Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for outing my Alzheimers-diagnosed coworker to corporate, and making him lose his job?

This poster: NTA. His boss? rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

bell jar posted:

This poster: NTA. His boss? rear end in a top hat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for outing my Alzheimers-diagnosed coworker to corporate, and making him lose his job?

At the company I’m at (part of a statewide chain), I’m in a position where I’m on the phone, dealing with and helping customers. One of my coworkers, Hal, is 58 and has been with the company for 15 years; I have worked with him 4 of those years. He’s very close friends with our manager and is held in high respect due to his long time at the company and solid performance.

For the first two years I knew him, he was perfectly normal. But over the past two years, we all started to notice a change in his behavior/personality/performance. Conversations with him started to become very awkward and unusual; he started to become extremely forgetful, slow, and clumsy; he began to say things that were offensive/inappropriate without even realizing it; and just in general, it was clear there was something “off” with him that wasn’t off before.

A little under a year ago, it came out that Hal was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. He is super private about the whole thing and refuses to talk about it with anyone. He has a very strong work ethic, is very bent on keeping his job and making all the money he can until he’s absolutely unable to work anymore. My manager (who is very close friends with Hal) has been supportive of Hal’s continued employment. Corporate does not know about Hal’s condition as far as I’m aware, and he’s tried to keep it as much of a secret as possible.

I respect Hal’s devotion to his job, but in the past year, he has been racking up an unbelievable number of complaints from customers. I know because complaints circulate pretty quickly where I work, and many people have called to complain to me about him. He often won’t be able to answer basic questions or provide information to customers; he’ll forget people’s info and make them repeat it over and over; and just seems slow and out of it in general. Customers have been questioning “what’s wrong with that man” and some have used quite choice words to describe him.

Despite this, my manager has kept Hal on board, and has told my coworkers who question this decision to mind their own business & “worry about themselves and their own performance.” Hal’s performance does affect us though; we have to deal with all the complaints and mad customers, and if our local branch loses business, that’s pretty lovely for all of us too. And while I’m very sympathetic towards Hal, I believe that someone shouldn’t be employed in a position if they can’t do the basic work required for that position.

I sent an anonymous email to our company’s corporate leadership, explaining Hal’s condition and how it’s affected his performance. Soon afterwards, he ended up being terminated (I assume with benefits and a severance package, considering the situation). My manager is furious about the whole thing and has been yearning to know which one of us “ratted him out.” I feel I did the right thing. Was I the rear end in a top hat to “rat” Hal out?

I hope this man burns to death.

Sure let's just throw this guy who's been employed here for years to the wolves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dunno, it's pretty lovely all around for the guy that now has a degenerative disease and no job. I'll be the contrarian to say that guy who blew the whistle is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

It's possible the boss was doing a thing to keep him on so that he could jump at 60 and get a fraction of his benefits intact.

Wonder if they could have transitioned him to a less customer facing job or something.

Vvv
goddamn man.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 1, 2019

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It’s just as lovely to make all of your coworkers pick up your slack when you stubbornly refuse to admit you are no longer as capable as you once were. Getting old sucks but don’t spread the misery if you don’t have to.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Yeah, that's a lovely situation all around. The guy's clearly not able to do his current job properly anymore, but if he's been there that long and is (probably) riding out benefits/pension, his alleged "friend" the boss should have found a way to put him in a position he wouldn't have so much trouble with, or protected him in another way that wouldn't screw with the company or the other employees as much. OP isn't necessarily the rear end in a top hat for ratting out a guy that can't do his job and is causing tangible problems for everyone else, but now the guy has Alzheimer's, no job, possibly no insurance without COBRA, and is probably not hireable anywhere else given his condition.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Agreed. Manager should have transitioned the guy into a more insulated position. Although that would have hinged on the Alzheimer’s guy willingness to step away from his current role. Either way, OP was making sure his own job didn’t get any worse since no one else was going to do it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Haifisch posted:

OP was on a bus chatting with friends. A :siren: girl :siren: made eye contact. She looked at him again and licked her lips. OP and friends started "discreetly" making fun of the girl, and she did not react well when she noticed. OP feels bad for making fun of her but also something something what if the genders were reversed???
The girl was creeping him out. If a creepy man was staring at a group of girls and licking his lips, then everyone would be "yeah, call that creeper out" so he's saying it's ok that he did it even though the genders were reversed. I think all the weird writing is because the girl was probably attractive and his brain is confused that he was creeped out by an attractive girl, hence the "bro talk" and "no homo." He thinks he's in the right but self aware enough to know if someone told him the story he would laugh at them for overreacting and call them gay and he's very confused by the whole thing.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Getting a guy with a crippling illness fired and goons say you're not an rear end in a top hat. Amazing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

[b]Soon afterwards, he ended up being terminated (I assume with benefits and a severance package, considering the situation).

