Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

What are those green gas pods that look similar to MELD containers in combat maps?

The green gunky things? I think those are captured bodies or vats the aliens use to transport materiel, depending on which green thing you're referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee posted:

What are those green gas pods that look similar to MELD containers in combat maps?

Some weird alien thing they use in the opening cinematic abductions. They’re irrelevant in this game, but it turns out they turn people into zombie-like creatures (like husks, if you played mass effect) dangerous to both aliens and XCOM. They’re in XCOM2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of shotguns will those sawn offs ever come into play or are they for later? IIRC from the admittedly very few other LW campaigns I’ve watched they’re typically for Outsiders (give almost everyone a shotgun, force the Outsider into a general position when you trigger it, rush with shotguns) but you seem to prefer doing it the normal way.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of shotguns will those sawn offs ever come into play or are they for later? IIRC from the admittedly very few other LW campaigns I’ve watched they’re typically for Outsiders (give almost everyone a shotgun, force the Outsider into a general position when you trigger it, rush with shotguns) but you seem to prefer doing it the normal way.

They have a range of either 1 or 2, so it’s rare. They’re sort of a just in case type of thing: there’s a good chance you’ll never see them fired, but if you do it’s probably saving someone’s rear end.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kibayasu posted:

I...don’t think I used one at all this campaign, and I’m now past the tech point where there might be a compelling reason to do it.

They have a range of literally one tile, and only one shot. I’d only ever want one on a scout with a marksman rifle, and those units tend to need mobility—something the heavy sawn off penalizes.

But they’re free, so I make them at the start of the campaign.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A change I'd make for the sawed off to make it worth bringing is to remove the mobility penalty and give it 100% DR reduction. That way, even in the rear end-end of the campaign, you would still consider throwing a sawed off on your scout in case you feel the insane need to shove a shotgun inside of an alien. As it is there's zero reason to ever bring anything other than a pistol or an autopistol, and autopistols aren't even very good until you get through the foundry projects for them.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 29, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Having played Xenonauts recently, seeing that you can shoot the zombies before the badness inside pops out is nice. Was a rather rude suprise when my last shot spawned a Reaper (Xenonauts chrysalid) next to all my guys.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Coffee did not disappoint in contributing. Those chrysalids have a lot of hp and movement.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
It was also nice of the chrysalid pod to just zoom into the middle of your guys on their turn.

A thing I noticed was your abysmal crit chances on them too, was that a thing in vanilla or a LW change to make them more dangerous. Either way KW0134 rolled a pretty boss 10% crit to blap that bug.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For anyone that hasn't played long war the chryssalids have a very special treat in store for you later in the campaign.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zernach posted:

It was also nice of the chrysalid pod to just zoom into the middle of your guys on their turn.

A thing I noticed was your abysmal crit chances on them too, was that a thing in vanilla or a LW change to make them more dangerous. Either way KW0134 rolled a pretty boss 10% crit to blap that bug.

That's what chryssalids do. It's exceedingly rare when you see a chryssalid pod for them NOT to all charge at the same unit and use as much of their movement as possible. Which means so long as you know they're around (and you're not busy fighting something else), they're really pretty harmless. Go trigger them with an assault or scout, they all run forward, and you deal with them. They can't take cover so they're easily hit by a shredder rocket, at which point pretty much any rifle/shotgun/whatever will do them in. They're balanced by the fact that should you fail to kill them all, they will absolutely RUIN you.

It's also virtually impossible for 'lids to appear on anything other than a terror mission or landed large UFO, so you can plan accordingly and make sure you have a rocketeer on the manifest for such missions. If you see (or hear) a 'lid on a landed small or medium, you know immediately that it's a trap and that you should just stay within 1 move of evac the whole time.

I can't remember whether 'lids got extra defense against criticals in vanilla, but it only seems fair. You get a TON of crit chance when something isn't in cover, and horrifying death bugs can't take cover. Neither can your MECs or SHIVs (or a few other alien types that we haven't seen yet). All of them tend to get the "hardened" perk, which gives a flat -50 to crit chance. I think you get +50 to crit a target that isn't behind cover, so I think hardened and "can't take cover" just offset one another.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They have Hardened in Vanilla as well. I don't think they got changed a whole lot.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Grapplejack posted:

For anyone that hasn't played long war the chryssalids have a very special treat in store for you later in the campaign.

The last LW LP talked this up then dealt with it as efficiently as LW LPers tend to do. 9, isn't it?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well I was referring more to them getting CCS, and also when you run into a chryssalid leader for the first time is horrifying.

extreme spoilers don't click!!! https://i.imgur.com/i1mqwKh.png

e: fair if you want me to delete that so you can show it off later just say so and i'll zap it. I do think anyone who doesn't know about long war's endgame should avoid my spoiler box / pic because I really want to see the reactions :allears:

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 30, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grapplejack posted:

Well I was referring more to them getting CCS, and also when you run into a chryssalid leader for the first time is horrifying.

extreme spoilers don't click!!! https://i.imgur.com/i1mqwKh.png

Well that's a lazy way to do a chryssalid boss.

Then again, what made chryssalids scary and memorable in the first game just wouldn't work in Enemy Unknown and would be rightly regarded as bullshit if it was in this game. I recently played through Terror from the Deep, and it really is amazing how much more disposable troopers are in the original games. When your starting skyranger/triton can fit fourteen of the schmucks, losing half a dozen on a routine mission just doesn't matter that much.

I am still keeping the kill tally, I'm just not posting after every video post now.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Very much what I was talking about, I don't know what you thought I was talking about. The last LPers were dreading it and dealt with it as I imagine FairGame will.

CCS - do lids not trigger it? if so I forgot

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 30, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

April summary will come in the morning, most likely.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

megane actually missed a shot the world is ending :supaburn:

e: lmao those poor seekers
ee: I'm really surprised you haven't taken holotargeting on anyone, it's really nice when you get mayhem on your gunners since it can paint an entire area.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 30, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack posted:

megane actually missed a shot the world is ending :supaburn:

e: lmao those poor seekers
ee: I'm really surprised you haven't taken holotargeting on anyone, it's really nice when you get mayhem on your gunners since it can paint an entire area.

In general, only units with exceptionally high aim shoot for me in the late game. Or a unit that can fire three times per turn on the logic that one of em will hit. I like the bullet wizard build, but I like rapid fire HEAT and ludicrous sentry turret gunners more.

Basically the gunner is a really good class and it just comes down to a matter of preference.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

APRIL SUMMARY

That was a good month! A pity about PFC Elvos, but considering how sideways that could've gone, I'm pretty happy about it.

Notable Soldier Stuff: We got our Officer Training School and got up to Squad Size I, allowing us 7 soldiers on a mission. That means we can carry dead weight as one of our slots for a few weeks, giving more rookie training opportunities. I'm a little behind on the officer training game. I usually make covering fire gunners my officers (gives them something to do on turns where they have to move), but Megane has absolute garbage willpower and isn't worth making into an officer. That might come back to bite me later.

Notable Base Stuff: Our steam vents aren't in a great spot (though much better than the original version of this LP) so I'm having to do a lot of fission generators. Cheaper, and faster, but not really sustainable over the long term. Most of the work this month base-wise was digging out spaces where we can use our new fission power in May.

Notable Research: We got our basic laser research done, and we'll have advanced lasers soon enough. One of the differences of Long War vs. vanilla, though, is that once research is unlocked you still have to take time to actually build the new stuff. So we won't be using lasers until next month. It'll be a major step up. There's a very difficult council mission in early May; I'm hoping it doesn't pop early and we can bring our laser rifles to it.

Notable Air Game: This is a little frustrating, to be honest. We had a great month in terms of shooting stuff down! Far greater than we deserve given that we're just running with stingray interceptors and trying to brute force things by throwing interceptor after interceptor into the meat grinder. But this is going to work against us. We were so successful at shooting stuff down that the aliens now see XCOM as a major threat, and we didn't see any alien harvesters to capture (this is a largely random chance; the more satellites you have the more you tilt the RNG in your favor). So the aliens are still going to have plenty of resources in May, and instead of running research missions that we can capture, or more scouting missions that we can shoot down, they're going to end up running 2 terror missions, a bunch of satellite hunters, a bunch of bombings, and so on. Our air force is going to get POUNDED next month and there's not much I can do about it. A smart thing to do would be to build a satellite or two to keep in reserve; there's a good chance my entire hangar ends up unable to respond to hunters at various points next month.

Goals for May: Set up a decent officer corps so that we can start dealing with fatigued troops more readily. Get a workshop going. Get a repair bay going. Finish up advanced lasers and get them into the field. Finish basic armor and make decent progress on the first real meaningful armor upgrade. Maybe build a SHIV or three to help with the glut of missions we're about to get. Find a 16 mobility assault or scout that we're willing to part with (more on that to come).

