Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Conversely, when I came home from a year in Egypt, I was completely clean shaven and wearing a clean collared shirt, yet I still got pulled out of line and asked a bunch of questions about what I was doing there, whether I had met any terrorists, and whether anyone had talked to me about joining al-Qaeda.

I’ve since leaned that DHS is convinced that self-radicalized Westerners will shave their beards and dress normally when they come back to the US so that they don’t look like they crawled out of some cage or something.

That's literally been found in ISIS and other terrorist training documents that have been disseminated online.

Not that airport security is anything but security theater for the ignorant masses, but shaving their beards is literally a thing that they instruct all would be terrorists to do, even non Westerners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bored As gently caress posted:

That's literally been found in ISIS and other terrorist training documents that have been disseminated online.

Not that airport security is anything but security theater for the ignorant masses, but shaving their beards is literally a thing that they instruct all would be terrorists to do, even non Westerners.

You know who else shaves their faces? People who are not in ISIS and just like going on a trip clean-shaven. Meanwhile I imagine ISIS updated their manuals to say "shave a few days before leaving".

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know who else shaves their faces? People who are not in ISIS and just like going on a trip clean-shaven. Meanwhile I imagine ISIS updated their manuals to say "shave a few days before leaving".

Oh, no doubt. Just saying that it was based on actual open source intel poo poo.

Doesn't mean poo poo though since it's all security theater. TSA misses 95% of all weapone during audits/red teaming, and half the poo poo they miss is guns, knives, or inert/fake explosives.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Full beard: obviously could be a terrorist, sideline for further search.

Clean shaven: terrorist in disguise, sideline for further search.

3 day growth: smart-rear end trying to toe the line, sideline for rectal search.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Full beard: obviously could be a terrorist, sideline for further search.

Clean shaven: terrorist in disguise, sideline for further search.

3 day growth: smart-rear end trying to toe the line, sideline for rectal search.

Clean shaven blonde w/crew cut and blue eyes: ISIS sleeper agent, detain until further notice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BigDave posted:

Clean shaven blonde w/crew cut and blue eyes: ISIS sleeper agent, detain until further notice.

Nah that’s an ally.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have a whole bunch of medical devices all up in my undercarriage and down my right leg so I never cease to get the pat down and extra attention but I also try to make it as miserable for them as possible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

in my experience the easiest low-risk way to bother patters-down is to truthfully tell them you are not wearing underwear

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I once got to waste a bunch of TSA dudes' time by forgetting I had some sliced salami in my travel bag. It showed up as unidentifiable matter on the X-rays so they pulled me aside and were baffled until I remembered what it was. They took the whole thing in surprisingly good humor, but then again I was a 6-foot white guy in a business suit and tie so they probably thought I was Someone In Authority.

Actually, being a white dude in a suit and tie at an airport is a wonderful lifehack because everyone mistakes you for someone who might somehow be able to screw them over, so you get slightly better service.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Doc Hawkins posted:

in my experience the easiest low-risk way to bother patters-down is to truthfully tell them you are not wearing underwear

Oh that? That's just my steel cock ring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Hawkins posted:

my kinda ape posted:

Oh that? That's just my steel cock ring.

They don't care. They will rub you all over whether you want them to or not. I was told it was either that or I didn't clear security to get on my flight the last time I flew.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I once got to waste a bunch of TSA dudes' time by forgetting I had some sliced salami in my travel bag. It showed up as unidentifiable matter on the X-rays so they pulled me aside and were baffled until I remembered what it was. They took the whole thing in surprisingly good humor, but then again I was a 6-foot white guy in a business suit and tie so they probably thought I was Someone In Authority.

Actually, being a white dude in a suit and tie at an airport is a wonderful lifehack because everyone mistakes you for someone who might somehow be able to screw them over, so you get slightly better service.

If you want security staff to not give a single gently caress about you, fly through Perth airport before 7:00am wearing high-vis and steelcap boots. You'll blend in with the other seventeen hundred dudes that look exactly the same.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

They don't care. They will rub you all over whether you want them to or not. I was told it was either that or I didn't clear security to get on my flight the last time I flew.

i didn't say it would stop them but the guy i (inadvertently) put through that experience seemed to enjoy it less than usual

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just stare at them with an enthused grin and say "Yes, pat me down please. It's my fetish."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Coming home on midtour, I had a can of raviolis in my bag- I've been in the Army enough to know that they will gently caress up your travel, and leave you without poo poo. It gets picked up by the scanner. I explain, they say I can't touch my bag. "You can throw them away. That's fine."
"I can't touch your bag, Sir."
This discussion went on for about a minute or two before I told him, "I'm taking my bag and leaving to catch my flight. You can't stop me, and I don't see anyone around who can. One of us needs to throw it away."

