Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The real awful mechanic in BotW, I think, is the subtractive defense from armor, which makes you invulnerable if you're geared up for most areas, and gets you oneshot if you aren't. A smoother scale on the damage dealt by enemies relative to armor would be much better.

It's a relatively minor mechanic, so it doesn't have a big impact on the game, but it's really quite bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I wasn't talking about the details of the cooking system, which is an entirely different conversation that I couldn't care less about having. I was responding to the guy that said you shouldn't be allowed to freely eat in the pause menu.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Walrus Pete posted:

I wasn't talking about the details of the cooking system, which is an entirely different conversation that I couldn't care less about having. I was responding to the guy that said you shouldn't be allowed to freely eat in the pause menu.

So was I, the last sentence was just an aside.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Zoran posted:

So was I, the last sentence was just an aside.

Okay, then I've said what I want to say. Nobody's forcing you to trivialize the combat with food and it's a good thing that the system is there for people who aren't as good at video games as you and me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Shoving twenty apples into Link's face owned.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cicero posted:

Eating is too strong in BotW, having the game be challenging shouldn't require that the player dumb themselves down. The whole point of games is to overcome challenges, if the game is trivial for non-stupid players unless they've intentionally gimped themselves then that's a failure of game design. The smart way to play should still be a fun and challenging way to play.

Like if every platforming jump in Mario was optional because there was always a bridge right there you could just walk across, and not like an assist mode but just in the normal game, nobody would defend that. Or if half the classes in a CRPG were stupid overpowered and trivialized the game, suggesting that this is fine because people who wanted a challenge could simply choose weaker classes would be silly.

At a minimum, eating food in BotW should take non-zero in-game time and should cancel previous actions, and having something to limit Link blazing his way through a hundred wheels of cheese barrels of apples would probably also make sense. Maybe you could also have a differentiation between potions and food where potions could be used while still running/climbing and food had to be eaten while standing or at least only walking.

If you were good at BotW you wouldn't need to be shoving food down your gullet constantly. From your post stating your refusal to not eat constantly, it can be assumed that you did eat constantly. From this, we can deduce that you were taking damage often and would not have survived if you could not eat constantly. Therefore, we can conclude that you're bad at the game and the mechanic was put in specifically for people like you.

Good job getting mad at the game because you're bad at it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Walrus Pete posted:

Okay, then I've said what I want to say. Nobody's forcing you to trivialize the combat with food and it's a good thing that the system is there for people who aren't as good at video games as you and me.

That's fine, you can make that calculation in this case. But I disagreed with what seemed to be you saying that if a mechanic in a game is optional, then it definitely doesn’t hurt the gameplay design, and if you both use it and find it unsatisfying then that’s your fault. I’m saying that it's possible for such things to affect the alternatives: the methods that ought to be more interesting and more challenging become less engaging and less rewarding.

This is always a judgment call. It’s objectively way easier to kill the enemies in this game with your weapons than it is to set up crazy kills using the physics system, which dramatically reduces the extrinsic value of mastering the physics, but I think that’s perfectly all right.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's nothing wrong with different difficulty levels or assist modes to help people who are less good at games. That's a totally different thing from "if you want the game to be hard just invent your own challenge". If you give a wizard guy a fireball spell that lets you own every single guy in the game by mashing it, telling people "yeah if you want a challenge just only use it occasionally" is perfectly fine individual advice if that's how the game is, but game design should be such that a reasonably intelligent player is still challenged by it, and has to continue improve and think of new ways to beat the game, not hammer on the same thing over and over.

Like, that's literally how nearly every previous Zelda worked: you could have things that healed you a ton, and instantly, BUT you were very limited by bottles. If Link to the Past gave the player four hundred bottles instead instead of four, that would be bad.

With BotW they kept healing being instant but let you carry around way more stuff because of the emphasis on freedom and because now there's a ton of variety in edible things to carry around. BotW is still a masterclass game, but it'd be improved by a saner food system, that treated food more like how, say, running or bomb throwing is treated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

"It's weird that this game lets your character attack at infinite speed, kind of trivializes the game that you can just hold down attack and kill everything so easily. Why not give the attack animation a duration and cooldown like any other game, so that you have to use combos and stuff to win?"

