Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can we get a cat to stop scratching the carpet? There are several other options (scratching posts, horizontal scratchers, cat tree), but when we try to encourage him to use one of those, he doesn't like it. Perhaps we're encouraging wrong? Or what else can we try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Beo posted:

Anyone have any insight into the self scooping boxes I am thinking about getting one when I move into my new house. I already have a timed feeder and a water fountain I figure the next step is automatic scoops.

FuzzySlippers posted:

There are basically 3 types of auto cleaning litter boxes and we've owned them all.

Cat Genie

We've had it for 4-ish years I think and it's been pretty great. Only maintenance has been cleaning the water sensor a few times. It requires absolutely no daily/weekly/monthly upkeep. One of our cats doesn't use it because I think they got scared of the water/noise, but the other 2 use it and one of those pretty much only uses that box. I would only recommend it if you can put it in a laundry room. It needs a water hookup and most of the horror stories you can find online are about hooking it up to a toilet. Doing so is not very stable and bound to fail. When it does you risk a kitty toilet flood. So a lot of houses just aren't going to have a good spot for it and I wouldn't fight against that.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Litter Robot but you do have to buy the sani solutions cartridges from them. No joke: they have drm in them and nothing else works. You only have to buy them every couple months so it isn't a big deal to me for a litter box you can completely forget about. I know this will bug some people though.

Litter Robot

We bought one in Nov and just bought our second a few weeks ago. They are very expensive and kinda dumb. It's a big litter box that rotates completely vertical to sift. I feel like there's a more clever solution here, but it does work. Since it uses normal litter I think most cats will use it eventually but our old cat has always preferred her cat genie. It takes up a lot of room, but you can place it basically anywhere unlike the Cat Genie.

The litter trap is small enough that with mostly 2 cats using it I have to take it out a bit less than once a week. Unfortunately it often stops sifting and claims to be full long before it actually is so sometimes I have to empty it more frequently.

Still, it's a lazy solution that allowed us to get better coverage for a 3 cat household so that's why we bought another. If you've got the cash and the space for it I think it's a pretty low risk purchase.

Pet Safe / other raking boxes

There are a bunch automatic litter boxes that use a rake to sweep the box whenever the cat leaves. Do not buy. We used one for about a month and it was awful. We knew we needed another box besides the Cat Genie for the kitties and I was reluctant to drop $500 on the robot. It was quickly dubbed 'the poo poo box' because the rake continuously smeared poo poo all over itself and stayed filthy no matter how we cleaned or adjusted it. The crystals also barely help with the smell and don't clump which makes emptying completely awful. This isn't like when you have nicely clumped litter box you need to clean out and dealing with cat poo poo is a little abstracted. The rake just shoves all the cat poo poo into a cat poo poo compartment that is 100% nothing but cat poo poo.

So you need to empty a giant pan of crystals and cat poo poo into a garbage sack once a week or more and it's terrible. When I was doing so one week I hadn't noticed Boo had been playing with the garbage sack and so when I dumped in the crystals they broke the bag went onto the floor. When I finished cleaning that hellscape up the box went into the garbage and I ordered a Litter Robot.

edit: Though the kitties did love the poo poo box. When it was around they wouldn't use any other box (normal or cat genie). We both despaired watching the kitties walk right by other boxes to go dirty up the poo poo box knowing we'd have to clean it sooner.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Beo posted:

Anyone have any insight into the self scooping boxes I am thinking about getting one when I move into my new house. I already have a timed feeder and a water fountain I figure the next step is automatic scoops.

The Fuzzy Slippers post above is useful. I had the kind that use a rake, and Fuzzy's comments are on target. I ended up giving mine away.

I haven't purchased either the Cat Genie or Litter Robot, mostly because I have a big cat. The business area of those pans is way too small for him to use without overshooting or hanging over the edge.

From what I've read, success with these systems is highly dependent on the particular cat and the particular household. You're probably already doing this, so I'll just confirm that it's likely to be really useful to keep reading and look at a bunch of independent reviews on all of these systems before putting money into one.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hello, Penis Land, I have a cat problem.

Please let me tell you the story of my insane cat adoption journey first:

We decided to adopt two kittens in March. I checked out all the cat rescues I could find in my general area and finally decided on a foundation with a strong track record and social media presence, my rationale being that anything that public must be solid, right?

Yikes.

