Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Raygereio posted:

Do you have more details? Because that shouldn't be possible.
Using Skyrim VR, I had a crash right before the main menu. Tried everything to fix it; removing a bunch of mods at once, removing recent mods, even just running the game vanilla. Still crashed at the same spot without using the skse loader (run from steam) , which is why it took me so long to figure out the problem. I saw someone mention Simply Knock crashing their game, and after deleting the .dll, everything worked.

Didn't make sense to me either, but it should be easy to reproduce since Simply Knock doesn't work with SkyrimVR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

If you haven't already, remember to grab the updated Simply Knock SKSE64 DLL

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bony tony posted:

There's this for OG Skyrim, but I don't know if there are similar mods for Special Edition.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar that one would work if you unpack and then delete the BSA. Cathedral Assets Optimizer can do that.

Actually that's an SSE mod, what the hey?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 28, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

bony tony posted:

There's this for OG Skyrim, but I don't know if there are similar mods for Special Edition.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm not 100% certain, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar that one would work if you unpack and then delete the BSA. Cathedral Assets Optimizer can do that.

Actually that's an SSE mod, what the hey?

Hah. Thanks friends, google was not helping.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Iequip is out guys. Been waiting a long time for its release, I hope its all geared up features work well.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27008?tab=description

Midig fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 29, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i am tim! posted:

Wow. That’s a shockingly accurate description. Maybe this was made by a person that had their sexual awakening with Oblivion?

honestly this is the only way that most female face overhaul mods for skyrim or fo4 existing make sense to me

they either look straight outta cyrodiil or about the quality of an oblivion mod at the time would be

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Getting back into Skyrim (SE, now) after uhhh 4 years :shobon:

There are a number of mods in the "mandatory" section of the OP that don't seem to have SE versions, should I be concerned about that? (Crash/Bug fixes, ENBoost, Wiseman's Flora, among others)

What I'm planning on using (with Mod Organizer)
USSEP
SkyUI
skse64
Enchantment Reload
Archery Gameplay Overhaul
Armor & Clothing extension
Cats in Skyrim ( :3: )
Quickloot
Quality world map
Apocalypse
Better stealth AI for followers
Cutting room floor
Dragon Stalking Fix
ExtensibleNether's Follower Framework, cheers Berke Negri
Interesting NPCs
Faction crossbows
Common Clothes
Immersive Animations
Follower commentary overhaul
Fus Ro D'oh
Haafinheim
Immersive Armors
Lore loading screens
Modern Brawl Bug Fix
Quick Loot
Skill Uncapper
Thunderchild
Wearable Lantern
Weapons Armor Clothing Clutter fixes
The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Alternate Start LAL Remembered I forgot that one when I fired it up to a wagon pinwheeling along the ground :v:
Some ENB, PhoenixVivid ENB-Reshade looks good as does Mythical

Questions/WTF's:
Apocalypse asserts it needs a SPERG compatibility patch, but I don't see one on it or on SPERG's nexus page Ed- This seems to be baked into SPERG now?
What's the current hotness for weather, ambient sound, and lighting?
Likewise the current hotness for ENBs? I'd ideally like something that's a bit more saturated than vanilla and removes some haze/dinge without going full ham and blowing out every last piece of white.
Ed- LOOT is mentioning I need a compatibility patch that doesn't exist anywhere but in this not-up-to-date Qwinn's patch compendium, is that really a thing?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

again just want to recommend Nether's Follower Framework

don't let all the dumb waifu pictures in the mod page dissuade you, it's actually really good and actively being updated unlike EFF and AFT for special edition

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Berke Negri posted:

again just want to recommend Nether's Follower Framework

don't let all the dumb waifu pictures in the mod page dissuade you, it's actually really good and actively being updated unlike EFF and AFT for special edition

Just looking at the feature list I believe I see a few things there that iirc frustrated me with EFF (Sandboxing multi level homes for example), I"ll give it a shot, thanks :)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

also you can set roles for followers like dps/tank/healer and it actually works (tank role has a unique taunt ability, healer has sliders you can customize when to cast healing spells on PC/follower/allies if magicka is available) and i think EFF and AFT never really got healer followers working so that alone is a good feature

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

This is a perfect example of mods making the game objectively worse.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27053?tab=posts

