Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey ANAmal.net and I did a second installment of Your Legion Sucks. Come for the salt over Space Wolves, stay for the diminishing comedy returns. https://www.goonhammer.com/your-legion-sucks-part-2/

Also big thanks to Booley, Pendent, Hixson, and RichyP for helping with images this week. You guys rock.

quote:

TheChirurgeon: Yeah I’ve legit never seen an Iron Hands army in person. The closest I think I’ve gotten is back in 7th edition when they got cool rules and then there were a bunch of “Counts as” Iron Warriors armies suddenly using Iron Hands rules because the Chaos rules were so goddamn bad the alternative was to just leave your mans in a closet to save everyone the time and hassle of dumpstering them. Even trying to get a photo of them for this article was a major chore until I remembered I painted one from the Deathwatch: Overkill box.

Were people running Chaos armies counts as loyalists or did you do that thing where people mix up the Iron Warriors and Iron Hands? Ferrus will be very cross if it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Inspector_666 posted:

Were people running Chaos armies counts as loyalists or did you do that thing where people mix up the Iron Warriors and Iron Hands? Ferrus will be very cross if it's the latter.

The former. Clan Raukaan was a late-6th splat book that added some Iron Hands bullshit where you could get a biker captain with a 2++ invulnerable save by stacking relics and pskyer powers, kind of an early version of the Smash Captain, so it was briefly on top of the meta but no one wanted to paint an entire army of them. I might not be remembering this right, because I don't care about the Iron Hands.

EDIT: I looked it up, it was a 3+/2++/4+FnP, with regenerating wounds, apparently. Christ, 6th/7th were stupid.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 26, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ANAmal.net posted:

The former. Clan Raukaan was a late-6th splat book that added some Iron Hands bullshit where you could get a biker captain with a 2++ invulnerable save by stacking relics and pskyer powers, kind of an early version of the Smash Captain, so it was briefly on top of the meta but no one wanted to paint an entire army of them. I might not be remembering this right, because I don't care about the Iron Hands.

EDIT: I looked it up, it was a 3+/2++/4+FnP, with regenerating wounds, apparently. Christ, 6th/7th were stupid.

I'm mad from just reading that, much less having to play against it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
oh don't worry just use your knight's stomp attack to bypass all of that.

it was a very good and well thought out rule, like salvo weapons.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Salvo weapons were an OK idea, inasmuch they were a precursor to getting "Rapid Fire [x]" as a weapon type or "moving and then shooting Heavy", but as was the fashion at the time, GW did an extremely lovely job with them and ruined the entire execution.

There's a lot in 6th/7th that was clearly them loving up very badly on the road to 8th - Formations were just lovely Detachments, Warlord Traits were too random to be good, and the Psychic phase was a mess top to bottom. It feels, in retrospect, like a system that should have never been released, and just refined the concepts until they figured out 8th edition.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just tossed together a Mega armored Big Mek with KFF out of the Ambot kit.

Anything else anything thinks this guy needs before I start painting?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

Just tossed together a Mega armored Big Mek with KFF out of the Ambot kit.

Anything else anything thinks this guy needs before I start painting?

I'd build up the legs a bit more. Add in some more ork plating and bits. I feel it could be a little more ramshackle.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The Iron Warrior Hands meme came from forum poster BULBASAUR. When we all started switching over to heresy he ran his iron warriors as counts-as Iron Hands with insane homebrew rules. We made fun of him so hard his brain became ruined and he started a new army in his rage

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JackMann posted:

I'd build up the legs a bit more. Add in some more ork plating and bits. I feel it could be a little more ramshackle.

I agree. More bulk, and maybe more spikes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
In my d fense my traitor legion had no rules for like 2 years. I ended up liking the IHs, too much

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

My legion had no rules for like 2 years. It was hard making the switch because I ended up liking them so much, even tho they are kinda bland

At least you landed on an army that has a dazzling, kaleidoscopic array of potential cheat implementations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I love my dumb army :shobon: If only they could ignore mishaps, that would really make them pro tier

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm looking forward to Warhammer Day, even though all I'm going to do is go in to buy the Sister of Battle and some of the contrast paint stuff.

I'm sort of uncertain on what to get, though. I thought about getting the Blood Angels Red and Iyanden Yellow to do some of the Blood Angels I primed white, and then paint up the Mark III Marines in Imperial Fist colors. However, I don't know whether I should buy more colors or different colors.