I will give them that everyone there loves cats and knows a lot about them. I will give them that.

So, I filled out a five-page application in Catalan and heard nothing for a week. I followed up and they immediately responded, saying that we were in the "top three" families to adopt one particular kitten, but that they had gone with another couple because the wife didn't work and could be home with the cat all the time. Okay, fine. In the same email, they offered another kitten to me, with the caveat that they would also like me to adopt one of their adult cats. They told me they wanted to ask me about this because, according to my application, I'm used to "difficult" cats, and because she had been a good mother to her own kittens and therefore would do well with a new kitten. Our last cat had anxiety problems and frequent panic attacks when we first adopted her, so I thought I could handle basically everything. (Both of my "problem" cats turned into lovebugs and one lived to be 22- the other is still alive, but because of her anxiety issues, I didn't bring her with me when we moved abroad.) When I questioned the wisdom behind taking a very frightened and nervous cat, who had been abused, and then giving her an energetic baby who would likely bother her, I was told "no pasa nada, everything will be perfect, my cat did this and now they're best friends," blah blah blah. I said "okay."

So, we adopted this monster truck of a scaredy-cat, Luna, with the proviso that the kitten would come a week later. She did! They dropped her off, checked all the food, poop, and play spaces, and said that everything looked good and that we knew what we were doing. The kitten is named Aleta and we were best friends from the moment she first crawled into my lap. She was 3 months and 8 weeks when we adopted her.

The moment the cat people went home- literally, the moment my front door closed after they left- I got FIFTEEN WHATSAPPS IN FIVE MINUTES from some chick, Luisa, who I'd never heard of. She insisted I send pictures of the food, litter boxes, etc., then told me I MUST send her pictures of Aleta's poop. Uh, okay, I did it. I, too, have OCD. She then asked for pictures of completely random things, like the toilet (probably to check the lid was closed), the entryway to the house (which the cats cannot access), etc. Then she wanted pictures of our apartment door? and the building? I was like, what. But I did it. I even threw in a free picture of the library next door and wrote, 'See, she can get books anytime she wants!" which Luisa did not find funny.

Luisa continued to message me constantly for the next two days, finally insisting that she return for an inspection on a workday evening. I had no idea if this was weird or not for my current country of residence, so I said okay. She had already told me everything I was doing was good- I bought the food she told me to buy, I bought the toys and equipment she told me to buy. I did literally everything with a smile.

So, Luisa shows up, and immediately freaks me the gently caress out. I just had a creepy vibe from her. I took her to see Aleta, who immediately ran up to me and started purring. I explained what toys she liked, how we usually play, what her schedule is, etc.

Luisa conferred with her coworker for a moment (I do speak decent Spanish; she refused to speak Spanish with me and apparently assumed I couldn't understand a word. This is important because Luisa does not speak English and wouldn't even text me in Spanish. I'm not fluent, but I can certainly hold a conversation about most things, and of course I knew the words for cat-related stuff because HELLO I NEED TO KNOW.) But they jabbered away, and while I did try to politely turn off my ears, I did notice Luisa asked "qué digo?" a lot.

So, she turns to me and says, "We are going to take her back for a week."
what
"We think she is too young"
then why is she here
"It was a mistake."
but
"She should not be alone."
but you made me get this other cat to take care of her
"She should be with her mother."
but she's over fifteen weeks, and we adopted her and not her sister because we were told she was very independent--

Nothing doing, they took her. They swore to bring her back the next week.

Well, they stopped megatexting me. "Hi, it's Fleta, how is Aleta? Do you think she'll come home next week?" "Hi, it's me again, could you tell me how Aleta's doing?" "Is she still constripated? What did the vet say?"Nothing.

The coming home date kept changing for all of the following reasons:
1. She's too small. (for what?)
2. She not strong enough. (for...what?!)
3. She needs her mother (for. what.)
4. She's constipated and might die

Obviously, I got scared at the last one! They told me I fed her the wrong food; I reminded them they had photographic proof that I bought and served only the food they either gave me or insisted I buy. (Royal Canin, for the record.) So they ended up keeping her two more weeks. My asking them about her welfare was rarely given a response. Meanwhile, they did not give a flying poo poo about poor Luna, who is a goddamned loving mess emotionally and screamed for TWO DAYS after Aleta was taken.

