Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

honestly gallows is less of a fuckup than jet

being more of a fuckup than jet is a tall order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

being more of a fuckup than jet is a tall order

janus manages it imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when your work hours are over for the day

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the best part of janus cascade is when you fight his fish form for the first time and he complains that there's still a gap between his thoughts and actions

he literally complains about input lag making him lose lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that hg101 posted a wild arms 2 review a couple days ago that literally just amounted to "the writing is probably good but the translation is so illegible that i can barely follow it, and brad is gay"

they also posted a thing about black/matrix yesterday and how it has a hidden gay option which i was slightly surprised about until i remembered that black/matrix is made by the same devs as summon night and afaik gay options in summon night are common in that series even outside of the swordcraft story games. so uh, flight-plan ftw i guess, sad they died

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 29, 2019

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Someone once tried describing the conclusion of Wild Arms 2 to me while being as vague as possible and it sounded so absolutely bizarre, it really was pretty... wild.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

its a really wild game but the themes are really strong and as much as people make fun of the translation for being illegible it was, like, still possible for 12-year old me to walk away understanding the core themes which is... like, that's serviceable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah wild arms 2's core writing is strong enough to shine through in spite of how bad its translation is

i just, wish its translation wasn't really bad and didn't rewrite a gay antagonist to be a woman literally the moment they realized his sexuality existed lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fun thing about that is the translation is so sloppy that you can actually see the moment where the translators realized he was gay

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

wild arms 2's world map system was real bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

perhaps the same could be said of all world maps

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm still mad about lilka, though. she and her sister deserve better. :-( there i'm using emojis like how she would

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

all world maps are bad, but having to press the square button to search for towns and dungeons because they don't actually show up on the map until you do makes an already bad concept worse

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Elona is a lovely japanese rune factory clone that has gay marriage

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
You know, since you only ever see the world map in a lot of games like FF7 as a flat projection, the shapes and proportions of the land masses should all be slightly off. That would be a neat detail for someone to actually program in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Merilan posted:

its a really wild game but the themes are really strong and as much as people make fun of the translation for being illegible it was, like, still possible for 12-year old me to walk away understanding the core themes which is... like, that's serviceable
Yeah, it's definitely not great, but it wasn't as big a botch as say Breath of Fire 2.

The Colonel posted:

yeah wild arms 2's core writing is strong enough to shine through in spite of how bad its translation is

i just, wish its translation wasn't really bad and didn't rewrite a gay antagonist to be a woman literally the moment they realized his sexuality existed lol

Endorph posted:

the fun thing about that is the translation is so sloppy that you can actually see the moment where the translators realized he was gay
Although yeah, that did happen. It would almost be funny if it wasn't sad.

Randallteal posted:

You know, since you only ever see the world map in a lot of games like FF7 as a flat projection, the shapes and proportions of the land masses should all be slightly off. That would be a neat detail for someone to actually program in.
:goonsay: Well, since rpg world maps are typically actually toruses and not sphereoids...

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 29, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Commander Keene posted:

:goonsay: Well, since rpg world maps are typically actually toruses and not sphereoids...

you laugh but a jrpg world map that observes the day/night laws of a torus would be cool as hell. city that's perpetually sundown is just on the edge of the inner loop, and just past that is an ice area of perpetual night

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

you laugh but a jrpg world map that observes the day/night laws of a torus would be cool as hell. city that's perpetually sundown is just on the edge of the inner loop, and just past that is an ice area of perpetual night

It sounds like the cool if mostly insignificant sort of thing I dig, tbh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

God I miss Wild Arms. I'd love to see a Wild Arms 6 one day but I know it'll be monkey paw stuff and we'll get another mobile game.

I'm watching Symphogear for the first time and it's interesting to see the parallels between it and Wild Arms but it's just not quite the same. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One day I'll play more than an hour of XF. It had a cool dog at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

all world maps are bad, but having to press the square button to search for towns and dungeons because they don't actually show up on the map until you do makes an already bad concept worse

Its worse than that, I thought. I remember if the story event hasnt triggered it wont let you find it even if youre searching in the right spot.

There is literally no benefit to that system.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i feel like ff7 might legit be my favourite world map. on the critical path it was unobtrusive but enough to evoke the abstract shape of the world, and once i got the highwind i really liked the moments where i started getting curious about how to get to some of the caves i could see but not land in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the next season of symphogear is going to be the last one and kaneko has said he wants to do more wild arms, and he's publicly mentioned talks with sony higherups about it. It seems like he's in contact with a lot of people from the wild arms team still, too. It's not a guarantee or anything but it seems like something might happen on that front. And there's already a wild arms mobage that seems to be doing okay (seeing as it still exists about a year after it started) so I doubt they'd do another one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Its worse than that, I thought. I remember if the story event hasnt triggered it wont let you find it even if youre searching in the right spot.

