Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

cities skylines is an ok early-midgame city-builder but once you need mass transit it's kind of a nightmare because it's a lot of work up front laying out every single route/stop manually, it breaks badly and is hard to fix if you make minor changes to the roads, and to get it working optimally in a huge city you really have to abandon any intuitive sense of how it should work and read a nerd's 20 page wiki treatise on exactly how to lay out and fund all your subway/bus lines. And just forget about trains, because the moment you try to use them heavily they'll poo poo the bed and hardlock your entire rail system across the region, causing trains full of imports and exports to despawn

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The frustrating thing is, up until the traffic nightmares start cropping up, the game is incredibly chill as far as city-builders go. I never felt much pressure and even took the time to hand-draw some cool highway interchanges, etc.

But once traffic becomes a priority, it's basically your top priority, and it just makes the game less a relaxing SimCity game and more a frenetic traffic simulator.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it falls into the same category as Planet Coaster. A great idea, but too much focus on ultra-micro-managing and less on enjoying the overall experience, to the point where in the end it only really appeals to detail fanatics.

I'm kind of hoping Planet Zoo doesn't fall into this same trap and strikes a happy medium between the banal and limited management of Jurassic World Evolution, and the insane "place every pebble" style of Planet Coaster. Well, that and actual having a management and goal system that isn't complete perfunctory as well. Not placing any bets on that game yet though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Agent-based citybuilders are kind of a trap in general because they inevitably turn into hectic traffic simulators, often with interfaces that don't scale nearly well enough for it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Like, I definitely appreciate the concept of "Industrial zones make A Thing that then gets moved to and sold in Commercial zones and god help you if they need to go through Residential areas" but the reality of it ends up being that there's essentially One Specific Way to design your cities if you want traffic to flow reasonably through it. Plus if your Industrial isn't producing enough for even a day, you then also need to worry about trucks coming off the highways with imported goods.

Also connecting off/onramps is a loving nightmare, I dunno why the road building system always has such a fit but I hate it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it falls into the same category as Planet Coaster. A great idea, but too much focus on ultra-micro-managing and less on enjoying the overall experience, to the point where in the end it only really appeals to detail fanatics.

I'm kind of hoping Planet Zoo doesn't fall into this same trap and strikes a happy medium between the banal and limited management of Jurassic World Evolution, and the insane "place every pebble" style of Planet Coaster. Well, that and actual having a management and goal system that isn't complete perfunctory as well. Not placing any bets on that game yet though.

I think the issue is 'place every pebble' becomes the standard because tycoon games don't get actual budgets anymore, but they're still made by nerds obsessed with a crazy level of detail, so you don't get decent random generators or a reasonable level of scope.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just really don't mind abstraction, Simcity 4 let you design gigantic cities and regions including agricultural areas and scenic nature places and while it's not perfect, the traffic simulation does the job and feels plausible enough. It also has more pleasing graphics than the comparatively gaudy Skylines with its bland expanses of perfectly green grass.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

all of these games just need a system like governors in stellaris, where at a certain point your scope is above the day to day triumphs and tribulations of traffic planning and you can delegate it to your traffic advisor who will do a good enough job with some cheats under the hood if necessary that you won't have to involve yourself in the planning of every bus stop to make your city work unless you really want to do it

e: i also wish you could delegate the late-conquest planet-hopping in stellaris to your admirals/generals

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Maybe I never made a big enough city but jamming subways and bike lanes everywhere seemed to work fine. Only ever do the smallest roads and if there's a little traffic well that's their own dumb fault for driving.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

But once traffic becomes a priority, it's basically your top priority, and it just makes the game less a relaxing SimCity game and more a frenetic traffic simulator.

that's because this is all cities: skylines was ever supposed to be. sc3k supremacy, traffic is an abstraction of average daily density and the only individual vehicles that are ever simulated in real time are emergency services

poverty goat posted:

e: i also wish you could delegate the late-conquest planet-hopping in stellaris to your admirals/generals

you used to be able to do this in the early nobunaga's ambition games and let me tell you delegated AI generals are more vicious, insane, and greedy than the most warmongery human player. you delegate it once and the game is won in eight turns, tops

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 28, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I kind of get why some people prefer SC3K over 4 but come on 4 was pretty incredible, with that giant rear end region view where you could build a small country.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah 4 was really cool. i accidentally terraformed my region though and carved out part of a mountain that was shared over four adjoining city tiles and the hosed up visual aesthetic bugged me forever after that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

yeah 4 was really cool. i accidentally terraformed my region though and carved out part of a mountain that was shared over four adjoining city tiles and the hosed up visual aesthetic bugged me forever after that

There was a "align terrain with neighbors" button but yeah it didn't work well on corners if the neighbors were at totally different levels.

My favorite region in 4 was a snowy Scandinavian style place with big fjords where I would build small villages connected by rail, that's something you could never do in Skylines, where every city just looks like San Francisco.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I, uh, liked SimCity 5. At least once I realized what they we're trying to do the gameplay just clicked for me. EA shot themselves in the foot forcing Maxis to lie and claim it was a main series reboot, it's a gaiden game hyperfocused on online collaboration (or region management after the offline patch). You're supposed to think about the whole region the way you would think about your single city in 3k/4, specialize each lot in one thing and share resources between them. The futurist expansion also changes up the gameplay loop and has a nice Papers, Please-style "making a point through gameplay" mechanic where it's really hard not to make your community one of the many arms of a global corporate dystopia

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
everyone knows the only reason to ever play EA City was to build an unpowered ghetto with no jobs, set taxes to 0, and unleash your unwashed hordes on your neighbors, destroying their safety, health, and happiness ratings and decaying their cities into unpowered ghettoes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

everyone knows the only reason to ever play EA City was to build an unpowered ghetto with no jobs, set taxes to 0, and unleash your unwashed hordes on your neighbors, destroying their safety, health, and happiness ratings and decaying their cities into unpowered ghettoes

lmao I remember someone here did a nice elaborate writeup of this, I wish I could find it again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao I remember someone here did a nice elaborate writeup of this, I wish I could find it again.