The whole issue culminated in me stating that I felt worried because they kept changing their story, and angry because they did not care about Luna and how she was adjusting. I was then told that they were happy to take Luna back. After that, I let my husband take over, because I was literally loving dying. I felt like a cat abuser. I would wake up in the night in a fit of anxiety and obsessively check all of Luna's food, water, etc. because I was now so paranoid that I was a horrible animal abuser and that Aleta would never come back.

Finally, almost a month after she had come to our house, I was allowed to pick her up. She's loving fine, by the goddamn way. Squeals like a pig if I'm not in her line of sight. Sleeps on my pillow. Perfect baby.

So, please understand why I am so loving angry to discover that Luna has goddamn tapeworms.

"We totally wormed her" YOU DID NOT, I HAVE HAD HER SINCE THE END OF MAY AND SHE IS AN INDOOR CAT IN A SPANKING NEW APARTMENT. Bullshit. Bullshit. There are no goddamn fleas in my house, you goddamn shitbags.

I'm sorry, I am having a horrible day on top of finding out poor Luna is sick.

Okay, so my actual question is: since Luna actually HATES the kitten and hisses at her every time she sees her, how can I better socialize them*, and how much of her angst is due to being ill from tapeworm? Also, what is the statute of limitation on murder in Catalunya?

* I tried everything on this list and also using my teacher voice.

edit: pictured- Aleta from last week, still not dead

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 2, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:catstare:

Christ I just went to the local shelter, filled out a form, gave them $60, and they let me walk out with a cat, after which I never heard from them again. Not sure I could have put up with any of the weird Cat Nanny State poo poo.

As for trying to socialize your cats, this post from the OP is a good start:

Eggplant Wizzard posted:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

When you bring a new cat into your household, both it and your other cats will probably be upset. You would be too if someone thrust a roommate on you. You can minimize the stress by making the introduction gradually.

Stage 0: Acceptance of terms
There will be lots of hissing. This does not mean you are doomed.

Stage 1: Seclusion
Keep the new cat separate from the other cat(s). Make sure it has all the necessities- food, water, litter, attention. Choose somewhere you can hang out with new cat and get to know it, but not your other cat's favorite hangout, either. The cats will all know the others are there, but this stage allows them to get comfortable with there being other scents around. Try switching out each cat's bedding so they can sniff at it. You might also try giving them their meals on either side of a closed door, so they associate food with the new cat's smell. You can switch the cats out to explore each other's areas and get used to scents & places that way, too.

This stage can last a couple of hours to a week or so. You will have to use your judgment on when to advance. If both cats seem comfortable and curious, rather than totally anxious, continue on.

Stage 2: Supervised introductions
Pretty much what it says. Let the cats meet. There will almost certainly be hissing and maybe even some swatting. It's okay to laugh when their tails puff up. You can let these introductions last as long as you like, depending on how the cats interact. The rule of thumb is not to separate them unless (a) you can't be present to supervise anymore or (b) violence erupts.

Violence is not swatting and hissing and puffing up, or even growling and yowling, necessarily. If blood is drawn or the yowls seem to indicate pain rather than aggression, then it's absolutely time to separate them and return to stage 1 for a while.

This stage might last as little as one or two meetings, or it could go on for weeks. If it drags beyond a week please ask and see if we can make some suggestions to make things go more smoothly.

Stage 3: Kitten piles
As the introductions go better and last longer without incident, you will feel comfortable leaving the cats alone, and from there they'll probably soon reach a level of toleration, if not immediate kitten piles. Kitten piles may never happen, honestly, and that's not your fault. If they do, great!

tl;dr - Get them used to one another's smell by swapping bedding/litter boxes/etc while keeping them separate, then start trying to put them in a room together and let them hiss/swat at one another as much as they want unless blood is drawn. They may never reach a point where they like one another, but they should at least eventually reach an understanding and tolerate one another.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Get them used to one another's smell by swapping bedding/litter boxes/etc while keeping them separate, then start trying to put them in a room together and let them hiss/swat at one another as much as they want unless blood is drawn. They may never reach a point where they like one another, but they should at least eventually reach an understanding and tolerate one another.

This is the stage we're at, but because everything's covered in tapeworm segments, I want to wash everything. Since Aleta's already had digestive issues, I don't want to invite more, and they do sleep/relax on the same cushions/rugs.

