Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Just started a new job and want to see if these are red flags for everyone and not just me:
Hey, where do you live? I have a pretty good network of recruiters bicoastally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

Hey, where do you live? I have a pretty good network of recruiters bicoastally.

Chicago, not a big deal because I already took another offer for a company that’s practically next door to me. I have been a business analyst for a while, the role was advertised as heavy technical BA work and you have to run your own scrums (hence the PM expectation), then I find out when I arrive their IT is in shambles and I’m going to be doing no BA work but managing dumpster fires.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Just started a new job and want to see if these are red flags for everyone and not just me:

-my first day I request access to Jira to create projects. The guy in charge of jira walks over, laughs, and says “we’re not going to give you access to make projects, just put all your work on a jira ticket.”

-my boss has a “kill list” (his words) on his whiteboard of offshore developers he’s planning on firing

-sends emails to our vendor on Sunday asking for information that’s on the project plan that I created the week before, then on Monday says “look at the emails I sent on your behalf”

-doesn’t trust our vendors tools to provide accurate information, so he told me to work with the developers to find out the status of issues under development. I export all issues from the vendors tool, scope each out with the tech lead, then compile what I think is the true magnitude of work left. He then says he doesn’t trust it and wants me to work in the tool.

-my first scheduled deployment planned at the beginning of the month to go this Wednesday gets bumped when someone else says they need to deploy Wednesday and they have precedence. I ask what the release management process is and get asked “what is release management?”

-despite not having a release management process expects me to lock down release dates for the next 3 months. When I ask him how to do that if anyone can deploy to prod whenever they feel like it he told me to “talk to the other PMs”

-after asking me to lock down the dates he gets on a call and tells people they can bump my work if they need to

:stare:

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Those aren't just red flags. There are flashing lights, and sirens, and people screaming HELP!!! Job sounds horrible!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TheFace posted:

Those aren't just red flags. There are flashing lights, and sirens, and people screaming HELP!!! Job sounds horrible!

Yeah, I thought it was nuts anyone deals with this poo poo on a voluntary basis and then I found out virtually everyone on the dev team is offshore in India/Mexico or on an H1B and complaining gets them a way one ticket back to India. I am the kind of nutjob who liked working at Accenture and this was too much for me to stomach.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thank god we use a custom image that only has one bit of Cortana talking (when she's looking for important updates.) I mean, I like Jen Taylor and all, but hundreds of her?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Yeah, I thought it was nuts anyone deals with this poo poo on a voluntary basis and then I found out virtually everyone on the dev team is offshore in India/Mexico or on an H1B and complaining gets them a way one ticket back to India. I am the kind of nutjob who liked working at Accenture and this was too much for me to stomach.

So how is Verizon these days?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comradephate posted:

Yeah, Slack as well. I don't get notified before 10 or after 6 M-F, or at all on weekends. If I'm on call and it's an emergency, page me. Otherwise I'll see your message on the next work day.

I solved the email issue by just not getting work email on my phone.

While I'm throwing out schedule pro-tips, I strongly recommend permanently blocking out 12-1pm as busy for lunch, and if your coworkers are especially obnoxious, also the time before and after working hours so you don't get 7pm meeting invites.

When my kids were younger and I had to pick them up at daycare I had to block out the hours of 5PM to 9PM every day on my calendar. Management was West Coast at the time and loved scheduling 3:30 or 4PM meetings their time, which was 6 my time.

Those 4 hours with my kids before they went to bed didn't get interrupted. I'm pretty flexible with lunch being the only guy in CST and I WFH fulltime. I don't mind 12pm meetings at all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Funny, that's exactly me. WFH in CST, with most bosses working PST. My 5pm to 9pm is very protected. I'll work a sev1, but other than that it's the only part of my day that I am fiercely protective of. I'll sooner work an issue at 2am than I will at 6pm.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

So how is Verizon these days?

Not Verizon. Not even Wall Street or some pressure cooker law firm. These people are in high margin, extremely profitable niche retail.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
High margin, extremely profitable, niche?