ITT: "Well if YOU needed to mash attack, obviously that's because you're so terrible at the game, obviously real gamers use timed combos that do much less dps than that to get a real challenge. Pretty funny that you complained about something made for you. :smug:"

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Zoran posted:

That's fine, you can make that calculation in this case. But I disagreed with what seemed to be you saying that if a mechanic in a game is optional, then it definitely doesn’t hurt the gameplay design, and if you both use it and find it unsatisfying then that’s your fault. I’m saying that it's possible for such things to affect the alternatives: the methods that ought to be more interesting and more challenging become less engaging and less rewarding.

I'm not trying to say that it's always the case, but I think it is much more often than not.

Cicero posted:

If you give a wizard guy a fireball spell that lets you own every single guy in the game by mashing it, telling people "yeah if you want a challenge just only use it occasionally" is perfectly fine individual advice if that's how the game is, but game design should be such that a reasonably intelligent player is still challenged by it, and has to continue improve and think of new ways to beat the game, not hammer on the same thing over and over.

Cicero posted:

"It's weird that this game lets your character attack at infinite speed, kind of trivializes the game that you can just hold down attack and kill everything so easily. Why not give the attack animation a duration and cooldown like any other game, so that you have to use combos and stuff to win?"

ITT: "Well if YOU needed to mash attack, obviously that's because you're so terrible at the game, obviously real gamers use timed combos that do much less dps than that to get a real challenge. Pretty funny that you complained about something made for you. :smug:"

I find it telling that every time I see an example of this kind of thing, it's an extremely hyperbolic scenario that has never actually happened. And with the BotW example in particular, it's perfectly capable of providing a challenge. All you have to do is play it the way you want it to be played. Choosing to limit how you use the food in BotW is not fundamentally different from having a "less powerful healing" option available in a menu.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

One of the things I appreciated about Paper Mario is how you couldn't just carry 99 full restores/mega elixirs around with you because it constrained your inventory a lot more. It meant it felt like you had to be more careful, and even plan out which items you'd take into a fight more. Same thing with Secret of Mana, you had to be more thoughtful with healing items there compared to the Final Fantasies of the day.

Walrus Pete posted:

I find it telling that every time I see an example of this kind of thing, it's an extremely hyperbolic scenario that has never actually happened.
Have you never heard of reductio ad absurdum? It's just showing that the principle is ridiculous by using it with an extreme example. Of course nobody would design a game with infinite attack speed and just expect players to restrain themselves, that's the whole point.

BotW is a much less extreme example because it does take busy work to build up a ton of food, so that constrains how much people abuse the mechanic. Which is why it's still a really excellent game, and it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment too much, I just think it would be a modest improvement, just like doing something else with durability would be modest improvement.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cicero posted:

Have you never heard of reductio ad absurdum? It's just showing that the principle is ridiculous by using it with an extreme example. Of course nobody would design a game with infinite attack speed and just expect players to restrain themselves, that's the whole point.

It's just another flavor of disingenuous slippery-slope arguments that shift the focus away from what's actually being discussed. Anything taken to such absurd extremes is obviously going to be terrible, so what?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Walrus Pete posted:

It's just another flavor of disingenuous slippery-slope arguments that shift the focus away from what's actually being discussed. Anything taken to such absurd extremes is obviously going to be terrible, so what?
Is that true though? "The game designer is in charge of difficulty" is already true to an extreme for almost every game. You get to choose a difficulty setting outside of the game proper, and maybe whether you choose to do optional harder side content, but other than that basically all the challenge is determined by the game company. That's how games generally work, and it's fine.

Because the alternative, "player decides difficulty themselves moment to moment" is generally viewed as awkward and bad, except for maybe sandbox games that are more toys than games. And yeah, BotW is sandboxy for a Zelda game, which is why the power of food doesn't hurt it as much as it would in a more standard Zelda game, but I still think the combat would be improved if it was treated with more built-in limitations, like how running or power moves are.

edit: though "these moves are too powerful and trivialize the game" is a real thing that gets complained about for some games sometimes. I've even seen it for BotW (and not just food).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 29, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Walrus Pete posted:

I find it telling that every time I see an example of this kind of thing, it's an extremely hyperbolic scenario that has never actually happened. And with the BotW example in particular, it's perfectly capable of providing a challenge. All you have to do is play it the way you want it to be played. Choosing to limit how you use the food in BotW is not fundamentally different from having a "less powerful healing" option available in a menu.