I worry about Aleta getting hurt because Luna is seriously ginormous. Definitely part Maine Coon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sydin posted:

:catstare:

Christ I just went to the local shelter, filled out a form, gave them $60, and they let me walk out with a cat, after which I never heard from them again. Not sure I could have put up with any of the weird Cat Nanny State poo poo.

Yeah, like, the rescue we adopted Sweetheart from, I get like a "every few weeks/couple of months" call from the lady who was fostering her, but that was more to make sure she was adjusting okay in the beginning, and now just to keep up with any changes. She's a nice old lady, so I don't even mind talking to her on the phone, and she's been very happy to hear all the positive goings-on with Sweetheart. :3:

I've definitely heard of horror stories like Fleta has described, though.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

hooah posted:

How can we get a cat to stop scratching the carpet? There are several other options (scratching posts, horizontal scratchers, cat tree), but when we try to encourage him to use one of those, he doesn't like it. Perhaps we're encouraging wrong? Or what else can we try?
Possible solutions:
  • More scratchers (assuming you haven't yet found his One True Love for scratching, try taller/longer scratchers of various materials)
  • Barriers over the preferred carpet spots (think sacrificial rugs/throw pillows)
  • Trim his claws once every 1-2 weeks so even if he keeps scratching at the carpet, it isn't as damaging

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Okay, so my actual question is: since Luna actually HATES the kitten and hisses at her every time she sees her, how can I better socialize them*, and how much of her angst is due to being ill from tapeworm? Also, what is the statute of limitation on murder in Catalunya?
I just have to say this post is hilarious and I love your willingness to put up with all that.

The shelter probably did de-worm the cats -- for roundworms. Preventative tapeworm treatments aren't routinely done at shelters. Which is fine since common flea-sourced tapeworms aren't transmitted between cats. They require a flea host. Don't kill yourself trying to sanitize everything.

You already know the tricks for socializing cats, but I doubt Luna's behavior is due to the tapeworm. Tapeworms aren't known to cause noticeable discomfort to most cats. You might just be stuck with an old lady cat who doesn't want to tolerate any poo poo from the kitten. Just try to make their time together as pleasant and also as voluntary as possible.

You probably already know this, but register both of them under your name with whichever local government office handles pet registrations. That way, if the crazy lady comes back, they're legally registered as your property.

[ Edit: Since Aleta is having digestive issues, maybe talk to your vet about testing a stool sample for parasites if you haven't already. It might just be the angle of the photo but I'm a little suspicious she has a potbelly, which could indicate a parasitic infection from something other than a tapeworm. ]

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 2, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
God damnit, I think I have another cat with problems.

Salem has a very tender spot around his back leg and underneath his belly towards his backside that he won't let me touch without swatting or biting. And I don't want to take him to the vet because he is a hellion at the vet.

But I mean, he's also not limping or anything, and seems like a normal cat otherwise. Maybe just overstimulated in that spot?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 3, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that may just be an overstimulation thing or an uncomfortable place for him to be petted. Most cats have somewhere they don't enjoy being petted; if it doesn't look actively red/swollen/etc. and he's okay otherwise, I'd probably just keep an eye on it and/or ask the vet at the next checkup.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My 6 year old cat who (appears to be) in great health brought a fresh turd downstairs from one of the litterboxes yesterday. She often brings toys from upstairs down so she can play with them.

She shares the house with my wife and I, and another cat, a 1 year old female. They both get along very well now, no issues.

There are 4 litterboxes throughout the house, all checked and cleaned daily if necessary. Why the hell would she just bring a big rear end turd down the stairs in her mouth out of nowhere? They have all kinds of toys to play with, cat trees, tunnels, etc.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Did she actually bring it down and play with it?

Or could it just be a clinger that she removed or it came off downstairs?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
She brought it down in her drat mouth and threw it on the tile floor in the kitchen like she does all the other toys she brings down. She didn't play with it at all. My first thought was that she is furious with us for not letting her go outside and run around in the yard. She will furiously paw at the patio door glass for like 15 minutes at a time with both paws, which at first was funny but now it seems very sad.

Before we adopted her she was an outdoor cat for 4 years on a farm in British Columbia (and had 2 litters of kittens), and sometimes she sneaks out past our legs and runs into the yard and just darts about chewing on grass. I'd rather she stay in the house in case an eagle or hawk or whatever takes a chance at her (we live out in the country) as they are always circling.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 4, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat wants pets but instead of sitting still for them she's gotta cat. Walking in circles, moving out of reach, moving back in reach and then suddenly she's don't with pets and walks away.

