Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Wht/Mnk/Tim/MK went ok - really dragged on at points where elemental weaknesses didn't play out pre Holy/FlareBlade/Meteor but at worst it was slow and steady.

Run 3 is, so far, Knight/Red/Geomancer which. Uh. Means I'm getting a lot of the crap out of the way? Means I *should* be ok for runs 4 and 5 using what's left - Black and Thief for Wind, Summ for Water, Ninja, Beast and Bard for Fire.

Earth still has Dragoon, Sam and Dancer...none of them really save run 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Garula is 100% wrecking my all thief party.

Grind o' clock.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Garula with classes that have low offense or defense generally just comes down to having one guy attack Garula once it starts countering and everyone else chucking potions.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zenithe posted:

Garula is 100% wrecking my all thief party.

Grind o' clock.

If you haven't already, steal Mythril Daggers from Wyverns Y-Burns.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Destroyed him.

I mean, kept wiping until he spread out his insane damage enough to not cripple my party in a single move.

And also I mean by Buttz finishing him off with like, 50 hp and everyone else pancaked.

Now thief and summoner

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 1, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MagusDraco posted:

This was a very easy run. Run 5: Geomancer, Samurai, Knight, Chemist

So, Chemist is OP. Zeninage, is OP, Geomancer with a Brave Blade (and drugs) is good actually.

Very Good.

Very, Very Good. I tried to hit 9999 with turtle soup but I needed more strength. Oh well 9900 is close enough.

It's INCREDIBLE. And also blinding. Noted for the toxx!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I just checked and Geo needed 56 strength to hit 9999. Dammit I was sooo close at 55.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

jaclynhyde posted:

Okay. I haven’t won yet because KNI/RAN/NIN/GEO is loving terrible without the chicken knife and I need to grind another ten levels to survive Almaghest (also: actually beat Necrophobe) but if you’ll accept this I’ll get the last spot and make this hell run worth it!

(Last image won’t upload, he did 2280 damage)

Maybe by level 50 I can kill one part before dying!

It's BRILLIANT!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I never run once, even before my team became powerful beyond reason. I'm not sure how many battles it was; Mr. Cleo capped at 9,999.

I thought it was killing NED with the Brave Blade so I did just that.

It's SUBLIME!

Thank you both! I will count them both and increase my cap.

Thanks to Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir, MagusDraco, jaclynhyde, and Orange Fluffy Sheep for their contributions to this beautiful, beautiful toxx!

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

I'm trying an every-job-over-5-runs-thingy and I've gotten a dupe during run 3, so I need to Job Fair my earth crystal away - I have Knight, Red, and Geo so far.

Outside of Dragoon Memes to pile on the other two Bad Jobs, am I better taking Samurai to get Ianuki and Gil Toss (probably, even though two heavy armors is kinda boring) or Dancer for Ribbon access?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

It's BRILLIANT!

It's SUBLIME!

Thank you both! I will count them both and increase my cap.

Thanks to Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir, MagusDraco, jaclynhyde, and Orange Fluffy Sheep for their contributions to this beautiful, beautiful toxx!

Thank you--I've matched your extra $20 for not quite getting in on time... I got to level 45 and finished (by giving everyone except Geomancer Throw and spamming Fuma Shurikens on the Almaghest part):

Lenna gave NED one good whack and threw items for the rest of it. I choose to believe the Brave Blade gave them the courage to proceed.

Anyway time to do a less annoying run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Complete_Cynic posted:

I'm trying an every-job-over-5-runs-thingy and I've gotten a dupe during run 3, so I need to Job Fair my earth crystal away - I have Knight, Red, and Geo so far.

Outside of Dragoon Memes to pile on the other two Bad Jobs, am I better taking Samurai to get Ianuki and Gil Toss (probably, even though two heavy armors is kinda boring) or Dancer for Ribbon access?

If it were just this party I'd probably go with Dancer and write it off as a mildly unpleasant experience, but you should plan ahead. What do you have left for the next two runs, and how do you minimize the total unpleasantness?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Well, just finished FF5 for the first time ever in the fiesta. I had played it originally when it came out on psx but stopped at W2 exadeath because I didn't want to grind abilities to beat him. Figured the fiesta would cut down on the grinding and make me think.

NOPE

My party was Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist. There are possibly parties that can get more OP through shennanigans, but these guys were brainlessly powerful.

Solo knight cruises to Water by holding A, then you use rod boosted summons until Fire, then rod boosted scrolls through earth, then you get chemist. I ground for rings on the black flames, and after that used smoke to escape non-mandatory battles for W2 and W3.

I could just win every boss battle by setting up the first turn then holding A and the Fast Forward button. I only actually used the chemist abilities five times, he was mostly a budget summoner. The 5 times were drain kissing melisune because I couldn't be bothered with their gimmick, death potion on twintania because I couldn't bother to play around their counter gimmick, and then the 3 end bosses.

