Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghostlight posted:

it is the worst.

This post cannot be correct in a world where Nemesis continues to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This post cannot be correct in a world where Nemesis continues to exist.

Nemesis is like a fan film that inexplicably had a huge budget and all of the actors from TNG agreed to do it. The instant they went on the go-kart rampage, I knew I was in for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where's the Star Trek kart racing game

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Blistex posted:

Nemesis is like a fan film that inexplicably had a huge budget and all of the actors from TNG agreed to do it. The instant they went on the go-kart rampage, I knew I was in for it.

Turns out Picard is just going to be about him dealing with the stress from space go karting and doing horse on the interstellar road

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Turns out Picard is just going to be about him dealing with the stress from space go karting and doing horse on the interstellar road

Patrick Stewart yelling WITNESS ME

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I really wish for a remake of Enterprise that focuses on Humans being extremely hosed-up newbies in space.

Earlier launch of an Enterprise that
- is mostly rigged-together from other stuff (maybe even some old missiles) and a few Vulcan gifts after the cooler looking sister ships were lost in space
-packs literally old nukes and has no shields whatsoever
- is crewed by people who still experienced WW3 and have a lot of experience in improvising - while still wnating to make the world a better place
-isn't always monitored by rear end in a top hat Vulcans. In fact the Vulcans could be more friendly, but also way too busy to hold our hands with their own crazy space poo poo exploding in their faces all the time.
- is in fact pretty lovely, but improves in performance as the crew literally bolts on better stuff they bought / scavenged / bartered with weird ETs.

They can still have a dog onboard for all I care.

So basically I want Star trek: Bebop?

edit: The ship could even have a Saucer section - from a crashed UFO. Tape it to the remains of a spce frighter and voila!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 28, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Didn't Enterprise establish that humans barely ventured outside the solar system before the NX-01 was launched?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ensign Expendable posted:

Didn't Enterprise establish that humans barely ventured outside the solar system before the NX-01 was launched?

Jep, as far as I remember in the Enterprise canon humanity spent several decades rebuilding and creating a generation of bland & clueless white middle-class people before they tried their hand on space travel. But see where that brougt us!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 28, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Remember how Enterprise was just a bunch of clueless white people and their black driver lol good times

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, so the famed freighter that formed the entire personality and backstory of the black guy didn't even leave the solar system?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tighclops posted:

Remember how Enterprise was just a bunch of clueless white people and their black driver lol good times

I always felt so bad for Hoshi because a linguistics expert supplementing the UT could be super fascinating, but the writers keep giving her aliens too complex to understand until they just stop bothering at all and suddenly the UT works perfectly.

The only time she really gets to show off her skills in the entire series is at the end when the Xindi decide "good at languages" means math too :cripes:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, so the famed freighter that formed the entire personality and backstory of the black guy didn't even leave the solar system?

They didn't have fast engines to go further.
What was funny was that this guy grew up in space, knew how to fly and fix ships, knew how to do business Neelix wise with the others doing the same, but was relegated to pressing the coords and engage button 99% of the time.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

No, it did. The idea behind Enterprise was that Earth had expanded beyond the solar system and had colonies on nearby worlds, but that while they had warp drive, Enterprise had the first Warp 5 drive, which meant it could go faster and further out than any of the other Earth ships.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
I even found a reason for the launch of USS lovely Enterprise:

Vulcans: "Hey humans we see you're trying to build your own warp 5 ship. This thing looks like it could explode every second, what about we gift you one of our small explorer ships (a bit downgraded of course)?

Humans: Yaaay! * Gather the best and brightest for the crew, prepares celebrated launch.*

Eugenic tyrants who have been living in hiding for a few decades space the crew, steal the ship and leave Earth - with the promise to return and reconquer what was taken from them (with the help of allies and new tech).

Humans: Welp...Time for the B-team and the ship that failed every space OSHA test!

Vulcans:

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 28, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bogus Adventure posted:

To be fair, though... Vulcans could be massive douchenozzles
Could be?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, there are almost no chill Vulcans in Star Trek. Most of them are always super passive-aggressive and barely hold back their loathing or anger.