Or just limit yourself by not...upgrading your armors and ignoring a chunk of the gameplay? Upgrading the gear and the subtractive defense it grants is the main reason why the game isn't a challenge. The food is just a cherry ontop of that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Or just limit yourself by not...upgrading your armors and ignoring a chunk of the gameplay? Upgrading the gear and the subtractive defense it grants is the main reason why the game isn't a challenge. The food is just a cherry ontop of that.
By this reasoning, why have difficulty settings in games ever? Why not just tell players, "use less items" or "stick with the weaker guns" if they ever want more of a challenge?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I didn't know the "you cheated not only the game, but yourself" person was a goon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like "just don't engage with half of the game's mechanics" isn't a great way to design or balance things.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
never thought id see the sekiro argument in the zelda thread

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I still wonder how some people are apparently utterly incapable of not playing in the most optimal way possible, using every mechanic to their full extent and then complain that a game is too easy because they did everything in their power to win. Like, having ways to make things easier is a good thing because for the non broke-brained players they probably won't even realise the most optimal way to break the game and only stumble on things here and there as they play. Like, I doubt new players instantly know where to rush off to get themselves a billion max-hp food items, and even when they stumble across them they probably only notice them whenever they sit down at a cooking pot hours later, go "oh, neat" make some and then continue exploring.

And to be honest, sometimes having a "cheat" option can be nice to have around. Not everyone wants to play a game at their full A-game every day, sometimes you just wanna hit some buttons, explore a big world and get lost a bit with minimum frustration. And for those days it can be nice to just have a bunch of quick healing items that let you tank anything you come across.

Fake edit: Sorry if I come across a bit bitter. I just got some bad experience with the same type of arguments for other games where people complain that having even just the smallest way of making things easier for the player than what is considered to be the "intended" or "correct" way of playing is just bad game design and not the devs adding a little help for people who need it. And those are always the kind that for some reason just cannot help themselves to use those and apparently need someone to delete it for them, otherwise they just can't stop hitting those "make it easier" buttons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if u want to play a really good game that lets u attack a thousand times a second, pause the game and fill yourself with healing food, and has instant-kill spells, check out bloodstained ritual of the night

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's amazing how much better goons know than the silly game designers always trying to "tune" game balance, lol don't they know the players can just do that themselves??

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

scary ghost dog posted:

if u want to play a really good game that lets u attack a thousand times a second, pause the game and fill yourself with healing food, and has instant-kill spells, check out bloodstained ritual of the night

:hmmyes:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

It's amazing how much better goons know than the silly game designers always trying to "tune" game balance, lol don't they know the players can just do that themselves??

breath of the wild has one of the most empowering and fair difficulty curves ive ever played, partly because of the ability to eat as much food as u need, which only saves your life if u dont die instantly

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like "just don't engage with half of the game's mechanics" isn't a great way to design or balance things.

Agreed.

Also, there is a mental itch that gets scratched by doing your level best to exploit the intended game mechanics to their fullest, and to excel at the challenge put before you.

It is definitely less satisfying to self-limit

This is probably not true for everyone, but figuring out how to get gud is part of the fun for many people and telling them to intentionally get bad in an arbitrary way is going to leave them feeling less than enthusiastic about the gameplay

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Agreed.

Also, there is a mental itch that gets scratched by doing your level best to exploit the intended game mechanics to their fullest, and to excel at the challenge put before you.

It is definitely less satisfying to self-limit

This is probably not true for everyone, but figuring out how to get gud is part of the fun for many people and telling them to intentionally get bad in an arbitrary way is going to leave them feeling less than enthusiastic about the gameplay

maybe the combat isnt really a big focus in breath of the wild like it is in sekiro.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

breath of the wild has one of the most empowering and fair difficulty curves ive ever played, partly because of the ability to eat as much food as u need, which only saves your life if u dont die instantly
I'm fine with food still being really strong, I just don't think "if I have enough food I'm basically an unkillable God" is great game design in and of itself, and I think self-limiting is awkward because obviously you're expected to use food on some level for "medium" challenge, and deciding what's the right level to me feels like if I was deciding how high Mario could jump and intentionally jumping slightly lower than normal all the time to keep things fair

scary ghost dog posted:

maybe the combat isnt really a big focus in breath of the wild like it is in sekiro.
Right which is why to me it's a minor complaint overall, same as durability. The game is still amazing

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 29, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cicero posted:

You're still getting hit dude. Don't get hit. If you were any good at dodging and parrying you'd never even notice the food mechanic.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I dunno man maybe you haven’t realized you’ve outgrown Nintendo games. It’s not the game, it’s you.

