Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Nodosaur posted:

I remember reading about how Masuda was hospitalized during the development of RSE. This is the guy they're saying doesn't care about the quality of the franchise or its games.

As somebody who had to deal with software development, I can confirm that high effort garbage exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Not saying it doesn't. But nevertheless, the end result is being made to say quite a lot about his character and justify the harassment he's getting.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, people are trying to catch Masuda in a lie, or make it out like they haven't been improving move animations at all, while at the same time ignoring the ones that are actually improved. All I did was describe how Corviknight's Megahorn was an improvement over the last gen's version.

People are manipulating the issue by ignoring some examples and overplaying others, instead of just honestly saying that they don't think better animations on some moves are worth it. It's not enough that Game Freak made a decision they disagree with, they have to be lying or incompetent too.

Its not just that the idea of trading the number of pokemon for improved graphics "isn't worth it" (it isn't in my opinion, but its certainly fine if others feel differently), its that the argument that Game Freak offered of "we spent so much dev time on these graphics that we couldn't port over all the Pokemon" is poo poo, and at least partially false.

A. All the pokemon, mechanics and models wise, are already in the game engine, saying they would need tons of dev time to port is false.

B. Even if you bought their excuse, what exactly have they spent that dev time on again? One fancy animation for one rarely used skill? If they were going to sacrifice a full National Dex for improved graphics, I'd expect the open world in the vein of Xenoblade 2, not "Hyrule Field a la N64".

Its frustrating that Game Freak is acting like they've worked so hard on this and the fanbase is just ungrateful, when by every example they've shown us, they've cut corners and pared down content.

If their work is so impressive that it justifies the cut content, they should show it to us, or else not act surprised that nobody buys their excuses.

E:

Nodosaur posted:

I remember reading about how Masuda was hospitalized during the development of RSE. This is the guy they're saying doesn't care about the quality of the franchise or its games.

If you think Masuda has been anything but a mouthpiece for GF since ~DPPt, you're mistaken.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Annath posted:

B. Even if you bought their excuse, what exactly have they spent that dev time on again? One fancy animation for one rarely used skill? If they were going to sacrifice a full National Dex for improved graphics, I'd expect the open world in the vein of Xenoblade 2, not "Hyrule Field a la N64".

Ew, please no

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

Ew, please no

Feel however you want about the game itself, but it does have a beautiful environmental design.

I'm basically saying that if they'd said "We cut the number of pokemon, but the entire game world is designed like the Wild Area (with not lovely textures)", I'd be perfectly understanding. Not necessarily happy, but that tradeoff would at least sound like it makes sense.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I heard the news and went to this thread. I don’t know what I was expecting :ohno:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Annath posted:

If you think Masuda has been anything but a mouthpiece for GF since ~DPPt, you're mistaken.

He directed Black, White, and the Let's Go games after those so... forgive me for invoking the skeptical eyebrow as to that point and the rest of your post.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

He directed Black, White, and the Let's Go games after those so... forgive me for invoking the skeptical eyebrow as to that point and the rest of your post.

Nice way to sidestep my entire post.

Also, a job title can mean a lot of different things. Its extremely uncommon in most games for a single creator/originator to maintain the same level of involvement in the design of individual games as a series develops. They go from a direct creation role to a broad direction/oversight role.

Masuda isn't sitting at a desk designing every pokemon himself anymore, nor dictating specific game details. There are people for that now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so what proof do you have that he didn't act as a Director in the same capacity on, let's say, B&W, as he did Diamond and Pearl. That's all I'm asking you for.

quote:

Masuda isn't sitting at a desk designing every pokemon himself anymore, nor dictating specific game details. There are people for that now.

I'm. Not sure anyone was ever under the illusion that he did the first one, either. That'd be very silly, since he's never been credited as being part of the art department.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nodosaur posted:

Just talk about how you don't think better move animations or graphics are worth what we've lost.

people have been repeating this non stop for weeks, get the gently caress off your high horse

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also no one here is sending death threats or even mentioning specific gamefreak employees beyond the people who keep Kramering in so they can wring their hands about the 'discourse'

go tell Reddit or whoever the gently caress is actually doing that poo poo goddamn.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

so what proof do you have that he didn't act as a Director in the same capacity on, let's say, B&W, as he did Diamond and Pearl. That's all I'm asking you for.

I'm. Not sure anyone was ever under the illusion that he did the first one, either. That'd be very silly, since he's never been credited as being part of the art department.

Its normal for the creator of any long running commercial work to have a reduced role in it as time goes on, regardless of how they are credited. Since you are the one arguing that Masuda is somehow different in this respect, I'd expect you to be the one offering evidence to support your position.

If you have any, please feel free to post it, otherwise, this is turning into a derail.

In other news, I've been playing a sort of all-in-one mod for Emerald that I'm really enjoying. It rolls in all the pokemon available in 3rd gen games, and distributes them in a sensible manner, including lengendaries. It also has an optional module to roll in moveset changes that were implemented in FR/LG, which is very interesting, but a little buggy with low level trainers' pokemon sometimes not having any moves, so I disabled that part.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
People are not going to get off it. We live in the age of Twitter and constant rage cycling. To add to that nothing changes when people are silent about an issue.

