Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

poo poo... I need more money for the art, but Mushroom kingdom is out of jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I made an airship level! Bowser's fleet is on its way to the Mushroom Kingdom. Board Bowser's flagship and put a stop to it!

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
H0T-H7J-XSG
(Note: the second character is a zero.)

This is my first level, so I'd love some feedback. Let me know if any parts are too hard, seem unfair, or could otherwise be improved. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

There's lots of great stuff in this thread. I'm looking forward to playing more levels here.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Here's one I spent a little more time on. Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill MNB-F4G-7KF

Only my second level, so input and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

DorianGravy posted:

Note: the second character is a zero.

Don't sweat it, the ID search keyboard doesn't even allow for mystery charters like capital o's.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DorianGravy posted:

I made an airship level! Bowser's fleet is on its way to the Mushroom Kingdom. Board Bowser's flagship and put a stop to it!

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
H0T-H7J-XSG
(Note: the second character is a zero.)

This is my first level, so I'd love some feedback. Let me know if any parts are too hard, seem unfair, or could otherwise be improved. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

There's lots of great stuff in this thread. I'm looking forward to playing more levels here.

My only complaint is I hate bowser fire and wish it didn't come with every bowser. Good level

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Just made a level, it may or may not suck! Hopefully it doesn’t!

Time-Traveling Pipes
MGR-PNG-SYF

Mario travels to a post-apocalyptic future. It’s spooky!

(I wish I could find a way for it to mute the music immediately upon entering the sub-area. :()

The silence was a good call! I wish we had more control over the music in general, would be nice to theme it more personally. I played your level, I like the post-apoc idea in the subworld. There were a few jumps that could have been a little easier, took me a second to figure out to look for the blue time-travel pipe because the jump up there can only be made with a faster running jump.

Haha the hat you get for beating a level first is a pipe that kind of just looks like a PUA hat.

edit: People with images for their levels, is there a clean way to get pictures from Switch to PC or how's that going on?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 30, 2019

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Fiery-Fierce Dungeon Dash
510-PK3-91G

Super Mario Bros. -- Castle -- [Medium/Normal Difficulty] [Classic] [Themed]

Oh no, it's another Mario Maker level! This is my first earnest attempt getting used to the new interfaces and mechanics in the sequel - it's a multi-stage jaunt through a Mario Bros. themed dungeon level.

Break through the front defenses, and then find the three red coins to unlock the door to the spike maze! Two checkpoints available, and a few secret blocks/rooms and 1-Ups to find.

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 30, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MrRat posted:

DalaranJ would it be possible to change the code on the spreadsheet ?

Done.

eonwe posted:

Question...would anyone mind if I posted my stream when I'm going live?

We certainly would not mind. More streams please.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

Here's a new one. Trying to get down standard platforming before i try and get too fancy.

Wetlands Wanderer

KHQ-J25-PLF

This one's real good. Good stuff!

Random Stranger posted:

So using the Mario Galaxy music on my last stage inspired me and now I am so very sorry.

Going Galaxy
WB1-251-XKF
This was pretty clever, although I found it kinda hard. I'd suggest adding more coins to point the player around.

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, my first course done. Classic Kit: T59-98K-2NF

It's an all SMB1 theme level.
Not bad! The daytime bits felt straight out of SMB1, although the little Spiny pool in the underground area was a bit of a difficulty spike compared the level surrounding it.

It also reminded me of this handy tip that for some reason isn't documented anywhere in the game (probably because it was added to MM1 in a late patch): Tap and hold on a tier 2 powerup (fire flower, feather etc.) and select the mushroom modifier to turn it into a multi-tier powerup ala official Mario games - it'll be a mushroom if the player is small, or the proper powerup if they aren't.

Overbite posted:

I made a new level about ginger ale.

WBK-80R-SFG

I’ve noticed that it’s very hard for me to make something interesting out of the smb3 underground tileset.
Not bad, but finding the pipe for the ON/OFF room was oddly difficult. I'd maybe make that one a different colour.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it just me or is there a gulf in quality between Easy Endless and Normal Endless?