Beserk/Cover shennanigans on Omega

Berserk/Blind/Golem on Shinryu because it was too annoying to set up cover with the crystal dragons

And finally Elemental Power/Goliath on NED for the Leviathan swag while I was trying to steal that second Ragnarok.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Counted these! That should raise the amount of completed one-hero-alive challenges to 21, which completes the toxx! I'll donate the money once I receive my salary.

During now and the time I make a donation, I'll add $5 to the donation amount for any additional complete beat-NED-or-Shinryu-or-Omega-with-one-hero-alive challenges, up to an arbitrary limit I'll define if needed in case someone suddenly churns out 500 neat screenshots or something.

Thank you, everyone!

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

If it were just this party I'd probably go with Dancer and write it off as a mildly unpleasant experience, but you should plan ahead. What do you have left for the next two runs, and how do you minimize the total unpleasantness?

Including this Earth, the nine left are;
Thief, Black
Summoner
Bard, Ninja, Beastmaster
Samurai, Dancer, Dragoon

In a perfect world I'd go
Thief/Summ/Beast/Drag and Black/Bard/Nin/Dancer - the first lets me pretend Dragoon is good by coasting on a stolen spear and then Genji while Summoner and Beast do all the work, and then the latter gives me Sing and Black-boosted Throw.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Why does Gilgabot love Oracle so much, damnit

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Darwinism posted:

Why does Gilgabot love Oracle so much, damnit

He wants you to see the true power of succ.

ultrafilter posted:

Speaking of your 20 job challenge thing, I'm almost done with a 25 job challenge I fell into (and started job fairing for around the 5th run). Just one more run to go...

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 1, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Complete_Cynic posted:

Including this Earth, the nine left are;
Thief, Black
Summoner
Bard, Ninja, Beastmaster
Samurai, Dancer, Dragoon

In a perfect world I'd go
Thief/Summ/Beast/Drag and Black/Bard/Nin/Dancer - the first lets me pretend Dragoon is good by coasting on a stolen spear and then Genji while Summoner and Beast do all the work, and then the latter gives me Sing and Black-boosted Throw.

That first one was one of my teams last year, and it was good enough to inspire me to chase after the other jobs.

MagusDraco posted:

Speaking of your 20 job challenge thing, I'm almost done with a 25 job challenge I fell into (and started job fairing for around the 5th run). Just one more run to go...

Post when you're done and tell me what you spent on the job fair.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Complete_Cynic posted:

Doesn't really matter. Your team will easily make it through the game with either class. I guess it depends on whether you'd like an easier time against the Crystals (Samurai) or a possible shot at Omega (Dancer).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 1, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Samurai with 2handed gets really good crits. Especially if you get Murakumo (was doing over 6k damage to void bosses 20% of the time)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just in case anyone with blue mages doesn't know this, Pond's Chorus works on Garula and makes him powerless.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Just in case anyone with blue mages doesn't know this, Pond's Chorus works on Garula and makes him powerless.

Until he untoads himself

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Lurdiak posted:

Garula does untoad himself, though that still wastes a turn. If you have blue magic, Flash also works on Garula.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Garula does untoad himself, though that still wastes a turn. If you have blue magic, Flash also works on Garula.

Where do you get flash before the fire ship?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

You can feed an Ether to one of those tombstone things in the Northern Mountain, and it'll use Flash in response.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

Until he untoads himself

That's assuming it even hits! His terrible magic stats means he's likely to miss himself a few times before untoading, and then you just re-pond him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I don't know what I did to merit five Dark Bow drops in the Ronka Ruins, but alright.

Just finished World 1 in my fourth run. This time my party is Geomancer/Chemist/Dragoon/Ninja. For once, the Geomancer is the important one, since their fat Magic stat is a great candidate for both !Mix and !Throw (not to mention DUAL BELLS). Dragoon can be a !Mix bot that has an Aegis Shield, that's all the relevance Dragoon is allowed to have.

Gonna spam !Gaia as long as I can, at least.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Garula is also vulnerable to silence. You can't take advantage of that under Fiesta rules, but if you ever play with fewer restrictions, you can completely neuter him with blind, silence and toad.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lurdiak posted:

That's assuming it even hits! His terrible magic stats means he's likely to miss himself a few times before untoading, and then you just re-pond him.

Magic hitting is entirely a function of spell hit rate, level of target and caster, and magic evasion.

I wrote the book on magic evasion so I hope I know what I mean.

Toad has an 80% hit rate, is the same level as himself, and the Toad status negates magic evasion.... but Garula didn't have any anyway.

So it just has the 80% chance to hit.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Funktastic posted:

So I guess it's time for my donation pledge!

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

May be doubled later depending on my money situation.

I hope this one's still open.