Fleshlight.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and I forgot some more:

-They ran out of Zoom licenses, so I couldn't make any zoom meetings with the business to do my job. So every time I scheduled a meeting I had to get one of my developers to make a zoom meeting and then copy the link to my own. They are still in discussions to buy more Zoom licenses.

-I was expected to do all the BA stuff that you would imagine, which includes process diagrams. Except they didn't have Visio or a subscription to Lucidcharts. My coworkers instructed me to buy a lucidchart pro subscription and then write it off my taxes.

-My second day at work someone in India deployed new code to checkout without testing it in any lower environments at 2:30 PM central time. It was a bad deployment and it took down checkout for 2.5 hours right in the middle of the Tuesday afernoon. I asked why the deployment wasn't done during a maintenance window and was asked "What is a maintenance window?"

-The CEO would mutter to himself in the hallways and bathrooms. He also lost his poo poo when google changed their algorithm and tanked the company's results when you searched for our keywords. My coworkers told me it was normal for someone the team to be treated like a "problem child" every now and then for a week before the CEO would find someone else to chew on.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

-I was expected to do all the BA stuff that you would imagine, which includes process diagrams. Except they didn't have Visio or a subscription to Lucidcharts. My coworkers instructed me to buy a lucidchart pro subscription and then write it off my taxes.

Please tell me you didn't do this?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

High margin, extremely profitable, niche?

Fleshlight.

I was thinking Visa or Mastercard. Have you seen their profit margin? Its nuts.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Please tell me you didn't do this?

I did not, but I did mentally file it away into my big pile of red flags and added it to the growing sense of dread and unease.

Sepist posted:

I was thinking Visa or Mastercard. Have you seen their profit margin? Its nuts.

Custom framing and art supplies. Which made the pressure cooker bullshit even crazier.

Intuit posted:

Paying taxes is inevitable—but finding extra tax deductions is enviable. If you’re a salaried employee, you may be surprised to learn that your deductions include certain job-related expenses, but only for tax years prior to 2018. For tax year 2018 and on, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible.

Jesus christ

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I did not, but I did mentally file it away into my big pile of red flags and added it to the growing sense of dread and unease.

Custom framing and art supplies. Which made the pressure cooker bullshit even crazier.

Jesus christ

Lol that quote from intuit makes me loving sick wow

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
"Unreimbursed employee expenses" shouldn't be deductible; they should be loving criminal.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if a lot of the dysfunction happened because my boss (the VP of IT) came from Infosys where he was completely forced to acquiesce to Infosys' clients. The dude was genuinely an extremely nice and pleasant person to be around, he could also not tell anyone no. So while I had to lock in my dates in order for the site to be WCAG compliant, the next person to talk to him about how important their deployment was would immediately get him to send that one up as a redball and give them permission to bump my stuff (without telling me). Who got to deploy on any certain day was a matter of who reached the office first, and my tech lead was loathe to show up before 8 AM just to preempt someone else.

Apparently the last VP of IT had put in process and guidelines around change management before she peaced out, my boss just felt like the company needed to operate like an "agile start up" and interpreted CI/CD as letting people deploy whenever and test in prod. I worked with SonarQube in the past and EBS tools like Jenkins, the value add for me was able to mash the build button so I could start testing in lower environments without asking the development team to compile a build for me. Not so we could throw code into production as soon as they felt like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Comradephate posted:

Yeah, Slack as well. I don't get notified before 10 or after 6 M-F, or at all on weekends. If I'm on call and it's an emergency, page me. Otherwise I'll see your message on the next work day.

Slack's is pretty garbage though, because it only works for a flat daily window between X and Y times and is useless if you do shift work. I actually emailed their support on this exact problem and their response was along the lines of "Oh we never thought of that, we'll pass it along".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't hold your breath. Reply threads have been massively unpopular since they were implemented, and no sign of rolling that one back yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't hold your breath. Reply threads have been massively unpopular since they were implemented, and no sign of rolling that one back yet.

