Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

did it need one though

iirc all char really does in his zaku II is beat the piss out of Amuro a bunch and get whoever's on his squad killed

intercepting some GMs is a good excuse as to why white base never got any and poor Hayato had to keep slumming it in a guntank though

The White Base actually got a few GMs in The Origin, in addition to spare Guntanks. It let them have a lot of background pilots to gradually kill off as the series went along. (Including Sleggar, who had a GM instead of a plane).

And it really was a good idea to give it one. Char's Zaku is one of the most famous Mobile Suits in the series, and it just... not showing up anymore feels awkward. Better, the scene gave another boost to Char and Amuro as THE pilots of the One Year War, as opposed to the way that some material tries to talk up their cool new ace pilot by pretending Amuro or Char wouldn't just reduce them to bloody smear on the wall without noticing. (A game has Gato able to stalemate Amuro one on one. This... does not scan.)

By having Char in a Zaku, (established earlier as fodder for trained GM pilots) take on over a dozen GMs easily, he and Amuro are highlighted as war changing aces, not "just" good pilots like a lot of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

The White Base actually got a few GMs in The Origin, in addition to spare Guntanks. It let them have a lot of background pilots to gradually kill off as the series went along. (Including Sleggar, who had a GM instead of a plane).

And it really was a good idea to give it one. Char's Zaku is one of the most famous Mobile Suits in the series, and it just... not showing up anymore feels awkward. Better, the scene gave another boost to Char and Amuro as THE pilots of the One Year War, as opposed to the way that some material tries to talk up their cool new ace pilot by pretending Amuro or Char wouldn't just reduce them to bloody smear on the wall without noticing. (A game has Gato able to stalemate Amuro one on one. This... does not scan.)

By having Char in a Zaku, (established earlier as fodder for trained GM pilots) take on over a dozen GMs easily, he and Amuro are highlighted as war changing aces, not "just" good pilots like a lot of others.

those are good points but I mostly just object to the idea that Char's zaku needs some grand sendoff. The unit just quietly retiring because it became outdated just seems like such a Real Robot thing to do, especially since Char couldn't even finish off Amuro with it when the skill gap was massive

also hahaha around the time they could actually fight Amuro would have clowned Gato so fuckin fast

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 26, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Are we talking about PS2 Encounters in Space? Because that game was great but I also don't remember Gato's campaign including going up against Amuro.

Mind you it has been nearly 15 years since I played EiS, so... nostalgia filter and bad memory may be in play here.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’ll have to look it up because there’s no way I’m replaying EiS, but it was either in Gato’s scenario or some secret route on Solomon where you fought Gato and couldn’t actually kill him

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

There's a scene in which Gato and Amuro meet during the battle of solomon, they fight a bit then gato fucks off.

Also the menu selection music in this game was an absolute banger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfWybHGmF4&t=39s

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Also the menu selection music in this game was an absolute banger

Kinda reminds me of one of the menu songs from Crossfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cCiMZ71p-I&t=37s

Shame the game played like poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're doing motion comic things showing the events of the upcoming Sangoku Soketsuden from different perspectives. They're up on Gundam info https://na.gundam.info/about-gundam/series-pages/sdw-soketsuden/comic.html

One of them has a way too badass poster for a cheap sidestory motion comic for a SD series

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Will I be able to jump straight into this new upcoming SD Gundam show? I haven't seen any of the other SD Gundam stuff before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Raxivace posted:

Will I be able to jump straight into this new upcoming SD Gundam show? I haven't seen any of the other SD Gundam stuff before.

The previous SD Gundam show, Sangoku Brave Battle Warriors, was a retelling of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Judging from the promotional material, Sangoku Soketsuden is a retelling of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but in the future and with zombies. And I think they've changed up which character is which Gundam

So you should be fine

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cool. I always planned at marathoning the rest of the SD stuff at some point, but it will be nice to follow the new show live.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
An official Gundam game is coming to American phones this summer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

It's gonna be bad and I'm gonna play it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Which mobile suit is the middle one? The front is Wing, and the back is Tallgeese, but I can't place the middle one. I'd have thought it was a Tallgeese derivative too, but I doubt they'd use two separate Tallgeese units as main characters in one show, even if there are multiple variants of it in Wing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

Which mobile suit is the middle one? The front is Wing, and the back is Tallgeese, but I can't place the middle one. I'd have thought it was a Tallgeese derivative too, but I doubt they'd use two separate Tallgeese units as main characters in one show, even if there are multiple variants of it in Wing.

