Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not dating someone because of their music tastes?

A couple nights ago, a friend of mine (I’m a 24 yr old female) tried to set me up with this one friend of hers (a 25 yr old male).

She gave me his number and over text we had really hit it off. He asked me out and we agreed to meet yesterday night at a restaurant.

So I get there and we both are seated, we start talking and there are obviously sparks. We start talking and we somehow get to the topic of music and different bands and things of that nature.

I tell him how I love to play the piano. My dad passed due to lung cancer when I was 8, but he was the one to really inspire me to start playing because of how often he would play the piano for me, or simply in his spare time.

So I bring up my love of the piano and he starts to laugh. I ask him what’s so funny and he admits that he hates classical music.

I was kind of skeptical and explained that a lot of songs use the piano, even if the songs aren’t classical.

He didn’t believe me and continued to berate classical music and such. So I flagged down the waitress, spilt the tab, paid and left.

I told my mutual friend what had happened and she said I was an rear end in a top hat because he was such a good guy and music shouldn’t really change that.

So Reddit, AITA?

EDIT: I didn’t tell him my exact reasoning for liking the piano, but I did tell him I liked it for a personal reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The problem isn’t his taste so much as it is that he’s kind of a dick

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

He played go fish with my 8 year old cousin at Christmas and when he lost he said it was "loving bullshit" and dropped his cards everywhere.

Is this too long for a thread title?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

christmas boots posted:

He is also a uncultured idiot.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

'Don't bother me with this poo poo I have more important things to do'

peter familias

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
WIBTA if I peed on a church?

quote:

So I got into a heated debate with my girlfriend tonight over whether it's okay to urinate on a church. To give some background, my gf was born and raised in a very catholic country in Europe and although she doesn't claim to be catholic herself, she is religious and believes the church to have sanctity. Anyway, we were walking home from a bar and I had to take a leak pretty badly. On our way home we were passing a church that I saw provided some privacy from the public for me to do the deed. However, my girlfriend objected citing her belief that it would be disrespectful for me to pee on this sacred building. I respected her wishes and found a large tree to do my business instead. Afterwards, she told me she couldn't believe I would even consider doing something so disrespectful because many people (her included) see it as desecration. I conceded that I definitely would not do this with other people around, or with her in my presence because she feels strongly about the sanctity of the church, but if I were alone I would have no qualms about taking a leak on a pile of bricks, especially since it would have no impact on anybody in any way. She maintained that it is disrespectful to do regardless, even if nobody is watching and at that point we just agreed to disagree, but she said that she thinks I'm closed minded now, and she sees me in a slightly more negative light because of this conversation. I think I'm just being pragmatic.

So, AITA here?

quote:

I think people in this thread are really overestimating how much of a mess pee really makes. I mean pee is like 99% water. My whole point is that over the course of a night, the volatile, substances would evaporate, the pee would lose its scent and it would be like it never happened in the first place.

So to answer your question, if I didn't witness someone peeing on my house or my car or house in the middle of the night, and it dried up by morning then of course I wouldn't be mad. I wouldn't realize anything happened in the first place.

quote:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. So, people overwhelmingly think I'm an rear end in a top hat for peeing on a building. I suppose I expected that. The main argument seems to be that it is wrong because it leaves a bad smell, and this is an argument that I can agree with so I've decided to make an experiment. I'm gonna pee on my house tonight and see if there is a smell in the morning. If it stinks, I'll concede that I'm an rear end in a top hat and refrain from peeing on buildings in the future but if there is no smell detectable while standing right next to the spot where I peed, I'll maintain my original position: no harm no foul.
OP did not return with the results of his experiment.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
At least he was willing to test it on his own house.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

a redditor who piss on he own house

a shameful redditor

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"And so the male marks his territory, to deter other, roaming males to enter... And mayhaps to attract a female to his already prepared nest."