The game designers were smart enough to know that paralysis is a fun mechanic to use, but not a fun mechanic to deal with (and seriously how). The modding scene is just full of people not taking any time to consider if maybe some things are the way they are because they actually though about it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

thats kind of the nature of mods

a hypothetically indefinite timeline of people working for free able to task tackle elements in a game that would not be possible in an actual production timeframe with its related costs and ship goals cause no one is getting paid and there's no deadline looming overhead

or people that are like what if we just made things worse because i have no idea what fun is

edit: or, what if i put tits on this spider

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
See also the high level enemies mod giving the bullseye perk to its high level versions of bandit archers. Though that at least has a tendency to launch you long distances through the air in hilarious fashion.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The thing is, you would assume that with no deadline, things would be better. I can think of many things that are easily better, such as boring 5/5 perk system, the bad light-armor/heavy-armor and one-handed/two-handed system, complete lack of dps scaling with magic, entirely useless pickpocket, lockpicking and speech skill trees. In fact when I mention that, only the blocking tree has skills that are both good to have and provide neat and unique bonuses that makes the usage of shields more fun. There is tons of things that are easily detectable, but being completely paralyzed. No fun, no real way for the player to react to it, to do anything while paralyzed.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I don't have it handy but I read a depressing article a while back about brutally hard games connected with a trend in gamers' tendency to measure a game's worth in hours consumed playing it; I'd think modders adding tedium and bad mechanics in the name of difficulty lines up with that.

Re: my earlier post, Skyrim started right up but lol nothing works but looking up and down

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Midig posted:

The thing is, you would assume that with no deadline, things would be better. I can think of many things that are easily better, such as boring 5/5 perk system, the bad light-armor/heavy-armor and one-handed/two-handed system, complete lack of dps scaling with magic, entirely useless pickpocket, lockpicking and speech skill trees. In fact when I mention that, only the blocking tree has skills that are both good to have and provide neat and unique bonuses that makes the usage of shields more fun. There is tons of things that are easily detectable, but being completely paralyzed. No fun, no real way for the player to react to it, to do anything while paralyzed.

thing is, being able to work the creation kit does not mean you have any clue how to make a game, only to change a game

also anyone can do it so you get a high crap to actually good ratio thats just to be expected

98% of nexus mods are just nude mods and character presets no one asked for

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

To be fair, some under the hood stuff is hard to anticipate unless you read documentation or were told about it, just looking at this review of DUEL (a fairly popular combat mod during early stages of Skyrim modding) you can totally see what the mod creator was going for, but since he had no idea how the CK worked (and in how many ways it fails) his mod just either does nothing or the opposite of what it intends to do.

https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques/duel

Which is why I just got schooled on how useless my armor buffs would be for my own mod. Seriously any advice on that at all would be greatly appreciated. Anything from personal opinion, under the hood advice, the fantasy of what it should feel like to play that race etc.

I want to contribute, but not by adding more crap into the mix.

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 1, 2019

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Midig posted:

This is a perfect example of mods making the game objectively worse.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27053?tab=posts

The game designers were smart enough to know that paralysis is a fun mechanic to use, but not a fun mechanic to deal with (and seriously how). The modding scene is just full of people not taking any time to consider if maybe some things are the way they are because they actually though about it.

Ironically the game developers made the exact opposite mistake in allowing NPCs to do kill moves on the player, with the added bonus of ignoring your armour

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So after combing my list and realizing I accidentally installed one single non-SE mod and squaring that away I've ended up with this. The only things I think I really need right now are:
-Some way to normalize the mouse sensitivity in the UI with the game (every loving Bethesda game has this problem it seems)
-Aforementioned weather/atmospheric sound/lighting updates

pre:
#Mod_Priority,#Mod_Name
"0003","9.0.1 A Quality World Map - Vivid with Flat Roads"
"0042","Alternate Start - Live Another Life"
"0004","Apocalypse"
"0043","Archery Gameplay Overhaul SE"
"0005","Armor and Clothing Extension"
"0006","Better Stealth AI for Followers"
"0007","Book Covers Skyrim SE - Lost Library - Original"
"0008","Book Covers Skyrim SE - Original.7z"
"0009","Brigandage Craft Dialogue LL"
"0010","Brigandage v4.0 by Franklin Zunge for SSE"
"0011","Cats in Skyrim"
"0039","Cloaks of Skyrim SSE"
"0012","Common Clothes 2K Assets"
"0013","Common Clothes ESP- NPC Level List Distribution and Armor Craftable"
"0014","Cutting Room Floor"
"0002","DLC: Dawnguard"
"0001","DLC: Dragonborn"
"0000","DLC: HearthFires"
"0015","Dragon Stalking Fix"
"0016","Enchantment Reload Fix SE"
"0017","Faction Crossbows SE"
"0018","Follower Commentary Overhaul SE - FCO SE v1.0"
"0019","Fuz Ro D'oh"
"0020","Haafinheim 1.1"
"0021","HookShareSSE"
"0022","Immersive Animations"
"0023","Immersive Armors 8.1 SSE Test"
"0024","Interesting NPCs SSE 3.42"
"0025","Lore-Based Loading Screens 1.3 SE"
"0026","Nether's Follower Framework"
"0027","PapyrusUtil SE - Scripting Utility Functions"
"0040","QUASIPC - Qwinn's Unified Automated Self Installing Patch Compendium"
"0041","RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition - 2K"
"0028","ScaleformTranslationPP"
"0029","Skyrim Skill Uncapper"
"0030","SkyUI 5 2 SE"
"0031","SPERG - Skyrim Perk Enhancements and Rebalanced Gameplay SSE Port"
"0032","Static Mesh Improvement Mod"
"0033","The Paarthurnax Dilemma"
"0034","Thunderchild"
"0035","UIExtensions"
"0036","Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch"
"0037","Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes"
"0038","Wearable Lanterns 4.0.3 Release"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

