of Zen+s life. A 1600 should be perfectly serviceable for 60fps, though I wouldn't get anything below that.

Otoh, buying components before your ready to assemble them isn't a great idea as you'll have to go through the warranty process rather than just return it to the retailer if something is defective.

Also, your CPU doesn't care what resolution you're gaming at, all of that is done by the GPU; the CPU sets an fps cap based on it's ability to process game logic. As resolution goes up your CPU is less likely to be the limiting factor as the GPUs work per frame has increased significantly while the CPUs is unchanged.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Welp, I done did the foolish thing and got an RTX 2080 to pair poorly with my i5-7600. Seems like this setup is a nice little CPU bottleneck especially when playing AC Odyssey. What CPU would be best to upgrade to to resolve this unwise purchase? I'm thinking a 9th-gen i7, but maybe these newfangled Zen 2s are worth a look?

I realize I'm pretty much into luxury money-wasting territory at this point, but in for a penny etc :downs:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm looking at the Meshify S2 for a beefy Zen2 build here in about a month. I'm considering saying gently caress it and doing 9x 140mm fans (three front, two bottom as intake, one rear, three top as exhaust, should have positive pressure then right, 5 intake 4 exhaust?) Throw one of those big Noctua D15 coolers in there too. Is this idea completely ridiculous, or just right? :hellyeah:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Welp, I done did the foolish thing and got an RTX 2080 to pair poorly with my i5-7600. Seems like this setup is a nice little CPU bottleneck especially when playing AC Odyssey. What CPU would be best to upgrade to to resolve this unwise purchase? I'm thinking a 9th-gen i7, but maybe these newfangled Zen 2s are worth a look?

I realize I'm pretty much into luxury money-wasting territory at this point, but in for a penny etc :downs:

AC Odyssey is a CPU muncher of a game. 4 cores are gonna choke on that game. Most games are not like that, but anything in the Zen 2 stack will outperform your i5 7600 in both single and multi-core tasks. So, how much are you looking at spending, because you're going to need a new motherboard, and RAM even if you go with Intel instead of AMD.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Azuren posted:

I'm looking at the Meshify S2 for a beefy Zen2 build here in about a month. I'm considering saying gently caress it and doing 9x 140mm fans (three front, two bottom as intake, one rear, three top as exhaust, should have positive pressure then right, 5 intake 4 exhaust?) Throw one of those big Noctua D15 coolers in there too. Is this idea completely ridiculous, or just right? :hellyeah:

I'd like to hear some opinions on potential cases for a zen build next month also. I see people in this thread going for Meshify's and NZXT H500s. Its kinda hard to tell what the pros/cons of all these different cases are.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002
Once you go full brown in a Meshify C, it's hard to go back to anything else.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

orange juche posted:

AC Odyssey is a CPU muncher of a game. 4 cores are gonna choke on that game. Most games are not like that, but anything in the Zen 2 stack will outperform your i5 7600 in both single and multi-core tasks. So, how much are you looking at spending, because you're going to need a new motherboard, and RAM even if you go with Intel instead of AMD.

Aww nuts, none of the new guys will grok my DDR4-2400? :saddowns:

Hmm, I was thinking in the $500-600 range, ideally closer to the low end. That looks like it might make the Intel route a bit difficult if I have to get new RAM too :downs:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ActionExpress posted:

Once you go full brown in a Meshify C, it's hard to go back to anything else.

Fractal Design has just the thing for you!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im looking to get a new case and a new psu, on a budget. i dont do a ton of intensive poo poo, i just need to replace an old PSU and my case is beat to poo poo to the point that all of my front USB ports are slowly ceasing to function. are there any recommendations?

i'm not being specific about prices because i genuinely don't know what things cost, give me the lowball options and we can go from there

edit i have a geforce gtx 750ti installed currently

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 28, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

im looking to get a new case and a new psu, on a budget. i dont do a ton of intensive poo poo, i just need to replace an old PSU and my case is beat to poo poo to the point that all of my front USB ports are slowly ceasing to function. are there any recommendations?

i'm not being specific about prices because i genuinely don't know what things cost, give me the lowball options and we can go from there

Since you're ditching your old case most likely, please outline kind of what you do do with your computer? What is your most intensive/common task? Gaming is obviously not it, as evidenced by the GTX 750TI.

If I had to guess all your hardware is at least 5 years old, as your GPU is probably the newest piece in it.