Mainly what I'm thinking about now is whether to get a can of Wraithbone, or just buy a pot of it. I've bought a few regular spray primers from the hardware store to prime my models. The last thing I did was use black primer on the Tech Priest Dominus from the AdMech box, but now I'm wondering if I should get the Wraithbone spray to do a top-down spray (zenithal, I guess?) so I can use contrast paint for it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
There's a core of contrast paints I think are useful in a lot of ways, it wouldn't hurt to grab stuff like skeleton horde and guilliman flesh, get your faces and purity seals done up right

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And I personally really like black templar on things like tubing and rifle casings, it settles really well into the crevices. Also space wolves grey makes blades look nice imo

But I'm also a mediocre painter at best, so ymmv

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

There's a core of contrast paints I think are useful in a lot of ways, it wouldn't hurt to grab stuff like skeleton horde and guilliman flesh, get your faces and purity seals done up right

TheBigAristotle posted:

And I personally really like black templar on things like tubing and rifle casings, it settles really well into the crevices. Also space wolves grey makes blades look nice imo

But I'm also a mediocre painter at best, so ymmv

You say that, but you're still a better painter than I am, in just by that fact that you've been doing it longer than I have (and if not, then you've probably got a better work ethic than I do).

I don't know about Skeleton Horde, since I have some of the bone color paints already (Zandri Dust, brown wash, and Ushabti Bone). I get I should pick up Guilliman, since I don't have any flesh tone paints as it is, and I'll probably have to faces or something fleshy eventually.

Black Templar seems like it works well. I'd feel foolish buying it since I have Vallejo Black, but it might save time and prevent stress when it comes to doing troops that are all black. Space Wolves Grey seems useful if you just need a grey for a sword or something, but if you're doing Space Wolves, the all-over coat makes the blue-tint show up a bit more.

This guy did a video on what he considered the "essential" contrast paints ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRS4tmXe0M ). I put "essential" in quotes not as slam, but because he doesn't really discount most of the colors; he just picks out the ones that have the most general use.

One thing I just realized is that I'll have to get a pot of Wraithbone anyway to fix mistakes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Has anyone done a swatch of the different contrast paints over leadbelcher? I’ve seen a few videos here and there of two or three colours, hoping someone’s wasted their time and money on doing a full set

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Improbable Lobster posted:

Iron Hands are my favs and I wish they had actually good rules

I remember back in '05 or so I went to a GW store and there was a dude there with a pile of parts on one of the tables. He decided to do Iron Hands but he wanted every model to have all the bionic parts so I think he special ordered ~50 of every part so he had an army of identical-looking, identically posed cyborgs that cost I don't know how many hundreds of dollars

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Filthy Hans posted:

I remember back in '05 or so I went to a GW store and there was a dude there with a pile of parts on one of the tables. He decided to do Iron Hands but he wanted every model to have all the bionic parts so I think he special ordered ~50 of every part so he had an army of identical-looking, identically posed cyborgs that cost I don't know how many hundreds of dollars

GW used to sell bits by the pound.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW used to sell bits by the pound.

They still do if you live in the UK

:razzy:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Little discovery - I really like the Contrast Space Wolf Grey as an alternative to a metallic.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Someone posted they liked using Talassar blue (or maybe the warp fiend green?) For Power Swords.

Was this technique just “base coat transition from grey to white and then glob on the contrast after”?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Someone posted they liked using Talassar blue (or maybe the warp fiend green?) For Power Swords.

Was this technique just “base coat transition from grey to white and then glob on the contrast after”?

It wasn't even that complicated. I based with Grey Knights silver, did a layer of runefang steel, and then globbed on contrast afterwards. On the contrast part I was generous with the globbing in the areas I wanted darker and then let up on the pressure in the parts I wanted lighter. Maybe it doesn't look that good in retrospect, but it's easy enough for my low skilled self to do.

Putting Talassar blue over those metallics gives it a kind of iridescent effect that I like.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Here's some tests I did with contrast on some Admech. Looking back I wish I had done a layer of lighter metal over the ledbelcher spray to brighten the red on the Armiger but I like the effect and I think that with some practice I can avoid the spotting and smudging.

https://imgur.com/a/72yPDeM

I also messed up the electro-priest by not putting a base coat down under the metallics because I usually skip it over a black base.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like em, what did you use for the handle and blade?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-post

richyp posted:

Another Thursday night, another speed painted Chapter. This week Salamanders

A bit sloppy but I only had 2 minutes to spare to keep it under 90mins. Mostly thinned contrast over DG green spray.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

BaronVanAwesome posted:

When I get home from work tonight I will take a pic of Talassar over metallics on my Imperial Fists. It is really vibrant and pops, I will totally be doing a thousand sons test model soon with it too for the armor.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Killer_Bees! posted:

When I get home from work tonight I will take a pic of Talassar over metallics on my Imperial Fists. It is really vibrant and pops, I will totally be doing a thousand sons test model soon with it too for the armor.

