Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

angerbeet posted:

Someone on Reddit bought one of those and it turned out to be placemat sized

I can't help but think the material is super-sweaty and disgusting. Like just straight up plastic. But uhhh it looks so cool.

e: poo poo snipe no time now sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TorakFade posted:

China post loving up? Local Italian post stealing completely worthless poo poo just because they can? I wouldn't put them above it.

The Italian post is so bad that some large e-commerce companies refuse to use it and insist on couriers instead.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shut up Meg posted:

The Italian post is so bad that some large e-commerce companies refuse to use it and insist on couriers instead.

Seriously? Lol :italy:

I have a friend working in the post office (not on parcel duty sadly, just front desk operator), I'm now searching for articles about this to send them to her so we can laugh about it :D do you have any links? My Google-fu is weak

e: also, this started happening in 2019. Up til 2018 I received every single thing sent to me from China, so :shrug: ?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 26, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TorakFade posted:

Seriously? Lol :italy:

I have a friend working in the post office (not on parcel duty sadly, just front desk operator), I'm now searching for articles about this to send them to her so we can laugh about it :D do you have any links? My Google-fu is weak

e: also, this started happening in 2019. Up til 2018 I received every single thing sent to me from China, so :shrug: ?

Sorry, I can't remember which sellers specifically had this policy:
It was an internal presentation on ecommerce in Italy and I got the impression that the Italian post office will sort the mail into two categories: 1) valuable items to steal and 2) non-valuable to be dumped onto the huge pile of rotting, uncollected garbage on the streets.

Fairly impressive Trustpilot reviews

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
In China, they sometimes sell "unclaimed" package contents on the street, so Italy is just playing along.

Spain seems to get most of my Wish/Ali items to me well enough, but roughly one out of every four doesn't make it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Link it!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
AliExpress postage has definitely been bad lateley

I'm yet to have anything not arrive eventually, but I'm at the 3 month mark on one package, I'm certain that it isn't gonna make it.

It does seem to have happened shortly after the US started making noises about leaving the postal union, upon which point all of my items started being reshipped (new sticker & declaration slapped on top of the one the shipper used) through at least one other Asian country before being handed off to Australia Post.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Of the last few purchases I made on Aliexpress, about 50% arrived and 50% disappeared. I always got refunded of course, and they were mostly joke / superflous stuff, but it's a PITA.

e.g. the "scream at own rear end" pin purchase protection is just about to expire. It's a stupid joke pin, but I WANT IT, and even if I get a refund I'll have to reorder it and wait another month, it sucks. Yeah I know I should just wait and see if it arrives anyway, but I already had 4 or 5 items completely disappear (waited 3-4 weeks after supposed arrival date) in the last months already so it seems like a pattern
The seller of my Freddie Mercury pin told me the thing got lost in the mail and said to file a dispute, that they'd give me a full refund. But because it was (supposed to have been) shipped via the default Ali method, Ali handles the dispute instead of the buyer. They keep coming back every couple of weeks to say "Look, it's still within the delivery window"--which it absolutely is not--"so keep waiting." And every time, I reply, "It was lost in the mail; the seller told me they'd refund it; it still hasn't shown up." And we keep going around and around.

What sucks about these nothing little pins is that you have just as much chance of losing any replacements you order, too. :(

The USPS is still "looking into" the flowerpot that disappeared after going through their Chicago facility. :iiam: I filed a search request over two weeks ago and haven't heard poo poo since. :mad:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mike12345 posted:

I can't help but think the material is super-sweaty and disgusting. Like just straight up plastic. But uhhh it looks so cool.

e: poo poo snipe no time now sorry

Basically everything sold as "fleece" these days is made of polyester, which is, indeed, straight up plastic. This holds true whether you're buying authentic Polartec, Costco loss-leader blankets, or a weird taco-wrap blanket straight from Aliexpress.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Basically everything sold as "fleece" these days is made of polyester, which is, indeed, straight up plastic. This holds true whether you're buying authentic Polartec, Costco loss-leader blankets, or a weird taco-wrap blanket straight from Aliexpress.

Back when I was working retail the winter uniform was a polyester fleece sweater that was 100% impermeable to air and moisture. It was terrible.
Meanwhile, I also own several polyester fleece sweaters that are extremely comfortable and breathe very well.

What I'm getting at is there's big differences between cheap and nasty polyester fleece and good quality polyester fleece. And you just don't know which you'll get from the Internet. In a physical store you can at least feel it up and see if it's the good stuff.

But, I'm also not saying "don't get it" because sometimes Ali knockoffs are shockingly good quality. Like this little guy I got that is probably made out of a slightly lower grade plastic than the official ones, but is still amazingly detailed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32850652722.html

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gotta say I chuckled:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32869913249.html

Anyone fluent translate what’s on the bricks?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Gotta say I chuckled:

Otaku, Anime, Senpai, Neko, Ramen, Mango.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^ Beaten, but seriously that’s “o”? Good gravy that font sucks.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Gotta say I chuckled:

I’m nowhere near fluent but that’s all katakana, which is easy. Couldn’t quite get the top left one due to the weird font but:

?
Anime
Senpai
Neko
Ramen
Manga

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Not that exact one, but here.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dewgy posted:

I’m nowhere near fluent but that’s all katakana, which is easy. Couldn’t quite get the top left one due to the weird font but:

?
Anime
Senpai
Neko
Ramen
Manga

Oddly enough, these are the only Japanese words most anime fans know.