Why on earth would you assume that?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
9/10 chance the dude was still working to keep his healthcare too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WarEternal posted:

Getting a guy with a crippling illness fired and goons say you're not an rear end in a top hat. Amazing.
Yeah.

I understand the whole "my job sucks more and this guy sucks too" thing. But the dude is literally losing pieces of himself/his life and we don't have a humane healthcare system in the U.S. so it's an extremely lovely thing to put someone through.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he’s the rear end in a top hat. If nothing else, being willing to get someone fired because of some extra customer complaints is side-eye worthy. He seems really vague about what other impact this is having on his duties.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

A few years ago, I interviewed for a lower-level management position with an education-based nonprofit. The meeting took place in a crowded Panera. During the interview, my interviewers pretended to be rowdy children, and I was supposed to “manage” them. I do understand the value of these exercises as a demonstration of certain skill sets, but was pretty appalled at having to do them with an entire restaurant staring at me – the people who would be my supervisors were literally running indoors and throwing things at each other. I felt stupid and did pretty poorly, and ultimately didn’t get the position.

Fast forward to now, and I have another interview scheduled with this organization. It is, again, at Panera. I’m more than a little bit concerned that I’ll have a crowd watching me do the same exercise a second time. Is there a way to politely opt out if that happens? And, more generally, do you have advice for how to best prepare for likely role-playing scenarios? Even in a private setting, I feel incredibly awkward doing these sorts of exercises with other adults, but am completely comfortable managing a group of children.

In general, the best way to approach role-playing is to really throw yourself into it — meaning get yourself into the frame of mind you’d be in if the situation were real. That’s easier said than done, I realize. But throwing yourself into it wholeheartedly usually goes a lot better than trying to stay at a remove because of Dignity.

But a rowdy role-play in public? That’s rude to the other people in the restaurant, including the restaurant employees, and it puts you in an even more awkward position than a normal role-play does, because you’re of course concerned about other people. Really, if they want to do this kind of role-play, they need to do it in their own space — and the fact that they’re not doesn’t say anything great about their judgment.

If you definitely want to opt out if they ask you to do it again … well, be aware that you’ll likely be removed from the running for refusing to participate.
But if you’re okay with that outcome, then you can be pretty straightforward: “I actually did that a few years ago when I was interviewing for your X position, and I don’t feel right about disrupting other customers when they’re trying to eat lunch. I’m happy to do something similar at your office or give you references who can talk about my ability to manage kids.”

An alternative is to ask about this ahead of time so you can opt out earlier in the process. You could say, “When I interviewed for your X position a few years ago, it was also at Panera and you asked me to do a role-playing exercise showing how I’d manage a group of kids. Should I be ready for something similar this time?”

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay but I’ve never understood companies that conduct interviews in Panera and Starbucks but I see it all the time. Do they not have offices?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Maybe they just want to leave the office for a while

A short respite from the dread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

Okay but I’ve never understood companies that conduct interviews in Panera and Starbucks but I see it all the time. Do they not have offices?

I think it idea behind it is trying to tone down the interview and make things more comfortable and less stuffy. I’ve conducted interviews in offices before and I can see the idea behind breaking that up a bit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The idea is to get the person in a high stress.environment and see their reactions.

The field trip to breadland aspect is just a plus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

They could be like my first gig where interviews were done offsite so nobody knew how dysfunctional and poo poo the working environment was

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my parents that I (M, 31, married) won't be responding to their daily "good morning"/"good night" texts anymore?

My wife and I are in couples therapy to address boundaries with my parents considering that their behavior is often intrusive and clingy. They have made a habit of texting good morning and good night in our family group chat every day ever since I left the house at 24. I'm now 31, and at the suggestion of our therapist and my wife, I've started responding fewer and fewer "good nights/mornings."