Jerk

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Len posted:

Cat wants pets but instead of sitting still for them she's gotta cat. Walking in circles, moving out of reach, moving back in reach and then suddenly she's don't with pets and walks away.

Jerk

One of my cats was like that. For him, I finally realized that he wanted the pets but that hands coming down from above scared him. Once I figured out to get in front of him or to his side and approach him at his level, the pets happened.

He was an adult stray when I adopted him, so who knows why he reacted that way (although one can maybe make a guess).

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats is weird like that and it seems to be that she wants pets and wants attention. Just not in the room where I might be sitting.

She wants them on the lawn outside. I guess the lawn is more comfortable than the sofa or a chair to fop onto?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bean also does that thing we she looks at you, meows, flops down onto her back and shows her belly, continues to meow. But got forbid you pet her with your hand and not your eyes. If you touch her she gets up and storms away before glaring at you from the other side of the room.

Cats gotta cat

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sleek passed away on 7/2.
He seemed to be doing better after the transfusion, but that afternoon he started struggling to breathe and he hadn't been pooping.
We were enroute to the animal hospital when he passed.

My partner and I are buddhist, so we brought him home and said the prayers and set him up in front of her alter in the shrine room
https://i.imgur.com/35mK8Ei.jpg
Linked for sadness
Fyodor got to come into the room and say his goodbyes, although looking back on it he may have known about it before we did.
We took him to be creamated Wednesday. Next week we'll go and pick up the ashes.

Fyodor and E.T. are doing ok with his new absence.
It's going to take awhile for all of us to adjust to him not being here.

Anyways thanks for listening to my story.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh no. I've been thinking about your little kitty and almost wanted to ask how he was doing.

So sorry to hear about that. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Sorry for your loss

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
So sorry. My condolences. Petting ours extra hard today.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm so sorry as well... The pics you posted of Sleek and Fyodor were always so nice. There's something incredibly sweet about truly bonded pairs - two cats who don't just like each other, but are practically attached at the hip. I always found that to be so sweet, even if your cats only cuddled sometimes.. I hope Fyodor is alright.

I actually think you did a really, really wonderful thing by allowing Fyodor to actually see Sleek's body and understand that he's dead. There were some posts from a few days ago in the thread - someone had lost a cat, and it seems that the other cat who was with them all the time basically just saw their best friend being put into a cat carrier and taken away - ultimately never to return. If I recall, this goon said their cat had for days or even weeks I think been going from room to room and calling out, and seemingly waiting still weeks later for the other cat to return. It does make sense to me... communicate via body language and smells, the latter especially. It feels like it should be standard for bonded pairs to see and 'say goodbye' if their best buddy dies..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well. I'd go hug my kitties but when I try I lose blood.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One of my cats (i think? never caught them, could be multiple) every so often pees underneath/near a window where they can sit and watch a strange cat on the outside that sits and looks back at them and they have some kinda epic stare battle.
Does it seem likely to you guys that it's peeing near where it sees the unknown cat to mark or something? Trying to troubleshoot why they pee there, cause if it's the enemy cat i can just block access to where they sit and scowl at it.

They are spayed/neutered 3.5 year old "indoor" cats with free reign of a huge fenced yard, have ample toilet opportunities and were at the vet last week for checkup/re-vaccination where everything was totally fine.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cat pee problems can be very serious, and definitely take them to the vet if even slightly in doubt, but that does sound like they're stress/territory marking in response to an Enemy Cat. I'd block their view and clean the area with enzymatic cleaner to kill the scent mark, then keep watch to see if it or other similar things keep happening.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I will do just that then.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you don't let your cat outside, there's cat repellents (which I'm told aren't harmful, check the label) that you can spray where you want to keep other cats away from. Might help keep the intruder away from the window.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks guys
It's hard but it'll be ok
Buddhism says "death is a lie"

They made a great power trio

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My oldest cat Leela has been really skittish lately and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm going to be calling the vet Monday, but she just bit my girlfriend on the leg because she jumped to pick up a bottle of paint that fell on the floor before any paint got out. She's done this a lot in the past, I've posted about her before, but basically any sudden movements or loud noises sets her off and she goes into poofy mode. She'll hiss and stalk the nearest human and if we're not paying attention she usually bites. She proofed at me earlier this week because I jumped out of bed to pick something up that fell off the nightstand, if I wasn't facing her (and had a squirt bottle in reaching distance) I probably would have gotten chomped too. We generally try to not be super loud around her and are aware of her tendencies but when it happens it's completely by accident or us reacting to something.