I would love to see Vulcans that are doing a lot of meditation and self-work - or if you wanna keep things darker: have medication and implants - that make them truly emotionally neutral. More like Buddhist monks who have mastered this whole samsara business and have mostly left their ego behind, while still acting compassionate and enjoying things.

But then Star Trek is not really happy with any mindset outside of Western individualism, so :shrug:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

There was that one Vulcan engineer in Voyager who was pretty chill, I seem to recall.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Selar seemed chill, as was Vorik (aside from the whole pon farr debacle). Vorik is vvv

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There was that one Vulcan engineer in Voyager who was pretty chill, I seem to recall.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I mean he tried to rape B'ellana that time until she literally beat the Pon Farr out of him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Danaru posted:

I mean he tried to rape B'ellana that time until she literally beat the Pon Farr out of him

Isn’t that the same Vulcan from Lower Decks?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jesus. Do we ALL look the same to you?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, depends...

I didn't think they did so many half-naked scenes with T'Pol - who was responsible for that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SavageGentleman posted:

Well, depends...

I didn't think they did so many half-naked scenes with T'Pol - who was responsible for that?

:eyepop:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 28, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is that a Vulcan with extreme gender dysphoria?

naem
May 29, 2011

SavageGentleman posted:

Well, depends...

they were desperate for ratings

which may or may not have had a profound impact on an adolescent forums user Naem

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sorry, but Spock lacks an rear end

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It was pretty pathetic how low Enterprise was willing to go to get ratings and save UPN. I think Linda Park's expression sums up exactly how she was really feeling while Rick Berman was coming up with all these creepy amazing ideas for the show.

I don't think there was a single decon scene without T'pol or Hoshi in it. And now that I think about it, I believe that every main female character in the series (who had more than 5 minutes screen time) was at one point in some form of undress. Shran's wife stripped down to her underwear, the female Augment's costume was a ripped tank-top, and then you have orion slave girls, Risa whores, alternate universe Hoshi, T'pol every 15 minutes, etc.

It really played more like some sort of 90's sexy spy show than a real series that took place in the 21st century.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same actor, different character. Fun factoid from Memory Alpha, though:

Memory Alpha posted:

Vorik was played by actor Alexander Enberg, who had previously played the similarly-named Vulcan Ensign Taurik in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Lower Decks". Producer Jeri Taylor (who happens to be Enberg's mother) once suggested that Taurik and Vorik were twin brothers.

naem
May 29, 2011

Blistex posted:

It was pretty pathetic how low Enterprise was willing to go to get ratings and save UPN. I think Linda Park's expression sums up exactly how she was really feeling while Rick Berman was coming up with all these creepy amazing ideas for the show.

I don't think there was a single decon scene without T'pol or Hoshi in it. And now that I think about it, I believe that every main female character in the series (who had more than 5 minutes screen time) was at one point in some form of undress. Shran's wife stripped down to her underwear, the female Augment's costume was a ripped tank-top, and then you have orion slave girls, Risa whores, alternate universe Hoshi, T'pol every 15 minutes, etc.

It really played more like some sort of 90's sexy spy show than a real series that took place in the 21st century.

if you went into Enterprise with your guard down expecting more of TNG’s Nerdy Educational Space Positivity staring Captain Space Dad and His Well Meaning Friends and instead got Skimpy Space Ladies Incorporated, a lot of furrowed brows and awkward new feeling ensued

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I am so excited to finally see this actual episode

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

SavageGentleman posted:

Well, depends...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

That skirt!!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Danaru posted:

This episode is great because it's so much more than just a fight with a guy in a rubber suit. The opening works even better if you don't know that it's the Gorn episode.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Danaru posted:

I can’t see that picture without hearing the TOS fight music in my head

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delthalaz posted:

I can’t see that picture without hearing the TOS fight music in my head

that music doesn't even appear until the next season!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

hey what the gently caress is going on with this outfit

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Some one else touched on it but Enterpise was the first human warp five. They show some of the older Earth ships whenever it is home. I think the ship Travis grew up on did like 1.5 or 2 tops.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Danaru posted:

hey what the gently caress is going on with this outfit

Sailor Moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Blistex posted: