Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If your state is not currently governed by Democrats, it probably never again will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pope Guilty posted:

If your state is not currently governed by Democrats, it probably never again will be.

Gerrymandering does nothing to stop a Democrat from being elected governor, and that alone can stop most gerrymandering efforts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Gerrymandering does nothing to stop a Democrat from being elected governor, and that alone can stop most gerrymandering efforts.

Tell that to Wisconsin.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Pope Guilty posted:

Nevada just turned the table after a decade long effort. Not only is the Governor a Democrat, the legislature is majority Democrat and majority women.

They’re all corporate bootlickers with hardly a progressive among them and no stomach to raise taxes, but it can happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Craptacular! posted:

Nevada just turned the table after a decade long effort. Not only is the Governor a Democrat, the legislature is majority Democrat and majority women.

They’re all corporate bootlickers with hardly a progressive among them and no stomach to raise taxes, but it can happen.

That's the one weakness of gerrymanders, when they fall they fall hard. An ideal gerrymander wins a large number of seats by very small margins, too much momentum in the other direction and all of them change hands.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

haveblue posted:

That's the one weakness of gerrymanders, when they fall they fall hard. An ideal gerrymander wins a large number of seats by very small margins, too much momentum in the other direction and all of them change hands.

So, the frustrating part of this is that most blue states are going :decorum: and not completely redraw things to completely lock out the GOP, while the red states are going to jump on this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Because it needs to be reposted every time gerrymandering comes up:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something people are missing, the Fair Representation Act (or another thing that implements Single Transferable Vote or another system like it) would also destroy gerrymandering pretty thoroughly, even with this bullshit ruling. Not completely, in that you could technically draw districts that would have a slight bias relative to other possible districts, but it would still make things dramatically more fair. And, best of all, it can be done entirely at the federal level, without an amendment; it just needs to pass Congress and be signed by the President.

Electoral reform needs to become part of the Democratic platform, even more than ever now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Roland Jones posted:

Something people are missing, the Fair Representation Act (or another thing that implements Single Transferable Vote or another system like it) would also destroy gerrymandering pretty thoroughly, even with this bullshit ruling. Not completely, in that you could technically draw districts that would have a slight bias relative to other possible districts, but it would still make things dramatically more fair. And, best of all, it can be done entirely at the federal level, without an amendment; it just needs to pass Congress and be signed by the President.

Electoral reform needs to become part of the Democratic platform, even more than ever now.

If states don't adhere to the federal voting laws, is there redress in the federal courts? are such issues justiciable under this decision?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If states don't adhere to the federal voting laws, is there redress in the federal courts? are such issues justiciable under this decision?

Congress controls federal elections, if I recall correctly; the states carry them out, of course, but much influence over the particulars of how they're done that the states have is there because Congress lets them have it. Unless the Supreme Court decides the Constitution's explicit text no longer counts (which to be fair wouldn't be the first time), then the states have to suck it up and deal. (I could admittedly be missing the specifics, but I pretty clearly remember that this is how it broadly works. At the least, the reason we don't have multi-member districts at the federal level is because Congress outlawed them entirely, and similarly they could mandate them if they wanted. There was a really good thing on this subject I read a while back, but that was over a year ago so I can't find it.)

Technically local elections could still be winner-take-all, First Past The Post nonsense, but it'd make things extremely confusing and attempts to exploit it might backfire if federal and state stuff used entirely different systems and districts and whatnot.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 27, 2019

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
edit - wrong thread

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Relentless posted:

So, the frustrating part of this is that most blue states are going :decorum: and not completely redraw things to completely lock out the GOP, while the red states are going to jump on this.

California un-gerrymandered itself because everyone was so comfortably secured that they became as arrogant as early 2000s CA Dems were. CA Republicans that spend taxpayer money on cruises with their mistresses and buying video games on Steam are, surprise, from the hardened red counties.

So yes, in this case :decorum: is the path that avoids a trainwreck of government. Reserving seats for specific parties just results in the shittiest person of that party landing there.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Inglonias posted:

They actually seemed to say "Everyone knows this isn't ok but hell if we're gonna do anything about it" which somehow feels worse?

Yeah even the loving National Review said that gerrymandering is bad. Though that was while still agreeing with the court's decision, so it might just be a case of 'oh we can score some easy moderate points here without actually affecting anything.'