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

Megane has absolute garbage willpower

That's what my therapist always says.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I love all these shots that connect but fail to kill.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Around 9 minutes in why did you have Sullat in high cover hunker down, while Gavin in half cover and several tiles in front overwatched? I'm not too familiar with the classes, presumably it was class skill related? e: or health? I see Sullat only has 6hp.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 1, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

kw0134 posted:

I love all these shots that connect but fail to kill.
The car blowing up for so much damage counted towards my kill, though I thought my perk was supposed to make explosives do better than the damage it caused that mission.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples posted:

Around 9 minutes in why did you have Sullat in high cover hunker down, while Gavin in half cover and several tiles in front overwatched? I'm not too familiar with the classes, presumably it was class skill related? e: or health? I see Sullat only has 6hp.

Health related. The most damage a thin man carbine can do right now, given the current level of alien tech, is 6HP. Now, that excludes critical hits, so the others were at risk too, but if the thin man managed to hit guys in half cover AND smoke and THEN managed to roll its 8-or-so percent chance to crit thereafter, well...I’d tip my hat to him. That kind of bullshit WILL happen in long war just because it’s so long that a ridiculous edge case is likely to happen in a campaign. But :xcom:

Also, Sullat is packing an SMG (2-4 damage) just so that the mobility penalty from carrying a ton of rockets isn’t too awful. Sullat’s overwatch would have, at best, just wounded the thin man. There really was not an advantage in smg overwatch, given that.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The car blowing up for so much damage counted towards my kill, though I thought my perk was supposed to make explosives do better than the damage it caused that mission.

Your perk triples the ENVIRONMENTAL damage of grenades, not the physical damage. Map architecture has its own HP, measured in the tens or hundreds. Your grenades won’t do any more damage to aliens, but they WILL ruin their cover because 3x the environmental damage of an HE grenade will wreck pretty much anything other than UFO chunks.

E: cars and other things that subscribe to the Hollywood school of explosions also have a set amount of HP before they explode, but I’m not sure how it works. I know there’s a skill that will set them off immediately because it does like 999,999,999 environmental, damage. But a car that catches fire and takes no further damage clearly has a passive damage over time in place, because it’ll blow in a turn or two.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 1, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I must have read it wrong. I thought the Sapper perk said my grenades and mines do one extra damage to enemies and even more to the environment.
Can you collapse a building with enough explosives?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 1, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I must have read it wrong. I thought the Sapper perk said my grenades and mines do one extra damage to enemies and even more to the environment.

Nope. You need urX-COM for that.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scalding Coffee posted:

Dang, you’re right. Sapper DOES give +1 damage. I’ve never noticed! I guess because grenades have such a variable damage range coupled with damage tailing off the further you are from the blast.

And no, unfortunately you can’t level buildings.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWvmbFeHX1g

In apocalypse you could just level buildings. Sometimes it was even a good idea!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Still catching up a bit... I actually like to take Fire in the Hole for good-aim rocketeers just to stack up enough that I can get a steadied Perfect Rocket. I think it's 120 aim at which scatter drops to precisely zero.

Also, I'm gonna need a better nickname than "Cujo" as soon as I do anything noteworthy.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I haven't seen the latest video yet but hopefully by the time I deag my rear end out of the infimary there'll be a shiny new laser rifle/shotgun waiting for me... assuming I didn't die already.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Wooo. Redemption.

This is the difference between someone who won Long War and someone who gave up in frustration: I didn't know you could send fatigued soldiers out on missions. That would have changed a lot of my strategy.

At least we're over the hump of getting skills/aim, so we can expect them to survive the entire campaign. Right? right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Assuming the queue isn't too long, I wonder if someone with my name can return to carry on my legacy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Assuming the queue isn't too long, I wonder if someone with my name can return to carry on my legacy.

Xelkeldos

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

When I have the cash to spare, all dead troops (except the generic PFC who died offscreen in month 1) are getting SHIVs named after them. I really like SHIVs and will use them late game, so I don’t want to waste cash on the basic SHIV though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's true, automation is taking away our jerbs! :argh:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

kw0134 posted:

It's true, automation is taking away our jerbs! :argh:

*folksy pepperidge farm voice* kw104 used to work down at the ol' Gettin' Murdered factory. The job wasn't perfect but an honest day's work havin' thin men melt the flesh off your face with a plasma carbine put food on the table for the kids. Now the robots do that job, and the factory hums away day an' night with nothin' but SHIVs, that don't ask for no pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Might get one more up before the holiday, but then we're going on hiatus for several days.