Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
When it came out, Chrome was fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Soricidus posted:

As shown in the thread earlier the browser is instructed to print. Is the computer doing A when instructed to do A an unusual thing outside the JavaScript world?

That is some fine burying the lede here. The question should be "why is a computer instructed to print to paper when you want it to round a loving number.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Soricidus posted:

As shown in the thread earlier the browser is instructed to print. Is the computer doing A when instructed to do A an unusual thing outside the JavaScript world?

this is a very confusing post

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It’s a quote from the github thread where someone is inexplicably defending the terrible javascript scoping rules that cause the bug

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Someone added debugging code to the round function. This person added print("some debugging") when they meant to add console.log("some debugging"). The print built-in in Javascript attempts to send the page to the printer.

That's all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The real key points are
- They added this to their actual production website, not a private dev instance
- They never actually tested the code path they added the debug logging to before shipping it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I like how dozens and dozens of people post to confirm that it's happening for them as well, like it's the 100th person to post confirming something on GitHub that will change someone's mind as to whether to work on it or whatnot.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I literally moved over from Firefox to Chrome because the former would eat up my old laptop's memory to the point I couldn't really use it consistently even with script blockers, but sure, that wasn't the issue, it was all Google marketing, it's why I'm using Edge on all my Windows 10 machines. :rolleyes:

Same, also I was still riding the yay Gmail is great, Google does no evil wave back when it was released.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

The real key points are
- They added this to their actual production website, not a private dev instance
- They never actually tested the code path they added the debug logging to before shipping it

They might not have had a printer setup

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The biggest revolutionary thing that Chrome did when it was new was run each tab in a separate process so that a hang or exception in one tab didn’t kill everything you had open. Firefox and IE didn’t do that at the time.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
IE8 did had multi process browsing, which was before chrome was released, not that it matters or that anyone cares

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jabor posted:

The real key points are

"this" is pretty fucky in JS, isn't it? I don't know much about the language, but is it possible that a code change somewhere else in the project altered the context in that logging function? this.print() is calling window.print() now but perhaps it was intended to be someobject.print().

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"this" is pretty fucky in JS, isn't it? I don't know much about the language, but is it possible that a code change somewhere else in the project altered the context in that logging function? this.print() is calling window.print() now but perhaps it was intended to be someobject.print().

But there isn't any implicit "this" in JS as far as I know. An identifier that isn't in local scope (declared by "var", "let", or "function") is looked up in the global scope, which usually is the "window" object.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

From the GitHub thread they had print() when they should’ve had Module.print()

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hammerite posted:

I like how dozens and dozens of people post to confirm that it's happening for them as well, like it's the 100th person to post confirming something on GitHub that will change someone's mind as to whether to work on it or whatnot.

Welcome to every issue page with any sort of profile on a popular package ever.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Xarn posted:

That is some fine burying the lede here. The question should be "why is a computer instructed to print to paper when you want it to round a loving number.

The round function literally calls print. It's not burying anything.

This is also not javascripts round.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Janitor Prime posted:

They might not have had a printer setup

The print dialog would still show. I wonder if they test in a headless environment that doesn't have said dialog.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

necrotic posted:

The round function literally calls print. It's not burying anything.

This is also not javascripts round.

Yes, but all your saying is “there’s a rational explanation for this bug.” That’s true of all bugs, but they’re still bugs. The computer does not need an advocate!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

qsvui posted:

What exactly did Chrome do much better than Firefox at the time? Both of them supported tabs and extensions, I don't remember anything that stood out about Chrome.
Putting search in the URL bar was revolutionary.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Welcome to every issue page with any sort of profile on a popular package ever.

Confirming this issue on slightly popular packages as well.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Dross posted:

The biggest revolutionary thing that Chrome did when it was new was run each tab in a separate process so that a hang or exception in one tab didn’t kill everything you had open. Firefox and IE didn’t do that at the time.
Pretty much this. They got the technical folk by making a browser that didn't crash over every random Flash / plugin / embed, and only after did they get the non-technical folk by making all their sites worse on non-Chrome browsers.

Now that every major browser is Webkit-based it's kind of a moot point anyways.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

In addition to what everyone else has said, IIRC Chrome didn't require admin privileges to install and basically installed in one click. It also never hassled you to update or anything. In the days where those were revolutionary ideas, it was a really nice piece of software.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ola posted:

Confirming this issue on slightly popular packages as well.

I feel like its gotten better on github since the addition of thumbs up thingamabobs.

Maybe I'm just deluding myself though.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like its gotten better on github since the addition of thumbs up thingamabobs.

Maybe I'm just deluding myself though.

I still see occasional "+1" comments but they usually get a lot of thumbs downs and no other engagement. So yeah, definitely better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SupSuper posted:

did they get the non-technical folk by making all their sites worse on non-Chrome browsers.

Holy poo poo. Man, Microsoft 2.0 in more ways than I realized.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Putting search in the URL bar was revolutionary.

I think Firefox had that before Chrome came out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

xtal posted:

I think Firefox had that before Chrome came out

There were extensions that did it but it wasn't in vanilla firefox until after chrome got popular.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I liked old Opera back in the day for having built-in ad blocking.

But people started arguing browsers have to be lean and tiny and ad blocking isn't a core feature so move it to a plugin.

I still think ad blocking is a core feature needed to visit a majority of the web.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I liked old Opera back in the day for having built-in ad blocking.

But people started arguing browsers have to be lean and tiny and ad blocking isn't a core feature so move it to a plugin.

I still think ad blocking is a core feature needed to visit a majority of the web.

I don't think Google agrees with you (or Apple).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Brave has builtin adblock, but Brave is garbage for other reasons. They also wrote their adblock code in Rust so it's way faster and more memory-efficient.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

Brave has builtin adblock, but Brave is garbage for other reasons. They also wrote their adblock code in Rust so it's way faster and more memory-efficient.

Why is it garbage?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why is it garbage?

Brendan Eich (founder/CEO) was supporting anti-gay legislation. I used Brave for a while last year, but then stopped because I don't want to support him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lobsterminator posted:

Brendan Eich (founder/CEO) was supporting anti-gay legislation. I used Brave for a while last year, but then stopped because I don't want to support him.

Holy yikes!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
They also replace ads blocked with ones from their own network.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They also did a big thing about "want to support content creators? Click this button with a picture of the person's face on it and give us money! we haven't actually talked to the person in question though, and we probably won't be giving them any of the money you give us either"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I entirely support people boycotting Brendan Eich, but my problem with Brave is that it's an adblocker that replaces ads with their own ads. They have had a few different plans for how to get the money back to the creators, sort of like a browser-integrated Flattr. This page has backstory plus a link to more recent info at the top: https://www.brave.com/about_ad_replacement.html.

The long-term goal of Brave is to replace the advertising model on the Web with their cryptocurrency, https://basicattentiontoken.org/.

xtal fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 1, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This deserves its own coding horror post:

quote:

Basic Attention Token radically improves the efficiency of digital advertising by creating a new token that can be exchanged between publishers, advertisers, and users. It all happens on the Ethereum blockchain.

quote:

The Brave browser knows where users spend their time, making it the perfect tool to calculate and reward publishers with BATs. This service creates a transparent and efficient Blockchain-based digital advertising market. Publishers receive more revenue because middlemen and fraud are reduced. Users opt-in to an inclusive and rewarding private ad experience. And advertisers get better data on their spending.

It would be more fair to say that Brave is a browser with built-in advertising than a browser with built-in adblocking.

xtal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 1, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There were extensions that did it but it wasn't in vanilla firefox until after chrome got popular.

Nope, It was added in Firefox 3, quite some time before Chrome was officially released.

tankadillo posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, IIRC Chrome didn't require admin privileges to install and basically installed in one click. It also never hassled you to update or anything. In the days where those were revolutionary ideas, it was a really nice piece of software.

Also it was easy to deploy in enterprise environments while Mozilla didn't even attempt to support enterprises.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, no matter what you think of Eich (garbage), the fact that Brave replaces ads with their own under the guise of "giving money to the content creators" (that we have not talked with about anything and they should be glad we even show their content) should be enough to avoid using it.

e:

unless you are Subjunctive, who trusts its technical team just like he trusts Facebook to treat your data properly :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"Bitcoin but for privacy violation and marketing" is genius because anybody that falls for it is hilarious