I lost my raviolis that day. That was also the day I decided that I am going to make them touch my balls every time I fly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I went to this fancy meeting in NYC a few years ago, and dressed in a suit and tie. All the service people I met were obscenely polite and obsequious, it was frankly kind of offputting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, I'm never pushy or anything because I'm one of the least-confrontational people in the world but airports are a place where everyone is trying to screw or gouge you even when they're actually nice people because that's corporate policy so I don't feel guilty about taking minor countermeasures.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
For years I envisioned my getting out and even after I re-enlisted on like the last possible day within 2 weeks of getting out (did get a 20k signing bonus) I always knew I would play one lovely punk rock song I heard on a Tony Hawk sound track when I was a stupid kid. I loving swear though if I didn’t blast out of those gates blasting Seneca Falls by The Distillers singing along as I sped the gently caress down the newly filled warehouse backroads of Vegas.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I can't recommend Swiss airports. We flew out of Geneva last weekend and as it was 4am there was nobody else around the checkout, so instead of wandering round 500m of winding queues I ducked under a single plastic barrier as a shortcut. I was immediately accosted by a floor walker and was told in no uncertain terms that I had to walk to the start of the queue and do the whole circuit again if I wanted to be checked in. I had basically been awake for days so was incredibly tempted to kick off but you don't gently caress with airport staff if you want to make your flight.

An unbelievably beautiful country but sadly full of the loving Swiss; our transfer driver shamelessly dropped rancid cheese guffs all the way to Montreux too, although at least had the good grace to look embarrassed when someone finally broke and begged him to open a window.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 2, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, that's the Swiss alright.

I work for a biotech company owned by a Swiss group. We do a ton of GxP validated work to comply with regulations. The Americans are cool with it and I'm like "20 pages of initials for every checkbox to set up a PC in Manufacturing, whatever". The Swiss on the other hand, live and breathe The Process.

If their Army ever implements a reporting standard for being rendered combat-ineffective they will be immortal.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's the Swiss alright.

I work for a biotech company owned by a Swiss group. We do a ton of GxP validated work to comply with regulations. The Americans are cool with it and I'm like "20 pages of initials for every checkbox to set up a PC in Manufacturing, whatever". The Swiss on the other hand, live and breathe The Process.

If their Army ever implements a reporting standard for being rendered combat-ineffective they will be immortal.

If we're talking about the same company pRED is pretty relaxed with me :v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have a friend working in Geneva right now. He says german switzerland is cool but the french swiss are assholes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well of course the GERMAN swiss would say that about french swiss.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Zürich is cool, albeit crazy expensive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CainFortea posted:

Well of course the GERMAN swiss would say that about french swiss.

He’s second generation American (but his family is Argentinian German, soooooo)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I do this whenever I can while travelling, especially bouncing around Europe. Everyone just assumes you're important and treats you better. Of course there's like a 1 in 5 chance it backfires and you get mugged or kidnapped because someone assumes you have money, but hey, you roll the dice.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Best airport I've ever visited was Siam Reap International. We hosed up filing for our visas, so instead of doing the administrative rigmarole at the airport, we paid 70 bucks to the nice security guard and he sped us right through without even checking our bags. Probably over-paid him, but given that the cost of the visas was 30 bucks per person and there were 3 of us, it was still money well spent.

e: There was a special security line that said "Monks only". I couldn't believe it until I saw a bunch of Buddhist monks go zooming through. They had to take off their sandals for xrays (????), but that was it.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 2, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vengarr posted:

e: There was a special security line that said "Monks only". I couldn't believe it until I saw a bunch of Buddhist monks go zooming through. They had to take off their sandals for xrays (????), but that was it.

