Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

weekly font posted:

Every lovecraft game only remembering CoC and Innsmouth as stories are why these games stink and why games that are inspired by H.P. vs directly sourced are better (Eternal Darkness, Sunless S__, Darkest Dungeon, Night in the Woods, etc.)

Cardiovorax posted:

I would like to see a game based on The Color out of Space someday. You could create all kinds of novel and color-based visual gameplay mechanics for a game like that.

Elder Scrolls-style open world game, set in the Dreamlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How many times do the NPCs call it The Stinking City?
Can you unlock a bath robe and slippers as an outfit for the character?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Glagha posted:

Wasn't that kind of the original point of the deep ones in the original story except in that the reader was supposed to agree that yes, miscegenation with outsiders is indeed horrifying and awful. Also doesn't it kind of undermine the message if the fish people actually ARE a hostile, corrupting force?
Not to poo poo on the game sight unseen, but bad experience has taught me that you may be putting more critical thought into it than the developers did.

JerryLee posted:

Elder Scrolls-style open world game, set in the Dreamlands.
I think this is the point where I'm supposed to say "shut up and take me money," yes?

But seriously, I'd play that. Or, hell, a game based on Zothique, Clark Ashton Smith's future-Earth sister setting to the Cthulhu mythos.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Glagha posted:

Wasn't that kind of the original point of the deep ones in the original story except in that the reader was supposed to agree that yes, miscegenation with outsiders is indeed horrifying and awful.
Yeah, that's why it's super interesting. Games usually stick to the fish people as antagonists while trying to ignore the racist subtext, while the sinking city is diving right into it and making it its theme.

Glagha posted:

Also doesn't it kind of undermine the message if the fish people actually ARE a hostile, corrupting force?
That's the thing though, everybody's blaming them and their squid cult for the flood and resurgence of squid monsters because duh, obviously it's gotta be the fish people behind the fishy things walking around, but it's not actually that clear cut, some fish people are decent folks and some "pure" humans are terrible so you've gotta work through the obvious prejudice to find out what's really going on. And that's before going into how you are in fact prone to hallucinating stuff that may not be there or the way you see it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I forgot about the sky

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Cardiovorax posted:

I would like to see a game based on The Color out of Space someday. You could create all kinds of novel and color-based visual gameplay mechanics for a game like that.

Second this. Though I haven't played it, I do see that Darkest Dungeon has a "Colour of Madness" DLC that plays heavily on farmer/cosmic crystal imagery which if nothing else seems pretty heavily inspired by that particular story.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Second this. Though I haven't played it, I do see that Darkest Dungeon has a "Colour of Madness" DLC that plays heavily on farmer/cosmic crystal imagery which if nothing else seems pretty heavily inspired by that particular story.
I've played it. It mostly just shares the name. Good coffee break game, but not quite up to what I think that idea could be.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

Wasn't that kind of the original point of the deep ones in the original story except in that the reader was supposed to agree that yes, miscegenation with outsiders is indeed horrifying and awful. Also doesn't it kind of undermine the message if the fish people actually ARE a hostile, corrupting force?

They're not, they're refugees of a police raid whose timing with the woes of the city are being used by the ruling class to rile up the citizens and maintain power. There are cultists devoted to the old ways but there are humans who recognize the rot won't go away if outsiders are left to starve and grow desperate.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah without going into specifics the fish people aren't evil or anything like that.

Like someone can be catholic but disagree with the catholic church. And the deep ones are kind of like that. Without getting into spoilers Sinking City is more about organizations, cults, and politics using and abusing people for there own gains and how power imbalances both eldrich and mundane can really gently caress up cities and communities and the ripple effect it has. It straight up has the KKK in the game to hammer it home.

The devs cited Alan Moores Providence as inspiration and it shows. Btw, if you've never read it I highly recommend it.

I loving love sinking city and if it was on steam I would recommend people try it and return it if they didn't like it. For now though John Wolfe is doing a good playthrough of it and he's enjoying it if you want to see what it's like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_9g-lNXY8

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wait, Sinking City is Epic Exclusive? gently caress.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another good game that is in the same sorta theme as Lovecraft without being a specific reference to Lovecraft would be the "The Room" series. They're these point & click games that are entirely about fiddling about with puzzle boxes that eventually open up into bigger puzzle boxes that open into even bigger puzzle boxes that open into puzzle rooms which become bigger puzzle rooms and soon enough you discover you're trapped in a hell dimension of endless puzzle rooms where each time you solve one you just end up being shifted into another one where you keep finding notes from others who have been through there and showing just how hosed time and space is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

For a year.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just like The Outer Wilds, so no achievements, cards, wish lists, or other obvious features for you!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Agent Escalus posted:

Just like The Outer Wilds, so no achievements, cards, wish lists, or other obvious features for you!