Yeah, I hold no illusions about them actually doing anything to fix it. They still don't comprehend the idea of a Bot user actually being used to things users do automatically.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

-my first day I request access to Jira to create projects. The guy in charge of jira walks over, laughs, and says “we’re not going to give you access to make projects, just put all your work on a jira ticket.”

-my boss has a “kill list” (his words) on his whiteboard of offshore developers he’s planning on firing

-sends emails to our vendor on Sunday asking for information that’s on the project plan that I created the week before, then on Monday says “look at the emails I sent on your behalf”

-doesn’t trust our vendors tools to provide accurate information, so he told me to work with the developers to find out the status of issues under development. I export all issues from the vendors tool, scope each out with the tech lead, then compile what I think is the true magnitude of work left. He then says he doesn’t trust it and wants me to work in the tool.

-my first scheduled deployment planned at the beginning of the month to go this Wednesday gets bumped when someone else says they need to deploy Wednesday and they have precedence. I ask what the release management process is and get asked “what is release management?”

-despite not having a release management process expects me to lock down release dates for the next 3 months. When I ask him how to do that if anyone can deploy to prod whenever they feel like it he told me to “talk to the other PMs”

-after asking me to lock down the dates he gets on a call and tells people they can bump my work if they need to

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Oh and I forgot some more:

-They ran out of Zoom licenses, so I couldn't make any zoom meetings with the business to do my job. So every time I scheduled a meeting I had to get one of my developers to make a zoom meeting and then copy the link to my own. They are still in discussions to buy more Zoom licenses.

-My second day at work someone in India deployed new code to checkout without testing it in any lower environments at 2:30 PM central time. It was a bad deployment and it took down checkout for 2.5 hours right in the middle of the Tuesday afernoon. I asked why the deployment wasn't done during a maintenance window and was asked "What is a maintenance window?"

-The CEO would mutter to himself in the hallways and bathrooms. He also lost his poo poo when google changed their algorithm and tanked the company's results when you searched for our keywords. My coworkers told me it was normal for someone the team to be treated like a "problem child" every now and then for a week before the CEO would find someone else to chew on.

In happier job news, I've an interview next week for a Cloud Engineer position! I hope I get it, but the process so far has been rather fun. I got a message from the recruiter around noon, setup a call for three or so. Noticed on the job posting that there was mention of troubleshooting IPSec VPN Tunnels, which I had never heard of before. So I figure "gently caress it", setup my own IPSec VPN server running in docker on an EC2 instance securing access to my other AWS resources in my VPC about 7 minutes before the phone call with the recruiter starts.

The next twelve hours or so I spent automating the whole process; putting it into CloudFormation (writing .yml manually is always an exercise in masochism), learning version control with Git and uploading the whole thing to Github. I even troubleshooted some actual IPSec issues, and all the while lamented that I wasn't just using an AWS VPN like a normal person because it'd take me five minutes.

One heck of a learning experience though and now I have this really fun talking point I get to use!

It's funny I put AWS on my LinkedIn like a week ago and drat if the recruiters aren't practically braying.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 29, 2019

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hey sccm chat we use it as part of our fully automated server deployment process. We rebuild a patched WIM for the OSs we support every month (also fully automated) and sccm deploys that plus our management apps.

Also as our sccm guy I gotta say the sccm guy worried about another service account is a dumbass, sccm runs as system and doesn't require a service account (unless you're doing client push) but also as an sccm guy I don't remotely give a gently caress if there are other service accounts for other services. I'm also not an idiot so ymmv.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We've gotten really dependent on slack, but the question has come up to how to handle notifications for dire emergencies. After a lot of brainstorming we realized we'd invented the pager.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We've gotten really dependent on slack, but the question has come up to how to handle notifications for dire emergencies. After a lot of brainstorming we realized we'd invented the pager.