Also, time to be outraged again:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/alabama-woman-charged-in-fetal-death-her-shooter-goes-free/ar-AADvl7t?ocid=spartanntp

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 28, 2019

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1144714252139343872

Desperately hoping that they win the cup so Trump can go into a pants-making GBS threads rage about it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I will never get over how right-wingers get so angry about women with dyed hair.

What a loving stupid thing to care so much about. A person (although they usually complain about women) has blue hair. Why do you care so much.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I will never get over how right-wingers get so angry about women with dyed hair.

What a loving stupid thing to care so much about. A person (although they usually complain about women) has blue hair. Why do you care so much.

Change is bad. Styles/music/fashion/comedy peaked when I was 25. That was the moment.

My employer read some lovely Megan McArdle article a couple years ago and decided that the fact that people don’t double space after periods was the worst thing ever. Send him an email that isn’t double spaced and he’ll respond “grammar”

Because the way it was when I was in school should be eternal.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Language is immutable. I know this because um ah I am very intelligent and uh

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Xiahou Dun posted:

The purpose of women (to them) is to be attractive, and they don’t find it attractive. Even worse when it’s a woman they would think was very attractive otherwise. Tattoos (and learnings, to some extent) are similar.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Praxis Prion fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 29, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xrunner posted:

Change is bad. Styles/music/fashion/comedy peaked when I was 25. That was the moment.

My employer read some lovely Megan McArdle article a couple years ago and decided that the fact that people don’t double space after periods was the worst thing ever. Send him an email that isn’t double spaced and he’ll respond “grammar”

I hate this so much. Not you. Your boss and their moronic adherence to a dumb grammar rule that isn't even grammar. It's a style rule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I double space because it's literally an unthinking reflex to double tap the space bar bashed into my head after years of computer classes in elementary school, but demanding that of others is such a shitheel thing to do

what a weirdo

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

I double space because it's literally an unthinking reflex to double tap the space bar bashed into my head after years of computer classes in elementary school, but demanding that of others is such a shitheel thing to do

what a weirdo

Yeah for me its from learning to type on a typewriter instead of a word processor. I can't not double space. Its never ever come up though, and my most embarrassing office email foul has been an inappropriately enthusiastic reply-all about a las vegas themed party.
To keep things on target though; Putin seems to respect Elton John's music, but his being a homosexual is just a step too far..
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1TU0HB

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

what a weirdo

Most forums actually strip out the second space when you hit post. It's been like that for a good ten years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Most forums actually strip out the second space when you hit post. It's been like that for a good ten years.

All HTML renderers collapse multiple consecutive spaces by default, and have done so since 1994ish. Forums don’t have to do anything special to make that happen.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Data Graham posted:

All HTML renderers collapse multiple consecutive spaces by default, and have done so since 1994ish. Forums don’t have to do anything special to make that happen.

This.

A proper font spaces appropriately automatically. The real reason why you shouldn't bother double spacing after punctuation anymore is because automatic kearning looks nicer, so just let the machines do the labor for you.

It took a long time to break my double-spacing habit, and I learned how to type before I could read because my dad has taught keyboarding since electric typewriters were a thing...so if I can unlearn deeply ingrained muscle memory, anyone can.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Lol at using periods who cares about punctuation it's 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Garrand posted:

Lol at using periods who cares about punctuation it's 2019

And yet you used an apostrophe! CURIOUS!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

And yet you used an apostrophe! CURIOUS!

I, am very intelligent!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I double tap after every sentence to make sure it's dead

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xand_Man posted:

I double tap after every sentence to make sure it's dead

Stealing this for my next chat with my editor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

if I can [do thing], anyone can.

Welcome to the Republican Party

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Bloop posted:

Welcome to the Republican Party

Geezus, you're right. Let me strike that from my loving vocab immediately. Brb, Silkwood showering away the shame.

That said, srsly, in the name of typography, consider not using 2 spaces.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I won't unlearn double spacing because in the near future of ecological destruction and the end of modern technologies I'll have to go back to typewriters to leave poo poo posts for the roaches.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Double-spacing looks bad even on typewriters.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lambert posted:

Double-spacing looks bad even on typewriters.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That said, srsly, in the name of typography, consider not using 2 spaces.
You can pry my 2 spaces from my cold dead hands.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Truly this is the most pressing thing, worthy of our discussion all day weekend long.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You guys all sound like Ghiaccio over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDGYkpWvhRs

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

2 space or not 2 space? That is the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

xrunner posted:

Lol this is a rule literally left over from the days of typewriters, made to apply to typewriters.