The game doesn't look impressive and it came at a cost to the number of pokemon sonehow and it doesn't add up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Annath posted:

Its normal for the creator of any long running commercial work to have a reduced role in it as time goes on, regardless of how they are credited. Since you are the one arguing that Masuda is somehow different in this respect, I'd expect you to be the one offering evidence to support your position.

My evidence is that he is credited as a director on those titles. On titles where he only played a general managerial role, he's credited only as "General Producer" or Game Design-Advisor (he will sometimes have one of those titles on games where he's director too, among other things). There's also the Iwata Asks for Pokemon Black and White that has him discuss how he was personally involved in the title, with the fact that the game focused almost entirely on new Pokemon being something he was primarily responsible for. And barring that, if he's not making decisions about the general course of the game, who the hell is doing it on Let's Go, because I can't recognize anyone of equivalent role in the staff credits for those games.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 30, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Honestly, what is with your constant defense of a company that refuses to do better, despite having the means?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It feels like kind of a stretch to think that there will be any like performance improvements from not every pokemon being in the game, or even that it's weird there's not. I guess there's the idea that surely this decision was made in order to improve some other aspect of the game or put extra polish in other areas, but if anything it kinda reads to me the decision was made early in development and not so that they could devote more resources elsewhere.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

qnqnx posted:

Honestly, what is with your constant defense of a company that refuses to do better, despite having the means?

I wasn't aware that saying a person behaved in the manner of what one would expect of a director, and wasn't just a managerial figurehead, was in the same vein as anything else I've said about these games. The facts don't change just because you don't like the end result.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I wasn't aware that saying a person behaved in the manner of what one would expect of a director, and wasn't just a managerial figurehead, was in the same vein as anything else I've said about these games. The facts don't change just because you don't like the end result.

God drat are they paying you?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For_Great_Justice posted:

God drat are they paying you?

"He didn't do this."
"The evidence implies that he did do this."
"ARE THEY PAYING YOU?"

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

The facts are that GF hosed up. Masuda hosed up in particular with this ongoing PR disaster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what the HELL does that have to do with whether or not he was personally involved with the development of Pokemon Black & White or not?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

"He didn't do this."
"The evidence implies that he did do this."
"ARE THEY PAYING YOU?"

:allears:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

what the HELL does that have to do with whether or not he was personally involved with the development of Pokemon Black & White or not?

You are the one implying that because B&W was good means Masuda is and will always be good and infallible.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nodosaur posted:

I feel you’re trying to prove something that doesn’t even matter bro

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

qnqnx posted:

You are the one implying that because B&W was good means Masuda is and will always be good and infallible.

I was responding to Annath saying that Masuda has only been a mouthpiece since DPPt, and when they asked for proof that their statement wasn't true, I gave it. I'm sorry if you think that being skeptical of whatever else he said isn't justfied, what, I don't know, a few posts ago, but right now, he told me the burden of proof was on me, and I'm endeavoring to give it.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 30, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

loving hell this started because I posted something that I felt showed why people shouldn't unjustifiably harass the man but go off I guess

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nodosaur posted:

loving hell this started because I posted something that I felt showed why people shouldn't unjustifiably harass the man but go off I guess

Who the hell is harassing him

No one even mentioned him before you brought it up out of nowhere

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zore posted:

When did I ever say it was happening here??? When did I ever accuse anyone in this thread? This is my first post about it - If I was talking about people doing it here, I'd actually say "the people here". This is even on the same page as people talking about his violent death, which I completely ignored.

And no one brought it up? AnArmyOfMidgets expressed a similar point on the last page, here.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 30, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

To be fair, there were a few people earlier discussing which pokemon they'd rather see the man killed by.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlazetheInferno posted:

To be fair, there were a few people earlier discussing which pokemon they'd rather see the man killed by.

I hope someone paints a tunnel on a big wall so that Matsuda runs chasing all the pokemon he's personally banning and hits it so hard he turns into a one dimensional pancake and then he holds up a sign that says "Guess the road is closed"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

The loss of the National Dex and Masuda's personal execution of no less than 700 beloved Pokemon has broken many a brain.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

This whole argument sounds like a goddamn modern Seinfeld Episode.

George: They took away the National Dex Jerry!

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Wake me up when SwSh is out and hackers added in all the pokemon.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Gardevoir like Sylveon is trans. Gallade's should also be allowed to be female too.

gardevoir are trans. they're named Sirknight in japan but half of them are female

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
and now the same will apply to Sirfetch'd

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Y'all ever wonder how Pokemon like Gengar and Golem and Steelix evolve in the wild?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Nodosaur posted:

Y'all ever wonder how Pokemon like Gengar and Golem and Steelix evolve in the wild?

Gengar can't evolve ya silly billy

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nodosaur posted:

adoption

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

They trade themselves for each other via mass annual migrations, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was not aware that Pokemon adoption involved exposure to high amounts of electromagnetic radiation.