I posted about it previously in this thread. Not sure if you referencing that or someone else, because I'm sure others have covered it in more detail. But here it is...

Chomp8645 posted:

If you don't know, the SimCity 2013 online gimmick was mandatory, and I don't think they had private regions at first. One of the online gimmicks was that, if you had bus depots, your citizens could travel to other player's cities for work... or to look for work.

Someone quickly figured out a pretty good grief. Make a new city in a region, and build nothing but residential. Because the game was bad, even a city with just residential buildings (no commercial, no industry, no UTILITIES) would still populate over time. Additionally, a citizen's decision to permanently leave town was based on nice things/services/jobs versus taxes. Because this is SimCity 2013, you can guess at the sophistication of that algorithm. Short version: if you set taxes to zero nobody would ever leave, because their desire to stay could not be less than zero, while taxes were zero. Basically you just used your starting funds to make a giant row of tenement blocks in the wilderness with no services, which left you with plenty of people, but no jobs and lots of crime. Without police stations, the crime wouldn't go down. Without taxes, people wouldn't leave. And without jobs and services, they wanted to look elsewhere.

That's where the bus depots come in. If you used the last of your starting funds to add a bunch of bus depots to Remote Slum City then your citizens would take the bus to other people's towns to look for jobs. For reasons unknown, the criminals would do the same. Maybe they just wanted a change scenery. In this way you could flood other player's cities with your vast hordes of unemployed and criminal citizens arriving daily by bus. This would overwhelm most other player's police services, while also significantly lowering average happiness in the city on account of all the unemployed and the general Judge Dredd atmosphere on the streets.

When night fell your unemployed and criminal hordes would re-board the buses and return to sleep in their wilderness tenements without power or sewage, before getting up the next day to do it all over again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yep, that's the one, thank you!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

just finished gris

can't stop crying

what should i do goons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I finish Gris? I played it for about 30 minutes and thought it was really boring.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Telebite posted:

just finished gris

can't stop crying

what should i do goons

maybe you should play a good game next time, like pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Should I finish Gris? I played it for about 30 minutes and thought it was really boring.

Don't know what that is but if it's boring don't play it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i had a college roommate who, he was a chill guy but he was part of a fairly serious raiding guild on an RP server during the onyxia era and i tell you the drama within his own guild was more gripping than an episode of maury with four belligerent potential dads who insist the kid can't possibly be theirs. and sometimes more shocking than finding out that none of them in fact is the father

I like Eve Online drama. I do not like Eve Online.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

maybe you should play a good game next time, like pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky
Did Sky had a different plot than Darkness/Time or was it just an expanded version?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
just an expanded version. but it does have an epilogue for grovyle's story, and you can play as bidoof getting 5000 pokemon dollars from his mother

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yep, that's the one, thank you!

Made me laugh just as hard as the first time, hahaha

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Gaming is just another destructive medium most "gamers" use to escape their own mediocrity problems.

Gaming enables toxic escapism.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Gaming is just another destructive medium most "gamers" use to escape their own mediocrity problems.
much like your posts

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

much like your posts

Pff, I'm a poo poo poster even when I game. I own my utter lack of worth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It is possible to enjoy gaming responsibly in moderation

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

fridge corn posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on. Let's not say anything we can't take back here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Escapism is good.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

It's possible but it mostly does not happen.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Escapism is good.

I had this crazy film professor who insisted that all escapist media was worthless. He had a meltdown when Return of the King won the Oscar for best movie lol

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

is pepsi ok posted:

I had this crazy film professor who insisted that all escapist media was worthless. He had a meltdown when Return of the King won the Oscar for best movie lol

I bet Crash gave him a stroke, or at least it should have

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Interesting to hear his correct opinions about escapist media, but what did he do that was crazy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why would anyone want to actually enjoy entertainment when you can just watch Stan Brakhage films and get high off smelling your own farts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Most of the popular levels on level makers like Megaman Maker or Mario Maker are bad and don't really take advantage of the different elements in a harmonious way. Why does everything have to turn into a puzzle platformer, lazy auto-playing level or kaizo? It's hard to find a real, normal level that creatively uses elements in the way an actual level designer would do.

Like, the joy of playing Megaman is in jumping around and shooting motherfuckers while dealing with obstacles. It's not about navigating a stupid rear end teleporter maze like 90% of the levels in the editor.

Most people also never use basic priming techniques, like showing an enemy in an easy location so you can throw more of them at the player in more difficult situations later on.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 1, 2019

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I want a level that is nothing but dicks and vaginas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Most of the popular levels on level makers like Megaman Maker or Mario Maker are bad and don't really take advantage of the different elements in a harmonious way. Why does everything have to turn into a puzzle platformer, lazy auto-playing level or kaizo? It's hard to find a real, normal level that creatively uses elements in the way an actual level designer would do.

Like, the joy of playing Megaman is in jumping around and shooting motherfuckers while dealing with obstacles. It's not about navigating a stupid rear end teleporter maze like 90% of the levels in the editor.

Most people also never use basic priming techniques, like showing an enemy in an easy location so you can throw more of them at the player in more difficult situations later on.

Mario Maker 2 addresses this pretty well. I can't find screenshots but the level maker tutorial specifically addresses things like "surprise deaths are no fun for anyone" and "don't build your level so that a single block broken accidentally forces you to restart" and the like.