E: lmao the "Spanish" text says "become noted hombres" which is a much better shirt slogan.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dewgy posted:

It's ヲ. :eng101:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I got a thing from Ali, and it was broken on arrival. I started a dispute, asking for a $.01 refund, and for them to simply send another one. This is what my dispute history says. Am I just SOL?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yes, always refund all your money back

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Steal the Quetzalcoatl look!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I got a thing from Ali, and it was broken on arrival. I started a dispute, asking for a $.01 refund, and for them to simply send another one. This is what my dispute history says. Am I just SOL?

Yeah, either don't mark as received and ask them to send again (they will extend protection)
Or just ask for a no-return full refund which they will knock down by 20% or so.

Edit: if it's broken take a bunch of photos

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can anyone recommend a keychain knife for daily use? I have to cut plastic and boxes of thick cardboard. A boxcutter is too big.

I've got one of these, it's great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...af-f1f5c8822acf

Had it about 6 months, still works great with no sign of wear. The blades go blunt quite quickly but they're pretty cheap so not really a problem.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

dang

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
How does one find and order the best waifu on this site? I feel lonely

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

This is supposed to go in the blade thread

Kazak fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 28, 2019

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

ragedx posted:

How does one find and order the best waifu on this site? I feel lonely

Which format? Are you looking for a hug pillow, a figurine, or even a life-size doll?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Went out with some friends the other day, and realized with some concern that my entire outfit had been purchased on aliexpress

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Here's a new one for me, my Meizu Bluetooth headphones that I've been using for a year straight up melted while charging today. Guess I can cross 'narrowly avoiding death or serious burns' from my Shopping At Ali bingo card.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, that's a lot of melt for usb power. Might want to check that charger brick isn't hosed as gently caress.

e - I suppose the internal Li-on might have burned down.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 28, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

goatface posted:

Huh, that's a lot of melt for usb power. Might want to check that charger brick isn't hosed as gently caress.

Yikes, the cable seemed okay but I didn't even think to check the charger itself. Thanks for the heads up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
we live dangerously in this thread

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Anyone else into lockpicking?
There are some starter kits on AliExpress. I got my picks from Ali, as well as some practice locks, although not this particular set. It's a fun hobby.
I also have a credit card lock pick set. I don't know why this listing has only that one, uninformative picture, but here's what it looks like:

You can easily get carried away with this hobby, and there are more challenging practice locks on eBay. Of course, you'll also want to try some real locks.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Anyone else into lockpicking?
There are some starter kits on AliExpress. I got my picks from Ali, as well as some practice locks, although not this particular set. It's a fun hobby.
I also have a credit card lock pick set. I don't know why this listing has only that one, uninformative picture, but here's what it looks like:

You can easily get carried away with this hobby, and there are more challenging practice locks on eBay. Of course, you'll also want to try some real locks.

We had a small discussion earlier on; lockpicking is cool but to practice it at any serious level (eg. real locks in real situations where you want it open without having to smash it) I wouldn't want Ali tools in the off chance that they're faulty and snap in the lock, loving it up for good :)

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Southord or other reputable brand picks - they're not terribly expensive and I believe you have better QC there and less chance of picks snapping through no fault of your own (I risked it even with the Southords, thanks to my fat fingers :v: )

Has anyone bought the Lego knockoffs from Ali? With a friend we're looking at the various Creator cars (example) , cost is about 1/3rd of the real thing and reviews seem pretty decent, like maybe missing one piece or having couple of pieces ruined which is easy enough to fix, but do they "look" and fit the part? Meaning as a collector item more than a children's toy, because not even Original Stuff can withstand children, I have no hopes for the Ali versions :chickbutt:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 29, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

Has anyone bought the Lego knockoffs from Ali? With a friend we're looking at the various Creator cars (example) , cost is about 1/3rd of the real thing and reviews seem pretty decent, like maybe missing one piece or having couple of pieces ruined which is easy enough to fix, but do they "look" and fit the part? Meaning as a collector item more than a children's toy, because not even Original Stuff can withstand children, I have no hopes for the Ali versions :chickbutt:

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Lego brand

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fauxtool posted:

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Lego brand

:D I fully deserve that. And I do agree, if money was no object I would get the Lego ones for sure. Just looking for first hand experience like "it's like the original but without logos", or "you will curse God because the pieces don't fit and you have to hammer in every third one"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The knockoff regular Lego is okay; it's a bit softer and more flexible than real Lego and the fit isn't as precise. It's not so bad as to make the pieces unusable, but you will have to be pushing a little harder than usual sometimes (particularly on the little guys). The lack of logos on the studs, while purely aesthetic, is a little off-putting.

The knockoff Technic is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. I have some of the motorcycle ones and they're excellent.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lego monoculture is actually v inauthentic. You gotta have an organic mix of megabloks etc for the true experience

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I won my first freebie! It's...some kind of cat mat? The kind of thing where I looked at what I'd won and thought, "Why did I put in for that again?"

Still, I've only ever done maybe eight freebie applications in my Ali career, so this was a nice surprise.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TorakFade posted:

We had a small discussion earlier on; lockpicking is cool but to practice it at any serious level (eg. real locks in real situations where you want it open without having to smash it) I wouldn't want Ali tools in the off chance that they're faulty and snap in the lock, loving it up for good :)

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Southord or other reputable brand picks - they're not terribly expensive and I believe you have better QC there and less chance of picks snapping through no fault of your own (I risked it even with the Southords, thanks to my fat fingers :v: )

Is there a thread about this? It does seem like a fun hobby to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Not sure about a thread, but it's a huge community on YouTube. A search for lockpicking will send you down an endless rabbit hole of lock collectors and tutorials.