I mean, Easy Endless stages aren't that good but at least there is a scrappy charm to them.

"Here is my first level. Pwease be nice"
"This is a short gimmick level"
"Here is 1-1, but with a twist!" (There are a lot of these)

Then you get to Normal Endless stages...

"i was drunk when i made this"
"HERE COMES THE BULLSHIT ENEMY SPAM"
"What is a checkpoint?"
I haven't noticed too much poo poo in Normal Endless. That'll probably change over time, though.

Kirios posted:

Hey guys, I made a weird SHMUP level. I think it's pretty decent?

[quote="ThisIsACoolGuy" post="496335622"]
The new Builder Power seems a bit odd to use- but I still tried to make a level where you can play with it in various THRILLING ways. It was going to serve as a tutorial for some of it's abilities but quickly turned into a actual full blown stage :v:

Meowser's Bad Breakup
P5N - XFG - 5SF

Fun little tutorial stage. The second thwomp bit was a bit frustrating, though, as the camera tends to hide them unless you jump up in that area and they tend to instantly kill you.

Bleck posted:

It's, like, Dark Souls, y'know?

HV8-BV1-LPG

I tried to make bosses themed after Dark Souls 1 bosses.
Cute execution, but a couple of the rooms looked a bit, well, plain. Not a lot of decoration.

Dork457 posted:

arrite boys strap in for a bone chilling NARRATIVE focused mario maker 2 level!!

:haw: loving brilliant.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Khanstant posted:

The silence was a good call! I wish we had more control over the music in general, would be nice to theme it more personally. I played your level, I like the post-apoc idea in the subworld. There were a few jumps that could have been a little easier, took me a second to figure out to look for the blue time-travel pipe because the jump up there can only be made with a faster running jump.

Haha the hat you get for beating a level first is a pipe that kind of just looks like a PUA hat.

edit: People with images for their levels, is there a clean way to get pictures from Switch to PC or how's that going on?

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I was wondering if I made the jumps a little too rough... I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hi hello i just want to say that the hitbox/hurtbox of pirahana creepers sucks rear end

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Kzk4AxfW4

1 day. 1 day, and people are already inventing contraptions in this game. This game is amazing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

hi hello i just want to say that the hitbox/hurtbox of pirahana creepers sucks rear end

I died 14 loving times on that level that's just 'jump on this creeper 5 times'.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Intl Cron posted:

Fiery-Fierce Dungeon Dash
510-PK3-91G

Super Mario Bros. -- Castle -- [Medium/Normal Difficulty] [Classic] [Themed]

Oh no, it's another Mario Maker level! This is my first earnest attempt getting used to the new interfaces and mechanics in the sequel - it's a multi-stage jaunt through a Mario Bros. themed dungeon level.

Break through the front defenses, and then find the three red coins to unlock the door to the spike maze! Two checkpoints available, and a few secret blocks/rooms and 1-Ups to find.

This was pretty fun, and I really like the aesthetic. I found the middle section a little too difficult, though; having to avoid homing missiles and fireballs when you don't have much room to navigate is tough. Also, there were a couple times when I tried to jump and hit an invisible block by accident. The one which makes the vine actually killed me, because it kept me from jumping over the lava. That said, cool level!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

If you like short action stages with ~~EPIC~~ boss fights then good news for you

Drop It Like It's Hot

RX3-DDT-MHF

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

M63-1B4-SYF

night time desert chomps

Nobody played this and I think it's about to fall off with no likes so I'll describe it a bit more like I should have done the first time

SMB1 chomp-themed platformer in the night desert (so wind pushing you back). I put a lot of thought into the aesthetics so comments on that specifically would be appreciated. I intended it to be a few deaths per checkpoint so let me know if I hit the difficulty target.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 30, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

cheetah7071 posted:

SMB1 chomp-themed platformer in the night desert (so wind pushing you back). I put a lot of thought into the aesthetics so comments on that specifically would be appreciated. I intended it to be a few deaths per checkpoint so let me know if I hit the difficulty target.