If you do no gaming whatsoever

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($54.30 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: *ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *TCSunBow - X3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox E300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: *Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $290.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-28 00:26 EDT-0400

This is probably faster than whatever you are using right now, but it's by no means a gaming machine. You can probably put some gaming legs on it by transferring over your 750ti.

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: *Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $520.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-28 00:37 EDT-0400

This has a bit more gaming chops, all the parts are a bit more expensive, and decently faster, and it adds in a dedicated GPU. Still not a heavy lifter, but capable for light to moderate games, and the case is probably not your taste, it wasn't mine either but you can sub another ~40 dollar case easily anyways.

For office work if you don't play PC games, it will work the same, just take the GPU out of the parts list as it isn't needed for office stuff, and you can save $120 off the price.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 28, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'd go with that Seasonic Focus Gold that Orange Juche suggested over the Corsair CXM for the better efficiency/parts and the 7-year vs 5-year warranty. If you can swing it, the 550W Seasonic Focus Plus[/i] is $20 more but gets you a 10-year warranty and is fully modular (no cables are permanently fixed to the unit). It's not necessary, per se, but it's better peace-of-mind and the sort of PSU you can carry over from computer to computer.

On the case side, if you're intending to keep the innards of your current computer, you'll need to know the size of the motherboard - is it [url=https://www.gamingscan.com/motherboards-atx-vs-micro-atx-vs-mini-itx/]ATX or microATX
? Also, is your computer a prebuilt machine from a company like HP or Dell? They'll often use custom PSUs and motherboards that aren't compatible with standard cases. Cases can run from $30 to $100+, depending on whether your looking for something cheap that fits you parts or something more solidly built that's easier to work in and has better airflow.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'd like to hear some opinions on potential cases for a zen build next month also. I see people in this thread going for Meshify's and NZXT H500s. Its kinda hard to tell what the pros/cons of all these different cases are.

Yeah, I agree. I've been planning on the Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower. The dimensions are right, I didn't see anything really complain-y about it online, and apparently it's very quiet. It doesn't have a window though, if that matters to you.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Azuren posted:

You'll probably get worse CPU/GPU temperatures if you open the vent in front of the CPU - some of the cool air is going to be vented before it makes to the CPU and it'll disrupt laminar flow across the board and CPU cooler. I suspect you'd probably do better with 2 or 3 front intakes and just the back exhaust, or maybe the back + the very back top exhaust if you can leave rest covered.

E: You could always experiment with the stock cooling and see how it does. Rip some fans off your old PC and see if they help.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 28, 2019

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I need some suggestions for a CPU cooler for entirely new build. I will be getting a Ryzen 3000 CPU and depending on the price I will go for the 8 or 12 core option. I don't intend to overclock but I need a good cooler for (near)silence and the fact that I live in a hot climate in the summer. I am intending to use a Phanteks Ernthoo Pro M case since it has a 5.25" bay. I am ok for hearing other case suggestions as long as the case isn't over 11kg(22lbs) and I can fit an optical drive.

Cheers in advance.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Stickman posted:

You'll probably get worse CPU/GPU temperatures if you open the vent in front of the CPU - some of the cool air is going to be vented before it makes to the CPU and it'll disrupt laminar flow across the board and CPU cooler. I suspect you'd probably do better with 2 or 3 front intakes and just the back exhaust

Thanks for being the voice of reason :v: Case comes stock with 2 front 1 rear 140mms, I will give those a whirl before adding any more.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Budzilla posted:

I need some suggestions for a CPU cooler for entirely new build. I will be getting a Ryzen 3000 CPU and depending on the price I will go for the 8 or 12 core option. I don't intend to overclock but I need a good cooler for (near)silence and the fact that I live in a hot climate in the summer. I am intending to use a Phanteks Ernthoo Pro M case since it has a 5.25" bay. I am ok for hearing other case suggestions as long as the case isn't over 11kg(22lbs) and I can fit an optical drive.

Cheers in advance.

You can't really go wrong with a D15s/Dark Rock 4 Pro. A Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B is a little bit hotter/louder, but I suspect would also be just fine if you're not looking for much of an overclock. It might be a good idea to wait for reviews and see how much they're pushing coolers, especially the 3900x.