Hey it does have the feature of your credit card probably being hacked at some point, because there is a no way a storefront that doesn't even have a shopping card has good security.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent Escalus posted:

Does not having those actually matter for a game? Because lol if not having pointless extra poo poo like cheevos is a deal breaker

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Len posted:

Does not having those actually matter for a game? Because lol if not having pointless extra poo poo like cheevos is a deal breaker

Nah, but it's fun to pile on

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can buy a key off the humble store.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Having an interface even worse that the Steam store certainly makes a difference to where I choose to leave my money (and/or banking information.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Agent Escalus posted:

I just realized that this is mostly true for the Switch. It has a Wishlist but I personally haven't gotten any emails about things on it being on sale and they don't remove from it when you buy things.

Cardiovorax posted:

Having an interface even worse that the Steam store certainly makes a difference to where I choose to leave my money (and/or banking information.)

My friend let me introduce you to the iOS store because literally anything is better than that. Also most things charge you immediately instead of like a week later. It takes so long to actually charge you I forgot I bought things and panic for a second.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

My friend let me introduce you to the iOS store because literally anything is better than that. Also most things charge you immediately instead of like a week later. It takes so long to actually charge you I forgot I bought things and panic for a second.
Sounds like a trial, I am glad to be an Android user right now. In all seriousness, though, with all the money Epic is throwing around trying to snatch up exclusives for themselves, they clearly have the money to hire competent programmers and GUI designers with some real experience in usability, but apparently they didn't. With web stores being what they are, that doesn't engender a lot of trust in their business model in me. If I'm going to buy stuff on a digital platform, I want to be one that I can trust to still be around (and to still be secure) in ten years' time, so I'm a bit leery about it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Sounds like a trial, I am glad to be an Android user right now. In all seriousness, though, with all the money Epic is throwing around trying to snatch up exclusives for themselves, they clearly have the money to hire competent programmers and GUI designers with some real experience in usability, but apparently they didn't. With web stores being what they are, that doesn't engender a lot of trust in their business model in me. If I'm going to buy stuff on a digital platform, I want to be one that I can trust to still be around (and to still be secure) in ten years' time, so I'm a bit leery about it.

Yeah I main Android so the iPad I have confuses me with how close it is but at the same time so garbage.

At some point an update just removed the wish list feature because gently caress you that's why.

The epic store probably won't go anywhere until Fortnite stops printing money though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Epic will exist forever while Unreal Engine is licensed to a poo poo ton of devs, The Sinking City included. Even Nintendo is getting in on it. And like Valve they're a private company so they're not beholden to constantly maximize profits.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

al-azad posted:

Epic will exist forever while Unreal Engine is licensed to a poo poo ton of devs, The Sinking City included. Even Nintendo is getting in on it. And like Valve they're a private company so they're not beholden to constantly maximize profits.

Judging by how they run Fortnite they sure as hell act like it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

The epic store probably won't go anywhere until Fortnite stops printing money though
I suppose not, but you can't keep throwing money at problems forever if your core product just isn't up to spec. I'll give it another year or two and see if its launcher stops being hot garbage, but right now they don't really have anything I'm that invested in anyway. Until then I'm mentally putting it in the same general category as the Ubisoft launcher or Origin.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Fortnite and the brutal crunch they're putting its devs through makes more sense once you realize that Epic views it less as a game and more of an advertising delivery platform.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 30, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

1stGear posted:

Fortnite and the brutal crunch they're putting its devs through makes more sense once you realize that Epic views it less as a game and more of an advertising delivery platform.

I think its more Epic is worried that if they don't keep it fresh and interesting for their audience, the kids will move on to the next hot thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which, in all fairness, they absolutely would. From what I've been picking up, Epic is currently throwing out way, way more capital than they're making back from basically everything else in their portfolio combined. They can't really afford to lose that market.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cardiovorax posted:

Which, in all fairness, they absolutely would. From what I've been picking up, Epic is currently throwing out way, way more capital than they're making back from basically everything else in their portfolio combined. They can't really afford to lose that market.

I mean they'd survive they'd just have to downsize. Unreal engine will never let them die.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So I wound up picking up Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight during the Steam Sale and tried them both during the weekend, and wow. I gotta say, I have no idea why Dead by Daylight is as popular as it is given how little it does to actually take advantage of its own premise. When I heard about these multiplayer 1vEveryone horror games, I expected something along the lines of well, what Friday the 13th (very successfully) delivers on. You know, recreating a sort of horror movie experience, where survivors are being picked off one by one while trying to escape a horrible killer. Instead, Dead by Daylight is this odd, almost context-free labyrinth of booby traps, generators, and survivors who instead of dying when rammed with a chainsaw are just temporarily downed until they can be meat-hooked. I guess I'm not really understanding what they're going for here.