Needless to say, they haven't been taking it well and are upset that I'm communicating less with them over text. They say they worry about me, and just want to know that I'm ok since we live pretty far from each other.

AITA for telling them firmly that I will not be sending them good morning/good night every day anymore? I'll want to text with them every now and then, maybe a few times a week, or whenever something important happens. Just stopping the regular, twice a day check-ins.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting to leave my girlfriend at the ER to go to my nieces birthday party for a few minutes?

We went into the ER this morning for some pain shes been having. So 3 hours and some tests later we find out its an infection and they want to start her on some IV antibiotics. Well its not that huge of a deal in my eyes. My sister and her kids are here from out of state and my nieces birthday party is going on right now 5 minutes down the road. I wanted to go just for presents and cake cutting while she gets her antibiotics and waits for her discharge over the next hour or so and come back. Theyre only here for a couple weeks and I see them twice a year at most. She will not let me leave or shes going to "pull the IV out and walk out", she doesnt want to or cant be alone she says. AITA or no?

Edit: She got discharged in time for us to make it to the birthday party (it was at our house) so it all worked out. The IV antibiotics took under 5 minutes and we were on our way. Thanks for the input all. It's hard for me to gauge situations like that. I was getting pressure from both sides and I wasn't sure what to do. All is good now though

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
when i have a cold i expect my boyfriend to wait at my bedside for the duration of the illness, weeping and dressed all in black in case i don't make it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nankeen posted:

when i have a cold i expect my boyfriend to wait at my bedside for the duration of the illness, weeping and dressed all in black in case i don't make it

That’s totally the same thing as leaving someone at the ER.

Yes he’s the rear end in a top hat. JFC it’s not that hard to stay with someone while they are in the hospital.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Yes he’s the rear end in a top hat. JFC it’s not that hard to stay with someone while they are in the hospital.

It’s for a child’s birthday and she is being manipulatively melodramatic. She should be sleeping anyway and he wants to go up the street for a few minutes to celebrate a child. It doesn’t sound like a life threatening or even particularly miserable situation. Just a normal case of the human body being a little fragile.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MarcusSA posted:

I think leaving someone at the ER is fine if it's not a life or death emergency, but only if they're comfortable. For some people waiting around for an IV of antibiotics is not a big deal, so there was nothing wrong with asking, but if he had left after she made it clear it was a big deal to her he would have been the rear end in a top hat.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for not wanting to pay for a vacation where I spent almost all of my time helping my friend recover from her butt enhancement surgery?
Since this is a very specific situation, I’m using a throwaway for privacy reasons.

Note - My friend has now said that although she is “extremely disappointed” in my actions, she’s going to drop the money issue. So it’s not like I’m being sued or anything. I’m just posting to see if I am in the wrong with how I handled things.

My friend recently got this butt procedure done in Mexico for cosmetic reasons. I personally thought it was a little unnecessary but I try to be a good friend and support her regardless.

She ended up inviting me to come stay at a hotel with her for a week while she recovered. Then we would fly home together. I am a teacher and have summers off so I agreed to do it. There was no mention of money. (Because my husband happens for an airline, I hardly ever pay for flights, so the plane tickets were covered).

I get there and the hotel suite my friend rented is beautiful. I have my own room and everything. But my friend was in no position to do much of anything. I had to basically play nurse as she couldn’t even use the restroom on her own. Whenever I got a chance, I would try to eat out and go swimming or explore, but since my friend needed me, my time was limited. I managed to squeeze in one hike and that’s it. Obviously, it was not exactly a traditional vacation for the reasons I’ve outlined.

On our last day there, my friend asked me when I thought I could “pay her back” for half the cost of the suite. I’m like uhhhh excuse me?? Why would I pay you to play mommy/nurse for seven days?? She was pissed and we got into a big argument which obviously ruined the end of the trip.

My husband thinks it’s insane that she would ask me to pay her anything. However, a mutual friend of ours is on the side of the friend who had surgery. So I’m starting to doubt myself.

Am I somehow wrong to expect that she’d cover the cost of the hotel under these circumstances? I mean, would you ask a friend to pay who spent time taking care of you?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think leaving someone at the ER is fine if it's not a life or death emergency, but only if they're comfortable. For some people waiting around for an IV of antibiotics is not a big deal, so there was nothing wrong with asking, but if he had left after she made it clear it was a big deal to her he would have been the rear end in a top hat.