BBJoey posted:

Ironically the game developers made the exact opposite mistake in allowing NPCs to do kill moves on the player, with the added bonus of ignoring your armour

this is why its such a tremendous pain in the rear end fighting anyone with a heavy weapon

or high level dragons which insta kill you at melee range at like 50% health

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the yeti posted:

So after combing my list and realizing I accidentally installed one single non-SE mod and squaring that away I've ended up with this. The only things I think I really need right now are:
-Some way to normalize the mouse sensitivity in the UI with the game (every loving Bethesda game has this problem it seems)
-Aforementioned weather/atmospheric sound/lighting updates

What was the non-SE mod? I've found that many of them work right out of the box, and those that don't are fairly simple to convert.

Also, somebody earlier in the thread recommended Obsidian for weather, and I've been really pleased with it so far.

Berke Negri posted:

this is why its such a tremendous pain in the rear end fighting anyone with a heavy weapon

or high level dragons which insta kill you at melee range at like 50% health

Install VioLens, disable killmoves on the player.

EDIT: Also, I'm currently working on a mod that will limit the number of Lockpicks the player can carry. I think this will make lockpicking much more interesting, since you won't just be able to throw a million lockpicks at a master level lock. Does this sound interesting to anyone else? This was a feature of Grimy's Utilities for Oldrim, but since that's apparently never going to be ported...

Double Edit: Also, this cloudflare DDoS protection on CreationKit.com is real loving annoying.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 1, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, I'm currently working on a mod that will limit the number of Lockpicks the player can carry. I think this will make lockpicking much more interesting, since you won't just be able to throw a million lockpicks at a master level lock. Does this sound interesting to anyone else? This was a feature of Grimy's Utilities for Oldrim, but since that's apparently never going to be ported...

speaking of mods that are no fun

best i can think of is maybe make lock picking more interesting otherwise its just a dumb handicap

edit: like whats the max cause even on masters knowing what im doing 20 is still fine. skill caps instead (need to be 75 in lockpicking etc) seems better course

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 1, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

thats how the recent fallouts have done it, you need to be a certain rank to tackle things lockpicking wise, that sounds better than like you can only keep 10 lock picks on hand (as youre carrying 70 swords or something)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The issue with that is that lockpicking doesn't get easier when your skill increases, you just have to be THIS tall to enter. It can get tedious, especially when the player doesn't assign skill points themselves. So to be able to take on an Adept lock you need to grind on Apprentice locks for a long time to get enough skill points.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lockpicking as implemented in Bethesda games is a design dead end. Honestly I feel like the starting point for revamping the system is removing the minigame but I feel that wouldn’t be popular.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

speaking of mods that are no fun

best i can think of is maybe make lock picking more interesting otherwise its just a dumb handicap

edit: like whats the max cause even on masters knowing what im doing 20 is still fine. skill caps instead (need to be 75 in lockpicking etc) seems better course

It's going to be configurable, and I'm thinking of building it into a more comprehensive lockpicking overhaul, consisting of:

• Limiting the number of lockpicks you can carry. (Configurable, 25 was actually the number I was thinking of as a default.)
  • Making lockpicks far more scarce and valuable than vanilla. (Configurable.)
  • Making it so breaking a lockpick had a chance of kicking you out of the lockpicking screen and making a small noise that might alert enemies (Optional.)*
  • Incorporating the functions of this Oldrim mod, basically removing the lock level information from where the player can see it.
  • Optional rank-based lockouts, like Fallout does.
  • Implementing an option for Morrowind-style lockpicking, where you just activate a lock with a percentage chance of unlocking it, rather than using the minigame.