It's the Tallgeese III.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's gonna be bad and I'm gonna play it.

Same. I'm not much of phone game person but it'll be way less guilty pleasure than the one otome game I have. The only phone game I played a lot was Sailor Moon Drops and thay got discontinued.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was hoping it would be that IBO sidestory game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Same. I'm not much of phone game person but it'll be way less guilty pleasure than the one otome game I have. The only phone game I played a lot was Sailor Moon Drops and thay got discontinued.

I tried so many terrible gacha game,s but the only one I remain addicted to this day is FGO.

It has Charles Babbage as a steampunk mecha.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

who can tell me about webdiver, like is it as good as the OPs

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Oof! I just noticed something awful (:v:) on the UC NexT 0100 Project page.

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/UC_NexT0100_PROJECT/

They've got F90 on there despite only some PB releases, and V Gundam despite only PB releases... and nothing in between. There have been both general and PB only releases for Crossbone recently and yet it's nowhere to be seen. So, bad news kids, Crossbone no longer canon. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

In amazingly tragic news, this is titled "Gundam Breaker Mobile" in Japan, which means that they hosed up a great franchise and then shipped its mangled corpse off to gacha hell to die.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

In amazingly tragic news, this is titled "Gundam Breaker Mobile" in Japan, which means that they hosed up a great franchise and then shipped its mangled corpse off to gacha hell to die.

On the other hand if it does well enough they might do another proper game, heard that it's going to use a modified version of the engine that 3 used too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drrockso20 posted:

On the other hand if it does well enough they might do another proper game, heard that it's going to use a modified version of the engine that 3 used too

I've heard this before with regard to major properties that fall down the mobage hole but it doesn't usually seem to pan out this way. It usually turns out that it's way easier exploiting how the human brain responds to gambling and addiction to sell SSR jpegs and 3d models than it is to actually make a full video game. Still waiting on that next Valkyrie Profile game.

The other side of the coin is that Gundam Breaker shouldn't need to prove itself to justify another game financially, because the franchise was doing extremely well until they hosed it up themselves with some brain-shatteringly dumb decisions. GB1, GB2, and GB3 were a story of nonstop growth. GB1 was a budget game made on some change they fished out of a couch and sold enough to warrant GB2 having a much bigger investment put into it, which in turn sold well enough that GB3 was even bigger and even got an Asian english release. Then for NGB they suddenly swapped dev studios and completely hosed up the formula they had spent 3 games iterating on and decided to focus on competitive online PvP(?????????) and surprise everyone in the world loving hated it. NGB was so god drat bad that it caused a flood of people to go to Amazon and temporarily sell Amazon out of Gundam Breaker 3 two years after its release because people wanted that kind of game.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RillAkBea posted:

So, bad news kids, Crossbone no longer canon. :smith:

I wasn't aware it ever was. Sunrise staff have talked about how they only view animated entries as canon, and while that's not official or anything, since it was just a few writers and producers chatting in interview, it is the simplest method to go with at the very least. No animated entry has ever taken place in late UC after Crossbone was created either way though (at least, not within the UC calendar), so whether it's canon is kind of moot, because no entry has taken place at a point where it'd need to decide whether or not to acknowledge it's presence. I don't even think any manga, game, novel etc. has ever gone in to that period besides Crossbone itself and Gaia Gear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

They've got F90 on there despite only some PB releases, and V Gundam despite only PB releases... and nothing in between. There have been both general and PB only releases for Crossbone recently and yet it's nowhere to be seen. So, bad news kids, Crossbone no longer canon. :smith:

Sunrise never had a "canon". It has animated and non-animated.