Telling someone you’re going to refuse treatment unless they stay with you is hosed up.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

TBH I've found it helpful to never, ever trust men to correctly evaluate the seriousness of women's health issues, so I'm incredibly leery of his 'it was just an infection (that caused some undefined amount of pain for some undefined amount of time), and I decided that it was no big deal (based on next to no medical information), why is she acting so irrational and crazy about this?'

Like even assuming the doctors literally said 'this is no big deal, we'll just pump some antibiotics in you and you'll be fine', his girlfriend still has a totally valid reason to be stressed and anxious and to want some emotional support, because plenty of doctors are absolute garbage at treating women (especially if pain is the major symptom) and women are generally very acutely aware of this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MasBrillante posted:

Telling someone you’re going to refuse treatment unless they stay with you is hosed up.
The way she said it is over dramatic and a bit manipulative in a vacuum , but I don't know exactly what she was going through to judge her on it. How long has she been having this pain? How bad is it? Those kinds of things (who knows how much sleep she's running on) on top of a 3 hour ER wait plus knowing you're going to get an IV can make someone really anxious and cranky and as long as that's not a normal way of dealing with things I'd cut her a break.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leaving your partner in the ER / Hospital by them selves is kinda hosed up no matter how serious you might think it is.

Like people don’t just go to the ER for shits and giggles (well most people anyway) so if something brought you there just be a good partner and hang out with them for Christs sakes.

Also lol it was a child’s birthday (not his child’s). Sorry but even if it “wasn’t serious” staying is always the right choice. I know this exact same thing has come up before in the thread and there are always people who say that its NBD to just ditch your partner and go gently caress off and do whatever else. Being in the hospital sucks and being there alone sucks worse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

9/10 chance the dude was still working to keep his healthcare too.

I feel like that's 10/10, I know shitloads of old people who already have resignation letters typed up for the day they're eligible for medicare

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

HazCat posted:

TBH I've found it helpful to never, ever trust men to correctly evaluate the seriousness of women's health issues, so I'm incredibly leery of his 'it was just an infection (that caused some undefined amount of pain for some undefined amount of time), and I decided that it was no big deal (based on next to no medical information), why is she acting so irrational and crazy about this?'

Like even assuming the doctors literally said 'this is no big deal, we'll just pump some antibiotics in you and you'll be fine', his girlfriend still has a totally valid reason to be stressed and anxious and to want some emotional support, because plenty of doctors are absolute garbage at treating women (especially if pain is the major symptom) and women are generally very acutely aware of this.

Well, a lot of men end up dying by never going to the doctor and getting problems checked out. Men are statistically poo poo at evaluating the seriousness of their own health issues, let alone those of others. Just suck it up, Nancy-boy!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, a lot of men end up dying by never going to the doctor and getting problems checked out. Men are statistically poo poo at evaluating the seriousness of their own health issues, let alone those of others. Just suck it up, Nancy-boy!

I use this fact to justify my hypochondria.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Yeah it’s lovely to leave someone in the hospital but also it’s lovely to demand someone wait with you while you get your IV antibiotics for your kidney infection or whatever when they have family obligations.

Like I know this thread hates men and families but I’ve been in this situation and did not make my boyfriend stay with me for my multi-hour hospital endeavour. Bring your phone and play candy crush or read somethingawful and be a little bit self reliant, gently caress this helpless damsel “I’ll kill myself if you leave!” routine.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Switchback posted:

Yeah it’s lovely to leave someone in the hospital but also it’s lovely to demand someone wait with you while you get your IV antibiotics for your kidney infection or whatever when they have family obligations.
‘Family obligations’ is way too strong of a phrase for a kid’s birthday party.

If your family would prefer you leave someone alone at the ER to attend a party, your family are the assholes. Any decent person would understand you skipping the birthday party when you say the phrase “sorry but my girlfriend is in the ER right now; we’ll come if/when this gets sorted out”.

Hell, if I showed up at the party and told them that I left my SO at the ER alone to be there at the party, I’m 100% sure my family members would be a horrified “why the gently caress are you here? get the hell back to the ER now, dumbass”.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Can we talk about the butt enhancement surgery post instead? I'm impressed by the unmitigated gall of flying someone down to Mexico to play nurse for you for a week, then demanding they reimburse you for the "vacation."