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My husband and I are both Discordians, and we lead a church/Saturday night gay disco sermon for our parish, the Church of No Walls and One Floor. Frankly, we are offended if you poo poo or piss anywhere within our church. Please don't poo poo or piss anywhere on the planet if you can help it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My boyfriend (30m) isn't comfortable with my (21f) college sports team's travel arrangements.

I'm on a college sports team. It's not one of the more well funded sports, we have a really tight budget for travel. We always get the cheapest hotel or motel rooms possible, and pack four to six into a room. Or if anyone has family in the area we're competing, everyone will sleep on the floor of their house. Sometimes we've even shared rooms or houses with local competing teams we've got friends on (off the field, we all get along quite well and are happy to room together)

We don't always split which rooms girls and guys sleep in, we try to keep the rooms the same as the groups who carpool together to keep things simple, and keep from waking people up if they've arrived in an earlier car and are already in bed when other groups are still trickling in. And carpool times are dependant on when everyone is available to leave. A lot of our club members are lgbt+ so it wouldn't really make sense to enforce a strict gender split.

We haven't had any issues with people being creepy on trips, we actually ban people from competing if they've behaved badly before competitive season. We have kicked a few people who had been too pushy at parties or practice, well before they traveled to compete with us. We've also kicked a couple people who acted homophobic, because we've got no place for that on the team.

Next year, I'll be a senior and I'll be the vice president of the team! I'm excited, we've got a great group and I'm passionate about the club.

I've been dating a guy named Ben for about 5 months and we got together just after the last big competitive season. So he wasn't around when I was traveling with the team.

And I just told him about some of the trips we've had, and her latched onto the fact that I've shared beds with guys, shared rooms with guys, slept on floors next to guys, etc.

And he said he wasn't cool with me doing that in the next semester.

I said that he was being ridiculous, it would be such a pain in the rear end, and sometimes not even possible to get a room of all girls, depending on who's going.

He suggested getting my own room, i can afford it, and I said no way, it would be unfair of me to be team VP and get myself a whole room to myself instead of packing in like the rest of the team has to.

I did say that what I could do is make sure to only share beds with ladies or gay guys, and sleep on an air mattress if that's not possible. But that wasn't enough, he was still not cool with me sharing the room with dudes or gay girls.

So ... What do I do? I want to make this relationship work, but my team is also very important to me

tldr - my boyfriend isn't comfortable with my sport team travel arrangements

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Yeah wait until you have to pee so bad it comes out at earth escape velocity and then pee directly into the void of space imho

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

clink clink got an update, she erased the entire post and replaced it with:

quote:

I'm not good at describing noises. JFC

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being upset that my boyfriend wants to put me in an airbnb while his sister visits?

My boyfriend (26m) and I (22f) have been long distance from the start, as we met while I was traveling. We've managed to make it work even though he's in Germany and I'm in the US. After a year and a half of being together this is our first argument we just haven't been able to resolve and we needed to take it to the internet to decide what to do.

I'll be flying out to see him soon. We were both aware when I booked my flight that my boyfriend had made prior arrangements with his sister (23f) and cousin (27m) plus his cousin's wife (27f), who all live in England, to come visit him. They'll be visiting him around 2 weeks after I get there, for 4 days. He told me his cousin+cousins wife would get their own hotel room, and that his sister would stay with him. He has his own bedroom in an apartment with 3 other guys and his bedroom is huge. He has a large bed and a sofa and plenty of space to walk around. I was perfectly fine with the idea of us being in the same room as his sister. In fact, I was thrilled that I'd be able to spend time with her, since we barely know each other.

My boyfriend brought it to my attention that his sister was uncomfortable with us all staying/sleeping in one room. His solution was for me to sleep in an Airbnb-- paid for by him. He insisted that everything will be the same for us, since I'll still meet up with him and his family during the day. I told him I was upset by his decision. I know it's only for 4 days, but I am coming from the States to see him and we don't know when the next time we see each other will be. He claims though his sister wanted some personal time alone with him, since their cousins will be around a lot, and that the experience would just be different for her if she were to be in an Airbnb rather than stay with him. It seems to me though that it'd be significantly more different for me to leave, seeing as they obviously wouldn't sleep together.

