Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I got the Pilot Sports A/S 3+ on my '17 Mazda3 and they've been pretty good for the first couple thousand miles I've had them. With the full Costco promo it was ~$630 for everything.

Here is the stupid steed earlier this week in Yellowstone.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do I have a steering angle sensor if I don't have traction or stability control on my 3? It is electric power assist though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whuff, my 2008.5 3 is nearing 2k in repairs for odds and ends and a rotted fuse box that they suspect is throwing electrical ODB2 low voltage input codes on various systems. I really should have just bought a new car and I think I'm suffering from escalation of commitment to this old girl.

like 2k is generously half the value of this car right now lol

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 that got totaled in 2014 that I loved and I've been driving a penalty box Juke since. Last night I picked up a brand new 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve in Titanium Flash Mica for $26,000. I think I'm in love and happy to be back in the Mazda family.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Whuff, my 2008.5 3 is nearing 2k in repairs for odds and ends and a rotted fuse box that they suspect is throwing electrical ODB2 low voltage input codes on various systems. I really should have just bought a new car and I think I'm suffering from escalation of commitment to this old girl.

like 2k is generously half the value of this car right now lol

Currently looking at a $500 bill to fix the A/C in my 2008.5 and thinking the same thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

wa27 posted:

Currently looking at a $500 bill to fix the A/C in my 2008.5 and thinking the same thing.

I got quoted $1400 to get my A/C fixed. Leak from condensor and a pipe at the back of the motor. A/C stuff is disgustingly expensive. Going to have to do it myself.

In other news, saw a very nice looking almost new Mazda 3, lowered to perfection and with wind deflectors on the windows which surprised me in looking badass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wa27 posted:

Just got quoted $440 to repair the AC in the MS6 and thinking it's time to ditch the car.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
The cat converter stuff would’ve run me $1000 easily, mechanic agreed to just let it slide for now but it’s sounding worser and worser :( light is gone but I’m wondering if I blew an exhaust leak or something.
Reckon paint will run me 1-2k too, gonna outstrip value if I have to really get into this stuff. A bit bummed to have all this right around 100k.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

big trivia FAIL posted:

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 that got totaled in 2014 that I loved and I've been driving a penalty box Juke since. Last night I picked up a brand new 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve in Titanium Flash Mica for $26,000. I think I'm in love and happy to be back in the Mazda family.

Awesome, that's a really good price too.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Awesome, that's a really good price too.

I was not planning on actually buying yesterday until he gave me a quote of $26 and change. The thing was stickered at around $34.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I've owned two 6s, a 2003 and a 2007. I covet the newer generations, I covet them.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 14, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

AC broken? Buy a miata.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Does anyone have experience with BOTH the 2014-16 and 17-18 Mazda3? The newer ones have a cool center console but I’m not sure how I feel about the lack of a brake lever—on the one hand the console is really neat with the sliding cover and all, while on the other hand I can’t really picture driving a car without a handbrake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I’ve never had an issue with the electronic brake on my 2016 - it works just fine for parking, has hill hold and it’s not like I’m ever going to try re-enacting Tokyo drift in this car anyway.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can you accidentally engage the electronic parking brake while driving?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

it’s not like I’m ever going to try re-enacting Tokyo drift in this car anyway.

Not with that fuckin attitude.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can you accidentally engage the electronic parking brake while driving?

I don't think it will engage over like 10mph or something like that. To each their own but it seems like an odd reason to be turned off of a car.

Edit: Actually it can be engaged when moving, but you literally have to pull the switch up and hold it for like 5 seconds before it will.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 14, 2019

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well if people who drive with it like it then I won’t rule it out! Not that there are a lot of used 2017-18 3s on the market right now, but yeah.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone have a suggestion for a roof rack? I need something for moving a canoe/cargo box. '18 MS3

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a roof rack? I need something for moving a canoe/cargo box. '18 MS3

Does it have the mounting holes still? My 08 did and they’re miles better than the style that clips under the doors.

If it does, get the Yakima landing pads specific to your car and then buy one of the bazillion racks on Craigslist from people who spent $800 to be an Outdoor Enthusiast™️ and used it once.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We were talking about this in the Subaru thread actually. Both Yakima & Thule are good.

edit: what's weird was the mounting holes were hidden under the roof rails on mine. Why did Mazda do that? I put in new rails with removable clips, which is an OEM part. :iiam:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Charles posted:

We were talking about this in the Subaru thread actually. Both Yakima & Thule are good.

edit: what's weird was the mounting holes were hidden under the roof rails on mine. Why did Mazda do that? I put in new rails with removable clips, which is an OEM part. :iiam:

I just drilled mine and sold the car with the landing pads still installed. I am the PO you dream about.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Charles posted:

Yeah I just saw those are available with the Mazda OEM roof rack. Weird design choice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Charles posted:

I see a lot of older Mazdas missing their little plastic mount covers so that wasn't a great solution either.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I see a lot of older Mazdas missing their little plastic mount covers so that wasn't a great solution either.