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
UPDATE to I (24 F) just found out my husband (34 M) is paying for an apartment that I know nothing about.

quote:

I thought it was about time I wrote an update. Thank you to every one who has reached out to me.

A little background I didn't give in the original post that I should have. I ran away at 13 from my mother and sexually abusive stepdad in Alabama. I used up my money getting as far away as I could get. I ended up in Florida. I became a working girl. A few years later I met my husband when he worked in vice. That is how we met. I became a CI for the department. I ended up getting pregnant and we got married. He helped me get my GED since there is a large gap in our levels of education.

Anyway I was afraid to confront him about the apartment. He then got into a fight at work (he was a homicide detective) with an officer who was supposed to secure a crime scene. He punched the guy.

My husband is a big, strong guy (6'5, over 200 pounds) and hurt him pretty badly.

I got called to the police station to come pick him up. There was another woman there. She was an attorney and also his mistress.

He admitted to me that he has been having an affair with her a year and she's been threatening to tell me. The apartment is where they would meet to have sex, since she is married too.

The officer eventually decided to not file charges against him but he did loss his job. They gave him an opportunity to quit or be fired so he quit.

Anyway he is in therapy now and anger management. We're in marriage counseling.

────────

Original post:

We have owned our house for the four years we've been married. He's had this apartment for two years. I only found out about it because the landlord couldn't reach him on his cell and called the landline

He refuses to talk to me about it and says since he makes the money he doesn't need my input on all decisions.

I'm tempted to call that landlord and get the address and see where this place is and get let in to see it.

I'm afraid of what I'll find honestly. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
YIKES

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A cop exploiting a sex worker, beating his wife, and making everything worse getting fired sounds like jealousy from underperforming coworkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My boyfriend talks in his sleep about other women, and calls me by other names when he’s awake

quote:

I could really use some advice about something that’s going on in my relationship. I have been together with my boyfriend for 1,5 years now, we live together and we are both very happy in our relationship.

Since about 7 months he started talking in his sleep about other women, girls that he met or was in love with before. He talks about being intimate with them, loving them and wanting to be with them, how pretty / attractive / cute / .. they are. And that I’ll never find out about it and he speaks very negatively about me in these dreams. Lately he also started to call me by a wrong name when he is awake; he calls me by the names of girls he dreamt about, and he doesn’t even notice.

We have talked about it many times and he assured me that there is nothing going on and that I can fully trust him. I really do trust him, but I can’t seem to let go of the insecurities I get because of this. Especially when he goes out with friends I get insecure and worry about what he’s doing or who he’s seeing. Even thought about checking his phone, but REALLY don’t want to do that because I want to trust him and I know it would hurt him.

I really hate myself for making this such a problem, because I know he can’t control what he dreams about and I know he tells me I have nothing to worry about... I love him and want to be with him, if he feels and loves (only) me the same way. But really don’t know how to deal with it right now and would really appreciate some advice...!

I [22M] Often talk in my sleep about loving my ex and wanting to cheat on my gf, though i really really don't want to..

quote:

Some background:

I always thought i was a quiet sleeper until i got my first girlfriend 1,5 years ago. I yell quite often, much more often when i'm going through stressful periods in school or otherwise, but quite regularly.

Since a year or something i started talking about my highschool crush who was a good friend of mine who had me on a leash for almost 4 years. It was a sad time for me then, but since i went to study in a different city i don't think about her.

Eventhough, i still talk to her in my sleep about loving her more and wanting to be with her.

I also say many other names, some of which were girls from my highschool i kissed with or whom i liked, others i don't have any affection for at all.

Me and my Gf are very open in our emotions and i have no ability to lie to her about anything and i don't want to, so i could be very clear about the fact that i don't feel that way when i awake. i never remember the dreams anyway.

I was schocked and very scared when she told me, because i knew it would make her feel insecure. I was devastated by the fact that i couldn't control it and i know she was hurting.

My gf often tells me she is not mad at me or thinking about this as a possible reason for breaking up, but admits it sometimes makes her feel insecure and uncertain about whether or not she should or shouldn't see this as a possible red flag for in the future.

I'm scared and i would really like some advice, i already see a therapist for other stuff but i wouldn't want to bring this up with her yet while i'm working on those other problems.

Thanks in advance

Both posted 14 hours ago lol