It makes it all the more a shame that Friday the 13th is the one that's going to be inevitably shut down since the license was pulled out from under them, because it honestly delivers way better on the horror movie experience in my opinion. Dying in Friday the 13th is entertaining in and of itself thanks to the variety of kills, and I usually found myself sticking around afterwards just to watch my fellow survivors' experiences. In Dead By Daylight, even though there's a dozen different killers, I always wind up suffering the exact same meat-hook fate, and spectating is less enjoyable for the same reason. Ultimately, there's exactly one win state and one fail state. Where in Friday the 13th, there's a variety of ways to win or fail.

Bert of the Forest fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 1, 2019

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh yeah, half the fun in F13 is the killed players being shuffled off to view mode to MST3K the survivors. "No don't hide under the bed you idiot."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I watched a few videos of Dead By Daylight and honestly, it looks like it would be pretty fun for about an hour, but when you get right down to it? It's a horror-themed game of playing tag. Which is nice and all, but I kinda got that out of my system twenty years ago.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I don't know why people say Gone Home isn't a horror game. I spent at least half the plot expecting to find a corpse hanging in the attic. There's a specific sequence towards the end that feels like it's building up to a horrible jumpscare and then turns out to be vastly more wholesome than you thought. It's an unconventional horror game, but it definitely has horror elements.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, horror needs to actually have something horrifying in it. Otherwise you're watering down the term to the point where it really doesn't describe anything, because it describes everything.

Your imagination making something tense and nerve-wracking for you isn't the same as being horror fiction, although I guess you could call it a thriller? Well, movie conventions don't really apply to video games all that well, so maybe not.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Calling gone home a horror is the stretchiest of stretches

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, horror needs to actually have something horrifying in it. Otherwise you're watering down the term to the point where it really doesn't describe anything, because it describes everything.

Your imagination making something tense and nerve-wracking for you isn't the same as being horror fiction, although I guess you could call it a thriller? Well, movie conventions don't really apply to video games all that well, so maybe not.

I dunno two teenagers making spectacularly awful life decisions is arguably horrifying.

I agree, though, Gone Home has scary aspects, but it isn't horror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dogstile posted:

Calling gone home a horror is the stretchiest of stretches

It's definitely a game that builds itself up to be horror if you go in not knowing that it's not. The tearful call that sets off the whole story immediately implies that something awful has happened, the dark empty house, the conversations about a ghost in the house, the hidden panels and creepy poo poo in the attic, including a jump scare when you pick up a cross and the light goes out. In any other game all of it would have been building up to something scary, but it actually builds up to ghosts aren't real and Sam just ran away from home to be gay and happy.

I think that's the reason people felt disappointed in it. It hits so many points of a horror game so well, but the reality behind everything doesn't match it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The thread has had that discussion before, but yeah, a lot of people apparently just think it feels like it should've been horror, but isn't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most of those examples are just normal suspense. I would argue that horror has to have at least some intentionality to incite fear, revulsion and/or discomfort in the viewer, whereas the purpose of an unanswered question like "what was that tearful answering machine message about?" is just to instill the normal kind of tension that exists in every narrative. Calling Gone Home a horror game would also have to wilfully forget or ignore every single other aspect of the story minus a couple suspenseful moments. Nothing else about the presentation or tone leads in that direction.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

It's definitely a game that builds itself up to be horror if you go in not knowing that it's not. The tearful call that sets off the whole story immediately implies that something awful has happened, the dark empty house, the conversations about a ghost in the house, the hidden panels and creepy poo poo in the attic, including a jump scare when you pick up a cross and the light goes out. In any other game all of it would have been building up to something scary, but it actually builds up to ghosts aren't real and Sam just ran away from home to be gay and happy.

I think that's the reason people felt disappointed in it. It hits so many points of a horror game so well, but the reality behind everything doesn't match it.

Also someone also put together clues in the game, and the developer I think either outright, or all but outright confirmed, that they were right: The uncle or whatever that left the house to the father of the MC and Sam abused him when he was a boy (the implication is molestation).

Article where they piece it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Most of those examples are just normal suspense. I would argue that horror has to have at least some intentionality to incite fear, revulsion and/or discomfort in the viewer, whereas the purpose of an unanswered question like "what was that tearful answering machine message about?" is just to instill the normal kind of tension that exists in every narrative. Calling Gone Home a horror game would also have to wilfully forget or ignore every single other aspect of the story minus a couple suspenseful moments. Nothing else about the presentation or tone leads in that direction.

While I would ordinarily accept this explanation in a vacuum, the specific stuff that happens in Gone Home does incite fear and discomfort. There are specific hints regarding the ghost they think is in the house and the secrets behind hidden panels that seem to be building up to some kind of revelation with a lot more punch and terror than finding out that everything is normal and your sister just ran off to join her girlfriend, accompanied by a jump scare at one point. The problem isn't "Oh, it's just tension! That's not a horror thing!" It's there are specific things that are definitely geared toward implying that you're playing a horror game.