If you can't trust the monks, who can you trust?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Worst airport experience was flying out of Frankfurt a couple years ago. I got there a little early planning on getting through security and having a few beers before I got to my gate. Turns out, there weren’t any bars beyond the initial security gate. Then I got tagged for an additional security check going into the gate, where I was told I would need to go through that security check again if I left the gate area. No big deal, until the coffee I drank caught up to me and I realized that there were no bathrooms in the gate area. Having to go through extra security every time I needed to piss was worse than any TSA experience I’ve ever had.

The only fun part of that trip was when we were boarding the plane, the attendant made the courtesy “All active duty military can board first” announcement. The look of disgust and annoyance on the faces of the dozen or so people waiting in the premium fancy-pants exclusive line as a hundred people stood up and crowded their plane before they could board made the extra security checks worth it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I went through Nuremberg airport in 83 at the height of the "Evil Empire " days. You not only went through metal detectors, you stuff was x-rayed and you got patted down. I was bringing back a 5 liter micro keg in my carry on. Not surprisingly, a large metal object going on a plane back then (this was around the time that one star got kidnapped) got anothe lot of attention. And their people carried machine pistols. I got grabbed by the arm as they opened my bag. They pulled my.bag open to show the giant can and I said "Ist gut Deutches bier" and luckily for me they all had a good chuckle and let me through.

It was good beer, too.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bulletsponge13 posted:

Coming home on midtour, I had a can of raviolis in my bag- I've been in the Army enough to know that they will gently caress up your travel, and leave you without poo poo. It gets picked up by the scanner. I explain, they say I can't touch my bag. "You can throw them away. That's fine."
"I can't touch your bag, Sir."
This discussion went on for about a minute or two before I told him, "I'm taking my bag and leaving to catch my flight. You can't stop me, and I don't see anyone around who can. One of us needs to throw it away."

I lost my raviolis that day. That was also the day I decided that I am going to make them touch my balls every time I fly.

I assumed this couldn't be the pasta dish, so I checked urban dictionary for raviolis and I don't think it's that either.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pasta dish. Like a can of Chef Boyardee.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
every airport that I've been in outside of the United States when somebody in security sees my cane I get ushered through the VIP line. US? Well better hope I can sit on my carry-on because I can't stand for the 45 minutes it takes to get through security so half the time I end up having to use the wheelchair service which is humiliating for me because I worked really hard to get out of the loving wheelchair and I never want to end up in another one.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MrUnderbridge posted:

I went through Nuremberg airport in 83 at the height of the "Evil Empire " days. You not only went through metal detectors, you stuff was x-rayed and you got patted down. I was bringing back a 5 liter micro keg in my carry on. Not surprisingly, a large metal object going on a plane back then (this was around the time that one star got kidnapped) got anothe lot of attention. And their people carried machine pistols. I got grabbed by the arm as they opened my bag. They pulled my.bag open to show the giant can and I said "Ist gut Deutches bier" and luckily for me they all had a good chuckle and let me through.

It was good beer, too.

Someone older than Greenmeat? :corsair:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

pkells posted:

The only fun part of that trip was when we were boarding the plane, the attendant made the courtesy “All active duty military can board first” announcement. The look of disgust and annoyance on the faces of the dozen or so people waiting in the premium fancy-pants exclusive line as a hundred people stood up and crowded their plane before they could board made the extra security checks worth it.

This still doesnt make sense to me. Why is boarding first a status thing? A high status should mean you get to be the one that spends the least amount of time on onboarding, last on/first off. I wait as long as I can before I get on the plane whether I'm flying coach or business cause gently caress sitting on a plane when I dont have to. Plus, it would be faster to board the people at the back of the plane first, instead of having everyone jammed in the aisles.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

This still doesnt make sense to me. Why is boarding first a status thing? A high status should mean you get to be the one that spends the least amount of time on onboarding, last on/first off. I wait as long as I can before I get on the plane whether I'm flying coach or business cause gently caress sitting on a plane when I dont have to. Plus, it would be faster to board the people at the back of the plane first, instead of having everyone jammed in the aisles.

First dibs on overhead compartment space

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

lightpole posted:

You're guaranteed to have room for your stuff in the overhead if you want, and on some airlines you don't have assigned seating. Plus the obvious "not waiting in line so long."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I flew out of Berlin in 1982 with a Smith-Corona electric typewriter in a steel travel case. I dropped it on the X-Ray belt and all sorts of alarms went off. They were not happy about that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

on some airlines you don't have assigned seating

You loving what?

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You've never heard of Southwest? It's a common thing on cheaper airlines.