Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Fiedler posted:

there's some insanity that prompts executives in charge of an os monopoly to perpetually fund development of a replacement for it
:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Google is developing Fuchsia because Linus is an rear end in a top hat and monolithic kernels were a mistake.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there must be a real reason for fuscia, somewhere, even if it is just a founder's whim

it's too expensive a project with too few real-world applications to slide by this long

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
my fav weird detail of fuschia is that Flutter is the first class UI framework which means loving Dart has a shot of living on somehow

what a long weird road that language has had

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there must be a real reason for fuscia, somewhere, even if it is just a founder's whim

it's too expensive a project with too few real-world applications to slide by this long

microsoft spent a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars building midori - an entirely new operating system that was completely incompatible with win32. they created a new variant of c# and development tools specifically for midori. then they disbanded the teams and threw it all away.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, the reason is they're going to move Android off of Linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

microsoft spent a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars building midori - an entirely new operating system that was completely incompatible with win32. they created a new variant of c# and development tools specifically for midori. then they disbanded the teams and threw it all away.

microsoft spent decades under incompetent management

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, the reason is they're going to move Android off of Linux

that does seem like a probable fantasy driving the expensive initiative

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

just one decade

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the microsoft defender has logged on

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Terminal late-stage Not Created Here Syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fiedler posted:

the value proposition of midori was still more clear-cut than it is for fuchsia though, it at least amounted to somewhat novel research (mostly supplanted by rust now though).

the real strange bit is why all research os's end up named after colors.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
mostly a reference to the blue/pink disaster from Taligent/Apple, named after the colors of the index cards they wrote the OS designs on. why they would want to harken back to that disaster, nobody knows

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

mostly a reference to the blue/pink disaster from Taligent/Apple, named after the colors of the index cards they wrote the OS designs on. why they would want to harken back to that disaster, nobody knows

apparently it really is an intentional reference too

wikipedia posted:

Some of Apple's personnel and design concepts from Pink and from Purple (the original iPhone's codename)[5][6] would resurface in the late 2010s and blend into Google's Fuchsia operating system. Intended to envelop and succeed Android, its open-source code repository was launched in 2016 with the phrase "Pink + Purple == Fuchsia".[7]

even accounting for the purple part it is not possible to pick a more cursed name, imo. pink (taligent) was, in hindsight, incredibly doomed in every possible way

(blue turned out relatively all right, but that's because the blue cards were just unambitious updates to old school macos. blue became system 7.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for Google to announce OpenDoc 2.0

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hi! @gpuweb

I'm interested in collaborating with this project by delivering a series of logotype options that fits this project for the best!

If interested let me know so we can get started!

Cheers!

https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/issues/352

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qImHuiYnVQ0

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

BobHoward posted:

even accounting for the purple part it is not possible to pick a more cursed name, imo. pink (taligent) was, in hindsight, incredibly doomed in every possible way

was roz ho in charge of it, though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

apparently it really is an intentional reference too

(blue turned out relatively all right, but that's because the blue cards were just unambitious updates to old school macos. blue became system 7.)

the successor to taligent was even more cursed than taligent

workplace os didn't even have a userspace api. it was just "microkernel all the things." it had (extremely slow) os/2, aix, and os/400 personalities

the only one that was ever released as a product was workplace OS w/ os/2, aka "os/2 for ppc". it was horrendously slow and no one was asking for os/2 on ppc to start with

also jfs for linux was derived from the workplace os aix personality, so i guess that is technically the longest-lived portion of the pink/taligent/workplace fiasco

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nope

ICU is from Taligent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also Kent Beck based his Smalltalk unit testing framework—the one from which all modern testing frameworks derive, though most by way of JUnit—on the one he used at Taligent

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Sounds like another horror caused by Taligent then

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i just saw kent beck, he's p funny and apologized for working at facebook and ruining democracy

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

quote:

MATLAB is the BMW sedan of the scientific computing world. It’s expensive, and that’s before you start talking about accessories (toolboxes). You’re paying for a rock-solid, smooth performance and service. It also attracts a disproportionate amount of hate.

Python is a Ford pickup. It’s ubiquitous and beloved by many (in the USA). It can do everything you want, and it’s built to do some things that other vehicles can’t. Chances are you’re going to want to borrow one now and then. But it doesn’t offer a great pure driving experience.

Julia is a Tesla. It’s built with an audacious goal of changing the future, and it might. It may also become just a footnote. But in the meantime you’ll get where you are going in style, and with power to spare.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ouch, that’s pretty cruel to Julia

also missing R, Mathematica, and granddaddy MACSYMA

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i guess octave = geely ge?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

i guess octave = geely ge?

knockoff bmv from some former ussr republic

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

matlab is horrific.

say what you want about python but it’s a million times better than R, S, SAS, M, octave.

Julia is a joke as well which is I guess an apt analogy with Tesla.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

matlab is fuckin insane in both good and awful ways

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the andrew ng mooc for machine learning is in octave and i'd never wish that on anyone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

matlab is fuckin insane in both good and awful ways

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Julia is probably the biggest joke of a language with any name recognition at all. yes more so than javascript and go

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bloody posted:

Julia is probably the biggest joke of a language with any name recognition at all. yes more so than javascript and go

It's trying to fill that niche that some people will insist exists between Pythons numpy and ???

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

pseudorandom name posted:

Google is developing Fuchsia because monolithic kernels were a mistake.
ignoring the part I agree with, that's a pretty strong statement. microkernels have been great for toys or research projects, but not so much in the real world.

osx is the only one i can think of in any sort of widespread use and even that uses a hybrid model.

the fact that thread libraries like freeRTOS are considered microkernels is a joke, right? if you want to do anything useful with it you still statically link it all together and make calls directly to the various stacks.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

It's trying to fill that niche that some people will insist exists between Pythons numpy and ???

there is totally a niche for "what if numerics and data science had a good language" but holy poo poo Julia ain't it

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Boiled Water posted:

fortran - a ton of people in academia/science-related fields still use it

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Source You're Quotes

Imagine thinking the ire that MATLAB draws is "disproportionate", holy hell

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
I have a severe case of stockholm syndrome for Intersystems Cache and even I think MATLAB is a huge turd of a language

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vomik posted:

matlab is horrific.

say what you want about python but it’s a million times better than R, S, SAS, M, octave.

Julia is a joke as well which is I guess an apt analogy with Tesla.

no lang has anything on r if we talk about package ecosystem for math-adjacent thing

Boiled Water posted:

numba/cython

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Harik posted:

ignoring the part I agree with, that's a pretty strong statement. microkernels have been great for toys or research projects, but not so much in the real world.

osx is the only one i can think of in any sort of widespread use and even that uses a hybrid model.

the fact that thread libraries like freeRTOS are considered microkernels is a joke, right? if you want to do anything useful with it you still statically link it all together and make calls directly to the various stacks.

qnx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also the Horizon micro kernel OS as used on the Nintendo 3DS and then the Switch