I have a different problem. I overtightened my pads and I guess it bent those mounting points upwards. Now they are sticking out of the holes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is going to sound REALLY really dumb but can someone with a 1st or 2nd gen hatchback 3 snap a photo of how their middle seatbelt in the back routes around their left side headrest? Mine just kind of limps around unnaturally but I don’t see any other place it would go.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

From memory there is a loop for it to go through but it never looks quite right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You mean this? I don't have a loop on my '06.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Or do you mean when it's not in use?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God, thank you. The reason it looked out of place was that I’ve had it disconnected from day one and I guess when the car was in the shop the guys hooked it up to test I guess? It looked so out of place to me but I couldn’t out a finger on why. Disconnected and stowed it just now and it’s back to tidy. Appreciate it!

E: on the same note, the button that keeps your small kids from rolling down windows and jumping out was pushed in by the guys testing electrical but I’ve literally never used that button so I forgot it even existed. When I got the car back from the shop and only the drivers side window was opening I panicked and drove half way back to the shop before I realized a) that button existed and b) was engaged.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 22, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

God, thank you. The reason it looked out of place was that I’ve had it disconnected from day one and I guess when the car was in the shop the guys hooked it up to test I guess? It looked so out of place to me but I couldn’t out a finger on why. Disconnected and stowed it just now and it’s back to tidy. Appreciate it!

E: on the same note, the button that keeps your small kids from rolling down windows and jumping out was pushed in by the guys testing electrical but I’ve literally never used that button so I forgot it even existed. When I got the car back from the shop and only the drivers side window was opening I panicked and drove half way back to the shop before I realized a) that button existed and b) was engaged.

I wish that you could still control it from the driver's position anyway, but that's the way it's wired. I was bringing a dog home for foster and she discovered if she stood on the door handle the window would go down :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i really don't like the plastic oil filter housing on the 2004 2.3L

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

You might want to look at the AC compressor too. The sheared bolt on the passenger side motor mount for my car was probably one factor on loving up the AC compressor and as Mazda said, the radiator core support is also damaged (gonna double check that with another mechanic).

As for mounts, I picked this up for the rear, which is actually for an Electric Focus, but it fits: CM5Z-6068-A
Gotta grab this bolt too: W500545-S900

More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/4bymrj/just_installed_an_electric_focus_rear_motor_mount/

Totally agree with the one post that mentions the E-Focus mount is a slightly stiffer mount than the stock one, but nowhere as rough as the performance oriented aftermarket rear motor mounts. I still have my AWR 88 duro and that was way worse on nvh.

e: IIRC you are in Austin too, you are welcome to take my car out for a spin if you want to try before you buy.

Bringing this post up from the dead, but I'm about to order the Ford Focus front strut bearings and tophats and I remembered you had recommended the eFocus rear motor mount. Any reason I shouldn't just go ahead and do it? I think I had mentioned this a long time ago, but the PO had claimed he put some sort of Cusco RMM insert to stiffen the RMM. I kind of figure for $60 and not much difficulty to swap out the RMM, it couldn't hurt.

Edit: I just went ahead and ordered it along with the bolt. I figure my RMM, even with some insert, probably has enough mileage on it that this can't hurt. Now I just need Edge Autosport to confirm that they ordered the Koni S.A.S. shocks and struts and I'll be all set to refresh some of my suspension.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 25, 2019

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm happy with the E-Focus mount. It has the benefit of better shifting compared to the stock mount, while it the added nvh is rather minimal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

These are the ST X coilovers at full height. Looks really good, drives well, but not what I wanted. I've made a huge mistake.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Spray paint white walls on those fat rear end tires and I'll give you a silver star.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Charles posted:

These are the ST X coilovers at full height. Looks really good, drives well, but not what I wanted. I've made a huge mistake.

I think I know roughly where that picture was taken. Anyways it looks great, what about it don't you like?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've had a replacement cabin air filter sitting in a box for probably almost a year... But it's just so hot outside. :piaa:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

MetaJew posted:

I've had a replacement cabin air filter sitting in a box for probably almost a year... But it's just so hot outside. :piaa:

Takes literally 30 seconds to replace in a gen 3. Maybe 45 seconds if you've never done it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Takes literally 30 seconds to replace in a gen 3. Maybe 45 seconds if you've never done it before.

Lmao not on the 1st gen.