There is literally no benefit to that system.

Also the search radius on it (at least in Wild Arms 3) is pretty gently caress-you small when you're trying to find some of those locations in an area.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not great, but it wasn't as big a botch as say Breath of Fire 2.

no, i would say it is a much bigger botch because unlike breath of fire 2 there are still no alternatives and wild arms 2 is trying to explore much deeper subject matter that its translation severely hinders its ability to properly communicate. the writing is good enough to shine through a bit, but it is also often literally unreadable and ruins the flow of everything. like when casual exchanges are literally impossible to follow i really don't think you can give it any kind of pass

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 29, 2019

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i like that hg101 posted a wild arms 2 review a couple days ago that literally just amounted to "the writing is probably good but the translation is so illegible that i can barely follow it, and brad is gay"

they also posted a thing about black/matrix yesterday and how it has a hidden gay option which i was slightly surprised about until i remembered that black/matrix is made by the same devs as summon night and afaik gay options in summon night are common in that series even outside of the swordcraft story games. so uh, flight-plan ftw i guess, sad they died

I've only experienced Summon Night 1 so far but if you try to pursue girl x girl relationships for your main character she always pulls the 'Whawhawhaaa you're flirting with me??? but we're both GIRLS!!!?' thing and it never really goes anywhere besides the ambiguous 'and they were always really good super special friends forever' thing.

Maybe it gets better as the series goes along.

To be fair I only tried girl x girl. Maybe the guy x guy ones went places.

Black/Matrix was a pretty mediocre game, though the spell combo that let you turn dead enemies into zombies and then explode those zombies for mass area damage was fun (and utterly broken). It's also the only anime thing ever forever in which angels are the good guys and good people and not stuck up pricks and demons are the bad guys (aside from a few exceptions).

It was kind of creepy that you could pick a little girl as your mistress/romance option but hey you could just avoid picking her obviously.

I need to get back to playing the Summon Night games. They really don't come into their own until 3.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Getsuya posted:

To be fair I only tried girl x girl. Maybe the guy x guy ones went places.

It doesn't. At least not in the first one. There wasn't anything as clearly stated with the male MC as with the female MC and the one partner, on that path.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It has been ages but I think you could have some sort of same-sex relationship in Swordcraft Story 1 or 2?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's just a female character being obsessed with the main character trope.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's rom hacks for the Harvest Moon games that allow same sex relationships (I think they just switch the player character's sprite and maybe change pronouns).

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I haven't played it, but I think I remember hearing that Zanki Zero has romance scenes for every possible character pairing regardless of gender.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I wish Iconoclasts had been a jrpg. Not that I'm complaining, but the whole Robin/Mina thing is sweet as hell.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

quote:

Meia: Wait, hold on, I’ve got another one!
Klarth: No, come on! One more and…
Klarth: -giggle – I’ll…
Klarth: I’ll… -giggle-
Klarth: I’ll piss my pants!

how do people mention "i bet arche fucks like a tiger" and not the real star of dejap

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

how do people mention "i bet arche fucks like a tiger" and not the real star of dejap
What I learned from that article was that the translation was closer than I thought.

Still massively out of line, but it's more "pushing things to be more vulgar for some drat reason" than "inventing poo poo out of whole cloth"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zereth posted:

What I learned from that article was that the translation was closer than I thought.

Still massively out of line, but it's more "pushing things to be more vulgar for some drat reason" than "inventing poo poo out of whole cloth"

i mean yeah the template for that stuff was definitely in the script, it takes like one look at any of the other fan tls to see, and being a bit of a lecher is definitely part of klarth's characterization for the first half of the game. it just, also takes one look at any of the other fan tls to see that klarth doesn't scream about pissing himself, and arche doesn't literally loving moan loudly in her sleep about loving cless holy loving poo poo lol

it's such a bizarre level to punch phantasia's script up to considering how goddamn plain the party dynamic is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 29, 2019

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
DeJap are the kind of hacks who thought they could just get enough of the meaning and then make the rest up by trying very hard to be Woolsey.

I played their FF5 patch once. The first tower had good old Y-Burn in it. I changed patches after I got a Socklet out of a treasure chest.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Which team did the chrono trigger de-Woolseylization translation that added -sama poo poo to the dialogue. I wanna punch them in the face repeatedly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the end of the article where mato says "by the way, i released some patches that dejap did hacking work on but i did the translation work myself so they're not like this"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Which team did the chrono trigger de-Woolseylization translation that added -sama poo poo to the dialogue. I wanna punch them in the face repeatedly.

Good ol' Chrono Compendium. But see, they weren't translating the game. They were giving you the same experience playing it a Japanese player would have gotten!

lord, they're the worst sort of weebs. Them and the FFVII retranslation lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't believe a TL group that named themselves "DeJap" had some ill-conceived ideas.