We adopted her from a coworker of mine who got her and she didn't get along with her dogs, but I know she has a scumbag husband and don't rule out physical abuse before we got her. We have a feliway (although we need to get a refill and put a second one in the bedroom) but I guess the next step is straight up medication? I love this cat and don't want to think about having to get rid of her, but stuff like this really frustrates both. My GF has multiple sclerosis and as a result we really need to be careful with infections due to these bites so we end up tip toeing around her a lot of the time. Ugh, it just sucks. :smith:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
The vet sounds like the right next step. Fear/startle aggression is really hard to deal with in an adult cat. Since it sounds like she's on a hair trigger right now, it might be worth isolating her to one room or even a crate until the vet visit so that she can ramp down (and so that you can relax without fear too).

You are right to be cautious/worried about getting bit; I almost lost my hands a few years ago after a rescue went wrong. Good luck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How foolish of me to assume my Binx is snuggling more at night because he loves me.

No, it’s because I accidentally shut the door between him and his evening wet food meal.

He had access to dry food, so he wouldn’t have starved. But that’s not good enough I suppose.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my cats tried to follow me to the shops yesterday.

Hera is a fifteen month old black medium furred cat who LOVES the outdoors, she basically only comes inside to demand food or to squeak at me and receive a head rub then try to lure me out into the garden. So of course when I opened the front door she was out in a blur before then rolling around on the driveway, then, after a tummy rub, she seemed curious at to where I was going.

I live on a pretty quiet road so she followed me for something like ten or twelve houses before a passing car spooked her, of course this took a while because she had to wander into each front garden and sniff things on the way. I am pretty sure that is the furthest she has ever been from home but every time I started walking again she would trot along in my wake with her fluffy tail in the air.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tater is just too stupid to eat. We have tried multiple brands and textures and he continues to eat what I assume is the minimum amount to remain alive. I've never seen a less food-motivated animal and I'm tired of wasting food.

He's a healthy weight and the vet couldn't find any problems so maybe he just has a tiny stomach. Meanwhile I'm hoping he's getting enough nutrients/taurine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hasn't it been shown that eating minimal calories leads to extended lifetimes? Maybe Tater is on top of the latest research.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/do-low-calorie-diets-help-you-live-longer

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Well he has no problem eating treats so I think he's just a dingus.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If he knows he'll get treats, he might just be holding out for them.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I have the opposite issue, Katya is so food-motivated she learned how to open the cupboard where we keep her dry food. She hasn't figured out the plastic container yet, but after doors, screens, and cabinets, it can only be a matter of time.
Also, when we got her I bought a few sampler boxes of wet food to go with the dry and there's nothing she won't eat. Guess I'll just have to pick one when we run out?

She's learned how to make noise tho:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1148126259932778497

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I guess. Dude will have three bites of food all day but go bananas if he hears the drawer where the treats are kept.

I think he forgets where is food is sometimes. We have a microchip feeder because our other cat is highly food motivated and will happily eat his lunch if it's not protected. Sometimes if we plop him in front of it he'll be like "oh right, food" and start munching away.

Before we got the second cat he ate from an open plate and would still eat just as little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Followup report on bitey cat: the vet suggested some kitty prozac so we're going with that. I'm hoping this helps! We also went from 1 Feliway to 3, one for each third of our apartment. She better be calm now :argh:

zakharov posted:

Tater is just too stupid to eat. We have tried multiple brands and textures and he continues to eat what I assume is the minimum amount to remain alive. I've never seen a less food-motivated animal and I'm tired of wasting food.

He's a healthy weight and the vet couldn't find any problems so maybe he just has a tiny stomach. Meanwhile I'm hoping he's getting enough nutrients/taurine.

My other cat Finn just doesn't dig on wet food as much as Leela. She'll meow for an hour before feeding time incessantly and wolf down her food in no time but I have to coax Finn into the kitchen so he can eat some of it before Leela's done because she'll eat his food too.. I usually sprinkle some dry food in with the wet stuff to get him to eat it and that works well enough but it still sucks.