Canon is a lie anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Canon is just a list of the works you're cognizant of when creating new works. Either stuff you're building off of, or stuff you're building towards. You pretty much have to have a canon in some form for any kind of franchise media, even if there's only one other work. Unless you're just going to throw your setting, plot, characters and every other established thing out the window in every new work, you have a canon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Canon is just a list of the works you're cognizant of when creating new works. Either stuff you're building off of, or stuff you're building towards. You pretty much have to have a canon in some form for any kind of franchise media, even if there's only one other work. Unless you're just going to throw your setting, plot, characters and every other established thing out the window in every new work, you have a canon.

That doesn't mean canon can't change on a whim though.

Hell, look at the Halloween franchise, which had sequels, sequels that ignore other sequels but acknowledged others, and most recently a sequel which ignored every other sequel but the first one. There's no such thing as immutable canon and so the concept is essentially unimportant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not even religious canon is immutable either tbh

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wasn't aware that I'd said that it was either immutable or important. Having a canon is useful, if for no other reason than that it gives varied creators a consistent road-map of what they should be paying attention to if you care about consistency (and some franchises do), but it's not all important or anything. I wish more companies felt comfortable with the concept of just not caring about canon or using both canon and non-canon consciously, because just looking at comics, the Elseworlds type stuff has some really fun concepts and has resulted in some great stories over the years. Whether they're canon or not is completely unimportant to whether they're good, but way too many fans get caught up in thinking "canon" is equivalent to "real".

Which cuts both ways, and results in some people denying the entire concept of canon or the weird argument I've seen online occasionally that "Japanese people don't care about canon"; an assertion that is demonstrably untrue. There are reams of databooks for franchises like Gundam, Macross etc. stretching back 40+ years and which consist of nothing but attempts to fill in the backstory for and bridge the gap between various entries in those franchises. Some of which started as fanzines and eventually resulted in those fans being paid to do that as a job. Shoji Kawamori being a good example, since he started creating stuff for a Gundam fanzine and was then hired to do that in an official capacity, contributing to some of the earliest Gundam databooks before transitioning to working directly on the franchise in Gundam 0083. A work specifically trying to bridge 0079 and Zeta, much as I don't think those works need bridging in the first place and which ends with attempts to ensure that nothing in the show contradicts the chronologically successive show.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 3, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like you could do the "wow cool robot" meme but with canon or continuity replacing the Gundam tbh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

A special ocd that doesn’t allow you to post less than 5000 words at a time

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Canon is just bad in general.

It's not another universe that you get a glimpse through. It's a fictitious story.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Raxivace posted:

I feel like you could do the "wow cool robot" meme but with canon or continuity replacing the Gundam tbh.

do it but with the gun...canon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canon is just bad in general.

It's not another universe that you get a glimpse through. It's a fictitious story.

:yeah:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Canon is a tool - it's how you curate your franchise's content and decide what stuff you want to develop and promote in future stories. It has no inherent quality, good or bad, except that it's quite useful for big, sprawling franchises as a way to keep a sense of consistency and direction to what can be dozens upon dozens of individual artistic works.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It’s there to answer the question “hey, I’m gonna watch Char’s Counterattack. What do I need to watch first?”

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

seems to be a trend lately

rip srw b-teams, constantly sent off to Gacha Hell just as they find their stride

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

It’s there to answer the question “hey, I’m gonna watch Char’s Counterattack. What do I need to watch first?”

I mean you can watch the MSG and Zeta trilogy movies if you want a super condensed run up but otherwise it doesn't matter match imo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh goddamn it. This is what I get for popping in during a break from writing up a court report.

I got an SD Nu Gundam kit for my desk, so I can work on it during lunch breaks. It's relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I wasn't aware it ever was. Sunrise staff have talked about how they only view animated entries as canon, and while that's not official or anything, since it was just a few writers and producers chatting in interview, it is the simplest method to go with at the very least. No animated entry has ever taken place in late UC after Crossbone was created either way though (at least, not within the UC calendar), so whether it's canon is kind of moot, because no entry has taken place at a point where it'd need to decide whether or not to acknowledge it's presence. I don't even think any manga, game, novel etc. has ever gone in to that period besides Crossbone itself and Gaia Gear.

Well, there's always G-Savior.