Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Goodbye Rafa, you deserved better, go get that Chinese payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

quote:

During Ashley’s 12 years, the club’s infrastructure has not been enhanced to a meaningful extent. It was something Benítez thought vital. “When I came to Newcastle, they gave me the plans for the new training ground, I was talking to the architect about changing a few things,” he says, smiling now. “And after three years . . . they painted the walls.

they're such a pack of cunts

quote:

“Newcastle is what they’ve had since they were kids. They must continue to support it. Their commitment, their passion has been so good for me. I tell them ‘thank you very much, you are in my heart’. Hopefully they will be successful and, you never know, maybe we will see each other again in the future.”

:unsmith:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

kcer posted:

I think someone mentioned it briefly here but he's got rangers so far hosed regarding merchandising that for every £10 spent on their merch, the club as it is now only gets 14p

it's was posted on one of those fan run news aggregator twitter accounts so it could be bullshit, but it wouldn't surprise me

Sadly this is untrue and they were getting 4% not 1.4%
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/04/rangers-sports-direct-formal-notice-end-joint-venture-dave-king-letter

However Dave King has hosed rangers because he tried to be clever when they were attempting to get out of that 7 year deal, and by accident granted Ashley the right to have their merchandising forever as long he matched whatever deal they could get from anyone else.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/a...rangers-fc-case

in short

Raffles posted:

Mike Ashley owns imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is a really good read. Arsenal has been completely mismanaged financially by Wenger and Gazidis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't blame him

https://twitter.com/GeorgeCaulkin/status/1146017039221481473?s=20

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Jose posted:

can't blame him

https://twitter.com/NUFCThreatLevel/status/1146016158916718593

lol, just lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the clubs official response is that those training facilities haven't stopped anyone signing for the team so why bother upgrading them

i forgot about these

https://twitter.com/garethblackwood/status/1146019470047109122?s=20

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

quite fitting for a bin man club

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Raffles posted:

quite fitting for a bin man club

drat, rinsed

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

This is a really good read. Arsenal has been completely mismanaged financially by Wenger and Gazidis.

What happens what a football team doesn’t invest in its football operations.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Arsenal also hosed themselves over by buying awful players on comparatively high wages they can't get rid of like Mustafi or Jenkinson (possibly Xhaka too but I feel like he might be salvagable under Emery). And that's not even including players like Ozil or Mkhitaryan who aren't complete poo poo but aren't doing enough to earn the high wages they're being paid

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mr Snips posted:

Arsenal also hosed themselves over by buying awful players on comparatively high wages they can't get rid of like Mustafi or Jenkinson (possibly Xhaka too but I feel like he might be salvagable under Emery). And that's not even including players like Ozil or Mkhitaryan who aren't complete poo poo but aren't doing enough to earn the high wages they're being paid

It’s kind of amazing how poorly the last ten or so years have gone for them business-wise. They made a massive gamble in the Emirates, and it didn’t pay off for a lot of reasons. At the same time, Wengy embarked upon his youth project to steady the ship while they paid for the emirates. That blew up, twice, setting the Arsenal squad back for years. Then Wengy finally started to spend some money in a panic to save face, the scouting team was poo poo and he bought a bunch of expensive and bad players and missed out on the champions league while massively inflating the wage bill.

You would think Kroenke would sink some money into the squad to protect his investment because the club is clearly headed in the wrong direction, but he’s not going to do that because he’s used to owning teams whose financial success is tied to the league they are in.

Thank you, it was a nice meltdown.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't think building a new stadium was a bad idea. They went from 38k seats to 60k. The place gets booked constantly for events that aren't club related. They have a huge branding deal for it. The Highbury flats was a poo poo show for awhile but I think they eventually turned it around.

People have just been idiotic with the money that was available. Brought in the wrong players and paid them too much money. Everything was contingent on staying in the Champions League and it's going to poo poo when that didn't happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blue footed boobie posted:

It’s kind of amazing how poorly the last ten or so years have gone for them business-wise. They made a massive gamble in the Emirates, and it didn’t pay off for a lot of reasons. At the same time, Wengy embarked upon his youth project to steady the ship while they paid for the emirates. That blew up, twice, setting the Arsenal squad back for years. Then Wengy finally started to spend some money in a panic to save face, the scouting team was poo poo and he bought a bunch of expensive and bad players and missed out on the champions league while massively inflating the wage bill.

You would think Kroenke would sink some money into the squad to protect his investment because the club is clearly headed in the wrong direction, but he’s not going to do that because he’s used to owning teams whose financial success is tied to the league they are in.

Thank you, it was a nice meltdown.

kroenke is a loving idiot

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Without official crisp and bog roll partners they were entirely dependent on CL income to maintain CL-level spending. All it took was Wenger failing to qualify once and the wheels fell off.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

I don't think building a new stadium was a bad idea. They went from 38k seats to 60k. The place gets booked constantly for events that aren't club related. They have a huge branding deal for it. The Highbury flats was a poo poo show for awhile but I think they eventually turned it around.