* this idea grew out of a comedy option idea to have the player swear when breaking a pick.

BBJoey posted:

Lockpicking as implemented in Bethesda games is a design dead end. Honestly I feel like the starting point for revamping the system is removing the minigame but I feel that wouldn’t be popular.

I actually like the minigame. If I had the programming/artistic talent, I would mod it so different kinds of locks had different lockpicking minigames, but I don't.

Edit: I get the feeling, a lot of the time actually, that a lot of the people in these threads don't actually like Bethesda games.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 1, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

It's going to be configurable, and I'm thinking of building it into a more comprehensive lockpicking overhaul, consisting of:

• Limiting the number of lockpicks you can carry. (Configurable, 25 was actually the number I was thinking of as a default.)
  • Making lockpicks far more scarce and valuable than vanilla. (Configurable.)
  • Making it so breaking a lockpick had a chance of kicking you out of the lockpicking screen and making a small noise that might alert enemies (Optional.)*
  • Incorporating the functions of this Oldrim mod, basically removing the lock level information from where the player can see it.
  • Optional rank-based lockouts, like Fallout does.
  • Implementing an option for Morrowind-style lockpicking, where you just activate a lock with a percentage chance of unlocking it, rather than using the minigame.

The other ideas are okay, but the limit is just arbitrary and really doesn't fit with the rest of the game. You can carry 200 dragonbone warhammers with no penalty other than not being able to run, but a mystical force prevents you from putting one more thin metal stick in your bag? It breaks from the game's normal mechanics without the excuse of being for "realism", so it's the worst of both worlds IMO.

Making them rarer and more expensive is a much better way to reduce the amount a player will carry, because that works with the game mechanics instead of working against them.

Another thing you could do is have a slight chance that when a pick is broken in the lock, the lock is now jammed. It'd kick you out of the lockpicking screen and increase the difficulty of further lockpicking attempts. Combined with some system where you can only pick locks that have a level no more than, say, 25 points above your lockpicking skill level, it could result in a lock becoming unpickable, at least not without the player buffing their lockpicking skill first.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I agree with Cat Mattress about everything but the arbitrary limit on lockpicks sounds like a good idea. If you're really married to that idea, I'd suggest making it optional in the mod's settings.

Maybe also make lockpicks contraband, so they always count as stolen goods and are only sold by Khajiit caravans, Thieves' Guild merchants, and the like. I know cops in the real world tend to frown upon folks possessing them.

Count me as another person who actually likes the minigame, especially compared to the Morrowind route of "click mouse button and pray to RNG". In fact, the amount of RNG in Morrowind was a big reason for why I never got that far in the game.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Agents are GO! posted:

What was the non-SE mod? I've found that many of them work right out of the box, and those that don't are fairly simple to convert.

Also, somebody earlier in the thread recommended Obsidian for weather, and I've been really pleased with it so far.

It was Archery overhaul as best I could tell—with the non SE one installed my guy was frozen in t-pose after alt start spits you out in that basement, and everything worked fine after removing it and getting the SE version.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe also make lockpicks contraband, so they always count as stolen goods and are only sold by Khajiit caravans, Thieves' Guild merchants, and the like. I know cops in the real world tend to frown upon folks possessing them.

That's a really good idea actually. If you're a fine upstanding member of society, why would you prod around other people's stuff?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bony tony posted:

That's a really good idea actually. If you're a fine upstanding member of society, why would you prod around other people's stuff?
It always seemed a little weird to me that every blacksmith and general store owner sells lockpicks and no guards go "hey we just caught you stealing, maybe we should take these 50 lockpicks we found while confiscating all your ill gotten gains".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think they call that "malicious intent".

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It might be too fiddly/pedantic but could you create a spread of items comprising a lockpicking kit with specific benefits (sweet spot larger, picks break less often, etc) and make using just the consumable pick itself commensurately harder? Thinking of the alchemy equipment in Oblivion a bit here.

I definitely agree that lockpicking mini games are awful, and the fallout3/4/Skyrim rotating game in particular is a flat out waste of time. The contraband idea is excellent too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

the yeti posted:

I definitely agree that lockpicking mini games are awful, and the fallout3/4/Skyrim rotating game in particular is a flat out waste of time.
To be honest: A lot of talk about how the lockpicking could be "improved" sounds like a far bigger waste of time. And firmly falls into the "poo poo that may sound engaging when theorizing, but will proof to dumb and tedious in actual gameplay"-territory for me.