Thank you! Have been working on stuff for Kill Team which means a bunch of power weapons.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I like em, what did you use for the handle and blade?

Vallejo silver over Wraithbone with a nuln wash.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gaussian posted:

It wasn't even that complicated. I based with Grey Knights silver, did a layer of runefang steel, and then globbed on contrast afterwards. On the contrast part I was generous with the globbing in the areas I wanted darker and then let up on the pressure in the parts I wanted lighter. Maybe it doesn't look that good in retrospect, but it's easy enough for my low skilled self to do.

Putting Talassar blue over those metallics gives it a kind of iridescent effect that I like.

What's the Grey Knights Silver base paint like? I'm thinking about picking that up, since I'd like to do Grey Knights at some point, and doing the power swords like that sound interesting. However, I'm curious as to whether or not you apply a wash, or what color of wash you use.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I painted the burna boyz I had laying around, plus some assorted other boyz. I tried out the contrast paints for stuff like bones and leather and it worked quite well I think.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Max Wilco posted:

What's the Grey Knights Silver base paint like? I'm thinking about picking that up, since I'd like to do Grey Knights at some point, and doing the power swords like that sound interesting. However, I'm curious as to whether or not you apply a wash, or what color of wash you use.

No wash since I am a simpleton. I like the grey knights steel, it's like if leadbelcher and a thinned out drakenhoff nightshade had a baby. Coincidentally, I'm using it on some grey knights (I know they suck but I like how these particular space paladins look) and I think it looks great. The power sword effect really is as simple as: base with grey knight steel, layer with runefang (maybe stormhost silver would make it pop even more), and then carefully apply Talassar blue. Letting it pool produces a darker blue (obviously) like the darker blue parts in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7e4_-oRMtI&t=149s and spreading it out more thin replicates the lighter parts from that same video. Plus thanks to the metallic base it has a cool iridescent look to it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gaussian posted:

No wash since I am a simpleton. I like the grey knights steel, it's like if leadbelcher and a thinned out drakenhoff nightshade had a baby. Coincidentally, I'm using it on some grey knights (I know they suck but I like how these particular space paladins look) and I think it looks great. The power sword effect really is as simple as: base with grey knight steel, layer with runefang (maybe stormhost silver would make it pop even more), and then carefully apply Talassar blue. Letting it pool produces a darker blue (obviously) like the darker blue parts in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7e4_-oRMtI&t=149s and spreading it out more thin replicates the lighter parts from that same video. Plus thanks to the metallic base it has a cool iridescent look to it.

I was just curious about the wash, since it seems like a black wash would diminish the blue tint you get with Grey Knights Steel, but a blue wash with medium (which I guess is the traditional way of how you're supposed to do it) would be redundant or make it look too blue.

The power weapons are something I've not done myself yet, but the ways I've seen it done have put me off. The way Duncan does it in that video looks really nice, mind you, but it generally when I see it, it just doesn't look 'right'. I get it's supposed to be energy going through the blade, but sometimes it looks like a blue sword. I dunno; I have to take another look at some the examples I've seen to articulate on the issue.

Also don't feel bad, because I also like the look of the Grey Knights, but I know in the canon they're dumb and lame.
:ssh: I have another reason for wanting to get Grey Knights, or at least some of the bits for them, but I'd rather wait and show it off when I'm able to do it. I'll say it's for something due to release this year or next year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I switched my characters to '32 mm bases. It was a pain but not as much a pain as I expected. Not doing it for 25 models though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What happened to the GW that created this hero of the Last Chancers

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/%27Fingers%27_Vagin

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

I was just curious about the wash, since it seems like a black wash would diminish the blue tint you get with Grey Knights Steel, but a blue wash with medium (which I guess is the traditional way of how you're supposed to do it) would be redundant or make it look too blue.

Wash of nuln, and a very light wash/glaze of drakenhoff nightshade to bring the blue back out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

What happened to the GW that created this hero of the Last Chancers

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/%27Fingers%27_Vagin

My first exposure to 40k was the White Dwarf based on the last chancers release.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Eifert Posting posted:

My first exposure to 40k was the White Dwarf based on the last chancers release.

281pts for 12 basically normal guardsmen or 2 leman Russ ...

I'm taking last chancers every time

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The battle report in that magazine was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
How is tzeentch in 40k? I've started a disciple of tzeentch army in aos and I think I can use a lot of the models in both