I know that he and his sister are close and I in no way intend to get between them. I told him that I'd be happy to give them their alone time. But he still stands by decision. He claims theres no right answer because it's either he hurts his sister's feelings or mine, and since I'm staying there for longer and he told his sister she could stay first, I should leave. I just feel like he's not taking into account all the other important factors like the fact that I'm coming from much farther away and it's much more difficult to plan my visit. He took it to r/relationship_advice to see what he should have done. Most of the responses are in line with what I had thought, which is that his sister is the one with the problem staying together and so she should, if necessary, be the one to leave. He understands why I feel hurt and feels bad about it, but he doesn't think he did anything wrong at all. I'm hurt by the situation and at this point, I don't even want to stay with him as he was so quick to disregard my feelings.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ghost of Future's Past: Ebenezer, Ebenezer! Wake up, I've come to show you the future you've chosen with your miserly ways!

*rattles chains*

Ebenezer: Stop jizzing all over my bedroom you loving freak!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cumshitter posted:

My husband and I are both Discordians, and we lead a church/Saturday night gay disco sermon for our parish, the Church of No Walls and One Floor. Frankly, we are offended if you poo poo or piss anywhere within our church. Please don't poo poo or piss anywhere on the planet if you can help it.

But where do you poo poo the cum then

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Student: Is there an essential meaning behind POEE [Def: ??]?

Teacher: There is a Zen Story about a student who asked a Master to explain the meaning of Buddhism. The Master's reply was "Three teaspoons of cumshit."

Student: Is that the answer to my question?

Teacher: No, of course not. That is just illustrative. The answer to your question is FIVE GALLONS OF CUMSHIT!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend (30m) isn't comfortable with my (21f) college sports team's travel arrangements.

1. 30-year-olds being weirded out by their college-age girlfriends' college antics, the tale as old as time, or at least as old as creepy age gaps

2. This is ultimate frisbee, right?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I bet on hackey sack or some weird curling poo poo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being upset that my boyfriend wants to put me in an airbnb while his sister visits?

It seems to me though that it'd be significantly more different for me to leave, seeing as they obviously wouldn't sleep together.
Wow, someone sure is confident.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

tldr - my boyfriend isn't comfortable with my sport team travel arrangements

is this the same girl whose boyfriend posted a few months ago wondering if it was normal for his girlfriend's sports team to be all hanging around playing naked twister and stuff

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This:

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Yeah wait until you have to pee so bad it comes out at earth escape velocity and then pee directly into the void of space imho
But with cumshit instead of pee.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That's a clunker of an update.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

1. you are correct
2. You insisted other people called it clinking, too
3. Ejaculation is not the act of jerking it
4. that's still not going to wake babies

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

4. that's still not going to wake babies

Maybe he's got Hancock cum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhypULGZww&t=68s

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
When you go to a website full of masturbation experts you really gotta know your poo poo.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ugh, what a stupid rear end in a top hat. I hate people like this that just take their ball and go home because people call them out on things that are clearly wrong

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

christmas boots posted:

The problem is his taste, and also that he’s kind of a dick

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

My FWB (20 F) only talks with me about sex and video games

I think the people like "look at this lucky guy" are imagining that the FWB is relatively normal and attractive, when in reality she's likely a total spaz like most 20 year old gamer types and probably pretty unpleasant to be around (and the "has a panic attack when I'm direct" stuff supports the "she's not pleasant to be around" idea).