Summoners are ridiculous :toot:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

I finished! :toot: Final tally came in at 70 cutscenes, which is... significantly less than I thought it would be. Turns out the party doesn't have much to say about most of world 3. World 1 actually had more cutscenes than the other two combined. Here's the complete list. I'll also be editing it into the original toxx post.
Oof, you didn't get the one where you leave The Void after engaging Exdeath smh. Seriously though, nice job!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Run 2 down. Four black mages for my solo job run of the year and it was mostly easy. I forgot to buy a flame ring in world 1 for the crystals so I unfortunately had to game genie it in. Nothing else was really that bad at all - black mage is a killer job.

Grinding that first reflect ring sucked, though.

Level 28 all around, so I don't think it qualifies for any toxxes.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Finally got it!

I've never done this before, it was a lot of fun! Big thanks to all the online resources, especially the goon discord (y'all rock).

I've never got past the second world before but this challenge is great for focus and motivation. Blue Magic is so so good.

Special shoutout to my MVP who survived NED long enough to revive my actual useful members:

(She spent most of the run with Equip Axes and the Rune Axe.)

Funktastic posted:

So I guess it's time for my donation pledge!

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

May be doubled later depending on my money situation.

Add me to your list :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Geomancers are amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Magic hitting is entirely a function of spell hit rate, level of target and caster, and magic evasion.

I wrote the book on magic evasion so I hope I know what I mean.

Toad has an 80% hit rate, is the same level as himself, and the Toad status negates magic evasion.... but Garula didn't have any anyway.

So it just has the 80% chance to hit.

That's really weird, I've never seen him hit it reliably. I must've been very lucky.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Doom Goon posted:

Oof, you didn't get the one where you leave The Void after engaging Exdeath smh. Seriously though, nice job!

Man, I seriously thought about checking this too, but I decided there was no way they'd actually do it. I even had time mage to make it less of a pain in the rear end! Thanks!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Man, I seriously thought about checking this too, but I decided there was no way they'd actually do it. I even had time mage to make it less of a pain in the rear end! Thanks!

Not sure if this is different enough to consider it another optional cutscene rather than a permutation of a cutscene, but you can also go to Surgate after you get the Submarine to get slightly different dialogue.

...And also go there during World 3:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

:toxx: 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. :toxx:

(Lenna getting real sick of the wishy-washiness)

Run 3 down! This one had some rough spots, Monk early on had to deal with a painful Liquid Flame/Byblos (Beastmaster was my fourth). Barehanded inheriting 24 STR (the most) was nice but Monk, for having so much HP, is really fragile by itself and I didn't get nearly enough levels for it to feel any good. Not much synergy and Thief in addition really doubled down on that "Ugh, you're dead again?" feeling. IMO Beastmaster is one of those super-useful classes where dealing with it is like repeatedly stubbing your toe over and over again through the whole game and it's hindered that you get Catch as its last ability. I like Samurai quite a lot (dodging, shielding, criting, money-throwing, hasteing, initiative, insta-killer) but I didn't get to use !Iainuki much (it's an 850 ABP investment after all)!

First time I've ever done Calm locking! It took awhile to get correctly and oh boy does it take forever to get enough crits with Barehanded or Katanas. I winged it on Katanas (Fist's crits are 8% twice btw) but I made the mistake of thinking that the critical rate was the same for each katana until I looked it up afterwards (whoops!).

The ol' Mirage Vest glitch technically, with reflecting Mammon and also using Galajelly (I think I used Mythril Knife or something from the back row to not kill it). With Samurai (both extra evasion and Masamune Haste meaning Elven Mantle) and Blind that meant I was in no danger of messing this one up, although it was pretty frustrating having to set everything up. A common complaint with Beastmaster. Oh, also had Dragon's Whiskers which meant it took little time (fun fact, it uses the Bows Strong vs. Creature formula which also halves Shinryu's 20% evasion along with the Strong vs bonus).

This was... fairly bad. After a few wipes I decided to swap jobs around due to ABP gaps and catch some Dragon Aevises (thanks Control). I had set up a Crystelle catch for Mighty Guard earlier which was also something of a nightmare, made worse with Monk's countering. Wiped a couple more times until I switched to Zeninage/Magic Lamp and more Elixirs and Gold Needles/Phoenix Downs than I figured I'd need. Just not enough HP and armor I think (well, for 3/4 of my party) w/ HP+30% not being very reasonable or cheap.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Isn't this scene mandatory? Or is there some way to actually skip it?

And yes, it is actually possible to get a Game Over if you take too long between beating Minotaur and battling Omniscient.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

Isn't this scene mandatory? Or is there some way to actually skip it?

And yes, it is actually possible to get a Game Over if you take too long between beating Minotaur and battling Omniscient.

If you play on the SNES version, Project Demi skips that bit entirely and you instantly jump to Krile joining the party.

I sorta wish for Project Demi to get a GBA version, all the QoL stuff is just too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can also get out of the fight without dialogue or dealing damage by using Self-Destruct or using a Phoenix Down with Bone Mail, if you'd count that as skipping it.