Lol, we discussed setting Orion up to send emails to everybody’s cell#@everycarrierunderthesun.com for certain things since a lot of us don’t have email notifications turned on

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
There are tons of options. pagerduty is fine, as is opsgenie.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Tetramin posted:

Lol, we discussed setting Orion up to send emails to everybody’s cell#@everycarrierunderthesun.com for certain things since a lot of us don’t have email notifications turned on

This is what we do. text messages for when stuff we support for 24 hours goes down. Email for everything else. Only problem is everyone gets the text when something goes down, even if they're not on call.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It amazes me that people are still rolling their own solutions to this problem instead of just using PagerDuty/VictorOps/OpsGenie

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Why spend money when you can make your employees half-rear end a solution for free? It's not like the IT staff have better things to do, right?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

It amazes me that people are still rolling their own solutions to this problem instead of just using PagerDuty/VictorOps/OpsGenie

Something I've been trying to parrot at my current job is that all of the people who really want to solve the PagerDuty/VictorOps/OpsGenie problem set and are qualified to do so are already working at PagerDuty, VictorOps, or OpsGenie.

It's no surprise then that our home-rolled version of it is worse in every way and costs more money.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why spend money when you can make your employees half-rear end a solution for free? It's not like the IT staff have better things to do, right?
What's really good for productivity and morale is when you make people spend all their time solving problems that they're both totally dispassionate about and are really unimportant to the business

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just to clarify, we concluded that it was far enough out of our bailiwick that it didn't make sense to do.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Yeah if it ever comes up again I will push for pager duty, seems perfect.

That discussion fizzled out like a lot of things in this organization, it was after our core switch failed(a reboot brought it back up) and we were wondering how to get ahead of it quicker than somebody from service desk calling us.

really on call works fine for us, when there is an all hands on deck situation it’s never been an issue getting in touch.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

12 rats tied together posted:

Something I've been trying to parrot at my current job is that all of the people who really want to solve the PagerDuty/VictorOps/OpsGenie problem set and are qualified to do so are already working at PagerDuty, VictorOps, or OpsGenie.

It's no surprise then that our home-rolled version of it is worse in every way and costs more money.

This exact argument is similarly compelling when applied to opening your own datacenter.

All of the most qualified people in the areas of creating and managing an efficient datacenter already work at Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or Facebook, and they probably don't want to quit to come work for you instead.

It's blowing my mind that people in this thread are rolling their own pager though. Pagerduty is like... not expensive.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Comradephate posted:

This exact argument is similarly compelling when applied to opening your own datacenter.

All of the most qualified people in the areas of creating and managing an efficient datacenter already work at Amazon, Microsoft, Google, or Facebook, and they probably don't want to quit to come work for you instead.

It's blowing my mind that people in this thread are rolling their own pager though. Pagerduty is like... not expensive.

You know there’s like huge telecoms out there with more data centers than them? There’s a market after the big 4.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Comradephate posted:

I'll have you know I ran the smoothest datacenter ever built.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

You know there’s like huge telecoms out there with more data centers than them? There’s a market after the big 4.

What does number of datacenters have to do with anything? Managing the total capacity economically is what matters, and no US telecom has compute capacity that is even on the same order of magnitude as any of those companies. Telecoms are also not innovating in that space, whereas those four companies and a few others actually are.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Had the pleasure of going to the datacenter saturday night to swap our 2 ASA's due to a factory defect in every one we bought when we went from sonicwall to asa. cables didnt have enough slack to pull the devices out so i got to reach up and around our core switch to snap pics of the cables, and blindly stick labels on them, and then do the reverse when i got the new ones mounted. lol it took me like 4 hours to swap out two devices and test. to be fair this was my first time going there, but i did not think it was cabled so poorly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Comradephate posted:

What does number of datacenters have to do with anything? Managing the total capacity economically is what matters, and no US telecom has compute capacity that is even on the same order of magnitude as any of those companies. Telecoms are also not innovating in that space, whereas those four companies and a few others actually are.

Wait are you for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf so can someone else explain alibaba to him