People have just been idiotic with the money that was available. Brought in the wrong players and paid them too much money. Everything was contingent on staying in the Champions League and it's going to poo poo when that didn't happen.

Well at the very least it didn't work out at all as they had planned. The idea behind building the Emirates was that the club would live below their means for a few years while they paid for it and emerge with a real financial edge over the competition. But while it was being built tv revenue rose dramatically and petrol dollars came into play. And on top of that, Arsenal signed extremely long endorsement deals that were frontloaded to finance the building and ended up being extremely below market value in later years. So, by the time the Emirates payments became less burdensome it didn't provide much of a financial edge, and Arsenal had lost 5+ years of squad development, as well as the commercial opportunities that would come with actually being good.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wengy also seemed to believe player prices were a bubble and he was looking for value in the market, I remember a bunch of posters citing his Economics qualifications. Other teams bought players that inflated in value, he saved money that lost value. Then you add in the club being really bad at renewing contracts and getting sales in before the player leaves.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Wengy also seemed to believe player prices were a bubble and he was looking for value in the market, I remember a bunch of posters citing his Economics qualifications. Other teams bought players that inflated in value, he saved money that lost value. Then you add in the club being really bad at renewing contracts and getting sales in before the player leaves.

Arsenal literally took out short term bonds on their massive piles of cash so that they would only be negligent and not grossly negligent in their management of the club. It was the most insane poo poo ever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we're 100% getting relegated

https://twitter.com/dpcoverdale/status/1146340944264028161

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

He's far from the worst choice. Frankly they'd need someone of the quality of Rafa to keep them up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

David Moyes is literally out of contract and available now so it could be a lot worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the absolute meltdown hiring an ex sunderland manager after losing benitez would be something to see. someone recently suggested roy keane would be good for the role lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Whoops, forgot he'd managed Sunderland

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get O'Neill

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There is absolutely positively no chance it’s Martinez simply because Ashley isn’t paying a manager’s release clause. Literally every single manager he’s hired has been out of work.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Has Ashley spoken out or been interviewed lately as to what his "vision" is for all of this aside from trying to sell the club? At least with the Glazers while utterly repugnant, it's pretty clear they're sucking money out of the club. But Ashley consistently seems to pursue activities that actively harm being able to sell on.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It certainly appears that Lamps to Chelsea is a done deal.

https://twitter.com/Thiban_ben/status/1146478407519219713

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sticksy posted:

Has Ashley spoken out or been interviewed lately as to what his "vision" is for all of this aside from trying to sell the club? At least with the Glazers while utterly repugnant, it's pretty clear they're sucking money out of the club. But Ashley consistently seems to pursue activities that actively harm being able to sell on.

He’s sucking profit, sponsorship and property out of the club

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Bring the MON effect back to the north east

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
https://twitter.com/henrywinter/status/1146771904549871616?s=19

just lol if Frank comes in and still plays kante out of position

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Diva Cupcake posted:

It certainly appears that Lamps to Chelsea is a done deal.

https://twitter.com/Thiban_ben/status/1146478407519219713

That dude is thiccc

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
https://twitter.com/dubai_geordie/status/1148126272435949569

that'll be that then. almost exactly the same subtext as last time

tried our best
did everything asked of us
deal isn't forthcoming
both parties worked amicably

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I wonder how long it will take until China starts to develop a steady stream of European top league quality players with all this financial investment and poaching of talent from European leagues. Who's the best Chinese player at this point?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

I wonder how long it will take until China starts to develop a steady stream of European top league quality players with all this financial investment and poaching of talent from European leagues. Who's the best Chinese player at this point?

I assume its the guy who plays in La Liga? I think all of their other regulars play in China.

And it is going to be very hard for them to develop a league that can compete financially and on the pitch. My prediction is that it eventually starts looking like the KHL (if it doesn't already), with basically like 3 flagship teams that have good players making huge money and then a bunch of of filler teams, and the whole enterprise run at a huge financial loss.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flayer posted:

There was big talk about this in 2002 when they qualified for the World Cup. Seventeen years later their entire squad for their most recent fixtures was domestically based. The level of play in the Chinese Super League is very very bad. China lost to Iran, Thailand, and Uzbekistan recently(thanks Wikipedia).

Their best player, as bewbies said, is a forward playing for Espanyol.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ozil to Fenerbahce seems to be a rumor making the rounds. God I would be so happy if this happened.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Shrapnig posted:

There was big talk about this in 2002 when they qualified for the World Cup. Seventeen years later their entire squad for their most recent fixtures was domestically based. The level of play in the Chinese Super League is very very bad. China lost to Iran, Thailand, and Uzbekistan recently(thanks Wikipedia).

They supposedly have money now though. I don't even remember the Chinese league existing in 2002; I'm sure it did but nobody was going there. I think there's more substance to it now. Who knows if that will actually mean anything.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Shrapnig posted:

The good Chinese teams still lose to A-League teams even with their star players, the quality of the rest of the Chinese players is that bad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As we see with our friends LigaMX, pumping money in to the league doesn't necessarily result in growth of your domestic talent pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
would have thought china would have fluked a ronaldo or two over the years though, even just on based population alone