Lockpicking in a game like Skyrim needs to be something that's acceptable not just once, but hundreds to thousands of times. The lockpicking minigame as it is works well because it's fast and it can be practically done on auto-pilot once you get the hang of it. Adding various levels of complexity just gets in the way.
I mean Oblivion's lockpicking was poo poo because even if you were good at it and could pick up the audio/visual cues, it was still a slow game that required you paying relatively a lot of attention (more then the rest of the gameplay required). That's fine for the first few locks, but after that you look at a chest and think "It's 22:00, I'm playing this to unwind after work. I don't want to spend 2 minutes carefully watching the falling speed of those tumblers".

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You see what Skyrim really needs is the Oblivion Persuasion wheel wait no come back

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Raygereio posted:

To be honest: A lot of talk about how the lockpicking could be "improved" sounds like a far bigger waste of time. And firmly falls into the "poo poo that may sound engaging when theorizing, but will proof to dumb and tedious in actual gameplay"-territory for me.

That’s very true and my post was a little contradictory in that respect, that’s my fault; I’d assert that ideally you have one of two approaches: either lock picking takes less time than it does now (e.g., silent skill check on activating a locked container) OR you make it a more elaborate mini game type thing and up the value of stuff in locked containers enough to make it interesting/exciting, and add perks to make easier locks free as you skill up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

I agree with Cat Mattress about everything but the arbitrary limit on lockpicks sounds like a good idea. If you're really married to that idea, I'd suggest making it optional in the mod's settings.

Count me as another person who actually likes the minigame, especially compared to the Morrowind route of "click mouse button and pray to RNG". In fact, the amount of RNG in Morrowind was a big reason for why I never got that far in the game.

Yeah, thats the thing, all of these are going to be optional, controlled through setting global variables in the console an MCM once I figure that poo poo out. I have a proof of concept mostly working.

Mostly. :smithicide:

I'm trying to get the scripted gold value/weight changes to reapply after saving. So far it's not working correctly.

Raygereio posted:

Lockpicking in a game like Skyrim needs to be something that's acceptable not just once, but hundreds to thousands of times. The lockpicking minigame as it is works well because it's fast and it can be practically done on auto-pilot once you get the hang of it. Adding various levels of complexity just gets in the way.
I mean Oblivion's lockpicking was poo poo because even if you were good at it and could pick up the audio/visual cues, it was still a slow game that required you paying relatively a lot of attention (more then the rest of the gameplay required). That's fine for the first few locks, but after that you look at a chest and think "It's 22:00, I'm playing this to unwind after work. I don't want to spend 2 minutes carefully watching the falling speed of those tumblers".

This is all very cogent. I play Skyrim and Morrowind for very different experiences.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Skyrim is at its core a game about picking stuff up, and anything that puts up barriers between you and the stuff is bad.

Joking aside, if you remove the minigame you lose another thiefy skill. It'll be more streamlined, but something is lost at the same time. The interactivity of the Elder Scrolls games is one of the main features after all.

I'm down with creating more complexity (through lockpicking tools, a silent skill check, or whatever), but it's also important to let people opt out of fun. Maybe there should be an Unlocking spell.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 1, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My dream Elder Scrolls levelling system is a system where we have individual perk trees just like Skyrim, but each tree is a class from the older games instead of a skill. So a knight tree, thief tree, scout tree, battlemage tree, and so on. And each tree's perks can be mixed and matched together to form the ideal class, ideally with zero "+5% to make biscuits" skills. This system is basically a mix of what Skyrim has now with the Grim Dawn/Titan Quest system of levelling up. Then bring back attributes and just gives us, say 5 pts to distribute every level so folks aren't "gaming" what skills they use. Then you need to be able to track a lot more behaviors of the character to determine where invisible points are gathered so you can level up. Or just use experience pts. Maybe make it so if you pickpocket someone, you raise a "thief" point, and enough points and you can take a new perk in that tree. Breaking into someone's house at night? Points in the Burglar tree. Manage to block a blow with your shield while wearing Iron or Steel heavy armor? Point in the Knight or Crusader tree. poo poo like that. You can do a lot with a system that rewards player action and also rewards diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I played around with a mod that disables skill leveling from skill usage and replaces it with a conventional system that earns you EXP points for completing quests, combat, discovering/clearing locations etc. which you can spend to purchase skill levels directly.

It totally defeats one of the main unique draws of a TES game, but it was amazing how many of the balance and quality of life issues in vanilla Skyrim are easily solved or rendered N/A with a traditional EXP system. Sneak is no longer absurdly easy to level, crafting and armor skills are no longer a pain in the rear end without gamey grinding, and you're never stuck in a situation where you have to change your playstyle or do something illogical to make the kind of progress you want.