Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've played the PC version for many hours and a number of non-PC versions a fair bit as well, and if I'm being perfectly frank all non-PC versions seem like a consolation prize to me. Given that all mobile and console versions lag behind in terms of content, both built-in and user-made, and have far less intuitive controls (despite a lot of effort to make them user friendly), I don't see why anyone would play a non-computer version of the game unless they had no choice or a long commute. If people are having fun on any platform then grand, but it feels like a compromise to me.

The Switch version might be slightly improved by the touch screen, but given that the Nintendo Tax has pushed the cost up to 30 USD and the PC version can be had for 10, it's hard to recommend the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm actually pretty surprised the switch version wasn't 1.4

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Only ever played mobile and I'm painfully aware of how much I'm missing out. Never seen 1.3 features or mods, and as used to the controls as I am I think I would be mad at how much easier they become with keyboard/mouse.

So far I just can't bring myself to have Terraria on the same device I do work stuff on. Big commitment compared to just having it be on the device I can screw around with in a waiting room, and it lets my wife and I do multiplayer over wifi with literally zero setup compared to desktop.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I assume the switch version can't connect to dedicated servers?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised the switch version wasn't 1.4

Fake Edit: I was going to make a comment here about version differences, but after a bit of research I am thoroughly confused. As I understand it, the PC version is at 1.3.5.3 and eagerly awaiting 1.4 soon~ish while PS4/XBone are at 1.3.1 yet Switch is launching at 1.3.0.7 and I have no idea what mobile/3DS is. I know that most of this is probably wrong, but I tried to look everything up on Gamepedia and it basically did my head in.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
As long as Switch has Fishing I'm A-OK.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Fake Edit: I was going to make a comment here about version differences, but after a bit of research I am thoroughly confused. As I understand it, the PC version is at 1.3.5.3 and eagerly awaiting 1.4 soon~ish while PS4/XBone are at 1.3.1 yet Switch is launching at 1.3.0.7 and I have no idea what mobile/3DS is. I know that most of this is probably wrong, but I tried to look everything up on Gamepedia and it basically did my head in.

That's really odd because Red kept claiming that the Switch port was going to be the start of having all platforms on the same version.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

dis astranagant posted:

That's really odd because Red kept claiming that the Switch port was going to be the start of having all platforms on the same version.

That would be grand, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I tried to "crunch the numbers" on gamepedia and ended up thoroughly confused, so perhaps someone else could suss it out.

I know that 3DS and mobile versions are going to be limited by hardware specs, but I would assume that even being light on hardware wouldn't stop any version from having the same bosses, drops and so on, it would just lack things like Large worlds. I've always presumed that the lack of all versions not being the same is due to a case of can't-be-arsed rather than technical reasons, but if someone else knows otherwise than I am all ears.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I feel like part of the 1.4 delay is Red and team taking the time to finalize ALL releases to 1.4 in one big update

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a weird move to release in *prep* to push an update, but terraria can do weird moves

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm actually all fo(u)r (1.4, that is) the devs postponing release to polish something. It's become standard these days to release a product as a buggy mess and then fix it later, and I'm kind of tired of it. Bard's Tale IV was like that at release, they patched it like crazy and now they are releasing some sort of "Director's Cut" They are trying to make it sound grand, but I fancy that it's mostly their way of trying to reboot a game that was released unfinished.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm actually all fo(u)r (1.4, that is) the devs postponing release to polish something. It's become standard these days to release a product as a buggy mess and then fix it later, and I'm kind of tired of it. Bard's Tale IV was like that at release, they patched it like crazy and now they are releasing some sort of "Director's Cut" They are trying to make it sound grand, but I fancy that it's mostly their way of trying to reboot a game that was released unfinished.

This is literally what they did with Wasteland 2 so a hearty lol at them pulling that garbage again. Even the "fixed" version of Wasteland 2 was bad though, so hopefully this goes better.

Man, Terraria is refreshing in that all its patches are about adding rad stuff to an already good game rather than trying to make trash decent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Black August posted:

I feel like part of the 1.4 delay is Red and team taking the time to finalize ALL releases to 1.4 in one big update

Nah, Re-Logic doesn't handle the console/mobile ports.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I bought the switch version and the controls are really awkward compared to the pc. maybe it just takes getting used to but even stuff like putting down torches and placing blocks feels slow and unintuitive. I was looking forward to playing on the switch, like stardew valley transitioned nicely from the pc version. hope it gets better with practice.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cat Mattress, I kept.looking through your mods and I got to a point where I just started downloading without looking because we apparently have the exact same taste in mods!

Trip report edit: I can't tell if my world generation is hung, or if generating a large world with this many mods takes forever, but it's been like 10 minutes.

Edit Edit: It seems to be hung at "Drifting in Asteroids" Any idea which mod that is?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 30, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I had that same problem, but I'd added The Split. I turned The Split off and tried again and it went fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dracky posted:

I bought the switch version and the controls are really awkward compared to the pc. maybe it just takes getting used to but even stuff like putting down torches and placing blocks feels slow and unintuitive. I was looking forward to playing on the switch, like stardew valley transitioned nicely from the pc version. hope it gets better with practice.

The console/mobile controls are a real step down from pure keyboard and mouse. A lot of people only play on the consoles but I can't stand it.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Cat Mattress, I kept.looking through your mods and I got to a point where I just started downloading without looking because we apparently have the exact same taste in mods!