Gave it a play. The giant Chomps you go into are adorable, but the thing that killed me the most was actually the damned wind while riding the snake block. SMB1 Mario just feels really slippery... anyway, it didn't stop me from enjoying the level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Gave it a play. The giant Chomps you go into are adorable, but the thing that killed me the most was actually the damned wind while riding the snake block. SMB1 Mario just feels really slippery... anyway, it didn't stop me from enjoying the level.

Thanks for the first like to get it into endless

I had a snake block instead of a skull platform because skull platforms are only 4 wide and I wanted it to not be hard to stay on the platform. But 5 blocks still isn't very wide, does anybody know if there's a way to widen snake blocks? That'd be important enough I'd edit and re-upload.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Thanks for the first like to get it into endless

I had a snake block instead of a skull platform because skull platforms are only 4 wide and I wanted it to not be hard to stay on the platform. But 5 blocks still isn't very wide, does anybody know if there's a way to widen snake blocks? That'd be important enough I'd edit and re-upload.

Snake blocks can be increased to up to 10 blocks by dragging on the block itself rather than on the trail.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oops wrong thread

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody played this and I think it's about to fall off with no likes so I'll describe it a bit more like I should have done the first time

Did you take the level down? Code isn't working for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I widened the snake block that came up and just finished reuploading.

M63-1B4-SYF

e: and it'd be nice to get the first copy of chomp shrine removed from the table

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played, and enjoyed your levels

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can't take Screenshots but my first level is here.

Bowser's Boss Bash Castle
WBM-75X-MHF

Not super great, one area I would criticize myself in is that I did not take advantage of the lava level.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

President Ark posted:

how the hell do you beat mystery of the dry bones shell (job 84)? i've gotten to the room with conveyor belts and a pow block i need to hit and can't figure out how to get it

e: also does this thing have some sort of high jump i can't figure out, because a lot of the optional stuff in this level seems to want me to jump higher than i can

I was stuck on this room for a while too. This was the one single puzzle in the campaign I got stuck on for a bit. I actually took a screenshot of it, then hit the home screen and stared at the screenshot for a while before it finally hit me.

Step-by-step directions for progressing through this room:

1. Draw the ghost close to you until it's hovering above the room's left-most spinning blade
2. jump on the ghost's head while in the dry bones shell (just the ghost, don't hit the plant, which is tricky). This will make the plant drop to the conveyor belts then bounce up via the music block to get in line with the other plants
3. move to the room's middle-most platform then jump out of your shell and kick it toward the POW block. It will slide over the tops of the plants and hit the block, clearing the room of the plants, allowing you to fit through the pipe exiting the room

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 30, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm kind of upset that they didn't include the loving bookmark site.

Downloading levels by typing codes in gets so drat tedious. When they added that site it was one tap good to go. It made sharing so much easier. Now its lovely again!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

eonwe posted:

I played, and enjoyed your levels

Well gosh, thank you!

Running through a handful of goon levels now and trying to give them some attention :buddy:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nobody is focusing on the really important part of this game

How do I unlock new outfits for my Mii

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
feel free to give these a go

w8s-x05-xpf
bounce on some donuts in the air while throwing shells

p98-yh3-sbg
a castle with a few tricks and some angry wrigglers

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nobody is focusing on the really important part of this game

How do I unlock new outfits for my Mii

Do Story Mode and Course World stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do Story Mode and Course World stuff.

I wanted a bit more detail and found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c743az/list_of_achievementsmii_costumes_in_super_mario/

Some of them are animated! Like you have Gif of mario running on the shirt which I now want irl

Edit: Also the comments point out that if you beat all jobs as Mario you unlock an outfit which beating it with Luigi's help doesn't (But everything else still unlocks)

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 30, 2019

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

The Dreaming in the Fever House
FTS-0C7-C1G

Mild puzzle-solving & exploration "story" level, & my first real go at a thematically cohesive level. Inspired by Lovecraft, Symplectic, as well as the night terrors I have where a skeleton tries to suck my dick

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1145235284054831107

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played some goon levels and I liked what I saw. Left little doodles for the stages but man it's *so* much harder drawing on this thing than it was on the wii-u

Fawf - Drop It Like It's Hot
Cute stage, took me a second to register what I was doing after my work with sideways thwomps but I enjoyed it. Platforming at the top of the screen is pretty rough though when you can't see where you are.