Is near silence a professional requirement (i.e. home studio), or just a personal preference? The Enthoo Pro M doesn't have any acoustic deadening and apparently the plastic-window version has some issues with the side panels rattling. Requiring a ODD bay limits modern mid-tower options a bit, but the Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 has one and is right around the same price. It's also a relatively hot case, though, but if you're not overclocking you'll probably be fine.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I’m looking for a good HTPC case for my media center. Primary use will be gaming.
I found this nice looking case but I’m concerned about the GPU clearance height of only 120mm incl. power cables.

Is there anything else out there in similar quality that is a bit taller?

My cabinet can fit 18"W x 8"H x 18"D

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I’m looking for a good HTPC case for my media center. Primary use will be gaming.
I found this nice looking case but I’m concerned about the GPU clearance height of only 120mm incl. power cables.

I'm don't know of an other good cases in that format, but 120mm should be fine for all of the "standard" height GPUs (i.e. no EVGA FTW3s or MSi Gaming series). It might be a bit tight, but you could pick up some low profile elbow extensions to alleviate that.

The closest case to your specifications that I see is the Silverstone GD08b, but it's an older case so it's probably missing many of the niceties of the Nanoxia. Maybe someone else has another suggestion? You could try the HTPC or SFF threads, too.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Stickman posted:

Is near silence a professional requirement (i.e. home studio), or just a personal preference?
Personal. Thanks for the advice of the Pure Base 600. I prefer a quiet system - I kept making different picks over the last few weeks of what to get but nothing seems to match what I want nicely. I just want to minimize the noise of fans - silence for an extra 200 bucks is ok with me if the system will last me 3 yrs+

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Some of the narrower cases that have the GPU at a right angle can fit taller cards, eg Node 202 and ML07 list 145mm and 149mm clearances respectively (only two-slot cards though).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xgalaxy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhZ3Tf1myI

The Silverstone GD09 is a quite nice looking case, and it's very solid and good to build in.

It doesn't have anything goofy like a slide out drawer containing the mobo and other stuff though, which personally doesn't sound like a great idea unless you have a ton of slack in your cables in the back.

Its dimensions are 17.3 x 6.7 x 14 inches (440 x 170 x 358mm), and can fit full size GPUs with no issue.

Also, if you are building and then placing in a cabinet, invest in something to evacuate hot air from behind the cabinet, as heat bottled up in the exhaust section will easily circulate back to the intakes in your cabinet and absolutely will kill your PC.

E: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811163257 linkage to newegg which sells the case. Amazon has it too, but it's not in stock there right now.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 28, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

xarph posted:

I haven't done a PC build in a while. I have a dell t330 server that is cooled by a single 120mm fan. It was loud, so I replaced it with a "Be Quiet!" fan, which keeps the temperatures the same but the rotational speed is much lower and is triggering the low rpm alert. Is there a 120mm fan that has the rpm of a "normal" one but doesn't have a loud whine to it? White noise is OK, I just don't like the high frequency whine that cheap fans have.

Can’t you mess with fan curves in software? BeQuiet fans are pretty good, with only Noctua coming to mind as a higher end ones. If the software uses voltage curve then maybe get one topping at 2000 RPM, like Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX (comes with adapters for lower RPM too). They are expensive, so let me know if you want something saner.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Budzilla posted:

Personal. Thanks for the advice of the Pure Base 600. I prefer a quiet system - I kept making different picks over the last few weeks of what to get but nothing seems to match what I want nicely. I just want to minimize the noise of fans - silence for an extra 200 bucks is ok with me if the system will last me 3 yrs+

Check out Phanteks Eclipse P600S too - it has an advantage of easily removable front cover if down the line you want to get into more performance hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HhZ3Tf1myI

The Silverstone GD09 is a quite nice looking case, and it's very solid and good to build in.

It doesn't have anything goofy like a slide out drawer containing the mobo and other stuff though, which personally doesn't sound like a great idea unless you have a ton of slack in your cables in the back.

Its dimensions are 17.3 x 6.7 x 14 inches (440 x 170 x 358mm), and can fit full size GPUs with no issue.

Also, if you are building and then placing in a cabinet, invest in something to evacuate hot air from behind the cabinet, as heat bottled up in the exhaust section will easily circulate back to the intakes in your cabinet and absolutely will kill your PC.

E: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811163257 linkage to newegg which sells the case. Amazon has it too, but it's not in stock there right now.

The cabinet I’m using is a BDI with really good ventilation characteristics.
I saw the Silverstone and it’s on my list of considerations.

I’d also really like a Streacom but the form factor I’d want is basically sold out everywhere.