And the reason I mentioned that she might not be that attractive is that my friend has an arrangement sort of similar to this, where he's FWB with this woman he's not really that attracted to, and sleeps with her mostly because she wants it. It's possible this guy is only attracted to this girl enough to be "okay" with sleeping with her, and her being a lovely friend otherwise makes the deal stop looking as good.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

That still doesn't matter? It would be depressing regardless.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Accidentally came upon teenage stepsons journal. Found excruciating details. Please help me figure out how to discuss this with his father, my husband.

quote:

u/anonymous12121212129

As the title says I was letting our baby crawl around the kids rooms (they were gone) while I cleaned in the hallway and he happened to reach up & pull down a little composition book and flip open to the pages. I glanced over and knew hed likely tear a page on accident so I grabbed it and in my innocent curiosity saw a date and title that read “why can’t I get over you? 11/27/18” and then a line that read “so I cut myself 20 times today on my leg” my heart sank and I continued to read to obtain context. I believe I should suggest child therapy for him to my husband but I have this nasty pit in my stomach bc of how complicated this got so fast. His privacy was indeed invaded, I know. And while I did glance down to read what it was I was holding I was not out to look for it. This is information that in order to suggest therapy to our child, will be difficult to avoid spilling. What suggestions do you have for how to present this to his father and how to handle it? my heart is shredded for our son and I want to make sure this is gone about properly

I mainly posted this one because of the super dumb lies. Just say you wanted to read an unfamiliar book, don't be all "I slipped on a banana peel, and fell over opening the pages, and kept slipping around turning pages, and my eyes just so happened to turn to the words, I totally didn't just read it out of curiosity"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Haifisch posted:

WIBTA if I peed on a church?

OP did not return with the results of his experiment.

if it's good enough for our president then it's good enough for the catholic church

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Miserable Maid posted:

Accidentally came upon teenage stepsons journal. Found excruciating details. Please help me figure out how to discuss this with his father, my husband.

I mainly posted this one because of the super dumb lies. Just say you wanted to read an unfamiliar book, don't be all "I slipped on a banana peel, and fell over opening the pages, and kept slipping around turning pages, and my eyes just so happened to turn to the words, I totally didn't just read it out of curiosity"

I think it's acceptable for a parent to read a child's diary. But only if they construct an elaborate Rube Goldberg machine that makes it impossible for them not to read the diary. Complete with a monkey pumping a bellhose that wakes a bird who pecks a balloon that was lifting a string connected to scissors which cuts free a weight that lands on a gerbil which runs on a treadmill that slowly pulls the trigger of a gun that shoots a target causing marbles to fall on piano keys that play a tune that makes a monkey dance and bring said diary to the parents, opened to pages containing their most wrought teen angst.

This parent did not meet the standard though, and for that they should be roundly condemned.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ytlaya posted:

I think the people like "look at this lucky guy" are imagining that the FWB is relatively normal and attractive, when in reality she's likely a total spaz like most 20 year old gamer types and probably pretty unpleasant to be around (and the "has a panic attack when I'm direct" stuff supports the "she's not pleasant to be around" idea).

That OP referred to himself as 'friendcel' in the comments, which I guess means... getting no friendship?

He also made this post:

Boyfriend about to be married and I’m not invited to the wedding so far

quote:

Hey, I’ve been poly all my dating life. Just got with this guy a little less than a year now, so a fresh relationship. He’s been with his fiancé for about 6ish years, and they’re planning on the wedding.

Problem is I’m not invited from the looks of it.

They’re not out about their life style to the majority of their family. Those that know are reluctantly accepting, confused by, or absolutely hate it. One of his relatives pointedly refused meeting any of his other partners and implied there might be sour words tossed my way if I showed up.

They’ve said I might be able to show up to the reception if they invite their friends just as a buffer so I can blend into the friend crowd. But, fuuuck, have I ever felt like the dirty little secret.

How should I be feeling about this? Should I let it be know that this isn’t cool with me, or let them enjoy their special day like I don’t exist in their lives? They say I’m going to be a major part of their future, yet their actions aren’t speaking it. I feel like a year long fling that’ll be thrown away when convenient. Help.

This guy needs to make better choices in his dating life.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Did anyone ask if she had coins in her vagina?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Did anyone ask if she had coins in her vagina?

wouldn't the acid just dissolve them though?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

The vagina is a mysterious and deadly thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Its the teeth chewing that make the coins clink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
vagina pecuniata