Intl Cron - Fiery-Fierce Dungeon Dash
The superball seemed a bit random but eh. Pretty nice stage honestly! Only thing of note is that I was forced to take a hit at the end with the bomb wall and I'm not sure if that's meant to happen or not. Was lucky to have a shroom.

Q_res - Boom-Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill
Level could use some lights closer to the ground as Buzzy Beetles kinda just pop out at you in this stage which kinda drags things to a crawl. Also took a handful of lumps from invisible blocks that had no tell (There was a red flying koopa that kept bonking me at one point because I kept hitting my head on the invisible staircase while trying to jump on him). Also the final Boom Boom looks like a forced hit? He just camped over the hole I had to jump up so that was a bit meh.
Not a bad stage but could use a few tweaks here and there to be more player friendly. Unless that's not the desired effect :v:

DorianGravy - Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
Really good classic level! No real complaints here. Only thing I'd say to be aware of is that the magikoopas in the first part were kinda useless. They kept teleporting onto the wrong side of walls and not doing anything :v: Good job guys.

The Awesomesaurus -Time-Traveling Pipes
Real cool theme that's handled well. I died a few times before the checkpoint for mostly stupid reasons but that's on me. Also the sound triggers were strange in the second part as it kept playing the mute music noise around the mole house so would get the happy music box jingle here and there :v:. For [i]whatever reason[/b] made me think about Chrono Trigger a lot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What are some ways to make coins deadly? The only I have for deadly coins is using them as platforms you need after pressing a P switch, so that it becomes deadly having collected them. Any other trick with coins to discourage touching them?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolie Ghost posted:

The Dreaming in the Fever House
FTS-0C7-C1G

Mild puzzle-solving & exploration "story" level, & my first real go at a thematically cohesive level. Inspired by Lovecraft, Symplectic, as well as the night terrors I have where a skeleton tries to suck my dick
This seems to have broken for me in the room where you get the Spiny Helmet for the first time, I wasn't able to get the beanstalk to come down.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

The Kins posted:

This seems to have broken for me in the room where you get the Spiny Helmet for the first time, I wasn't able to get the beanstalk to come down.

Ah nuts. I was a little unsure of that setup but I tested it a good 10 times, plus about 5 or so more during my first upload & my second upload (wherein I added a second checkpoint) & it never failed. I figured even as a failsafe you could leave the room, come back in, kill the potaboo again, & then climb the vine till the screen scrolls, which would re-trigger the mechanism. But youre the second person to snag on that, so in the morning I'll see if i can figure out a less failure prone/more intuitive setup & maybe reupload.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Q_res - Boom-Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill
Level could use some lights closer to the ground as Buzzy Beetles kinda just pop out at you in this stage which kinda drags things to a crawl. Also took a handful of lumps from invisible blocks that had no tell (There was a red flying koopa that kept bonking me at one point because I kept hitting my head on the invisible staircase while trying to jump on him). Also the final Boom Boom looks like a forced hit? He just camped over the hole I had to jump up so that was a bit meh.
Not a bad stage but could use a few tweaks here and there to be more player friendly. Unless that's not the desired effect :v:

Thank you for the feedback, genuinely. On the Koopa thing, do you think just moving the Koopas a column away (i.e. spread them farther apart) from the invisible blocks would help? I was kind of going for that wall telling you there had to be hidden blocks to get you up there and making the player hunt for them just a little bit.

As for the last Boom Boom, he spawns in the far right corner of that room. If you're quick you can make it up there without taking a hit, and during playtesting, going back down to the bottom of the room leads up there lets you reset him. I'm just not sure how to communicate that they need to move quickly to the player.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Araxxor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Kzk4AxfW4

1 day. 1 day, and people are already inventing contraptions in this game. This game is amazing.

yo this is cool as gently caress. i'm not smart enough to make puzzles like this but the ingenuity here is really rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the Haunted Mushroom level in story mode was harder than anything in Celeste