Meanwhile I’m still enjoying the fact that I can jump in and explore for an hour or so just seeing scenery and even though I have probably put over 300 hours easily into it I still haven’t discovered all of the big rock dudes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

I'm fine with food still being really strong, I just don't think "if I have enough food I'm basically an unkillable God" is great game design in and of itself, and I think self-limiting is awkward because obviously you're expected to use food on some level, and deciding what's the right level to me feels like if I was deciding how high Mario could jump and intentionally jumping slightly lower than normal all the time to keep things fair

Right which is why to me it's a minor complaint overall, same as durability. The game is still amazing

honestly its a tiring argument that doesnt need to be made so i dont know why youre so set on explaining it. the mario analogy makes no sense, it would be more accurate to say its like never using a fire flower, which is actually a fun challenge

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

You're still getting hit dude. Don't get hit. If you were any good at dodging and parrying you'd never even notice the food mechanic.
There isn't a :smug: big enough in the world

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
love the insane games goon style of post where they spend 50 essay length posts obsessively complaining about some minor detail then say “but the games is really good, i love it even”

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cicero posted:

Please stop.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

honestly its a tiring argument that doesnt need to be made so i dont know why youre so set on explaining it. the mario analogy makes no sense, it would be more accurate to say its like never using a fire flower, which is actually a fun challenge
It's kind of like if you could collect a ton of fire flowers and they let you rocket boost like Azula so you could just bypass all the jump challenges, and you were expected to do this some of the time for a "normal" run, but not too often, and it's basically left up to you what the level of reasonableness is. I get that some players are totally fine with that though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

love the insane games goon style of post where they spend 50 essay length posts obsessively complaining about some minor detail then say “but the games is really good, i love it even”
Have you not noticed that this doesn't just happen to games, but basically anything? People nitpick what they love precisely because they love it, so the little things they don't love stand out all the more. I could tell you way more minor details that bother me about a game I love like Starcraft than one I'm meh about like Mario Party.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

It's kind of like if you could collect a ton of fire flowers and they let you rocket boost like Azula so you could just bypass all the jump challenges, and you were expected to do this some of the time for a "normal" run, but not too often, and it's basically left up to you what the level of reasonableness is. I get that some players are totally fine with that though.

didnt play super mario bros 3 i see

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

Have you not noticed that this doesn't just happen to games, but basically anything? People nitpick what they love precisely because they love it, so the little things they don't love stand out all the more. I could tell you way more minor details that bother me about a game I love like Starcraft than one I'm meh about like Mario Party.

most people dont lose their minds trying to explain it like lady macbeth

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cicero posted:

Did you even play master mode? Why don't you just ignore the shrines and armor options and fight Ganon on naked with 3 hearts?

Its weird how obsessed you are about the food mechanic yet you can max out 4 star knight armor to trivialize most damage and thats not "cheating" as you put it.

Is it also cheating to sneak in and loot Hyrule castle for the best weapons? What about wearing damage up armor? Adding 2 full stamina wheels so you can climb from sea level to Mt Lanryu in one go?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Actually, I'm convinced, but I think you're overlooking the core issue. Even if you do die, the constant autosaves ensure no progress is ever lost, allowing for unlimited attempts at full resources in any given scenario. And without autosaves players would save constantly producing the same result. Yes, it is ultimately the save system that makes BotW impossible to lose, removing all undesired consequences from player actions.

To rectify this I propose BotW should have permadeath. And to stop players from memorizing the map it should be randomly generated each time. And tile based.And items should be randomly cursed, and need identified.

For real though, even limited to 'just' four faries you were effectively unkillable in past Zeldas too, it's not unique to BotW.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

didnt play super mario bros 3 i see
You have a limited number of p-wings from what I remember

I mean maybe there's a way to get infinite p-wings, but I don't think it was obvious, especially pre-internet

And I like arguing on internet about my dumb nerd hobbies, no mind losing required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

To rectify this I propose BotW should have permadeath. And to stop players from memorizing the map it should be randomly generated each time. And tile based.And items should be randomly cursed, and need identified.
A roguelike legit Zelda would be pretty rad. (I know about Cadence but dear God am I bad at its rhythm gameplay)

quote:

For real though, even limited to 'just' four faries you were effectively unkillable in past Zeldas too, it's not unique to BotW.
I think you may be underestimating how bad the average gamer is. Faeries generally didn't restore you to full health either, right?