Trip report edit: I can't tell if my world generation is hung, or if generating a large world with this many mods takes forever, but it's been like 10 minutes.

Edit Edit: It seems to be hung at "Drifting in Asteroids" Any idea which mod that is?

Dunno if it is affecting you, but is Calamity mod the first in your list? If so, some people have been reporting that it hangs on world creation or something if it is the first mod loaded iirc.

Otherwise you can play the disable everything and enable 1 at a time (or the reverse) to try and figure it out.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Dunno if it is affecting you, but is Calamity mod the first in your list? If so, some people have been reporting that it hangs on world creation or something if it is the first mod loaded iirc.

Otherwise you can play the disable everything and enable 1 at a time (or the reverse) to try and figure it out.

Patware posted:

I had that same problem, but I'd added The Split. I turned The Split off and tried again and it went fine.

Apparently it was Antiaris. Disabled it and everything went peachy keen.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Peculiarity is the one that adds an asteroid biome, though I guess it's some weird mod conflict. I didn't have problems generating the world with that mod loadout, though it's true most of them have been updated since and perhaps the worldgen problem was introduced since.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I've got both Antiaris and Peculiarity running at the same time. Maybe it's some really weird artifact where something trips the first time you gen no matter what you've got.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Weird. Ah well there's enough content outside of Antiarus that it's fine.

So the only other thing I want that I can't seem to find is just a mod that makes bosses drop expert bags in normal mode. I like this game, but I'm bad at video games and would like all the rewards with none of the added bullshit difficulty.

Does this exist?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Reduced Grinding has an expert change potion which you can use to switch the world back and forth. So you can have a normal world, switch to expert to defeat a boss once you are confident you can punk it even with increased difficulty, get the expert bag, and then switch back to normal.

Also one of the Alchemist NPC characters (the operator) sells treasure bags for the bosses you've defeated already.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

Reduced Grinding has an expert change potion which you can use to switch the world back and forth. So you can have a normal world, switch to expert to defeat a boss once you are confident you can punk it even with increased difficulty, get the expert bag, and then switch back to normal.

Also one of the Alchemist NPC characters (the operator) sells treasure bags for the bosses you've defeated already.

I wish that there were more of this, not just in Terraria but in all sorts of RPG-type games. Random drops are bollocks and I'm very much in favour of everything being discrete challenges with discrete rewards. This sounds like a good mod that I will definitely keep in mind, but "kill a very hard thing and then get random loot that one doesn't give two fucks about" is a sacred cow that needs to be sacrificed to the gods of decent game design.

To answer the unspoken question, yes I have played too many lovely MMOs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Discrete rewards just means everything gets gamed and the game is over before you know it. I think you have to have random drops for games to have any legs.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mayveena posted:

Discrete rewards just means everything gets gamed and the game is over before you know it. I think you have to have random drops for games to have any legs.

Yeah, this is why I like imkSushi's mod. It adds game stage specific tokens that have a chance to drop from any enemy, and the tokens can be crafted into the various rare chest, mob and invasion drops. Later tokens can be crafted to earlier ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth mod did I install that named the guide Ben Shapiro?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I -loving- hate Ben Shapiro, but that's pretty funny.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

More importantly, did it make him 14 pixels shorter than everyone too?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Calamity.

If that happens, get a guide voodoo doll.

Alternatively, if you have Fargo's mutant mod, get a bug net. Capture the guide, then release him back, and he'll get a new name. (Yes for some reason Fargo's mutant mod lets you capture all vanilla town NPCs, including the traveling and skeleton merchants, plus the mutant, lumberjack, and abomination, with a bug net.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Calamity.

If that happens, get a guide voodoo doll.

Alternatively, if you have Fargo's mutant mod, get a bug net. Capture the guide, then release him back, and he'll get a new name. (Yes for some reason Fargo's mutant mod lets you capture all vanilla town NPCs, including the traveling and skeleton merchants, plus the mutant, lumberjack, and abomination, with a bug net.)
It lets you move them to another housing area NOW instead of assigning them and then walking away and hoping that works.

I think some of the armor set combinations (which are now off in a separate mod) need paintings from the painter from all kinds of biomes including ones that don't let you house NPCs there, so it's handy for that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would gleefully and with great pleasure throw Ben Shapiro into actual lava in real life.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I know townsfolk say they want to punch him on occasion if he has that name, or at least the arms dealer.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah considering that the guide's entire purpose is to be brutally murdered to progress I'd say it's not a flattering inclusion.

Also I'm now gripped with the desire to do another modded run but also eyeing the 1.4 release. But then all the mods would have to be updated and :ohdear:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

So modded runs until 1.4 comes out, it’s what I’m doing

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there anything super essential and crazy in 1.4 that isn't already covered by mods? Not that I won't try it out then, but I'm doing a heavily modded run now and suspect I'll just keep that install separate from the updated version off of steam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Is there anything super essential and crazy in 1.4 that isn't already covered by mods? Not that I won't try it out then, but I'm doing a heavily modded run now and suspect I'll just keep that install separate from the updated version off of steam.

Blockswap, better smart cursor, a worldgen rework, a bunch of new minibiomes that presumably needed the worldgen rework to function.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

better smart cursor

I'm so loving ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rynoto posted:

Yeah considering that the guide's entire purpose is to be brutally murdered to progress I'd say it's not a flattering inclusion
If he doesn't tell you completely wrong recipes or just not give you the information you actually want then it's too kind