Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

All of this, plus the 1099 bit, and a smattering of "gig economy" thrown around, and the years of experience for entry jobs (thx guys that mentioned that poo poo). All of that is why I get as high as I can before going into work.

It's that or I'm going to burn the goddamn building down with the bosses blocked inside by their cars jammed up against the doors with the work truck (lol dodge).

Can corporate America take an island vacation, all at once to the same island, so I can set fire to it and watch them choose, drown or burn?

I.......... Probably need to go back on my meds.

E: that's just the voice in my head rambling. I'm not going to burn anything. Well, besides joints.

Next time you come to Denver area hmu and we will have a beer/joint.

And totally not burn down my company that caters to way to much of what's wrong with America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I certainly am.

I accept my fate as second in line to the guillotines, right after landlords but before regular property owners.

I'm trying to move internationally because double taxation is worth not having to spend half of my income on basic childcare and healthcare expenses.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vasudus posted:

I certainly am.

I accept my fate as second in line to the guillotines, right after landlords but before regular property owners.

Same

I work for a bank, I own a house, I'll probably inherit a few million from my father

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Why are we having such trouble finding qualified candidates? We're doing everything right: we have virtually zero advertising of open positions; uncompetitive salary and benefits; and require applicants to have paid their own way for licenses/certificates/training before they come to us. Lousy millennials wanting everything handed to them on a silver platter..."
--the majority of industries in America right now

The mindset worked during the Great Recession, it must still work! Keep trying!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

Next time you come to Denver area hmu and we will have a beer/joint.

And totally not burn down my company that caters to way to much of what's wrong with America

Same if you swing down to the Springs. It's not as bad as everyone says it is here.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That trucker is so good at killing Marines the VA should offer him a job

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

That trucker is so good at killing Marines the VA should offer him a job

boeing already has dibs on him for the next generation of osprey

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Why are we having such trouble finding qualified candidates? We're doing everything right: we have virtually zero advertising of open positions; uncompetitive salary and benefits; and require applicants to have paid their own way for licenses/certificates/training before they come to us. Lousy millennials wanting everything handed to them on a silver platter..."
--the majority of industries in America right now

IT.txt

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

I'm trying to move internationally because double taxation is worth not having to spend half of my income on basic childcare and healthcare expenses.

It isn't worth it though, because it can cost you hundreds of grand to maintain that lifestyle and it's a huge FYGM to anyone not wealthy enough to afford just leaving.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'd argue IT is one of the few industries that has experienced wage increases in response to short supply, since companies can't really afford to skimp on it and there's intense competition among companies to hire away candidates.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

psydude posted:

I'd argue IT is one of the few industries that has experienced wage increases in response to short supply, since companies can't really afford to skimp on it and there's intense competition among companies to hire away candidates.

Looks like you haven’t had to sort through a sea of H1B bait and vacancies written by HR managers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

psydude posted:

I think this is true in the cleared sector but not so much in the rest especially at the lower end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Looks like you haven’t had to sort through a sea of H1B bait and vacancies written by HR managers.

These have always been issues in technology hiring, though. It's not hard to filter out.

LingcodKilla posted:

I think this is true in the cleared sector but not so much in the rest especially at the lower end.

Especially for internal IT operations positions, I'd definitely agree, since the entire industry is moving toward managed services. But even those services companies are competing for a small pool of talent and are even lowering barriers to entry: I know people getting hired directly into support positions straight out of college without anything but a degree, which is something that I definitely didn't see 10 years ago.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 28, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Woof Blitzer posted:

Dr. FAUXTON is basically a priority candidate wherever she applies because she's a US citizen, but hoo-boy some of those postings she's been looking through are so badly written it's hilarious.

Ok so they need a vaccine researcher, usual stuff about relevant experience and education, but then "must be familiar and comfortable with business flows and project needs, ability to interface with sales and marketing" like they will ever do anything more than asking her to write things about science for them to say at meetings and you absolutely know someone with a seat in the suite asked to have that thrown in at the last minute and nobody cared how it sounded lol.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

psydude posted:

I'll never tire of telling people I have more money left over now that I dont live in America and have to pay for health insurance. hell, my income tax now is what, 39% or something and I get shitloads back. I also earn less but still have more.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/future-of-work-expertise-navy/590647/

Or you could go the opposite direction and claim that experience of any kind is useless. This is a great idea and will maximize our ability to fire employees and replace them with teenagers the moment they have a health issue or ask for a raise exploit the mental plasticity and creativity of our workforce!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its worth noting that while some IT jobs have seen increases, jobs that used to be high level, high pay like programming are steadily becoming blue collar.

IT Security is one of the few places I know where increases are still common, both because lack of manning, and because usually to be GOOD at IT security, you have to be rather riskier than a Systems Engineer and have a deeper all around knowledge versus most IT jobs.

We have a couple college interns with us who are going to school for Cybersecurity (lol, Cyber), and what they are telling us that they are taught is pretty distressing: They are not really getting much applicable knowledge, lots of book theory, but nothing hard and hands on.

Most of my Security knowledge was from breaking things, setting up honeypots, learning from people breaking into my systems, my labs, and malicious file research. They really are not teaching them anything. I think it will take a while for Security manpower to really take off.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 28, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth noting that while some IT jobs have seen increases, jobs that used to be high level, high pay like programming are steadily becoming blue collar.

IT Security is one of the few places I know where increases are still common, both because lack of manning, and because usually to be GOOD at IT security, you have to be rather riskier than a Systems Engineer and have a deeper all around knowledge versus most IT jobs.

We have a couple college interns with us who are going to school for Cybersecurity (lol, Cyber), and what they are telling us that they are taught is pretty distressing: They are not really getting much applicable knowledge, lots of book theory, but nothing hard and hands on.

Most of my Security knowledge was from breaking things, setting up honeypots, learning from people breaking into my systems, my labs, and malicious file research. They really are not teaching them anything. I think it will take a while for Security manpower to really take off.

This is why I'm taking the Security+ exam July 29th. Gotta do something to make sure I get a job after I graduate.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

LongDarkNight posted:

Am I a class traitor?

Aren't all people dumb enough to serve in the military?

It's why we're broke-brained now. We're trying to reconcile.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Woof Blitzer posted:

Does H1B bait even still work in a post- Trump environment?

I got derailed off my F1-EAC-to-H1B track post election because corporate HQs across the US were freaking out over the administration promising to shut that pipeline down.

To be fair, I fully assume that business went back to usual as soon as people realized the administration was incompetent, but still...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

since companies can't really afford to skimp on it

:raise:

I mean I get what you're going for in that there are consequences for doing so but, well, long term thinking isn't exactly a strong suit in this environment.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

CommieGIR posted:

~Cybersecurity~ programs at schools are trash, with very few exceptions. I took 2 or 3 Cybersecurity program courses for my master's, and I still feel I am owed a refund even if the GI Bill covered it all.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Does H1B bait even still work in a post- Trump environment?

I got derailed off my F1-EAC-to-H1B track post election because corporate HQs across the US were freaking out over the administration promising to shut that pipeline down.

To be fair, I fully assume that business went back to usual as soon as people realized the administration was incompetent, but still...

I see a million Cognizant/etc. people every day so yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

:raise:

I mean I get what you're going for in that there are consequences for doing so but, well, long term thinking isn't exactly a strong suit in this environment.

To be fair, I've spent the past couple of years working in controls automation security, so I've (thankfully) been away from enterprise security. A lot of industries (and countries, in some cases) were caught completely offguard and unprotected from poo poo like NotPetya, so they're freaking out right now and scrambling to find a fix in order to protect their bottom line. It's a stark contrast to the normal approach to security, which is strictly to cover their own rear end.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 28, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1144311377999384576?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They add for profit prisons and I’ll consider it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was protesting in front of Bank of America two weeks ago because they fired janitors who tried to organize a union.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vriess posted:

Aren't all people dumb enough to serve in the military?

It's why we're broke-brained now. We're trying to reconcile.

It's all the "you're gonna blow up a bunch of poo poo" and then they never let us blow up poo poo.

There were times, involving explosives, that I was in more danger on a jobsite than in the army. Not a lot, but I never stood next to bridges being demolished with directional charges in the army, or along a bench cut in a stone quarry. Or anywhere near some of the idiots the ATF allows to handle explosives in the South (some genuinely good blasters out there though). And all I did at those jobs was seismicity monitoring and damage control. That job was way more boring than it sounds, just like trimming weed.

In actuality we're all broken for different reasons. I have my handle on my back, the tipped jar of marbles, that's another story. Maybe partaking in morally questionable wars does gently caress with heads. Who'd have thunk.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok. Somebody straighten me out here.

Republicans: give us more border money or we'll keep torturing these children.

SA: loving Democrats!!

Trump: cheats, breaks laws and norms, controls the sentate and everything else other than the house.

SA: loving Democrats!!!

Me: joins union after I get out, buys house

SA: get in line for the guillotine!!

What in the hell is going on here? The last one is straight up crabs in a bucket bullshit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bird cooch posted:

Trump: cheats, breaks laws and norms, controls the sentate and everything else other than the house.

What in the hell is going on here? The last one is straight up crabs in a bucket bullshit.

Did somebody say crabs?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bird cooch posted:

what

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't know what the last one is about, but for the first two, I would like an actual opposition party. I already believe the republicans are irredeemable scum. My level of mad at the republicans is at maximum, and has been since the Iraq war. Imagine if Schumer fought for kids in cages as hard as Mitch fights for low tax rates on the wealthy. Imagine if Pelosi wanted to hamstring Trump as much as the republicans hamstrung Obama. Imagine if anyone in democratic leadership learned anything from Iraq as the admin clowns stumble over rakes in their drunken march to war with Iran.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bird cooch posted:

The step you’re missing in each of those is Democrats expressing Concern and calling for Investigations but not actually doing anything effective against Trump, and certainly not calling for impeachment. Also after the Dems folded like a cheap suit yesterday, I’m having a hard time being enthusiastic about them either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird cooch posted:

stdh.txt

Unless maybe posting in one of the more irony/hyperbole happy forums.

Although lmbo at the landlords getting all pissed off and then the landlord thread being closed in the finances subforum.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We don't need to keep bitching about how the Republicans are evil and what they're doing would make Cobra Commander blush, it's pretty well established by now and doesn't add anything to the conversation. That leaves us with the Democrats who are ostensibly "fighting the good fight" but are so weak willed and thin skinned that we get frustrated that they aren't doing the job we think they should be doing, which is why fighting back against actual evil.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mlmp08 posted:

stdh.txt

Although lmbo at the landlords getting all pissed off and then the landlord thread being closed in the finances subforum.

Maybe they're a landlord and they're misrepresenting poo poo? That's my only explanation for that one

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

I’m enrolling in my local community colleges Cybersecurity program, and trying to learn all can about Security. Mind sharing your path in IT security?

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 28, 2019

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Man, that's like Mugabe saying he won't do business with Nestlé any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

stdh.txt

I'm pretty sure it was on the last page

Edit: must have been d&d which is now LF-light

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 28, 2019